Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

"The Fear Of Losing Is Always There" - Anthony Joshua Ahead Of Povetkin Fight - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Fear Of Losing Is Always There" - Anthony Joshua Ahead Of Povetkin Fight (291 Views)

Anthony Joshua Knocks Out Alexander Povetkin To Retain World Titles / Joshua: I Am Under Pressure Ahead Of Wembley Showdown With Alexander Povetkin / Anthony Joshua Vs Alexander Povetkin: Heavyweight Boxing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"The Fear Of Losing Is Always There" - Anthony Joshua Ahead Of Povetkin Fight by Sportdab(m): 5:57am On Sep 22, 2018
Anthony Joshua has revealed his fear of ending up on the canvas, knowing the fight against Alexander Povetkin would be very tough.

The expectation is high for Joshua, who is keen to maintain his unbeaten record.

Most fans believe Joshua would just put Povetkin aside, but the visitor is definitely a huge threat.

And Joshua is already considering what defeat would mean for him and he insist one loss will not define him.

“That fear of losing is always there,” he said.

“If Sugar Ray Robinson lost, the best fighter of all time can lose.

“Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Duran, Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, and Riddick Bowe all lost. So who am I to go undefeated?

“But I am content with it because I know those nights of negativity don’t define me.

“I have lost before as an amateur and that didn’t deter me from getting where I am today.

“The reality is, why is the heavyweight division interesting? Because one punch can change the course of a fight, you are in there for 12 rounds.”

Joshua's last defeat in Boxing was the 2011 World Amateur Championship final against home favourite Magomedrasul Majidov in Azerbaijan.

“It was the first time I dropped a tear because it meant that much,” he said.

“It was one of those Klitschko-esque fights. The Azerbaijan army was there, the president was there.

“That’s what’s weird – as an amateur you lose, you go again and build yourself back up. But as a pro, you lose and people say, ‘Ah, he’s s***’. That’s why the fear of losing is a lot more now.

“I know that it could happen because I know how tough this sport is. There is only one winner and one loser.

“Look at a lot of the highlight reels of Mike Tyson or Muhammed Ali knocking guys out. You don’t know any of their stories, his opponents are remembered for being the guy Muhammed Ali knocked out, or Mike Tyson knocked out.

“But, what of that person’s whole career? It’s crazy in this sport. It’s focused solely on the winner, it is all about winning. The fear of losing is huge because you can lose everything. Scary sport.

“In boxing there’s no League One, League Two. You can’t say I am going to stay at British level and dominate and be king of that league. You are either the best or you’re not.”

Source:>>http://www.sportdab.com.ng/2018/09/the-fear-of-losing-is-always-there.html

cc: Lalasticlala,

(1) (Reply)

We No More “sleeping Giant”,- Says Liverpool Managing Director / UEFA Confirms That VAR Will Be Used In UCL From Next Season / Cristiano Ronaldo Returns As Juve Target European Glory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.