Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,022 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President (4819 Views)

How Obama Influenced The Sacking Of Service Chiefs – Vanguard / APC Makes U-turn, Accepts Saraki As Senate President / How First Lady ‘influenced Rivers Governorship Poll For Wike’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by yourangel: 2:34pm On Jul 07, 2010
Kx:

What about all the posts on bad road, power and poverty on his page, why has nt he addresed those issues?
To think that he even made bold to say he uses nigerian time to browse the internet sef and Facebook at that!
When your people are dieing of hunger,unemployment, bad roads, lack of power etc GEJ is busy  browsing FB.

lol,

Before now our politicians were known for pepper souping and small stouting

I think the president has now made it pepper souping, small stouting and facebooking
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by frcxs(m): 2:44pm On Jul 07, 2010
I think it is wise of the president to use a medium such as the internet to facilitate communication with the masses. if truly it was reactions from Nigerians on facebook that influenced the U-turn, then i think the president is on point.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Vindy: 2:46pm On Jul 07, 2010
Make una dey cos ,m una mama and papa no beta reach m
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by calyx: 2:51pm On Jul 07, 2010
This Facebook thing is surely getting into this man's head oooo. . .people like us have been there since na
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by deor03(m): 3:01pm On Jul 07, 2010
My Question is, what does a Nigerian want?

If the President does not listen to people : They will go about say, "we have leaders who don't listen to us"

If the President chooses a medium to interact with people: They say " he does NOT have a mind of his own"

What is wrong with a Leader listening to his/her followers ?
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Ben13: 3:04pm On Jul 07, 2010
The whole world is reading this. lol
We keep disgracing this country. is this coming from a president? shocked
He listened to the voice of the people, o yes; but shouldn't have mentioned facebook.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by abyte: 3:05pm On Jul 07, 2010
OMG, I would have instinctively thought the average Nigerian will be elated to hear about this. If for nothing, because the regular channels of letting your views know in a democracy seem inefficient in Nigeria. How many of you can talk to your constituents, house of rep, senators etc to get your views to the presidency? Now he puts himself out there and gets mocked?

Obama's biggest tool for reaching the whitehouse was the internet, using social media. I know how much I learn about Nigeria from coming here and other websites. You can't deny it has been informative to you too.
So why wouldn't we all be glad he is using it too, so that he can be more connected/informed? Give him a break!

You don't have to like the man, his party or the direction he is taking the country but don't just ridicule without due cause.

Ideally you should let your votes speak for you, but this is Nigeria so until that time, the next best thing seems to be facebook smiley
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by tkb417(m): 3:05pm On Jul 07, 2010
he berra sign up with NL
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Ben13: 3:09pm On Jul 07, 2010
^^and let him be online always.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by JUO(m): 3:21pm On Jul 07, 2010
what will human being do to pls u?
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by cdz: 3:30pm On Jul 07, 2010
I think we're missing the point. True: the President has the right to facebook. True: he has the right to change his mind. But: to change your mind, you need to have a mind in the first place. Why did he ban the team in the first instance? Was it for opinions on facebook? If yes, he's right to rescind the same decision for opinions on facebook. But if no, have the reasons that influenced his initial reaction changed? If not, why the U-turn? Fear of FIFA? What the heck is FIFA?

Believe me people, you don't want a President without a mind of his own.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 07, 2010
Abegg, y is he taking so much action on NFF,when there re more bothering issues,
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 07, 2010
embarassing is all i can say

i hope johnny is not using fb to recruit chikitos for the weekend cheesy cheesy
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 07, 2010
Ben-10:

The whole world is reading this. lol
We keep disgracing this country. is this coming from a president? shocked
He listened to the voice of the people, o yes; but shouldn't have mentioned facebook.

thank you
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by SwtzMinx(f): 3:54pm On Jul 07, 2010
^mayB faceb0ok is THE only way he cn listen to the v0ice of the people, afterall this is naija. . .
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by chelseabmw(m): 3:55pm On Jul 07, 2010
Mr presidient lead us well
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by FRONTPAGE: 3:59pm On Jul 07, 2010
@ Post,

It was a wise decision our presido took. It might not even be due to facebook posts but I believe he saw an opportunity to tell the world that he actually read all those Facebook posts.

How is any of that bad?

Onye_ngbu, you are the only one that undestands the pshychology behinds this who thing. U seem to be very intelligent. The fact is, the president saw an opportunity to tell nigerians and d whole world that he he is on Facebook and that he reads all the posts to him on facebook. He may not actually have reversed the ban as a result of facebook.

I do not see anything wrong in this. He deserved to be appreciated not crucifixtion. PLEASE LET US IMBIBE THE CULTURE OF APPRECIATING OURSELVES.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by otukpo(f): 4:01pm On Jul 07, 2010
There is nothing wrong with GJ coming on facebook .
Freedom, he is as free as u using the facebook.
He reversed the ban cos the issues that caused the ban ban in the first place is being addressed.
Now, NFF knows he's serious on restructuring it, and the likes of Lulu that u all have been clamouring to be sacked is out.
He shook the NFF, and if he didn't take the step he took, Lulu will still be there or FIFA ban Nigeria for his interference.
U pple shld show gratitude for once. U clamour for something and u get it and the next is complain.
No body can satisfy the minds that u all critisizing GJ have.
Tis time i think GJ is commendable.

So if GJ doesnt visit FB to get comments from Nigerians, it automatically means he is very busy attending to Nigeria's problems? I laugh.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Reptyle(m): 4:07pm On Jul 07, 2010
tkb417:

he berra sign up with NL

If you were Jonathan and you do an analysis of the kind of comments and insults that have been heaped on you by forumites on nairaland, would you sign up? We keep complaining that government does not listen to us. Now the man has found a good way to connect with young people and its insults all the way. We, Nigerians are just an impossible bunch of people!!!
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by shilling(f): 4:25pm On Jul 07, 2010
Why all the debate??

