Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? (1620 Views)

Is It Right For My Niece's Boyfriend To Visit Her In My House? / My Uncle Drove To My House To Report Me Because I Wore A Bikini–Nigerian Lady / Man Catches His Wife In A Hotel With Man, Says "I Have The Right To Kill You" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Sep 12, 2018
Okay ladies & gentlemen, here's the gist....

So, my dad has a large expanse of land in front of his bungalow. I left home after a heated quarrel one day to start life on my own. That was since February. Lol.

So fast forward to September 2018, dad requested for N200k to do something at home. I took it to his office since he preferred physical cash rather than bank transfer. While there, he said when my current rent expires, I should come back home and develop the plot (erect a storey building) in the compound, get married and live there with my family on one floor while my bro lives on the other floor and he and my mum remain in the bungalow at the other end of the compound.

Personally, I don't appreciate the extended family ish. I want to buy my own plot and live in my own compound not build a house in dad's compound. Besides, he is a very harsh person and shouts unnecessarily.... That's why I even left.

So people, what's your take on this?
Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by AfricaNigerian: 8:43pm On Sep 12, 2018
No!! No!! It makes no sense.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Michelle55: 8:43pm On Sep 12, 2018
Living a little bit far from home is the best, it will give you the maximum peace of mind and senerity you desire. Building a house far from home doesn't stop you from visiting nor taking care of your parents.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Miradamian: 9:07pm On Sep 12, 2018
If u are the first son,yea u can do that bc that place belongs to u after his death but if your brother is the first.then run run run bc u will be developing your brothers portion an will forfeit it to him when the heat starts.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Sep 12, 2018
AfricaNigerian:
No!! No!! It makes no sense.
My thoughts

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 12, 2018
Michelle55:
Living a little bit far from home is the best, it will give you the maximum peace of mind and senerity you desire. Building a house far from home doesn't stop you from visiting nor taking care of your parents.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 12, 2018
Miradamian:
If u are the first son,yea u can do that bc that place belongs to u after his death but if your brother is the first.then run run run bc u will be developing your brothers portion an will forfeit it to him when the heat starts.
Well, I'm the first son. We are only two children... But I'm a very private person. Lol.
Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Michelle55: 9:21pm On Sep 12, 2018
MasterRahl:
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
You are most welcome

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Mizwisdom(f): 10:47pm On Sep 12, 2018
Miradamian:

I don't think the OP mentioned his tribe o. There are some tribes where all the kids can inherit the properties of their parents equally. OP, where are you from, may I ask what is the practice of your culture in terms of inheritance, also do you know if your dad has a. will? I think if it's just the two of you he has then you can get him to write a will. Go ahead and build there, once you are sure that your name is in it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Sep 12, 2018
Mizwisdom:

I don't think the OP mentioned his tribe o. There are some tribes where all the kids can inherit the properties of their parents equally. OP, where are you from, may I ask what is the practice of your culture in terms of inheritance, also do you know if your dad has a. will? I think if it's just the two of you he has then you can get him to write a will. Go ahead and build there, once you are sure that your name is in it.
I'm from Akwa Ibom (Ibibio). Personally, I'm the ambitious kind and don't have any interest in his property. I'm more interested in getting mine.
Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by cococandy(f): 1:26am On Sep 13, 2018
Why is he making it your responsibility to build a house for your brother to live in?

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Eketem: 4:07am On Sep 13, 2018
Your dad seems controlling, this seems like a way to totally tie you to his control because once you build in his land he gets to have total control of everything you do from now on. I don't agree with it

I think he needs to calm down and start building a relationship with you instead of shouting and then looking for subtle ways to manipulate you.

I would run from such an offer.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Mizwisdom(f): 6:03am On Sep 13, 2018
MasterRahl:
I'm from Akwa Ibom (Ibibio). Personally, I'm the ambitious kind and don't have any interest in his property. I'm more interested in getting mine.

Akparawa mesiere, seek your own path for now.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Exponental(m): 7:45am On Sep 13, 2018
Pls don't. A friend's dad did something similar. He regrets his action.
Moreso, "familiarity breeds contempt"

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 13, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Akparawa mesiere, seek your own path for now.
Absolutely
Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Nobody: 8:28am On Sep 13, 2018
Exponental:
Pls don't. A friend's dad did something similar. He regrets his action.
Moreso, "familiarity breeds contempt"
You're right. Thanks bro
Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Nobody: 8:29am On Sep 13, 2018
Eketem:
Your dad seems controlling, this seems like a way to totally tie you to his control because once you build in his land he gets to have total control of everything you do from now on. I don't agree with it

I think he needs to calm down and start building a relationship with you instead of shouting and then looking for subtle ways to manipulate you.

I would run from such an offer.
I don dey run since. Lol. Once I'm ready, I'll get my land.
Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Nobody: 8:30am On Sep 13, 2018
cococandy:
Why is he making it your responsibility to build a house for your brother to live in?
Lol. Don't mind him. Actually, I'm trying hard to help my bro. Once he is strong, financial support will be withdrawn.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by chii8(f): 3:33pm On Sep 13, 2018
So that they will be monitoring your life abi?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Build My House In My Dad's Compound? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Sep 13, 2018
chii8:
So that they will be monitoring your life abi?
Lol. Don't mind them

(1) (Reply)

Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage / ## / Hi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.