Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,900 members, 7,828,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha (6732 Views)

Maryam Abacha Spotted At A Wedding (photos) / Maryam Abacha & Her Daughters In Aso Rock (Throwback Pic) / Abacha, Maryam Abacha, Al-mustapha And Buhari In 1995 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by mbulela: 6:16am On Jul 07, 2010
the tribalistic jingoists have taken over.
i have therefore, deleted the original post.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by bkbabe90(m): 10:37am On Jul 07, 2010
But then he turned around and killed Mr Ken Saro-Wiwa (with the acquiescence of Ojukwu, of course)!
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Crownvilla(m): 6:51pm On Jul 07, 2010
@bk/babe90,

Although he may not have publicly denounced the execution of Ken Saro Wiwa, I would be surprised if Ojukwu supported it and besides he wasn't part of the government at the time.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Katsumoto: 6:58pm On Jul 07, 2010
Crownvilla:

@bk/babe90,

Although he may not have publicly denounced the execution of Ken Saro Wiwa, I would be surprised if Ojukwu supported it and besides he wasn't part of the government at the time.

Ojukwu was at the execution as a government witness and he allegedly said, 'good morning' to Saro wiwa.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Dede1(m): 7:07pm On Jul 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

Ojukwu was at the execution as a government witness and he allegedly said, 'good morning' to Saro wiwa.

Please do not gravitate to this low. You are better than this conjecture, pal
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Katsumoto: 7:13pm On Jul 07, 2010
Dede1:

Please do not gravitate to this low. You are better than this conjecture, pal

Was Ojukwu not at the execution?
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by seanet02: 7:38pm On Jul 07, 2010
He will never win even in a banana republic.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Dede1(m): 7:53pm On Jul 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

I think Ojukwu had more important things to attend than the execution of Ken Zaro Wiwa. Since you were one of the attendees at Ken Zaro Wiwa execution gala, could you name another prominent Nigerian in attendance other than Ojukwu?
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Cohomology: 8:01pm On Jul 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

Katsumoto,

This is news to me, however, do you have any evidence, no matter how remote, that Ojukwu was at the execution? Even a reference to a specific Nigerian magazine that stated it with you posting any link is enough. I can use my resources to comb the archives, get the hard copy of the magazine or newspaper and post an image file of your reference.

Please supply some evidence. Thank you.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Katsumoto: 8:06pm On Jul 07, 2010
Dede1:

I think Ojukwu had more important things to attend than the execution of Ken Zaro Wiwa. Since you were one of the attendees at Ken Zaro Wiwa execution gala, could you name another prominent Nigerian in attendance other than Ojukwu?

Cohomology:

Katsumoto,

This is news to me, however, do you have any evidence, no matter how remote, that Ojukwu was at the execution? Even a reference to a specific Nigerian magazine that stated it with you posting any link is enough. I can use my resources to comb the archives, get the hard copy of the magazine or newspaper and post an image file of your reference.

Please supply some evidence. Thank you.

'In 1995, [b]Ojukwu signed government documents identifying himself as a witness to the death of writer Mr. Ken Saro Wiwa, [/b]whom Ojukwu had counted as an enemy since the collapse of Biafra's secessionist movement.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukwuemeka_Odumegwu_Ojukwu

If you are not happy with wiki as a source, I will be back later to post another source or you can google it.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

'In 1995, [b]Ojukwu signed government documents identifying himself as a witness to the death of writer Mr. Ken Saro Wiwa, [/b]whom Ojukwu had counted as an enemy since the collapse of Biafra's secessionist movement.'

If you are not happy with wiki as a source, I will be back later to post another source or you can google it.
i won't expect less from a desperate prodigal son that would do anything  to redeem his image besides Abacha may have offered him some interesting incentives which he couldnt ignore.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by naijaking1: 8:59pm On Jul 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

"Good morning Niger Delta" was said by Ojukwu to a group of people seeking normalization of the strained relationship between Ogoni/Ijaw and Igbos at the height of Abachas terror.
Ojukwu's signature as a witness to the execution doesn't mean he pulled up a chair and celebrated with wine and champagne as Saro Wiwa was being despatched. Despite what people who have vested interest in disunity of the former eastern Nigeria may say, nobody, not even people who suffered direct loss from Wiwa's actions celebrated his own execution.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Katsumoto: 9:08pm On Jul 07, 2010
naijaking1:

"Good morning Niger Delta" was said by Ojukwu to a group of people seeking normalization of the strained relationship between Ogoni/Ijaw and Igbos at the height of Abachas terror.
Ojukwu's signature as a witness to the execution doesn't mean he pulled up a chair and celebrated with wine and champagne as Saro Wiwa was being despatched. Despite what people who have vested interest in disunity of the former eastern Nigeria may say, nobody, not even people who suffered direct loss from Wiwa's actions celebrated his own execution.