It's great that he's on FB and listening to people. The other day a person told him that there was no NG Embassy in California and he didn't know about this and said he was getting the Ambassador to look into opening one.  A few days ago, this engineer said he has an idea that can generate 400OMWs of electricity on GEJ facebook page. Mr. President said he was going to contact him.

Goodluck Jonathan is really doing good as far as communicating with the people goes. His posts on FB are so motivating, I hope it all doesn't end like Obama - make the people expect a lot, barely deliver anything.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by jayflex: 4:35pm On Jul 07, 2010
Now thats some B.S! If he can reverse a policy because of hundreds of posts on facebook, he should do something quick about the thousands of facebook messages complaining about power supply and the 16 Billion naira independence party budget. Nonsense!!
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by dbigrod(m): 4:41pm On Jul 07, 2010
[size=15pt]so our president is facebook mad[/size]
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Bawss1(m): 5:06pm On Jul 07, 2010
shilling:

Why all the debate??
The other day a person told him that there was no NG Embassy in California and he didn't know about this and said he was getting the Ambassador to look into opening one.  A few days ago, this engineer said he has an idea that can generate 400OMWs of electricity on GEJ facebook page. Mr. President said he was going to contact him.

All that one na scope. Howelse do you expect a politician to act.

Mr President we need so so and so.
Don't worry I will give you so so and so
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by bodsibobo(m): 5:15pm On Jul 07, 2010
He ought not stop at FACEBOOK only, Jonathan should also come and register on NAIRALAND too, that way, he'll really be in tune with the REALITY in Nigeria, honestly!
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by bodsibobo(m): 5:20pm On Jul 07, 2010
If you were Jonathan and you do an analysis of the kind of comments and insults that have been heaped on you by forumites on nairaland, would you sign up? We keep complaining that government does not listen to us. Now the man has found a good way to connect with young people and its insults all the way. We, Nigerians are just an impossible bunch of people!!!

maybe that's why that mad dude on the hill in minna said it's not yet time for the youths to rule Naija. tongue grin
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Dawgpound: 5:40pm On Jul 07, 2010
I find his involvement over WC loss silly coz we have serious issues to deal with. If facebook is an effective for us to reach him, level our concerns and have him pay some attention then so be it. At least he is being a bit media savvy unlike others. Its good he has FB. I have added his page and plan on using it to voice my opinion abt him, nigeria and his performance.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by KnowAll(m): 5:56pm On Jul 07, 2010
[size=14pt]Mr President the novelty of FB book will wear off as it has done for some of us who cannot think of the last time we logon. What is important is next time Mr President don't make a hasty decision, such reckless and thoughtless decision can cause life. You are lucky to come out of this unscathed, next time u might not be this lucky.

Aguyi Ironsi I am sure can give u an insight of reckless and un-consultative decision.( Ironsoi's major folly was disbanding the federal structure and setting-up a unitary govt amongst other things, the rest they say is history) undecided[/size]
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Tuyis: 6:10pm On Jul 07, 2010
Why is this guy trying to sabotage himself by acting stupid?
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by mridea(m): 6:11pm On Jul 07, 2010
Habba! Wetin concern facebook and the reversal of his decision? It means he would have maintain his position if he was not on facebook.
Na God go save Nigeria oooo,
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by aikuda(m): 6:26pm On Jul 07, 2010
Its seems the guy was just saying the messages from FB was part of the reason he changed his mind. That does not mean there weren't other reasons. Like some smart people have said he was just looking for a way to make people know that he will look for a way to listen, especially to the youths. This is an internet age, any serious minded leader should be internet savvy. GJ is demonstrating that. I am off to go add him on FB account. Nigerians! Na wa for una o!

Why do we always like to take opposing stand on issues? I bet some of these people criticising the man actually secretly agree with him. Some people think it make them relevant and noticeable in a debate to oppose anything and everything at all times. Na sickness be dat o!
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by Tuyis: 6:28pm On Jul 07, 2010
Reptyle:

Nigerians are actually very tolerant, almost passive people. The type of leadership we have would elicit revolt in some other countries.
Re: Facebook Influenced My U-turn On National Teams’ Ban — President by naso2(m): 6:40pm On Jul 07, 2010
The comments here show how impossible we are as Nigerians. The reversal was a good decision.

We returned from the world cup woefully, the president takes a decision because the NFF was a house full of thieves hiding under the fifa article 13 on government interference. The president makes an announcement preparing for the worst(ban for 2 years), that announcement leads to some drastic changes in the NFF which is  less 3 of its biggest thieves (LULU,OGUNJOBI,UCHEGBULAM).

The remaining board members have agreed to work amicably with the interim team created by government, Fifa too is not making any noise about interference when we all know that the newly set up team can easily be interpreted as interference. Why is Fifa this careful? because Sepp blatter and his team know that government can go any length to clean up the NFF . This is a win-win for government. make the changes in the board without bleeding so much(fifa ban/suspension)

Secondly i expect any reasonble person to go check up the facebook page being spoken of here to ascertain the general tone of responses the president got after the initial announcement , to affirm how it could have affected the final decision.

What GEJ is saying is that he now has a means of feeling the pulse of the populace directly. What we now need to do is to test the effectiveness of this medium in tackling other challenges we have as a nation.

Abeg ITK PEOPLE TOO PLENTY FOR NL.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Yar’adua’s Daughter Inaugurated As Special Adviser ! / What Is Airtel Nigeria's Website? / Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.