Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,441 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:37 AM

PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal (19631 Views)

What We’ll Do If Wike’s ‘trouble’ Continues In Rivers – PDP Leaders / 2023: What We’ll Do If Thugs Snatch BVAS – INEC / We’ll Do Better Than Men – Female Gubernatorial Candidates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by agwom(m): 5:36am On Sep 19, 2018
A Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential aspirant and Sokoto State Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal yesterday confirmed that the party is consulting on who to present as its flag bearer for the 2019 presidential election.

The PDP Board of Trustees had set up a panel to interface with the party’s presidential aspirants over the possibility of reaching a consensus or trimming the number to a ‘manageable few’.

Daily Trust reports that the PDP aspirants who had obtained forms for the presidential primary include former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Senate President Bukola Saraki, Senators Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, David Mark, and Jonah Jang.

Others are former governors Ahmed Makarfi, Attahiru Bafarawa, Sule Lamido, Governors Ibrahim Dankwambo, Tambuwal, Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed and Kabiru Tanimu Turaki (SAN).

Tambuwal, who spoke yesterday in Birnin Kebbi after a meeting with stakeholders of the party, “Our party is still consulting the stakeholders on who to present to contest for the presidential position.”

“I deem it appropriate to start the visit with Kebbi State being my home as Sokoto and Zamfara. If the consultation fails, we will do the primary [scheduled for between Oct. 5 and Oct. 6 in Port Harcourt] and I will accept the outcome and support whoever emerges as our candidate,” Tambuwal said.

“I had left PDP for APC in view of the situation we found ourselves under PDP in the last government and joined APC for our conviction and presumption that the party would do the expected,’’ he added.

He promised to address the security challenges in Zamfara, Birnin Gwari in Kaduna, Benue, Taraba as well as Kebbi if elected the president. Earlier, the Deputy State Chairman of the party, Alhaji Musa Argungu, assured Tambuwal that party members would support his aspiration.

The PDP BoT is working to come up with a consensus to avert the looming confusion and possible crisis that may arise from a crowded exercise.

Chairman of the Board, Sen. Walid Jibrin in a statement on Sept. 10 said the BoT had constituted a committee to discuss with all the aspirants with a view to reaching a consensus.

“A committee has been set up to discuss with all presidential aspirants to come up with one of them as our candidate. There are now 12 contestants.

“The party has been warned to manage the situation of new defectors to the party and also consider the role played by old members.

“As provided in the party’s constitution, the board is empowered to regulate its proceedings and draw code of conduct for its members,” he said.

However, details about the composition of the committee set up by the BoT, including the time frame given to them remained secret amidst speculations the target is to trim the presidential aspirants to three.

Sources said the BoT and the PDP leadership, using certain variables, was trying to convince at least nine of the aspirants to shelve their ambition so as to manage the primary election with ease.

Findings by our correspondents also revealed that while some of the 12 aspirants are divided over consensus, with some kicking against the BoT’s move, describing it as an attempt to injure their ambition.

What the aspirants say

When contacted on the issue, Makarfi, a former Chairman of National Caretaker Committee of the PDP, said in a text message, “I was at the BoT meeting and that was not my recollection of the discussion.

“I believe what I heard was a Committee to interface with aspirants with a view to either prune down number based on free will of the aspirants or minimum promote togetherness in case all aspirants prefer to go through the convention.

“In any case, there are many other groups interfacing with the aspirants in similar directions but nobody is going to be forced to step down for anybody,” he said.

“It is up to aspirants and as far as I know the party is not forcing or even thinking of forcing anybody to step down,” he said.

He said if he eventually got the ticket, he would carry all other aspirants along.

For his part, the Founder of Baze University, Sen. Datti Baba-Ahmed, said, “I must not speak for BoT but BoT’s general disposition to issues is broadly speaking conciliatory and protective of the party’s Soul.

As an aspirant, all I can say is that I’m still contesting and I welcome any other aspirants for any consideration to step down for me. Chances of me doing so are, however, hardly possible as the only true representative of the new generation desired the world over, and due to other unique advantages.”

Similarly, Director of Media and Publicity, Atiku Presidential Campaign Organisation, Segun Showunmi told, the Daily Trust that Atiku is not ready to step down for another aspirant.

The spokesman said the feeling of Atiku is that he should be the one to emerge as consensus candidate considering his track records of experience and political sagacity, if the idea of consensus must be implemented.

“In trying to do consensus, party leaders must be free, fair and transparent. They must also look at the chances of who they are presenting and the person’s relationship with stakeholders across the six geopolitical zones.

And in a telephone interview, Lamido told the Daily Trust he will not step down for Atiku and if anything, it is Atiku who should support him.

