Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,021 members, 7,953,053 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:55 AM

21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. (49044 Views)

Some Commonly Confused Animals: Can You Tell Them Apart? / What's A Person Who Studies/studied English Language Called? / 10 More Pairs Of Commonly Confused Animals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Reference(m): 4:35pm On Sep 15, 2018
traihit:
This is one of the reasons why reading is important no matter your age or class. For second language users of English language like Nigerians and since it's our formal language, it's only more beneficial if we improve daily in the usage of the language especially the written language. At the same time, I'd never relegate my mother's tongue. No language is as beautiful as my own language.

Sorry sir, but English is the language of my birth and I'm a Nigerian. I know no other language. So it cannot possibly be a second language to me.

1 Like

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by omoelerin1: 4:37pm On Sep 15, 2018
Babysho:
That Advice and Advise is still confusing lol. I'll probably misuse them for the rest of my life.
In American English, 'advice' is used both as noun and verb.
In British English, 'advise' is verb. While 'advice' is noun.

The same applies to 'practice' and 'practise'

1 Like

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Predstan: 4:38pm On Sep 15, 2018
Sleekfingers:
stop using severally. It is incorrect. Simply use several. I don't know why Nigerians use that word. Severally means separately
... Check you dictionary... Severally also mean repeatedly but na Africans day use am like dat... But you are correct.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by traihit: 4:55pm On Sep 15, 2018
Reference:

Sorry sir, but English is the language of my birth and I'm a Nigerian. I know no other language. So it cannot possibly be a second language to me.

But language scholars refer Nigerians as L2 (second language) users of English. Mother - tongue is still mother - tongue whether you can speak it or not. So you're still L2 user though you say you know no other language.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by omoelerin1: 4:58pm On Sep 15, 2018
Reference:

English is the second language to your Nigerian parents who spoke it to you at birth.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by valicvicto(f): 5:12pm On Sep 15, 2018
English is nt my father's language. I can't come and kill myself. I can't come and kill myself.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by OhiOfIhima: 5:18pm On Sep 15, 2018
Edoblakky:

The way to get been and being correctly is to observe the verb before it. For example, been always comes after modals like has, have and had. Examples: I have been waiting. They have been approved by the government.

Every other verb goes with being e.g he is being considered for the job. They are being trained on the equipment use.
I hope this clarifies it a bit

Thank u so much... More blessing bro
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by babeosisi: 5:23pm On Sep 15, 2018
Silentscreamer:
English Language has a lot of words that can easily confuse the speaker, and lots of people make these mistakes while speaking, chatting or posting comments without realising it. Below are some of the commonly confused words English speakers use in their everyday conversations:

(1)advice (noun): recommendations about what to do
advise (verb): to recommend something

(2)aisle: a passage between rows of seats
isle: an island

(3)stationary: not moving
stationery: writing materials

(4)palate: the roof of the mouth
palette: a board for mixing colours

(5)assent: agreement, approval
ascent: the action of rising or climbing up

(6)principal: most important; the head of a school
principle: a fundamental rule or belief

(7)canvas: a type of strong cloth
canvass: to seek people’s votes

(cool chord: a group of musical notes
cord: a length of string; a cord-like body part

(9)complement: to add to so as to improve; an addition that improves something
compliment: to praise or express approval; an admiring remark

(10)council: a group of people who manage or advise
counsel: advice; to advise

(11)defuse: to make a situation less tense
diffuse: to spread over a wide area

(12)discreet: careful not to attract attention
discrete: separate and distinct

(13)disinterested: impartial
uninterested: not interested

(14)envelop: to cover or surround
envelope: a paper container for a letter

(15)forbear: to refrain
forebear: an ancestor

(16)foreword: an introduction to a book
forward: onwards, ahead

(17)hoard: a store
horde: a large crowd of people

(18)loath: reluctant, unwilling
loathe: to hate

(19)loose: to unfasten; to set free
lose: to be deprived of; to be unable to find

(20)meter: a measuring device
metre: a metric unit; rhythm in verse

(21) their (adjective): of, belonging to,made by, or done by them. They did their home work.
there (noun): that place or point. Put it there.