He might have said it more than once. That he said it to one group does not preclude him from saying it to Saro Wiwa. At least you accept that Ojukwu was at the execution. With regards to whether he enjoyed it or not, see the article below.

When I cry for help my neighbors offer no assistance, come to think of it, my neighbors
enjoy the spoil of this cold sometime hot brutal war. [b]As in the murder of Saro Wiwa,
some obnoxious character like Emeka Odumegu Ojukwu went on international tour to
explain why Ken deserves to die. In accordance to Ojukwu, Ken deserves to die because
he (Ken) organized resistance against biafra during the war. [/b]Can you see the irony; who
deserves to die from the civil war than Ikemba himself? This nation calls me insignificant
and yet what they steal from me is so significant that it identifies her as wealthy. How
long will this ungodliness continue? Every time a child of mine protest the uncivilized
barbaric display of aggression by the power that be; with maximum intoxication sets up a
judicial murder camp to snatch life out of him. Sometimes hoping to deter protest, she
denies us the right to mourn and bury our martyrs. I can list the shameless acts of this
nation on end, but doing so will be like the story of Frederick Douglas by Douglas himself.
That in listening to the whole story of Douglas, every black man will be fired up in rage
and attack any white man they see to redress issues of racism. It is not the fear of such
or similar action that makes me not to continue numbering the ills, but lack of space and
boredom. So far, one thing is clear that no one of my neighbors give a hood what my
plights are. How clear can that message get when I have waited patiently for them to
come to my aid to no avail. I am not begging anybody to fight my fights; I only express a
reasonable expectation of a good neighbor. My only regret is that I waited for over fortysemi
years to know that good neighbor is a hoax, dne (does not exist).

http://nigerdeltaworldcongress.org/articles/ken_saro_wiwa_holid.pdf
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Cohomology: 9:12pm On Jul 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

Thank you, but the Wikipedia article does not reference any source. And I'm going to request for some citation (the standard "citation needed" for that piece).
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Cohomology: 9:20pm On Jul 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

He might have said it more than once. That he said it to one group does not preclude him from saying it to Saro Wiwa. At least you accept that Ojukwu was at the execution. With regards to whether he enjoyed it or not, see the article below.

When I cry for help my neighbors offer no assistance, come to think of it, my neighbors
enjoy the spoil of this cold sometime hot brutal war. [b]As in the murder of Saro Wiwa,
some obnoxious character like Emeka Odumegu Ojukwu went on international tour to
explain why Ken deserves to die. In accordance to Ojukwu, Ken deserves to die because
he (Ken) organized resistance against biafra during the war. [/b]Can you see the irony; who
deserves to die from the civil war than Ikemba himself? This nation calls me insignificant
and yet what they steal from me is so significant that it identifies her as wealthy. How
long will this ungodliness continue? Every time a child of mine protest the uncivilized
barbaric display of aggression by the power that be; with maximum intoxication sets up a
judicial murder camp to snatch life out of him. Sometimes hoping to deter protest, she
denies us the right to mourn and bury our martyrs. I can list the shameless acts of this
nation on end, but doing so will be like the story of Frederick Douglas by Douglas himself.
That in listening to the whole story of Douglas, every black man will be fired up in rage
and attack any white man they see to redress issues of racism. It is not the fear of such
or similar action that makes me not to continue numbering the ills, but lack of space and
boredom. So far, one thing is clear that no one of my neighbors give a hood what my
plights are. How clear can that message get when I have waited patiently for them to
come to my aid to no avail. I am not begging anybody to fight my fights; I only express a
reasonable expectation of a good neighbor. My only regret is that I waited for over fortysemi

I don't believe this. Any independent sources?
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by naijaking1: 9:21pm On Jul 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

To the extent that Wikipedia has become a reference source for some people, it important to know that it's an open source, and that means anybody can modify, edit, or even falsify any entry on anybody or topic.

