Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,070 members, 7,821,675 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says (44185 Views)

Celebrating One Year Of Abstinence From Sugary Drinks / New COVID-19 Variants Not Cause For Concern – Chikwe Ihekweazu, NCDC DG / Eating Too Much Fruits Can Cause Diabetes - Consultant Endocrinologist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by crownson(m): 5:02pm On Sep 22, 2018
Juliet Ibrahim Flaunts Enchanting Curves

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by CAPSLOCKED: 5:04pm On Sep 22, 2018
okwabayi:
He is Nigerian? His words mean nothing.
Plenty of these doctors copied their way through exams. Their opinions are no different from farts in the wind.
He's right though, people erroneously believe sugar = diabetes

WITH TWISTED MENTALITY LIKE YOURS AND HATRED TOWARDS THE PROGRESS OF YOUR OWN KIND, I BET THE HIGHEST YOU CAN ACHIEVE IN YOUR LIFE IS THE "LIKES" YOU'LL GET FROM MAKING DEROGATORY COMMENTS ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE THIS.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 22, 2018
Adefemiaderoju1:

Please I will like to know that
scent leaf water. Just squeeze out the water and drink every morning

1 Like

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by bukatyne(f): 5:09pm On Sep 22, 2018
ACE1010:

I don't understand all these!! So what's the real cause of diabetes?? Tell us dokita!!!

Inability for your body to
1. Produce enough insulin to convert sugar to energy

2. Recognise the insulin produced.

Besides, 'sugar' is not necessarily white sugar or fizzy drinks.

Sugar is gotten in different forms.... Glucose, fructose, sucrose etc. which is found in carbohydrates and fruits.

There is rise in diabetes in Nigeria because our food is loaded with carbohydrates and we are not as mobile or active as our ancestors. That's also why people who do very physical jobs e.g. bricklayers do not have diabetes even if they eat bread and super water.

Our so called staple protein (beans) is very high in carbohydrates and my Naija people will still eat it with rice, garri or bread.

3 Likes

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by okwabayi(m): 5:12pm On Sep 22, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

WITH TWISTED MENTALITY LIKE YOURS AND HATRED TOWARDS THE PROGRESS OF YOUR OWN KIND, I BET THE HIGHEST YOU CAN ACHIEVE IN YOUR LIFE IS THE "LIKES" YOU'LL GET FROM MAKING DEROGATORY COMMENTS ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE THIS.
HEY.
I CAN TYPE IN ALL CAPS TOO AND NOT MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TO THE THREAD.
Wait, I just did so? It was easier than I thought.

1 Like

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by 0monnak0da: 5:17pm On Sep 22, 2018
Excess sugar consumption can lead to becoming overweight and thenn type 2 diabetes
There are also well documented cases of type 2 diabetes being reversed intto total remission with exercise and weght loss

Therefore it is silly to say if your pancreas is "functional" you can consume sugar ad libitum to excess.
By the way insulin is not the only hormone involved in sugar metabolism or diabetes. Infact diabetes is not just "sustained hyperglycaemia" . It is a lot more complex that than in type 2 diabetes.

Also insulin resistance has little to do with the "functionality" of the pancreas and can develop when the body is overwhelmed with sugars especially fructose which is so widespread these day.

There is a complex relationshp between diet, lifestyle especially exercise, visceral fat cell metabolism( specifically fatty cells covering organd deep in the abdomen and diabetes

In summary the young man is wrong

JediJedi is not dabetes

Excess sugar intake can lead to diabetes

1 Like

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by tomdon(m): 5:18pm On Sep 22, 2018
Impostor!!!
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 22, 2018
okwabayi:
Plenty of these doctors copied their way through exams. Their opinions are no different from farts in the wind.
He's right though, people erroneously believe sugar = diabetes but it's not so simple. People non-predisposed to the ailment can take sugary drinks from now till tomorrow or eat all the carbs available and their body will use it all up for energy.
The reason West Africans are prone to the disease is our carb-heavy diet. Carbs do a lot more damage in form of glucose creation and storage than three cans of Coca Cola a day.

Tell me why your words should mean something too? Except you're from Togo
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by flairlady(f): 5:21pm On Sep 22, 2018
When Nigerians say sugar is bad for health and cause diabetes,what do they mean?Because rice,beans,plantain,yam,oats,potatoes,maize,cassava,wheat and wheat products are composed mainly of sugars. The only way to avoid sugar is to eat meat,eggs and fish.Sugar does not cause diabetes,else all Nigerians would be diabetics.The average Nigerian diet is about 80% carbohydrates.

