Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Critical Business Analyst Skills - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Critical Business Analyst Skills (462 Views)

I'm In A Critical Situation, Please Advise A Confused Soul. / What Is The Prospect For A Business Analyst. / How To Become A Business Analyst-5 Sure Steps To Follow. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Critical Business Analyst Skills by CTransitioners: 3:28pm On Sep 17, 2018
I speak to new and prospective BAs very regularly and it amazes me how many people do not know which skills are critical to the success of a Business Analyst.

As with many professions, the BA profession has a specific set of skills that are key to our success. An understanding of these skills would be useful before deciding to become a BA.

Imagine trying to be an accountant and you can’t stand the sight of numbers and spreadsheets. You may be a good enough accountant, but I’m not sure you will progress much within the accounting career. Similarly, someone who is a BA but not great with people or with bringing together information for people at all levels within an organization. You may get by as a BA for a while, but I doubt you’ll progress much within the profession.

I think it is very important to carry out a self-assessment before deciding if Business Analysis is right for you, by taking stock of your skills and identifying the gaps so that you are able to plan your career more effectively.

According to the Business Analysis 3rd Edition, there are 3 broad sets of skills that a BA should endeavor to develop. Personal Qualities, Business Knowledge and Professional techniques.

Whilst professional techniques are relatively easy to learn, Business Knowledge and personal qualities are relatively more difficult to develop.

Personal qualities
Communication
Relationship building
Influencing
Team working
Political awareness
Attention to details
Problem-solving
Leadership
Self Belief
Professional development
Analytical skills and critical thinking

Business knowledge
Business finance
Business case development
Domain knowledge
Subject matter expertise
Principles of IT
Organization structures
Supplier management
Business architecture

Professional techniques
Project management
Strategy analysis
Stakeholder analysis and management
Investigation techniques
Requirement engineering
Business modeling
Data modeling
Gap analysis
Facilitation skills
Portfolio management
Benefits management
Agile thinking

Take a minute to review the list above and identify which one of the skills you are proficient in.

Developing these skills is a long-term project for the Career BA, It may sometimes take several years to develop a handful of personal qualities for the level of experience you have as a BA.

However, I always say to my students, there are 3 key skills you need to be confident in, as you start your business analysis career.

1. Stakeholder Management

2. Process Modelling

3. Requirements Engineering

Within these 3 skills, you will find enough to get you through your early days as a Business Analyst.

I will break down each of these skills in subsequent posts, don’t miss it!

Visit www.careertransitioners.com to learn more.
Re: Critical Business Analyst Skills by Ebi4life: 7:51pm On Sep 18, 2018
CTransitioners:
I speak to new and prospective BAs very regularly and it amazes me how many people do not know which skills are critical to the success of a Business Analyst.

As with many professions, the BA profession has a specific set of skills that are key to our success. An understanding of these skills would be useful before deciding to become a BA.

Imagine trying to be an accountant and you can’t stand the sight of numbers and spreadsheets. You may be a good enough accountant, but I’m not sure you will progress much within the accounting career. Similarly, someone who is a BA but not great with people or with bringing together information for people at all levels within an organization. You may get by as a BA for a while, but I doubt you’ll progress much within the profession.

I think it is very important to carry out a self-assessment before deciding if Business Analysis is right for you, by taking stock of your skills and identifying the gaps so that you are able to plan your career more effectively.

According to the Business Analysis 3rd Edition, there are 3 broad sets of skills that a BA should endeavor to develop. Personal Qualities, Business Knowledge and Professional techniques.

Whilst professional techniques are relatively easy to learn, Business Knowledge and personal qualities are relatively more difficult to develop.

Personal qualities
Communication
Relationship building
Influencing
Team working
Political awareness
Attention to details
Problem-solving
Leadership
Self Belief
Professional development
Analytical skills and critical thinking

Business knowledge
Business finance
Business case development
Domain knowledge
Subject matter expertise
Principles of IT
Organization structures
Supplier management
Business architecture

Professional techniques
Project management
Strategy analysis
Stakeholder analysis and management
Investigation techniques
Requirement engineering
Business modeling
Data modeling
Gap analysis
Facilitation skills
Portfolio management
Benefits management
Agile thinking

Take a minute to review the list above and identify which one of the skills you are proficient in.

Developing these skills is a long-term project for the Career BA, It may sometimes take several years to develop a handful of personal qualities for the level of experience you have as a BA.

However, I always say to my students, there are 3 key skills you need to be confident in, as you start your business analysis career.

1. Stakeholder Management

2. Process Modelling

3. Requirements Engineering

Within these 3 skills, you will find enough to get you through your early days as a Business Analyst.

I will break down each of these skills in subsequent posts, don’t miss it!

Visit www.careertransitioners.com to learn more.
I checked your website for the cost of the BA training and I saw 200, 000 naira. I want to be sure.
Re: Critical Business Analyst Skills by CTransitioners: 1:18pm On Oct 30, 2018
Ebi4life:
I checked your website for the cost of the BA training and I saw 200, 000 naira. I want to be sure.
Sorry for the late response, We are currently working on so many things to serve you better.
Yes, the price is N200,000, but we are currently running it now for a discounted price of N90,000.
Note that, Our BA program comprises of 4 programs in it. FCBA, Scrum Master Certified, Critical BA tools, and Career Coaching.
Value for your money.
Contact us for more info.

(1) (Reply)

10 Proven Ways To Make Money Online In Nigeria / Find Unpublished Job Vacancies Alert Here / Coca-cola Naija 2019 Coke Summership Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.