Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,609 members, 7,851,077 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:08 PM

Born Of The Spirit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Born Of The Spirit (598 Views)

Woman Delivered From The 'spirit Of Madness' At Lagos Church (Photos) / God Delivered My Sister From The Spirit Of Insanity: My Testimony / Do You Think It Was Important For Jesus To Be Born Of A Virgin? If Yes Then Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Born Of The Spirit by yommyuk: 5:02am On Jul 07, 2010
BORN OF THE SPIRIT

John 3:7-8
“So don’t be surprised when I say, ‘You must be born again.’ The wind blows wherever it wants. Just as you can hear the wind but can’t tell where it comes from or where it is going, so you can’t explain how people are born of the spirit.” 

The most decisive and important message of the entire gospel is to properly understand the new birth. There are many variations or interpretations of what constitutes the new birth. But, regardless of these variations and interpretations, Lord Jesus Christ says, "Ye must be born again."

Without the new birth there is no eternal salvation. Without the new birth we are condemned to hell eternally. That is how important it is to be born again. Therefore, it is vitally important that we properly and rightly understand the new birth.
There is probably no other thing Satan would rather do than deceive us on this one point; he would let us think we have been born again when in fact we have not been born again.

Nothing is more important than to understand that summons of the Lord Jesus Christ.

John 3:3 “I tell you the truth, unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God”.

The new birth is a marvellous thing which cannot be comprehended with the natural mind. It is a miracle of grace. Nicodemus was the ruler of the Jews, a Pharisee, the teacher of the Jews; the Jews were the tribe of Israel, the chosen of God, but Nicodemus did not understand the new birth.

Look at John 3:4, "Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?"

Nicodemus did not understand that Christ was speaking about being born spiritually. In John 3:5 ,the Lord Jesus Christ answered him saying, "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

Water is the symbol of the Word of God.

Word of God is the vehicle or the instrument whereby the Holy Spirit quickens us unto newness of life. We are quickened by the Holy Word of God.

So if we are blind to the authority in the Word of God, we may lay spiritually dead thinking we are alive. We must see the importance of understanding the authority of God’s Word. It is by the power of the Word that Jesus "cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth," John 11:43. And Lazarus who was dead in the grave four days came forth by the [b]power of the Holy Word.[/b]It is the Word of God that has the power to quicken us spiritually. The Holy Spirit uses the authority of the Word to bring us out of spiritual deadness into a state of spiritual life.

If we can see that a person is breathing and has a pulse, there is no need for a brain scan to prove there is life. But if these vital signs are missing, a brain scan can determine if there is still life. I want you to think about these vital signs as we go into this text; look for spiritual vital signs, senses, and tastes.
We have a wonderful sense of taste. What is sweet? Is it the charming things of this world or is it the blessed atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ?
When our spiritual senses are quickened, our taste buds begin to work. No longer can we swallow the things that are bitter. No longer do we delight in those things which are bitter. We now have a taste for the things which are precious, those things of more value.
The nature of this quickening is real, and it is revealed by our Saviour in the parable of the prodigal son. As we go through this parable, notice how the Lord Jesus Christ shows repentance.
Compare repentance with brain waves; repentance is shown by our attitudes and mental dispositions. It is a change of mind. Have you seen a change in your values? Have you noticed a difference in your tastes? Have your spiritual senses been quickened? See how beautifully our Saviour unfolds the meaning of the new birth in the parable of the prodigal son.
Notice Luke 15:32, "We had to celebrate this happy day. For you brother was dead and has come back to life! He was lost, but was found!” To understand this, look at Ephesians 2:1, "Once you were dead because of you disobedience and you many sins.”

Spiritual death is where a person can walk in trespasses and sins. When a person can live in and delight in sin, it is a sign of spiritual death.

Have you been born again by the Spirit? Are you now alive to Christ or still dead in your sins and trespasses?

This is the gospel truth.
Re: Born Of The Spirit by nuclearboy(m): 8:26am On Jul 07, 2010
Discuss further on the life of the "true" believer [1] lifestyle [2] motives [3] desires [4] how he/she is seen by unbelievers [5] trials/persecution [6] hopes and their limits.

I think you have something great here and further information will serve many people if you continue as well grounded as you started above

God's blessings
Re: Born Of The Spirit by yommyuk: 9:54am On Jul 11, 2010
Romans 8:5-6
Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the spirit. So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the spirit control your mind leads to life and peace

This will make God act on our behalf by bringing us into a cordial relationship with him and conferring on us the privileges that go with it. We know within us that we are on the right path. We have peace within us. We approach God boldly.