2 Likes

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by Mcreloaded(m): 5:24pm On Sep 22, 2018
Dshocker:
When you have high blood sugar and the pancreas isn't able to produce enough insulin to suppress the excess sugar in the body,it leads to Diabetes

You mean Absorb the excess sugar.
Ebo is logho.
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by mayze: 5:28pm On Sep 22, 2018
okwabayi:

I trird[sic] to make sense out of your first 2 statements..unfortunately,no sense. It was only an emotion-laden knee jerk response.
Of course I will visit Nigerian doctors. It does not take rocket science to cure malaria, typhoid and migraines.
See this olodo..the first mistake was a typo..and the second is correct,go and study your brighter grammar again..first two statements and not statement. e.g first two mistakes,first two senses..lool.
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 22, 2018
planetx:
Sugary drinks causes diabetes but indirectly by making you gain weight.

Then weight gain(fat) is the cause not sugar since there is no difference between fat gotten from sugar and fat gotten from other sources.
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by okwabayi(m): 5:31pm On Sep 22, 2018
mayze:

See this olodo..the first mistake was a typo..and the second is correct,go and study your brighter grammar again..first two statements and not statement. e.g first two mistakes,first two senses..lool.
Engaging you a second time will only reduce my worth on this thread.
I gave you a mention. Enjoy your day.
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by uchennamani(m): 5:32pm On Sep 22, 2018
EbukaHades10:
But e dey dry spaerm?
Sperm?
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by okwabayi(m): 5:33pm On Sep 22, 2018
Blainz:

Tell me why your words should mean something too? Except you're from Togo
This is another brain dead response.
I guess my contribution to this thread ended after my first comment.
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by owho1: 5:37pm On Sep 22, 2018
I think People don't understand the difference between "cause " and "risk factor ".
In science effect is preceded by a cause always.

For example
Will I be rigth to say unprotected sex causes AIDS? No

Unprotected sex doesn't cause AIDS ,many people have unprotected sex everyday and don't get AIDS,but unprotected sex put u at risk of getting various Sexually transmitted diseases eg HIV.Unprotected sex here is a risk factor for acquiring HIV infection.
So it is the HIV virus contacted via unprotected sex (for example) that leads to HIV Infection and then AIDS.

I think the doctor was saying, excess sugar doesn't cause diabetics (which is technically true), he is not saying excess sugar doesn't increase your risk of developing diabetes ,through various complex process.

Ingestion of sugar(all carbohydrates, and mind you even proteins and fats can be converted to "sugars" in your body) should be done in moderation and a balance by energy requirements.

Regular check up is the key.

I know some will still attack me.

9 Likes

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by purplekayc(m): 5:38pm On Sep 22, 2018
Am.hearing this for the very first time
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by Olaiya26: 5:39pm On Sep 22, 2018
Darkseid:
Mehn as I see "no more mekwe" na so cold catch me.
May we never experience diabetes so we can all continue to mekwe, Amen.

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by Gkemz: 5:40pm On Sep 22, 2018
This is the kind of doctor that killed my diabetic neighbor last year with the wrong injection.
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by Olaiya26: 5:40pm On Sep 22, 2018
okwabayi:
He's right though, people erroneously believe sugar = diabetes but it's not so simple. People non-predisposed to the ailment can take sugary drinks from now till tomorrow or eat all the carbs available and their body will use it all up for energy.
The reason West Africans are prone to the disease is our carb-heavy diet. Carbs do a lot more damage in form of glucose creation and storage than three cans of Coca Cola a day.

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by thunderbabs: 5:41pm On Sep 22, 2018
Another one grin
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by ZeeBaba17(m): 5:46pm On Sep 22, 2018
new medical theories keep popping up someday we will realized we never really know all that we think we know
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by lonelydora: 5:47pm On Sep 22, 2018
kmcutez:
I said the same on Nairaland a long time ago, but got attacked.

Same way someone attacked me here when i said i always drink coke. Ignorance is a disease shaa
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by pacespot(m): 5:50pm On Sep 22, 2018
Diabetes or not, taking too much sugar does not just augur well with my body chemistry, I don't always have an easy time in the toilet whenever I take sugar. I'm very sensitive to what I eat and how my body reacts to it, so sugar isn't just my thing, unless I'm looking to boost my energy level quickly.

