Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,177 members, 7,860,232 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:06 AM

What Is Your Experience Of Cervical Cancer? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Is Your Experience Of Cervical Cancer? (652 Views)

10 Warning Signs Of Cervical Cancer You Should Not Ignore / Cervical Cancer / The Pap Smear (Test For Cervical Cancer)! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Experience Of Cervical Cancer? by hopeINhell(f): 9:38pm On Jul 05, 2010
I am in the process of writing a piece on Cervical Cancer. It has been very topical in the UK, as it is one of the leading cancer in female after Breast / Lungs. Thanks to the national screening programme and HPV vaccinations, the incidence and indeed mortality is being beaten, although we still hear in the press sad cases of young women dying as a result.

I would like to know the effects in Nigeria, as I can imagine it is not uncommon. What is the screening programme like in Nigeria? (Smears / VIA). And are vaccines readily available?

As there is a sexual relationship to this diagnosis, what are people attitudes to seeking screening and vaccinations? How is the health education programme in relation to this, are campaigns being carried out in junior secondary school and likewise?

Once diagnosed, what treatment options being offered? I understand this will depend on ur pocket size, but are gold standard treatments available say if you could pay?

All comments are welcomed, either if you are working directly with patients or know someone who was diagnosed or have any experience related to the topic.
Thanks
Re: What Is Your Experience Of Cervical Cancer? by labella12: 7:04pm On Jul 06, 2010
i will be responding as a medical professional treating patients with cancer and cervical cancer is still fairly common here especially in elderly women and has become commoner in younger women now especially women living with HIV/AIDS. some informed women living in the cities now present themselves for pap smears but this cannot be said about women living in the villages where they are combating poverty and have not heard about the disease.treatment is available using external beam radiotherapy and brachytherapy and chemotherapy
as for vaccines they are not readily available i.e not every one can get them.
i hope this was helpful

(1) (Reply)

Doctor's In The House, Heeeeelp! / Bitterkola: Any Health Benefits? / Repair Your Medical Equipments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.