Which of them have you been using wrongly?

Source: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/usage/commonly-confused-words

How about severally.
Nigerians misuse that word
When they want to say I called him many times they say I called him severally.
Severally doesn't mean many times
99% of Nigerians make that error

Severally means individually or independentally as in severally and jointly
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by samjey: 5:46pm On Sep 15, 2018
Jh0wsef:
I still can't tell the difference between
1. bubu: Nigeria's skeletal structure in power
And mumu: a political leader in Nigeria sad

grin
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by obinna58(m): 5:51pm On Sep 15, 2018
Enemity vs enmity
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Jarus(m): 5:59pm On Sep 15, 2018
obinna58:
Enemity vs enmity

There is no word as enemity.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by obinna58(m): 6:11pm On Sep 15, 2018
Jarus:

There is no word as enemity.
Enmity is an update formally known as enemity
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by valuedammy(m): 6:18pm On Sep 15, 2018
Babysho:
That Advice and Advise is still confusing lol. I'll probably misuse them for the rest of my life.
Let me give you some piece of advice, I would advise you to always take note of the two words whenever you are writing, they are not so difficult to use.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by spako4(m): 6:20pm On Sep 15, 2018
Ok
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Intrepid007: 6:20pm On Sep 15, 2018
Babysho:

What I use to establish the difference between both is that Advice (with -vice) is the noun while the one with an "s" is the verb.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Hardebayo(m): 6:59pm On Sep 15, 2018
Good one OP, also Centre and Center.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Legolast: 7:04pm On Sep 15, 2018
will2lead:
Order yours in bulk or pairs today

How much does the mouse cost?
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Jarus(m): 7:08pm On Sep 15, 2018
obinna58:

Enmity is an update formally known as enemity

Interesting.
I doubt it.
Source?
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by nkhay(f): 7:23pm On Sep 15, 2018
Thanks
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by myMiracle(m): 7:25pm On Sep 15, 2018
I am now well informed, thanks Silentscreamer
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Focus24emma: 7:57pm On Sep 15, 2018
Good
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by damtan(m): 10:50pm On Sep 15, 2018
Are you sure about no 8?? chord serves both meaning; in music and geometry
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by mustamin(m): 7:51am On Sep 16, 2018
Mine is defense and defence

1 Like

Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by AceRoot(m): 8:18am On Sep 16, 2018
mustamin:
Mine is defense and defence

Defense is generally used, but in anything british, Defence is preferred.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Silentscreamer(f): 8:49am On Sep 16, 2018
bestieboy:

About the most educative, accurate and make sense post I've read on NL in a long time. No sentiments, yeyebrity nor vanity. Well done, OP
Thanks
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by bewla(m): 8:50am On Sep 16, 2018
Jh0wsef:
I still can't tell the difference between
1. bubu: Nigeria's skeletal structure in power
And mumu: a political leader in Nigeria sad
Another on line not fervor youth if u can't bit them join them na Naija we they nothing the happen
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by charlsecy(m): 9:36am On Sep 16, 2018
Silentscreamer:
disinterested: impartial
uninterested: not interested
Not really. Disinterest could also mean lack of interest in something.
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 07, 2020
[quote author=Babysho post=71222917]That Advice and Advise is still confusing lol. I'll probably misuse them for the rest of my life.[/quot

Example: I advise you to take my advice...
Re: 21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. by Mypeople2(m): 9:48pm On Feb 01, 2022
OboOlora:
Op, please include being and been.

And pls advise Nigerians that it’s I’m or I am and not am! Foolish people !!!

Meanwhile, Op try change ur DP. U b like bush baby cheesy
You use been for sentences containing have, has or had .While being is used in sentences not containing has ,have or had

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ibrahim Waziri Jnr: The HND Graduate From Nigeria Who Earned A Phd In America / Reptile Found In Edo University's Engineering Workshop / 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.