Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here (5508 Views)

Cheap Cotonou Car/suv Delivered To Nigeria By Hassan See Pictures / ** / Tokunbo Cars In Cotonou Car Market Is Advantageous Compared To Nigeria,buy Yours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Consensus: 11:55am On Jul 05, 2010
Poster, I have scrutinized this thread very closely. Your objective sounds as attention seeking, disjointed, distorted and blinkered.

Who cares if you made $48k profit here on Nairaland? You are obviously into business on nairaland and aim to nulify other peoples biz so as to increase your so-called $48k profit.

Also why should only US/UK nairalanders beware? No offence meant to them, but are they superior or any better than Nigerian based nairalanders?.

A year ago, in my pursuit to get a car I desired, I was infact duped by a non-nairaland based family friend who lives in US, before I finnaly got my self and resources back together.

Femmy2010, tadeus, larryshow, mr nice guy, ayodeji and other real Cotonou dealers, keep doing your thing and stay united. Do not let this baseless thread demoralize you.

You are all doing a good job and well done.

Mods, This thread is to be discarded, disposed and thrown into the recycle bin.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by larryshow4(m): 12:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
@LondonCool,
I can see you online on Nairaland, The whole Nairalander demands detailed information on what really happened, Kindly tell us what happened and mention the name of the cotonou dealer you did business with. An integrity stands to be protected here.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jul 05, 2010
Kunle-A:

With keen interest, i am watching.

oyenit:

me sef dey watch ooooo

Tadeus:

Interestin, im watching also

Fhemmmy:

This will be another interesting thread.
Eyes are watching and minds are decoding . . . . . . .

funny people grin
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by texazzpete(m): 12:48pm On Jul 05, 2010
LondonCool:

If they dont change  their ways I will be compiling a list of complaints sent to me against some of these Cotonou car dealers here in order to prevent genuine members of the public from being taken on a ride. Watch this space !!

I'll call this how i see it here. if you really have valid complaints to share, why not post them right here, right now so that prospective customers can benefit?
I'm surprised people here seem to be pandering to your post. You're generalizing here, is that fair?
i've gone through your post history and lately it seems all you've been doing is to heckle all the Cotonou salesmen. Why haven't you extended this 'public service' to the other classes of Auto salesmen here on nairaland?
To be honest, at this point it really seems more likely that you have something to gain from the failure of this Cotonou business model. And i am saying this as a guy with zero interest (and hence full objectivity) in the Auto sales business.

This is not to say that all these Cotonou dealers are honest. But in all likelihood, the percentage of unserious people in that line of work should be similar to that seen in the pre-orders and auto import business.
The truth is, this who mess here is a BIG failure on the part of the mods here. This remains the only BST (Buy Sell Trade) forum i've seen where the first post isn't a sticky with tips on how to avoid scams.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by BizBooks(m): 1:24pm On Jul 05, 2010
I agree with others that LondonCool should provide names and incidents. If not, his credibility will be in jeopardy. But while we wait for that, I must say that part of his post may be having some positive effects. In the 3rd paragraph of his post, LondonCool wrote:

, Then with the increase in interest from UK/US based Nairalanders the Cotonou car agents started to add CLEARING OF CARS shipped Cotonou to their sales pitch/portfolio. They kept on updating their threads with smiley characters to remain relevant,

So far, the Cotonou dealers appear to be less aggressive in dominating the front page. Let's hope it stays that way.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by hackney(m): 2:03pm On Jul 05, 2010
never will i send money to n agent because they posted something here.
Nonsense.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by hackney(m): 2:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
Also people asking for alms here; i wonder who told them about nairaland in the midst
of there so-called  woes and sufferings .
oloshis'
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Fhemmmy: 2:15pm On Jul 05, 2010
Consensus:

Poster, I have scrutinized this thread very closely. Your objective sounds as attention seeking, disjointed, distorted and blinkered.

Who cares if you made $48k profit here on Nairaland? You are obviously into business on nairaland and aim to nulify other peoples biz so as to increase your so-called $48k profit.

Also why should only US/UK nairalanders beware? No offence meant to them, but are they superior or any better than Nigerian based nairalanders?.

