Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank (4819 Views)

Ex-governor, Fashola Denies Fathering Twins With Government Worker / Fashola Denies Deportation Allegation At Meeting With Igbo Leaders / Fearful, Cowardly Fashola Denies Deporting People To Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by EkoIle1: 4:53am On Jan 16, 2013

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola

By Gboyega Akinsanmi

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, Tuesday denied reports that the state government obtained a $15 million credit facility from a United States (US) financial institution, Export-Import(Ex-IM) Bank.

Fashola denied the claims while inspecting some ongoing projects in Ikorodu area of the state.

The projects include the Mile 12-Ikorodu road expansion, Ipakodo Jetty, housing schemes in Agbowa and projects at the Lagos State Polytechnic (LASPOTEC), among others.

He said Ex-IM merely assisted the state government in purchasing some 32 fire fighting engines from an American company, noting that the bank did not grant the state government any direct credit facility.

He explained that the state government “did not apply for any loan and we did not take any loan. I think the interesting thing about the news report is that while it focused on the $15 million, it very loudly omitted to say what the purpose was for. No state governor can borrow money without the approval of his state executive council not even from a local bank.

“Now I also know as a sub-national government, we cannot take loan from overseas without sovereign approval. That is why we went to the National Assembly and Federal Executive Council when we wanted to raise money.

“What really happened was that we applied for a supply of 32 fire engines from a company in the US and anybody who is familiar with Ex-IM loans would know that it is a strategy by America to promote exports for its own companies to overseas countries.

“Now fire engines are not what you can walk into any company and purchase easily. The American company that would manufacture them needed some capital to put them together and export to us.

“So what Ex-IM Bank did was to provide the capital to the manufacturer guaranteed by a Nigerian bank, whom we will pay to, so we are only buying a product. We did not take any loan,” he said.

Fashola therefore explained all the state’s external and internal loans the state government had obtained, justifying that the loans were duly obtained to fund strategic development projects for the good of all Lagos residents.

Tags: News, Nigeria, Featured, Fashola, $15m, Export-Import Bank

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fashola-denies-obtaining-15m-from-export-import-bank/136511/
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by engrfcuksmtin(m): 5:46am On Jan 16, 2013
Ok
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by Maxymilliano(m): 8:43am On Jan 16, 2013
Ok...
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by Goodgoody1: 8:56am On Jan 16, 2013
Maxymilliano: Ok...
ok we don hear third to comment abi
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by disloman(m): 8:56am On Jan 16, 2013
grin
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by Delafruita(m): 8:57am On Jan 16, 2013
this are the kind of responses we need from our leaders.if an issue is getting controversial,they should clarify and put the issue to rest once and for all.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by brownlord: 8:58am On Jan 16, 2013
I won't be surprise if the journalist that carried the news is a pdp paid agent, they can do anytin to discredit govt that does not share their objective which is looting

1 Like

Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by brownlord: 8:59am On Jan 16, 2013
Delafruita: this are the kind of responses we need from our leaders.if an issue is getting controversial,they should clarify and put the issue to rest once and for all.

Would a pdp gov. be bold enough to respond swiftly knowing fully well they hv skeleton in their cupboard?

1 Like

Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by kingingkinging: 9:02am On Jan 16, 2013
This is why I love this man. His intelligence is too glaring to be ignored.

God bless gov Fash.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by yommyuk: 9:05am On Jan 16, 2013
Constructive response. KUDOS FASH wink
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by ujukala: 9:10am On Jan 16, 2013
It is a development. But, no government can do without loans.
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 16, 2013
Fashola is one heck of an intelligent governor. In fact, he should run for President in 2015.

His response to the issue makes A LOT of sense.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by ba7man(m): 9:17am On Jan 16, 2013
I watched this interview on TV and was impressed with his points. I wonder how GEJ would have answered those questions if he were in Fashola's shoes.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by JimmyBoy1: 9:18am On Jan 16, 2013
Quite an intelligent response.
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by omiobo: 9:19am On Jan 16, 2013
This is the essence of democracy.
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by GARRIx7(m): 9:20am On Jan 16, 2013
Nice and lucid response from Mr. Governor..

If it was GEJ, Abati would have rained abuses on Nigerian, the opposition parties etc without explaining what the transaction is all about.

Lagosians have a rare gem, one they'll only appreciate if they've had to cope with the likes of Thief Ibori and The imbecilic Uduaghan..

2 Likes

Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by heed101(m): 9:26am On Jan 16, 2013
ba7man: I watched this interview on TV and was impressed with his points. I wonder how GEJ would have answered those questions if he were in Fashola's shoes.
hE woulD say "I don't give a damn" grin

1 Like

Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by Nobody: 9:27am On Jan 16, 2013
heed101: hE woulD say "I don't give a damn" grin
lmao grin
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by GUNSLINGER: 9:32am On Jan 16, 2013
kingingkinging: This is why I love this man. His intelligence is too glaring to be ignored.