I never agreed that Ojukwy was at Wiwa's execution, because I have no information to do that.
Even if Ojukwu had personal animus against Saro Wiwa during Abachas regime, which might have been possible, he certainly did as a person, not as the leader of easterners, or the Igbos.
It's sickening how some people are quick to remind easterners of the hatred between them at every unfortunate opportunity.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by RichyBlacK(m): 9:24pm On Jul 07, 2010
Cohomology:

Thank you, but the Wikipedia article does not reference any source. And I'm going to request for some citation (the standard "citation needed" for that piece).

Done.

Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Katsumoto: 9:27pm On Jul 07, 2010
naijaking1:

To the extent that Wikipedia has become a reference source for some people, it important to know that it's an open source, and that means anybody can modify, edit, or even falsify any entry on anybody or topic.

I never agreed that Ojukwy was at Wiwa's execution, because I have no information to do that.
Even if Ojukwu had personal animus against Saro Wiwa during Abachas regime, which might have been possible, he certainly did as a person, not as the leader of easterners, or the Igbos.
It's sickening how some people are quick to remind easterners of the hatred between them at every unfortunate opportunity.

I am sorry but is your angst directed at me or the writer of that article? That article was not from wikipedia; I am not quite sure why you mentioned wiki in this post.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Katsumoto: 9:30pm On Jul 07, 2010
Cohomology:

I don't believe this. Any independent sources?

You have the name of the writer in the article; you can take it up with the writer. What is it you don't believe?
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by naijaking1: 9:40pm On Jul 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

I am sorry but is your angst directed at me or the writer of that article? That article was not from wikipedia; I am not quite sure why you mentioned wiki in this post.

I mentioned Wiki, because it was your reference source, and I have to remind you that information from that source is not always correct. For example, look at the section pasted by Rickyblack above, and you will see that your own reference to Ojukwu's action in 1995 needed a citation source, it might have been an empty allegation, a conjecture, or even a misdirected animosity.

Your other source on Saro Wiwa was an address made by Ini Ekere to the Niger Deltan in 1998 in Atlanta. While I don't have time to respond to such naive article, it's easy to see Mr. Ekere's hatred for Igbos. Tell him that the Igbo states of Abia and Imo also produce oil, he never knew that, just like he never knew Ojukwu's position on Saro Wiwa's execution.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Cohomology: 9:47pm On Jul 07, 2010
Katsumoto:

You have the name of the writer in the article; you can take it up with the writer. What is it you don't believe?

"As in the murder of Saro Wiwa,
he (Ken) organized resistance against biafra during the war."

Why would the Ikemba go on international tour to explain why someone whose fate was outside his (Ojukwu's) hands deserved to die?

I was in Nigeria when Saro-Wiwa was hanged. He was killed on the same day Nigeria beat Uzbekistan 1-0 at the National Stadium Suru-lere, and I attended that match, live! I followed the news keenly then, and I do not recall any published news about the Ikemba traveling abroad, before or after Saro-Wiwa's execution, with the sole purpose of explaining to the international community why Saro-Wiwa deserved to be hanged.

That writer seemed vexed by other issues and may have interpreted a private travel abroad by the Ikemba as a campaign of death for Saro-Wiwa. Ridiculous at best!
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by redsun(m): 9:59pm On Jul 07, 2010
This is like a case of son of hitler contesting an election in germany,only in nigeria will such an abominable thing happen.

And here we are discussing the opinion of the wife of a monster.What difference will it make?
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by EzeUche(m): 9:59pm On Jul 07, 2010
Ken Saro Wiwa with his old radio show used to mock the Igbo after we were defeated.

Not to say that I wish death on anyone, but I am not sorry that he is gone. This man supported the very people who are exploiting his people now and gave him death

Just like that goat Adaka Boro died fighting against his brethren, so Ken Saro Wiwa suffered the same fate. Amadioha doesn't take kindly to the enemies of the Ndi Igbo.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by naijaking1: 10:02pm On Jul 07, 2010
^^^^^
grin grin grin grin
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by redsun(m): 10:09pm On Jul 07, 2010
Abacha's family is suppose to be a fugitive family in nigeria because they are still in possession of our stolen loots,part of it his son is using to come back and loot more.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by mbulela: 1:41am On Jul 08, 2010
naijaking1:

^^^^^
grin grin grin grin

this is beneath you.
i am seriously disappointed.
irrespective of the strength of your opinion, seeing you join this ethnic jingoism is a let down.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by naijaking1: 2:29am On Jul 08, 2010
mbulela:

this is beneath you.
i am seriously disappointed.
irrespective of the strength of your opinion, seeing you join this ethnic jingoism is a let down.

