Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? (1843 Views)

Poll: Will Those Days Ever Return?

Yes: 64% (20 votes)
No: 35% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say / Odion Ighalo: The New Face Of Nigerian Football / Globacom Premier League: The Nigerian Football League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by JIY: 6:48am On Jul 05, 2010
Will the glory days of Nigerian football ever return? Those were days of innocence. Pre-internet saturation days, and not everyone had access to cable or Satellite tv. One or two benevolent well-to-do persons in your neighborhood would have access to satellite. There we gathered on weekends to see our stars--Tijani Babangida,  Finidi George, Sunday Oliseh, Daniel Amokachi, et al. We were so proud. We adopted as our own the club sides in which our players plied their careers.

Those days were days of innocence. We were not worldly-wise then as we are now. We knew we had potential. We suspected we were good, but we didn't think we were the giant of anything.

Then we became worldly-wise and our eyes opened. Suddenly, we were the giants of Africa, no longer Green Eagles, but Super Eagles.

Our players grew fat with pride and the whole nation got drunk with delusion. We are Nigeria, don't you know? Who is Ghana? Who is Cameroon? Who is Zambia? Zimbabwe? ho,ho, ho, ,
Angola? Who born monkey?! Even if we are half awake or playing with one leg hobbled, Angola cannot even dare, haba!

Fiam!
We did not qualify for the 2006 World Cup. Forget about that, we are still Nigeria, Super Eagles, giant of Africa. Angola did not really beat us, you see. We only allowed them. Even Jay-Jay alone, ehn! Jay-Jay alone,  ah tey you!

Sani Lulu
: "Lagerback, le' me tey you, Nigeria is di giant of Africa. You ge' me? Super Eagles! so derefore, we ca' no settu for anytin le' dan semifinal a' de wol cu', she u ge' me! dat is you bench-mark, shebi--em, da' mean, em--wat is de wor? neva min'. dat is our yar stick, semifinal at South Africa, aw rait? gut!"

Nigerian Fans
: Yeh! Semifinal!

Nairaland forum: hey! wat do you tink shul be the lineup of di supa eagle! wat about de twin-strikin'  DUO, of Yakubu and Obinna.

1st respondent
: u de craze? your head no correct! u even went tu school at al at al? de best option 4 naija go be Osaze n Martins! olosi!

2nd respondent
: chineke! wa do u mean? triple striking no quesion!  Martins, Yakubu, Ogbuke. 4-3-3. a beg if you no sabi footbal  make u no open ya mouth! nonsense!

President Goodluck Jonathan
: As we are sending you off to South Africa, stop at nothing but victory. Bring back the cup and make us proud.

Super Eagles
: We are the giants of Africa, we are the Super Eagles!

CNN
: In another development, the president of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, has ban his nation's soccer team from all international competitions for two years. This follows the Super Eagles' disappointing run at FIFA World Cup, currently taking place in South Africa, where they finished at the bottom of their group. Viewers would recall that the USA won their group that included England.

The rest of the World
: This people are crazy!  Don't you know? Nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the World!

Nairaland forum
: Kill Kaita! slaughter Yakubu! tank u mister president! If ah catch Largerback ehn! de wan kill nigerian football! Nonsense! Mendacious, pell-mell! u de use big-big words ehn! Uwaka, ubanka! wawa! Olosi! Olori buruku! e no go to skul! see im maut!
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by Martha0602(f): 11:38am On Jul 05, 2010
The glory of Nigerian football will definitely return, but only if we do the right thing by bringing in new players new Eagles and not this trash that could not even kill a fly. Kaita, Yakubu please tell the to far away from the pitch or else they are looking for their death yeye people. Mr. President is already taking step to that.
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by chukz4real(m): 11:58am On Jul 05, 2010
Hmmm, nice one.
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by chukz4real(m): 12:07pm On Jul 05, 2010
Martha0602:

The glory of Nigerian football will definitely return, but only if we do the right thing by bringing in new players new Eagles and not this trash that could not even kill a fly. Kaita, Yakubu please tell the to far away from the pitch or else they are looking for their death yeye people. Mr. President is already taking step to that.