A year ago, in my pursuit to get a car I desired, I was infact duped by a non-nairaland based family friend who lives in US, before I finnaly got my self and resources back together.

Femmy2010, tadeus, larryshow, mr nice guy, ayodeji and other real Cotonou dealers, keep doing your thing and stay united. Do not let this baseless thread demoralize you.

You are all doing a good job and well done.

Mods, This thread is to be discarded, disposed and thrown into the recycle bin.

Great comment, cos we are all same, just have different market base.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Tudor6(f): 3:20pm On Jul 05, 2010
Who else sees the irony??

Its no secret that majority of this cotonu sheesh involves bringing cars over the legal age limit into the country brought in through bribes to custom officials or smuggling routes.

Those days, My school and off camp apartment being close to the border its was common to hear of custom officers being shot by these criminals or pedestrians run over by speeding smugglers in an attempt to escape customs.

Now we see them here beating their chests claiming integrity and barking for people not to soil their 'good' name.

On sunday they will go to church and lift up their hands to heaven and thank god, then on monday they'll go shoot custom officers, give bribes and run over pedestrians. Some on their thread they'll give glory to god and allah for business and call gods blessings on their prospective customers.

Hey, i'm not saying you shouldnt be a criminal/murderer/smuggler/bribe giver but dont come here with the self-righteous BS.

Soon now drug dealers go begin claim integrity and hala us for spoiling their good name.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by texazzpete(m): 4:30pm On Jul 05, 2010
Tudór:

Its no secret that majority of this cotonu sheesh involves bringing cars over the legal age limit into the country brought in through bribes to custom officials or smuggling routes.

Those days, My school and off camp apartment being close to the border its was common to hear of custom officers being shot by these criminals or pedestrians run over by speeding smugglers in an attempt to escape customs.

Now we see them here beating their chests claiming integrity and barking for people not to soil their 'good' name.

On sunday they will go to church and lift up their hands to heaven and thank god, then on monday they'll go shoot custom officers, give bribes and run over pedestrians. Some on their thread they'll give glory to god and allah for business and call gods blessings on their prospective customers.

Hey, i'm not saying you shouldnt be a criminal/murderer/smuggler/bribe giver but dont come here with the self-righteous BS.

Soon now drug dealers go begin claim integrity and hala us for spoiling their good name.

And again with the generalization.
What is it with you people anyway?
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by ib612(m): 4:55pm On Jul 05, 2010
This is so funny.

Is the the owner of the site a policeman or law enforcer? I don't know if anyone tell facebook to look into some fraud commited on their home page and use their resources to do so since it's a free memebership site.

However, the poster has not made any valid accusation(s). It appears to me that he's angry at someone who did a bad job. This should not result in generalization. If, their is a fraud he should come out openly to mention the name of the Cotonou guy; it's that simle
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Tudor6(f): 5:34pm On Jul 05, 2010
texazzpete:

And again with the generalization.
What is it with you people anyway?

Can you show me where I made generalizations??

My claim that MOST cotonu deals are for overage vehicles is both true and undeniable. And we all know what goes on when the vehicle is overage, dont we?
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by KunleA2(m): 6:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
Tudór:

Tudór:

Can you show me where I made generalizations??

My claim that MOST cotonu deals are for overage vehicles is both true and undeniable. And we all know what goes on when the vehicle is overage, dont we?

Those smugglers that are getting chased down by the customs are the one that are trying to BEAT the customs. There are several others that simply give the customs what they are asking / supposed to get and will travel through the normal road without hassle.

The truth is that there are still several cars over 10years old that are in great shape and are affordable for the general populace. It will be tough to find any vehicle to come thru Lagos for less than N1m.

I really don't see any problem in Cotonou dealers advertising their trade. But when they don't do what they promise (which i am suspecting is why this thread was began in the first place), that is where it gets dicey.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Tudor6(f): 6:28pm On Jul 05, 2010
Kunle-A:

Those smugglers that are getting chased down by the customs are the one that are trying to BEAT the customs. There are several others that simply give the customs what they are asking / supposed to get and will travel through the normal road without hassle.