Now that you are born of the spirit, you must be filled up with the Holy Spirit. What does it mean to be filled with the Holy Spirit?

Ephesians 5:15-20
So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do. Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. And Give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

When filled with the Holy Spirit, a Christian will have a song in his/her heart, a thankful attitude and a regard towards others. It will affect the relationship between husband and wife, parent and child, employer and employee.

The Holy Spirit is both the supplier and the substance supplied; the Giver
and the Gift. The filling of the Holy Spirit is not our having more of the Holy Spirit,
but the Holy Spirit having more of us!

The verb "be filled" in Ephesians 5:18 is a present tense. "Keep being filled
with the Spirit." This is not a static, once-and-for-all experience, but the dynamic
continuity of the Spirit's control. It is possible to be being filled by the Holy Spirit at
one moment in time and not the next
The Holy Spirit in us must be a progressive possession and a pattern of permanence. The Holy Spirit is us must be productive.
Re: Born Of The Spirit by PastorAIO: 9:03pm On Jul 11, 2010
Born of water is the Word of God? Na wa o! Could you explain what you mean by that please?

I always thought of being Born of Water as baptism, but if you have any backing for it meaning the bible then could you please give it to us?
Re: Born Of The Spirit by yommyuk: 5:57am On Jul 12, 2010
@PastorAIO

You will not be the first and surely not the last to ask this question.
That is why it is key to seek the truth and be set free.

Nicodemus could not take it in. "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" He would rather utter absurdities than admit that the human condition is miserable and hopeless. Pure spiritual life cannot be obtained by physical means. Jesus points out the source of the rebirth: "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit" (John 3:5, 6). Being spiritually dead because of our sinful pollution, we cannot give life to ourselves. Only God the Holy Spirit cleanses the heart and gives new life.

In order to understand the deep meaning of "Born of Water and Spirit", one needs to refer back to the scriptures

John 4:13-14
Jesus replied," Any one who drinks this water will soon become thristy again. But those who drink the water I give will never be thristy again. It becomes fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them enternal life

John 15:7
But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask anything you want, and it will be granted

Water is often used in Scripture to signify spiritual cleansing by the Word and the Spirit. So "water" could be referring to the inward work of the Holy Spirit by His Word, cleansing the soul, rather than the rite of baptism.

John's baptism did not cause regeneration. He baptized with water "unto repentance" in preparation for the coming Messiah

Matthew 3:11
I baptize with water those who repent of their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming who is greater than I am - so much greater that I'm not worthy even to be his slave and carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.

John the Baptist made a clear distinction between his baptism and the superior work that Jesus Christ will perform.

Even St Peter testified in Act 11:16
"Then I thought of the Lords words when he said, John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy spirit"

Ezekiel 36:25-27
Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. You filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols. And I will give you a new heart, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony stubborn heart and give you a tender, responsive heart. And I will put my Spirit in you so that you will follow my decrees and be careful to obey my regulations.

The 'Clean water' is applied by God, not by a pastor, shepherd, midwife or pastor's wife.

John 7:38
"Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, 'Rivers of living watet will flow from his heart."

Vs 39 even explains what Jesus meant by saying "LIVING WATER"
(when he said "living water," he was speaking of the Spirit, who would be given to everyone believing in him. But the Spirit had not yet being given, because Jesus had not yet entered into his glory.)

This explaination clearly shows that "Born of Water" is not referring to the "BAPTISM OF JOHN"

CONCLUSION

So therefore Brother, we can add that the Holy Spirit employes the Word of God, the Gospel message to implant new life into ones heart
1 Peter 1:22-24
You were cleansed from your sins when you obeyed the truth, so now you must show sincere love to each other as brothers and sister, Love each other deeply with all your heart. For you have been born again, but not to a life that will quickly end. Your new life will last forever because it comes from the enternal, living word of God. As the Scripture say, People are like grass; their beauty is like a flower in the field. The grass withers and the flower fades. But the word of the Lord remains forever." And that word is the Good News that was preached to you.

James 1:18
He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession.

God bless smiley

(1) (Reply)

Preaching The Gospel With Christian Inspirational Wristband / Pls Help / Miracles Are Still Real 3 (i Wanted To Commit Suicide - Spirits Urged Me)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.