Ghana progressed to the quarter finals because there team was made up of more of their under 21 while Nigeria depended on their same old legs that played last world cup. Why can't we start by building a team from Siasia and Tella' boys. As for Kaita, Nigerians should come to understand that funny things do happen in footbal and let Kaita be.
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by Riodiao(m): 1:39pm On Jul 05, 2010
Who is super eagles worst ever striker?
A) yakubu B) Aiyegbeni C) Yakubu Aiyegbeni D) All of d above. Send ur ans to mail.englishpremiereleague.com Winners would be given an exclusive all expenses paid trip 2 watch yakubu play 4 everton against champions chelsea in d premiere league game. Entry closes 7pm fifa deadline 2day. Hurry!!
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by Adechyno(m): 1:59pm On Jul 05, 2010
E go tey!!!
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by BloodShed1: 2:08pm On Jul 05, 2010
With all the players we've had over the years and their great potential, there should have been even better days.

But hopefully the plague of corruption will be eradicated once and for all.
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by chidichris(m): 2:40pm On Jul 05, 2010
it is just a simple thing. get a president who has passion for football and u see everything will just change over night.
look back to what u call our glorious days, it is nothing but abacha's regime. the man abacha loves football more than anyother thing but after him, we have presidents who love crude oil more than anyother thing.
look at roman ibrahimovic - the chelsea owner is just in love with football and u see the passion in him while his club plays. look at the days of orji uzor kalu - the pillar of sports as the gov of abia state. he love soccer so much that he always travel with the team and have his place on the team's bench and we saw the output when eyimba of aba became the first nigerian clubside to win caf champions league and they won it twice in a strecth.
give me a leader whose hobbies include soccer and i will show u his achievements in that direction.
under obasanjo regime, we saw the activeness of nafdac, under yar adua, we saw the activeness of the judiciary so abacha made football the talk of the town and that is the case with every leader so we are watching jonathan maybe, he will make the chase of ibori his hobby.
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by CarlosVent(m): 3:03pm On Jul 05, 2010
yes in siasia or amodu it will
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by Iceugwa(m): 3:35pm On Jul 05, 2010
I pray oh. Its been ages Nigeria won any thing
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by Kgdavid(m): 3:51pm On Jul 05, 2010
JIY:

Will the glory days of Nigerian football ever return? Those were days of innocence. Pre-internet saturation days, and not everyone had access to cable or Satellite tv. One or two benevolent well-to-do persons in your neighborhood would have access to satellite. There we gathered on weekends to see our stars--Tijani Babangida, Finidi George, Sunday Oliseh, Daniel Amokachi, et al. We were so proud. We adopted as our own the club sides in which our players plied their careers.

Those days were days of innocence. We were not worldly-wise then as we are now. We knew we had potential. We suspected we were good, but we didn't think we were the giant of anything.

Then we became worldly-wise and our eyes opened. Suddenly, we were the giants of Africa, no longer Green Eagles, but Super Eagles.

Our players grew fat with pride and the whole nation got drunk with delusion. We are Nigeria, don't you know? Who is Ghana? Who is Cameroon? Who is Zambia? Zimbabwe? ho,ho, ho, ,
Angola? Who born monkey?! Even if we are half awake or playing with one leg hobbled, Angola cannot even dare, haba!

Fiam!
We did not qualify for the 2006 World Cup. Forget about that, we are still Nigeria, Super Eagles, giant of Africa. Angola did not really beat us, you see. We only allowed them. Even Jay-Jay alone, ehn! Jay-Jay alone, ah tey you!

Sani Lulu
: "Lagerback, le' me tey you, Nigeria is di giant of Africa. You ge' me? Super Eagles! so derefore, we ca' no settu for anytin le' dan semifinal a' de wol cu', she u ge' me! dat is you bench-mark, shebi--em, da' mean, em--wat is de wor? neva min'. dat is our yar stick, semifinal at South Africa, aw rait? gut!"

Nigerian Fans
: Yeh! Semifinal!

Nairaland forum: hey! wat do you tink shul be the lineup of di supa eagle! wat about de twin-strikin' DUO, of Yakubu and Obinna.

1st respondent
: u de craze? your head no correct! u even went tu school at al at al? de best option 4 naija go be Osaze n Martins! olosi!

2nd respondent
: chineke! wa do u mean? triple striking no quesion! Martins, Yakubu, Ogbuke. 4-3-3. a beg if you no sabi footbal make u no open ya mouth! nonsense!

President Goodluck Jonathan
: As we are sending you off to South Africa, stop at nothing but victory. Bring back the cup and make us proud.

Super Eagles
: We are the giants of Africa, we are the Super Eagles!