Keep following me around like a fly until I lay my hands on some shelltox cheesy
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by mbulela: 4:20am On Jul 08, 2010
naijaking1:

Keep following me around like a fly until I lay my hands on some shelltox cheesy

follow you?
The thread was opened by me before ethnic warriors stole it.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by bkbabe90(m): 9:56am On Jul 08, 2010
General Odumegwu Ojukwu has been faulted, notably by Ken Saro-Wiwa and Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, for rejecting peace overtures from the federal government. Both Saro-Wiwa and Azikiwe believe that Ojukwu stage-managed the Eastern Region Constituent Assembly to authorize him to declare secession. The decision to declare Biafra was a product not of deliberative reasoning in the face of odds but of cajolery, bribery, coercion and sophistry tinged with elements of repression of dissent.

The feuding generals had an opportunity to reverse the momentum to war when the Ghanaian Head of State, Gen Ankra, hosted a peace meeting in Aburi, Ghana. An accord was reached at Aburi whose exact terms became a matter of renewed aggression between the federal government and the Biafran government. Ojukwu’s account of the agreement differed from the federal government interpretation on the extent of power and responsibility of the federal executive council vis-à-vis the regions. Ojukwu absented himself from a meeting called to implement the accord. In his absence the meeting approved Decree No.8 enacted by the federal government to implement the agreement. Ojukwu did not accept the decree because it compromised his position by not granting the regions complete authority in dealing with certain issues that concern their sovereignty.10 Azikiwe faults Ojukwu’s rejection of the decree as in service of greed for power and an attempt to “continue a calculated gambit which has led to the civil war.”11

http://howgenocidesend.ssrc.org/Amadi/

"But I would also question the authoritarian way in which Ojukwu sought to wield a nation out of all the ethnic minorities in the region without deploying superior arguments and carrying their political leaders along. He marginalized experienced politicians and this was the reason it was easy for other regions to emerge successfully from Biafra during the war. We must not forget that whether it was a military coup or war, it was just politics by other means.

http://odili.net/news/source/2006/mar/12/802.html

Today Ojukwu lives a quiet life in Eastern Nigeria. In early December 2006 he was again chosen to be the APGA presidential candidate for the April 2007 election.[5] On January 14, 2008 he received his military pension from the Nigerian government, but on this occasion he complained that he was referred to as a lieutenant colonel and not as a general, his rank in the Biafran military.[6]

In 1995, Ojukwu signed government documents identifying himself as a witness to the death of writer Mr. Ken Saro Wiwa, whom Ojukwu had counted as an enemy since the collapse of Biafra's secessionist movement.

http://www.answers.com/topic/chukwuemeka-odumegwu-ojukwu

They also indicted the former Biafran Leader, Chief Odumegwu Emeka Ojukwu of abandoning them claiming that the former commander of the Biafran army had never visited them since they arrived the camp in 1970.

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/31924-ojukwu-abandoned-us-ex-biafran-soldiers.html
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by Acidosis(m): 1:59pm On Jul 08, 2010
She's Speculating
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by cold(m): 2:09pm On Jul 08, 2010
bk/babe90:

General Odumegwu Ojukwu has been faulted, notably by Ken Saro-Wiwa and Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, for rejecting peace overtures from the federal government. Both Saro-Wiwa and Azikiwe believe that Ojukwu stage-managed the Eastern Region Constituent Assembly to authorize him to declare secession. The decision to declare Biafra was a product not of deliberative reasoning in the face of odds but of cajolery, bribery, coercion and sophistry tinged with elements of repression of dissent.