The truth is that there are still several cars over 10years old that are in great shape and are affordable for the general populace. It will be tough to find any vehicle to come thru Lagos for less than N1m.

I really don't see any problem in Cotonou dealers advertising their trade. But when they don't do what they promise (which i am suspecting is why this thread was began in the first place), that is where it gets dicey.

@bolded
Aka BRIBES not so? And we all cry about corruption lol

BTW, i have seen NL dealers being said to have brought in overage in cars without 'duty'.

Anyway I dont have problems with them neither do i judge them its just the hypocrisy that befuddles one.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Newest: 7:54pm On Jul 05, 2010
Nice Thread

See how pepz dey defend their self and Job and NL
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by larryshow4(m): 9:23pm On Jul 05, 2010
Tudór:

What your claims are is what i don't understand, you saying cotonou are meant for Underage car? You shouldn't bother talking about what you know nothing about, You said in your school you hear gunshot of customs and all of those, I think you don't know the different between Smuggling and Tokunbo cars, You need go get reason why the customs are shooting, but if i have to tell you, Smugglers smuggle Turkey and new material, and items that are been barned by the nigerian government, when it comes to that of car, its not up to that stage, try and get educated about issues you don't know about before you open your mouth to talk about it. I am not taking this personal, i am just teaching you what you don't know.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by larryshow4(m): 9:33pm On Jul 05, 2010
@House,
Let not turn this all around.
I am patiently waiting for londonCool to answer the questions.
Thanks
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by chelseabmw(m): 9:42pm On Jul 05, 2010
another useless thread from a dumb poster
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by chelseabmw(m): 9:44pm On Jul 05, 2010
[size=38pt]Thread Closed.[/size]
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by chelseabmw(m): 9:46pm On Jul 05, 2010
See the way people are wasting time on this thread. shocked
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by kuntash: 9:51pm On Jul 05, 2010
chelseabmw:

[size=38pt]Thread Closed.[/size]

shocked shocked are u deputizing for the moderator or Seun?
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Tudor6(f): 9:54pm On Jul 05, 2010
larryshow4:

What your claims are is what i don't understand, you saying cotonou are meant for Underage car? You shouldn't bother talking about what you know nothing about, You said in your school you hear gunshot of customs and all of those, I think you don't know the different between Smuggling and Tokunbo cars, You need go get reason why the customs are shooting, but if i have to tell you, Smugglers smuggle Turkey and new material, and items that are been barned by the nigerian government, when it comes to that of car, its not up to that stage, try and get educated about issues you don't know about before you open your mouth to talk about it. I am not taking this personal, i am just teaching you what you don't know.

Did this guy read my post at all or you're just being sentimental because you happen to be a cotonu dealer??

Coz I honestly dont see how one can deduce what you've typed up there from my post.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by femmy2010(m): 10:04pm On Jul 05, 2010
Nigerians which Nairalanders are an integer part of a not stupid nor senseless.If someone could wake up one day and devote a thread at expressing what he says was an unfair dealing he had in the hands of a purported Cotonou dealer,i just feel the said Poster should have complete his good deed by at least revealing the identity of the erring nairaland auto dealer.
We are trying very hard to free ourselves from the negative pressing we get from the western media but why would a BROTHER now make AN ASSUMED wrong accusation that would go a very long way at denting the little goodwill some people are trying to build for them self?
Let us take things easy sha.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Busybody2(f): 12:00am On Jul 06, 2010
Tudór:

Did this guy read my post at all or you're just being sentimental because you happen to be a cotonu dealer??

Coz I honestly dont see how one can deduce what you've typed up there from my post.

You are the one who needs to get yourself in the loop again. Yeah some smugglers fayawo through the bush to save the N50,000 odd fees, but going through this route and the Nigerian Police using you as their meal ticket has drastically reduced the number of people who engage in these activities because the money they are trying to save would be spent in three months or less trying to settle the numerous Nigerian Police they encounter daily.