“While it is true he is older than me age wise, I am his senior politically because I was in the House of Representatives in 1979 when he was an employee of Nigerian Customs Services. And if age is the criterion for standing election, then he should drop out for Buhari,” he said.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/pdp-primary-what-well-do-if-consultations-fail-tambuwal.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by xbernardx(m): 5:54am On Sep 19, 2018
This guy's political career is dead, he can not win the PDP presidential primaries unless it holds in Rivers so Wike can do the needful

I am sure he bought a backup form for sokoto, let's watch and see if he losses on both fronts

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by escodotman: 5:55am On Sep 19, 2018
Everyone of them who's not willing to step down should be allowed to test their popularity. Nigeria must rescued from the brink and failure of the APC government.

5 Likes

Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:09am On Sep 19, 2018
shocked
Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by ybalogs(m): 6:30am On Sep 19, 2018
Consultation wey don fail abi which one again? Ayam not understanding faa

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by ybalogs(m): 6:33am On Sep 19, 2018
Nobody is even considering Tambuwal as an option. If the numbers were to be trimmed then it's Saraki, Atiku and Kwankwaso. Sadly these three just defected from APC. That's simply saying PDP do not have any plans except those foisted at them. How I wish PDP will just present Makarfi to make a statement.

17 Likes

Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by ybalogs(m): 6:34am On Sep 19, 2018
escodotman:
Everyone of them who's not willing to step down should be allowed to test their popularity. Nigeria must rescued from the brink and failure of the APC government.
And you actually think these sets of politicians will fair any better? I seriously doubt that.

2 Likes

Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by ybalogs(m): 6:37am On Sep 19, 2018
xbernardx:
This guy's political career is dead, here can not win the PDP presidential primaries unless it holds in Rivers so Wike can do the needful

I am sure he bought a backup form for sokoto, let's watch and see if he losses on both fronts
Even with Wike, Tambuwal can't win the presidential ticket. His Governorship ambition is also dead as anybody fielded by APC in sokoto will eventually win him. If he's smart enough, he should just choose to support who ever wins the presidential and Governorship tickets rather than waste time and money by being in the ballot paper.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by xbernardx(m): 6:43am On Sep 19, 2018
ybalogs:
Even with Wike, Tambuwal can't win the presidential ticket. His Governorship ambition is also dead as anybody fielded by APC in sokoto will eventually win him. If he's smart enough, he should just choose to support who ever wins the presidential and Governorship tickets rather than waste time and money by being in the ballot paper.
Good advice but will selfishness allow him? He will surely loose in both fronts

8 Likes

Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by ybalogs(m): 6:45am On Sep 19, 2018
xbernardx:

Good advice but will selfishness allow him? He will surely loose in both fronts
100%
Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by Doerstech(m): 6:59am On Sep 19, 2018
Whatever be the case ....with

Atiku - Saraki - Kwakwinso the job will be done.

1 Like

Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by Gabrielblinks(m): 8:54am On Sep 19, 2018
Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by id4sho(m): 8:54am On Sep 19, 2018
I don't think Nigerians are going to have a stable political party like the PDP of 1999-2015. In my opinion, it's gonna take a long time even though we the electorate have the final say not some rag tag Generals.
Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by Franzinni: 8:55am On Sep 19, 2018
angry
Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 19, 2018
Ok
Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by oshe11: 8:57am On Sep 19, 2018
Tambuwal, Kwankwaso and their ilks shud go and sit down....

The primaries shud be btw Atiku n Saraki

1 Like

Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by Rexnegro(m): 8:58am On Sep 19, 2018
that's Una business

1 Like

Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by excomarow(m): 8:58am On Sep 19, 2018
grin

Wike don't put this one for one chance

Tambuwal is a dead man walking grin
Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by AutoSpaNg: 8:59am On Sep 19, 2018
logyujt
Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by topyhanky(m): 8:59am On Sep 19, 2018
All of them are thief
Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by Jossyroyal1: 9:00am On Sep 19, 2018
Good
Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by fineboynl(m): 9:01am On Sep 19, 2018
Re: PDP Primary: What We’ll Do If Consultations Fail – Tambuwal by Donald7610: 9:04am On Sep 19, 2018
xbernardx:
This guy's political career is dead, here can not win the PDP presidential primaries unless it holds in Rivers so Wike can do the needful

He's the biggest Threat to PMB

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Sacks Elisha Abbo From Contesting As APC’s Senatorial Candidate / Akapabio Boasts, Says He’ll Influence Tribunal Judgement At Appeal Court / Sanwo-olu To Yoruba People: Consider Tinubu’s Aspiration Your Priority

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.