The feuding generals had an opportunity to reverse the momentum to war when the Ghanaian Head of State, Gen Ankra, hosted a peace meeting in Aburi, Ghana. An accord was reached at Aburi whose exact terms became a matter of renewed aggression between the federal government and the Biafran government. Ojukwu’s account of the agreement differed from the federal government interpretation on the extent of power and responsibility of the federal executive council vis-à-vis the regions. Ojukwu absented himself from a meeting called to implement the accord. In his absence the meeting approved Decree No.8 enacted by the federal government to implement the agreement. Ojukwu did not accept the decree because it compromised his position by not granting the regions complete authority in dealing with certain issues that concern their sovereignty.10  Azikiwe faults Ojukwu’s rejection of the decree as in service of greed for power and an attempt to “continue a calculated gambit which has led to the civil war.”11

http://howgenocidesend.ssrc.org/Amadi/

"But I would also question the authoritarian way in which Ojukwu sought to wield a nation out of all the ethnic minorities in the region without deploying superior arguments and carrying their political leaders along. He marginalized experienced politicians and this was the reason it was easy for other regions to emerge successfully from Biafra during the war. We must not forget that whether it was a military coup or war, it was just politics by other means.

http://odili.net/news/source/2006/mar/12/802.html

Today Ojukwu lives a quiet life in Eastern Nigeria. In early December 2006 he was again chosen to be the APGA presidential candidate for the April 2007 election.[5] On January 14, 2008 he received his military pension from the Nigerian government, but on this occasion he complained that he was referred to as a lieutenant colonel and not as a general, his rank in the Biafran military.[6]

In 1995, Ojukwu signed government documents identifying himself as a witness to the death of writer Mr. Ken Saro Wiwa, whom Ojukwu had counted as an enemy since the collapse of Biafra's secessionist movement.

http://www.answers.com/topic/chukwuemeka-odumegwu-ojukwu

They also indicted the former Biafran Leader, Chief Odumegwu Emeka Ojukwu of abandoning them claiming that the former commander of the Biafran army had never visited them since they arrived the camp in 1970.

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/31924-ojukwu-abandoned-us-ex-biafran-soldiers.html

While you're here spewing bunkum,your house is total dis array.Why don't you go put in order first.Here's what some of your close pals have to say about you:-

That’s how niggers think, that since hundreds of years ago a handful of Whites owned slaves that we ALL owe them and it’s ok for them to kill any of us. White people need to wake the hell up and start pushing these shitskins off our lands.
And another

I just shake my head in disbelief that humans could think that way. Then I realize this is negros we are talking about.This “diversity” thing is over my head.
And of course another
Are you serious Max?
Blacks complain all the time, its all they do.
Their race card is based on their endless whining and complaining.
When their whining and complaining doesnt get them what they want they riot.
Good G-d almighty, are you blind and stupid?

And probably some more

to the guy below me, whites are the ones keeping this world from going to shit. if we left it to the blacks everything would look like Africa.

So fcking babestard90 go face up to your 'true friends',the enemy is within and not without.Fcking weakling tryna act tough,you'll get smacked.
Re: My Husband Saved Lekwot From Death, Says Maryam Abacha by bkbabe90(m): 2:16pm On Jul 08, 2010
cold:

While you're here spewing bunkum,your house is total dis array.Why don't you go put in order first.Here's what some of your close pals have to say about you:-

That’s how niggers think, that since hundreds of years ago a handful of Whites owned slaves that we ALL owe them and it’s ok for them to kill any of us. White people need to wake the hell up and start pushing these shitskins off our lands.
And another

I just shake my head in disbelief that humans could think that way. Then I realize this is negros we are talking about.This “diversity” thing is over my head.
And of course another
Are you serious Max?
Blacks complain all the time, its all they do.
Their race card is based on their endless whining and complaining.
When their whining and complaining doesnt get them what they want they riot.
Good G-d almighty, are you blind and silly?

And probably some more

to the guy below me, whites are the ones keeping this world from going to poo. if we left it to the blacks everything would look like Africa.

So fcking babestard90 go face up to your 'true friends',the enemy is within and not without.Fcking weakling tryna act tough,you'll get smacked.

Lol. Dont get wut u trying to put across here. Confusing! Sounds like u wrote about the Ibos to me! Well, maybe cus u Biafran thats why its hard for you to put ur message in proper perspective! Oh, they talking 'bout "Niggers"? Well, seeing as u black too I guess they talking about you too, so. . . . U want a cookie?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism / Sanwo-Olu Approves Free Healthcare For 50,000 Orphans, Elderly, Vulnerable / PDP Convention: 6000 Delegates To Decide New Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.