God bless gov Fash.

R u in anyway indirectly insulting GEJ..... grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by Nobody: 9:34am On Jan 16, 2013
GARRI (x7):
Nice and lucid response from Mr. Governor..

If it was GEJ, Abati would have rained abuses on Nigerian, the opposition parties etc without explaining what the transaction is all about.

Lagosians have a rare gem, one they'll only appreciate if they've had to cope with the likes of Thief Ibori and The imbecilic Uduaghan..

Chei, this guy don finish Delta State governors grin grin
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by GUNSLINGER: 9:35am On Jan 16, 2013
ba7man: I watched this interview on TV and was impressed with his points. I wonder how GEJ would have answered those questions if he were in Fashola's shoes.

Not to mention dat his stupid jack sparrow hat dat he always wear during interview. One big n pathetic joke. Aisha Sesay will get u again. grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by ikennaya(m): 9:35am On Jan 16, 2013
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by ikennaya(m): 9:37am On Jan 16, 2013
Nigerians. If it were to be another person u ppl will condemn him and say smthing like "useless ppl evn if u colectd u will alway deny it" Bt becus its Mr Fash u will nt condemn him.May God help u ppl with ur hypocricy
N/B I'm nt saying he did it o...i'm just angry with how u ppl hate others cus they r nt the 1 u wish to be in power

4 Likes

Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by ozodigboo(m): 9:41am On Jan 16, 2013
CFCfan: Fashola is one heck of an intelligent governor. In fact, he should run for President in 2015.

His response to the issue makes A LOT of sense.
Hmmm....President ? Na wa o ! Ok .......
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by seunpinky(m): 9:45am On Jan 16, 2013
Nice reponse by our governor... Buh wait a minute, his he trying 2 tell us dat he bought 32 fire fighting engines for 15million dollars?? shocked lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by romanlaw(m): 9:48am On Jan 16, 2013
Eko Ile:

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fashola-denies-obtaining-15m-from-export-import-bank/136511/

Na today....thats Nija for you, abi do u want him to accept before?....the fowl yansh will be blown open when he loose the immunity clause after 2015.
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by kutchs: 10:20am On Jan 16, 2013
Hypocrisy at its best. No wonder Sanusi called for the banning of cultural organisations like ACF, Ohaneze and Afenifere.

Funny country Nigeria.
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 16, 2013
kutchs: Hypocrisy at its best. No wonder Sanusi called for the banning of cultural organisations like ACF, Ohaneze and Afenifere.

Funny country Nigeria.

Erm.. The constitution guarantees freedom of association (except criminal association).

I believe Fashola's popularity is not only the amongst Yoruba's, but cuts across other ethnic groups.

1 Like

Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by ba7man(m): 10:53am On Jan 16, 2013
Pls!! Pls!!...Let's try nd show some respect for our President!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by Delafruita(m): 11:18am On Jan 16, 2013
seunpinky: Nice reponse by our governor... Buh wait a minute, his he trying 2 tell us dat he bought 32 fire fighting engines for 15million dollars?? shocked lipsrsealed
how much do you think one fire-fighting truck goes for?took the liberty of helping you out

$500,000 to $1,000,000!!!
It would depend on weather you want a new or a used fire truck; a pumper or a ladder truck; and if you wanted red or yellow. These variables would greatly change the above stated price range.

If you are talking about new, non-wildland trucks, the answer is "it depends." Generally, the cost can start from around $120k for a low-end quick attack pumper on a commercial pick-up truck frame. If you want a 110' ladder truck, with a 10 person cab, all the bells and whistles, fully stocked, and with lots of chrome, a custom paint job and tons of graphics, you could shell out about $1.3 million or more. Generally they run in this (2010 price) range:

Quick Attack Pumper (4X4 Pick-up Frame) - $120k - $200k

Engine/Pumper Commercial Cab - $250k to $400k

Engine Pumper Custom Cab - $350k - $700k

Tender (Water Tanker) - $110k - $350k

Rescue (No Pump, Commercial and Custom Cab) - $120k - $650k

Ladder (With Pump, 50' - 110') - $500k - $1.3 million

You might be able to get one a bit cheaper, and you certainly can get them more expensive just add more chrome, gold-leaf graphics, and equipment, but this is the general range. The ranges vary considerably because of all the options available. There is almost no such thing as a "stock" fire truck.

you happy now?
Re: Fashola Denies Obtaining $15m From Export-import Bank by nollywood20: 11:29am On Jan 16, 2013
[size=18pt]American Bank Gives $15.7 Million Loan To Lagos State Government for 32 American Fire-Fighting Trucks

http://www.nigeriansreport.com/2013/01/american-bank-gives-157-million-loan-to.html[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Regret Voting Out Jonathan – Northern Leader Cries Out, Begs Buhari To Leave / Jewish Prophet From Israel Says Biafra WILL Be Independent In 2018 (video) / List Of Countries That Fought Against Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.