2 Likes

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by crownson(m): 5:50pm On Sep 22, 2018
Good stuff
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by Neddyogu(m): 5:50pm On Sep 22, 2018
Excess sugars (carbohydrates) are converted to fats and stored underneath the skin (adipose tissue). In the presence of fat, insulin receptors on cell membranes aren't as efficient as they ought to be hence, uptake of insulin into cells is impaired, thereby leading to accumulation of glucose in the extracellular fluid or plasma leading to hyperglycemia or diabetes mellitus (after HBA1c value of>7%). So in other words, excessive sugar consumption may lead to obesity and indirectly to diabetes mellitus. I don't entirely agree with this doctor.

2 Likes

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by mayze: 5:59pm On Sep 22, 2018
okwabayi:

Engaging you a second time will only reduce my worth on this thread.
I gave you a mention. Enjoy your day.
Just admit you goofed and you have been properly schooled.You v learnt something new today Mr "I too know".I guess you also copied and pasted English when you were still in school.
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by Anstone: 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2018
flairlady:
When Nigerians say sugar is bad for health and cause diabetes,what do they mean?Because rice,beans,plantain,yam,oats,potatoes,maize,cassava,wheat and wheat products are composed mainly of sugars. The only way to avoid sugar is to eat meat,eggs and fish.Sugar does not cause diabetes,else all Nigerians would be diabetics.The average Nigerian diet is about 80% carbohydrates.

Process sugar causes diabetes, not the sugar gotten from those food you listed except if they've been genetically altered

1 Like

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by baghdad01(m): 6:27pm On Sep 22, 2018
First of all....his claims are false! Insulin does not digest glucose..rather helps to drive glucose into cells that need it for the generatiin of ATP. Its imperative to state here that NOT all cells/tissues in the human body require insulin...Only skeletal muscles and adipose tissue do. Other cells/tissues like brain,placenta,nerves etc do not require insulin.(let me not bore you guys with the molecular basis) Sustained high glucose can lead to diabetes over time due to the sustained stimulation of the beta cells in Islets of Langerhans. In a normal healthy young individual...your pancrease can cope. But then...how about other cells that just admit glucose molecules into them.? Does sustained blood glucose levels poison them on the long run? Do these insulin receptors(Glut4)get weak over time..? The answer is YES! In as much as there is a strong correlation between genetics and diseases...humans through there actions shorten the time for the expression of these diseases. Such actions include bad eating habits(here increased calorie intake),sedentary lifestyles,smoking,binge alcohol intake to say a few. I dare to say that his claims/opinions are spurious! Take charge of your health! Consume calories within your daily body requirements! Do not binge on Soda! Last last do not listen to halfbaked doctors!
I am a young medical doctor and have diabetes! Courtesy of my unhealthy soda drinking habit while in medical school!
#stoptheSODAaddiction

1 Like

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by Gramondhigh(m): 6:51pm On Sep 22, 2018
All this baby Doctors
Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by nymphomaniac(m): 6:51pm On Sep 22, 2018
baghdad01:
First of all....his claims are false! Insulin does not digest glucose..rather helps to drive glucose into cells that need it for the generatiin of ATP. Its imperative to state here that NOT all cells/tissues in the human body require insulin...Only skeletal muscles and adipose tissue do. Other cells/tissues like brain,placenta,nerves etc do not require insulin.(let me not bore you guys with the molecular basis) Sustained high glucose can lead to diabetes over time due to the sustained stimulation of the beta cells in Islets of Langerhans. In a normal healthy young individual...your pancrease can cope. But then...how about other cells that just admit glucose molecules into them.? Does sustained blood glucose levels poison them on the long run? Do these insulin receptors(Glut4)get weak over time..? The answer is YES! In as much as there is a strong correlation between genetics and diseases...humans through there actions shorten the time for the expression of these diseases. Such actions include bad eating habits(here increased calorie intake),sedentary lifestyles,smoking,binge alcohol intake to say a few. I dare to say that his claims/opinions are spurious! Take charge of your health! Consume calories within your daily body requirements! Do not binge on Soda! Last last do not listen to halfbaked doctors!
I am a young medical doctor and have diabetes! Courtesy of my unhealthy soda drinking habit while in medical school!
#stoptheSODAaddiction
so doctor dey sick? Na wa oh.

Just kidding though. You have said it all and you are a good doctor.

Last last, the way we understand a topic is how we can advice people. The way we also address matters like risk and luck influences our advice. I think doctors should always give advice that are least risky

2 Likes

Re: 'Taking Too Much Sugar Or Sugary Drinks Does Not Cause Diabetes' - Doctor Says by EdoghoghoV: 7:12pm On Sep 22, 2018

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

First Trials Of Coronavirus Vaccine Carried Out With Mum-of-two Among Patients / What Can I Do To Reduce The Sugar Content In My Blood? / 6 Tips That Will Make Your Pimples Clear Very Fast (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.