By the way, no Cotonue dealer on Nairaland has ever been accused of purchasing cars and fayawoing it, otherwise we would have heard of it

And it is only older cars that come through Cotonue, ho do you explain 2005, 2006, 2007, and upwards cars available for sale there and the VIN campaign has led to people's awareness to make sure they are not buying a lemon, so what gives undecided
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by frankcj(m): 12:02am On Jul 06, 2010
any idea how much to convert right hand vehicle to left hand in nigeria apparently.
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Busybody2(f): 12:10am On Jul 06, 2010
To the unelected member of the Jury acting on their constitutional right to  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

If i remember right, Londoncool said he has proofs, so methinks people need to be patient and he should be allowed to have his say, some people have to work you know, hence cannot afford to be on Nairaland 24/7. And  y'all need to forget that side that Londoncool is trying to use this thread to gain attention to himself, if not that yawa nearly gassed with his selfless commitment to helping people with their travel related needs to any part of the World, when you talk of the travel section, he is the one, number one, he held the forte with comrade VOR, with Akolawole often chipping in his two cents worth too occasionally cool
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Busybody2(f): 12:13am On Jul 06, 2010
frankcj:

any idea how much to convert right hand vehicle to left hand in nigeria apparently.

It depends on the make of the car, to the cost and availability of the spare parts. You get liver coming here oh, berra take your query to another thread before those baying for the OP's blood descends on your ar.s.e cheesy
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by LondonCool(m): 12:17am On Jul 06, 2010
Let me first of all begin by quoting one of my ex-lecturers at ABU, Dr Patrick Wilmot. He said  

"All that I have tried to do is to hold up a mirror so that you can see your own reflection. If you do not like what you see, breaking the mirror will change nothing, neither will cutting my arm off, killing me will change even less. The truth of a man cannot be dissolved in his blood".

Before this thread diverges I'd like to state that I have sorted out the salient issues (and prevented a financial loss) with the agent and can only say that in doing business in Nigeria "all that glitters is not gold".

From UK we wish  in theory we could buy our cars ,ship it through Cotonou,clear it, successfully convert it to LHD, and sell it through the same Agent and repeat the same cycle through the "One-Stop-Shop-Cotonou-Agent". In practice, my experience was different-hence the alert.

I had never accused anyone here of fraud. Perhaps, I'd should rather call it "fraudulent misrepresentation"-the agent may  see it differently and call it "Smooth Talk". I had to send my representative to sort out things on my behalf with the aforesaid Agent and it seems it is a very murky terrain out there. A lot of misrepresentations were made to me which made me to make lots of financial assumptions and commitments about our transaction.

After knowing what I now knew about what went wrong I ask myself the question "was there an intention to deceive by the agent and was it acted upon ?". I reluctantly say "No". Maybe he was too over zealous in trying to secure a buy-in from me OR maybe by rushing to post this thread I nipped an unanticipated situation in the bud. I am not here to SPOIL anyone's business or TARNISH the solid reputation of proven Cotonou agents; hence I will not be naming names (sorry to dissappoint the skeptics). Nevertheless, the points, issues and recommendations I made concerning the future way the business should be conducted still stands.

Someone mentioned (i.e Consensus ??) why my thread was addressed to US/UK Nairalanders as if they were superior to the Nigerian based Nairalanders et al. I'd like to say that I was addressing a concern that had to do with shipping/clearing Cars from Europe to Cotonou and needed to let them beware of emerging trends from certain agents. Conversely,if the glove was on the other hand and I was based in Nigeria and had problems about a US/UK based Nairalander who misrepresented his ability to deliver a pre-order shipping transaction I would have aptly titled the thread "Beware of UK/US based pre-order shipping agents". We are all Nigerians and our location does not make us inferior/superior to one another.

@Busy body,
Long time and thanks !!
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by fizzybaba(m): 1:07pm On Jul 06, 2010
LondonCool:

Let me first of all begin by quoting one of my ex-lecturers at ABU, Dr Patrick Wilmot. He said

"All that I have tried to do is to hold up a mirror so that you can see your own reflection. If you do not like what you see, breaking the mirror will change nothing, neither will cutting my arm off, killing me will change even less. The truth of a man cannot be dissolved in his blood".

Before this thread diverges I'd like to state that I have sorted out the salient issues (and prevented a financial loss) with the agent and can only say that in doing business in Nigeria "all that glitters is not gold".