CNN
: In another development, the president of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, has ban his nation's soccer team from all international competitions for two years. This follows the Super Eagles' disappointing run at FIFA World Cup, currently taking place in South Africa, where they finished at the bottom of their group. Viewers would recall that the USA won their group that included England.

The rest of the World
: This people are crazy! Don't you know? Nigeria is one of the most corrupt countries in the World!

Nairaland forum
: Kill Kaita! slaughter Yakubu! tank u mister president! If ah catch Largerback ehn! de wan kill nigerian football! Nonsense! Mendacious, pell-mell! u de use big-big words ehn! Uwaka, ubanka! wawa! Olosi! Olori buruku! e no go to skul! see im maut!

excellent write up.
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by tkb417(m): 4:02pm On Jul 05, 2010
This is why i love being a Nigerian

nice write up mahn

nice one

love the Sani Lulu part

come collect 10kobo for ur effort grin grin grin grin
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by otokx(m): 4:27pm On Jul 05, 2010
There is a relationship between the super eagles performance and the general society at large which is very pathetic to say the least.
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by Orbylii(f): 7:26pm On Jul 05, 2010
Yes it will only when all these mumu people leave office. I can't wait anyway! grin
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by JIY: 8:42pm On Jul 05, 2010
look back to what u call our glorious days, it is nothing but abacha's regime. the man abacha loves football more than anyother thing but after him, we have presidents who love crude oil more than anyother thing.

chidichris, you're exactly right. Abacha may have got it wrong in just about everything, but it was in his time that Nigeria did well in football. As you said, he liked the game. But for his politics that stopped the Super Eagles from defending their title at the '96 edition of the Nations Cup or from participating at the '98 edition, Nigeria would have probably (if not certainly) won these two editions.

Obasanjo didn't seem to care. In fact, he was hostile towards the Super Eagles.

Perhaps Goodluck Jonathan cares. If he does, there may yet be hope for Nigerian football.
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by Tayamoto: 10:32pm On Jul 05, 2010
When it comes to Nigerian football, I am a blind patriot. I am used to Super Eagles fallen my hand. I am a dreamland guy who still linger (live) in the 1988-94 era. The pinnacle was 1994 and descent commenced after 2000 Nations cup (early signs evident during 1998 World cup). It is not too much to believe, therefore, I believe it will happen. And we don't need an array of star for that to be: Siasia has proven this. We only need a well regulated and structured environment. I only pray Jonathan is not paying lip-service. When will the glory days return? Anon, mate. Anon.

Ps. no foreign coach. Give the job to Siasia and give me 4-6 years to implement a road map.
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by Redman44(m): 1:37pm On Jul 06, 2010
The glory days of Nigerian footie will return if the current attempt to restructure the NFF is sustained.We just need to have a good team that will run our football and we'll winning tournaments again. There is nothing like having good leaders. When the NFF has a visionary as its President, all other things will fall into place. Nigeria already has the players that can hold their own against any team in the world. We only need to unearth these players wherever they are and hand them the shirts they deserve. Nigeria needs a blueprint that has to be religiously followed. I'm talking about a ten year plan for our football. I believe better days lie ahead for Nigerian Football. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by jokingmary(m): 2:40pm On Jul 06, 2010
Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return?

Answer: yes it will
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by coschuks(m): 3:24pm On Jul 06, 2010
guy, this Ur write-up na wao!
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by omar22(m): 3:32pm On Jul 06, 2010
Whats glory days

Cheating the junior level tournaments

When our over 30's find it hard to beat a legit Under 21 team then the future looks bleek
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by geemee(m): 4:15pm On Jul 06, 2010
9Ce write up !!! cool kiss
i hope that the glorious days come quick. Meanwhile our Olympic track & field events require overhauling too.
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by chibaby5(f): 9:35pm On Jul 06, 2010
@topic

Wiv faith and serious prayin and fastin, da glory dayz myt just return  cheesy grin
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by davidif: 12:30am On Jul 07, 2010
[size=18pt]FOOTBALL FANS ARE NOT KNOWN FOR THERE SENSE OF REALISM. [/size]
Re: Will The Glory Days Of Nigerian Football Ever Return? by funmi2010: 5:53pm On Jul 09, 2010
As CNN suggest, we await another development!

(1) (Reply)

Stake / Lets Begin Our 3 To 4odds / Howard Webb To Referee Manchester United V Chelsea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.