Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,283 members, 7,826,115 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:02 AM

21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. (48822 Views)

Some Commonly Confused Animals: Can You Tell Them Apart? / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? / 10 More Pairs Of Commonly Confused Animals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by omartins(m): 2:07pm On Sep 15, 2018
Thanks for this....

(9)complement: to add to so as to improve; an addition that improves something
compliment: to praise or express approval; an admiring remark.

2 Likes

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by SocialJustice: 2:16pm On Sep 15, 2018
OboOlora:
Op, please include being and been.

And pls advise Nigerians that it’s I’m or I am and not am! Foolish people !!!

Meanwhile, Op try change ur DP. U b like bush baby cheesy
This 'am' started like a joke. See where we are today. The newest and most disgusting is adding 'S' to uncountable noun.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Jarus(m): 2:21pm On Sep 15, 2018
#20 is not totally correct.

Both meter and metre are correct as metric unit. One is just American spelling and the other British.

6 Likes

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Sukakma(m): 2:27pm On Sep 15, 2018
Babysho:
That Advice and Advise is still confusing lol. I'll probably misuse them for the rest of my life.
Walai!! I write anyhow my head tells me..I'll advice/advise you to do that also.. grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by ItsTime4me(m): 2:30pm On Sep 15, 2018
Babysho:
That Advice and Advise is still confusing lol. I'll probably misuse them for the rest of my life.
Just remember that the one that ends with 'se' is the verb while the one that ends with 'ce' is the noun.

For example:
I. I'd advise/advice you to take your studies
serious.
2. My dad gave me a piece of advise/advice.

In the first example, the part of speech that belongs there is a verb, so the right word is 'advise'. Whereas in the second example, what belongs there is a noun, hence the right word is 'advice'.

2 Likes

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Aybee92(m): 2:32pm On Sep 15, 2018
What about center and centre
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by ItsTime4me(m): 2:34pm On Sep 15, 2018
Jarus:
#20 is not totally correct.

Both meter and metre are correct as metric unit. One is just American spelling and the other British.
Very correct. The one that ends with 're' is British while the one that ends with 'er' is American.

3 Likes

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by AmazingELixir: 2:36pm On Sep 15, 2018
grin

Loose and lose

Been and being

Choose and chose

These sets of words fvckd me up severally in secondary school had to study them thoroughly to perfect their applications..

Well done Op.

1 Like

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by ItsTime4me(m): 2:36pm On Sep 15, 2018
Aybee92:
What about center and centre
Same rule of British and American versions. Centre is to British as Center is to American.

1 Like

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by jaszplus12(m): 2:40pm On Sep 15, 2018
Babysho:
I advise you to heed the OPs advice since you might also advise someone sometimes in life to heed the same advice.... Sirrrrr!

3 Likes

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Premiumwriter: 2:41pm On Sep 15, 2018
Jh0wsef:
I still can't tell the difference between 1. bubu: Nigeria's skeletal structure in power And mumu: a political leader in Nigeria sad
savage grin

Sowore for 2019.

Looking for a dedicated writer for your blog or website?
Contact me. My articles are always unique and fluent kiss

2 Likes

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by OboOlora(f): 2:44pm On Sep 15, 2018
SocialJustice:
This 'am' started like a joke. See where we are today. The newest and most disgusting is adding 'S' to uncountable noun.
Informations grin
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by qanda: 2:45pm On Sep 15, 2018
Useful. Learning point.. Nos 11-15,18. We dey try, My papa no be Oyibo Man

You want to increase your overall networth? You desire a valuable network, increased customers and business patronage?

Start paying attention to the information you consume. Spend more time reading curated information on the Business/Career section of Q and A App.

How many hours have you spent reading valuable books this year? How many books have you read this year? How many hours do you spend on social media daily?

Spend more time reading useful resources on Q and A App, so you can increase your networth.

Download Q and A App from Google Playstore
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by hpymoment(f): 2:51pm On Sep 15, 2018
Babysho:
I advice you to move on and stop calling your ex grin( suggestion)
I advise you use Airtel network it's faster ( recommendation).

My own understanding.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by WHE3LCHAIR: 2:51pm On Sep 15, 2018
IYANGBALI:
Rubbish!

It's rubbish because you're an olodo.

1 Like

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by WHE3LCHAIR: 2:53pm On Sep 15, 2018
OboOlora:
Op, please include being and been.

And pls advise Nigerians that it’s I’m or I am and not am! Foolish people !!!

Meanwhile, Op try change ur DP. U b like bush baby cheesy

Shut up! She's pretty.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by WHE3LCHAIR: 2:54pm On Sep 15, 2018
Next time add compare Buhari and LIFELESSness.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by ItsTime4me(m): 2:56pm On Sep 15, 2018
hpymoment:

I advice you to move on and stop calling your ex grin( suggestion)
I advise you use Airtel network it's faster ( recommendation).

My own understanding.
Sorry. In the first example, the word should be advise, because in that context it is acting as an action word, which is a verb.

1 Like

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by gbishman: 3:04pm On Sep 15, 2018
This very helpful,good job
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Sleekfingers: 3:06pm On Sep 15, 2018
AmazingELixir:
grin

Loose and lose

Been and being

Choose and chose

These sets of words fvckd me up severally in secondary school had to study them thoroughly to perfect their applications..

Well done Op.
stop using severally. It is incorrect. Simply use several. I don't know why Nigerians use that word. Severally means separately
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by ignis: 3:06pm On Sep 15, 2018
Babysho:
Better refer to your lexicon.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by madridguy(m): 3:14pm On Sep 15, 2018
Educating thread.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by jayboy112233: 3:19pm On Sep 15, 2018
Educative
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by AmazingELixir: 3:21pm On Sep 15, 2018
Sleekfingers:
stop using severally. It is incorrect. Simply use several. I don't know why Nigerians use that word. Severally means separately

grin

Thanks bruv.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by SocialJustice: 3:24pm On Sep 15, 2018
OboOlora:

Informations grin
As in, ehn. grin
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by IYANGBALI: 3:43pm On Sep 15, 2018
WHE3LCHAIR:

It's rubbish because you're an olodo.
tongue tongue
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Edoblakky(m): 3:54pm On Sep 15, 2018
Very nice piece but a transcription would have made it perfect and helpful to remember.
Advice - advais (noun)
Advise - advaiz(verb )

Many thanks for sharing
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by OhiOfIhima: 3:55pm On Sep 15, 2018
TeeSeven:
For me, it's "been" and "being". All of a sudden (unlike before) I just started to mix them up. Interestingly, I understand it but I have to choose them carefully wink smiley

Seriously u are not d only one in dis poo brother.. I sent a msg to a friend of mine not too long ago for dis been n being.. It not funny.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Edoblakky(m): 4:06pm On Sep 15, 2018
OhiOfIhima:

Seriously u are not d only one in dis poo brother.. I sent a msg to a friend of mine not too long ago for dis been n being.. It not funny.
The way to get been and being correctly is to observe the verb before it. For example, been always comes after modals like has, have and had. Examples: I have been waiting. They have been approved by the government.

Every other verb goes with being e.g he is being considered for the job. They are being trained on the equipment use.
I hope this clarifies it a bit

2 Likes

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Frenchkiss(m): 4:31pm On Sep 15, 2018
Babysho:
Think of the word "advisement" - verb to adverb, you'll never get them mixed up as adverbs are derived from verbs.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Female Student's Love Letter To A Corper (photo) / Fresh Graduate Of Yabatech Dies After Being Stabbed During Signing Out (Photos) / NDA Past Questions And Answers | Download Up-to-date Free Past Questions Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.