From UK we wish in theory we could buy our cars ,ship it through Cotonou,clear it, successfully convert it to LHD, and sell it through the same Agent and repeat the same cycle through the "One-Stop-Shop-Cotonou-Agent". In practice, my experience was different-hence the alert.

[b]I had never accused anyone here of fraud. Perhaps, I'd should rather call it "fraudulent misrepresentation"-the agent may see it differently and call it "Smooth Talk". I had to send my representative to sort out things on my behalf with the aforesaid Agent and it seems it is a very murky terrain out there. A lot of misrepresentations were made to me which made me to make lots of financial assumptions and commitments about our transaction.

After knowing what I now knew about what went wrong I ask myself the question "was there an intention to deceive by the agent and was it acted upon ?". I reluctantly say "No". Maybe he was too over zealous in trying to secure a buy-in from me OR maybe by rushing to post this thread I nipped an unanticipated situation in the bud. I am not here to SPOIL anyone's business or TARNISH the solid reputation of proven Cotonou agents; hence I will not be naming names (sorry to dissappoint the skeptics). Nevertheless, the points, issues and recommendations I made concerning the future way the business should be conducted still stan[/b]ds.

Someone mentioned (i.e Consensus ??) why my thread was addressed to US/UK Nairalanders as if they were superior to the Nigerian based Nairalanders et al. I'd like to say that I was addressing a concern that had to do with shipping/clearing Cars from Europe to Cotonou and needed to let them beware of emerging trends from certain agents. Conversely,if the glove was on the other hand and I was based in Nigeria and had problems about a US/UK based Nairalander who misrepresented his ability to deliver a pre-order shipping transaction I would have aptly titled the thread "Beware of UK/US based pre-order shipping agents". We are all Nigerians and our location does not make us inferior/superior to one another.

@Busy body,
Long time and thanks !!

THAT IS WHERE YOUR FAULT LIES

LEARN TO BE EXPLICIT IN UR STATEMENTS-GENERAL PRINCIPLE OF LIFE

Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by Tudor6(f): 2:05pm On Jul 06, 2010
Busy_body:

You are the one who needs to get yourself in the loop again. Yeah some smugglers fayawo through the bush to save the N50,000 odd fees, but going through this route and the Nigerian Police using you as their meal ticket has drastically reduced the number of people who engage in these activities because the money they are trying to save would be spent in three months or less trying to settle the numerous Nigerian Police they encounter daily.

By the way, no Cotonue dealer on Nairaland has ever been accused of purchasing cars and fayawoing it, otherwise we would have heard of it

And it is only older cars that come through Cotonue, ho do you explain 2005, 2006, 2007, and upwards cars available for sale there and the VIN campaign has led to people's awareness to make sure they are not buying a lemon, so what gives undecided

Why did you fail to read my post??
Where have i stated that cotonu deals ONLY involve overage cars? Could you please just provide me the quote?

I said MAJORITY of the cars bought from cotonu are overage. Majority doesnt equal ALL pls.

In all the cotonu threads i've seen, you see them giving quotes to customers for overage cars. Even some of the preorder dudes offer to preorder overage vehicles and ship through cotonu.

So can you tell me how the so-called dealers get these illegal car imports into nigeria since you must have heard it all? Through magic?
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by chelseabmw(m): 3:17pm On Jul 06, 2010
is this thread still open? angry
Re: UK/US Nairalanders Beware Of These Cotonou Car Agents Here by VALIDATOR: 3:42pm On Jul 06, 2010
@Tudor,
Thank you for your contributions.
Talking about overage cars. I think the law should be reviewed. A normal non-fraudulent Nigerian with a normal non-political job will NOT be able to save enough money to buy a car less than 10years old with 15 years of hard work.
That law seems to favor only the politicians who get lots of Ghana must go every now and then.
There is no local car manufacturers that that law is trying to protect.

I am not supporting smuggling but if the law is against the happiness of normal-Nigerians what else can they do?
I believe that law needs reviewing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2008 Hover Jeep For Sale(nigerian Used) / 6 Months Used Toyota Camry / Nigerian Used Bmw 318i (e36) PRICE REDUCTION 400K LAST!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.