Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,737 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism (6723 Views)

Buhari Appoints Femi Adesina Special Adviser On Media And Publicity / Patience Jonathan Fires Her Spokesman, Appoints US-based Satirist / Jonathan Fires All Law School Directors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by PointB: 12:51pm On Sep 05, 2011
Jonathan Fires Adviser on Counterterrorism
05 Sep 2011

President Goodluck Jonathan has quietly fired his Coordinator on Counterterrorism, Ambassador Zakari Ibrahim, following the spate of bombings in the country.

In what an insider called “one of the first steps in a major overhaul of the security architecture”, the president has appointed the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 82 Division of Nigerian Army, Maj. Gen. Sarkin Yakin Bello, as his new adviser to counter the rising wave of bombings in the country.

In another counterterrorism measure, the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has launched an operation against illegal aliens in the country, leading to the deportation of nationals of six countries, including Somalia, for “security reasons”.

Maj. Gen. Bello was the Commander of the Joint Task Force (Operation Restore Hope) in the Niger Delta in the heyday of militancy.

Before then, Bello, who was promoted to the two-star rank in December 2008 by the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, was the Commander of Operation Flush Out III in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

In Kano, the state command of Immigration Service at the weekend deported illegal immigrants from Somalia, Chad, Mali, Sudan, Niger and Senegal.

It is strongly believed in security circle that many of the “suicide bombers” trained by Boko Haram are not Nigerians, and the country’s porous borders as well as the cultural affinity between cross-border towns may have blurred the true identities of the extremists.

A senior Immigration officer at the Kano Command told reporters over the weekend that the deportation was in the national interest and would continue for now.

He confirmed that “hundreds” of foreigners had been sent back to their countries as they had no valid papers to remain in the country.

“They are usually engaged in menial and undignifying jobs in the state, and as such could be ready tools in the hands of mischief makers,” he said.

He also revealed that the service had adopted a “quiet, tactical approach” in purging the country of illegal immigrants so as to deport as many as possible.

THISDAY learnt that all the state commands had been instructed not to make their mode of operation public so as not to jeopardise efforts aimed at ridding the country of illegal immigrants.

The deportees are to be handed over to their home governments, the official said.

Boko Haram, which has claimed responsibility for the recent spate of bombings including the attack on the United Nations House which claimed 23 lives, said in June that it had trained suicide bombers in Somalia, a country where extremist group al-Shabaab, linked to Al-Qaeda, is in control. Revelations in the last one week have also shown that many of the Boko Haram members had been trained in Algeria and Afghanistan.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-fires-adviser-on-counterterrorism/97824/
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by blacksta(m): 1:00pm On Sep 05, 2011
about 1000 deaths late shocked
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by PointB: 1:04pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^
How about better late, than never!
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by blacksta(m): 1:18pm On Sep 05, 2011
PointB:

^^^

According to your logic - 1000 deaths is an acceptable collateral damage. Maybe if you had family members included in the figure - then your tone might be different
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by PointB: 1:28pm On Sep 05, 2011
blacksta:

According to your logic - 1000 deaths is an acceptable collateral damage. Maybe if you had family members included in the figure - then your tone might be different

According to your logic, once your reach the 1000 deaths level. Fold your arms!
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by lagcity(m): 3:04pm On Sep 05, 2011
PointB:

nice one! grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by LoveKing(m): 3:24pm On Sep 05, 2011
the president should start with himself.
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by 9jawear(m): 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2011
A successful president inspires his subordinates to perform, the lackluster performance of his adviser is just a reflection of what the Stae of leadership in the country is
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by Kobojunkie: 3:34pm On Sep 05, 2011
PointB:

Not really  . .   remember his first post was . . .

blacksta:

about 1000 deaths late  shocked

. . . . meaning this should have been done before the death of the 1000.  Your interpretation above does not work at all!
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by PointB: 3:36pm On Sep 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Not really  . .   remember his first post was . . .

. . . . meaning this should have been done before the death of the 1000.  Your interpretation above does not work at all!

True, and remember my initial post!

PointB:

^^^
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by nagoma(m): 3:37pm On Sep 05, 2011
Nigerians only know Azazi as NSA, and he is still there. No guts, no change, no hope.
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by Kobojunkie: 3:39pm On Sep 05, 2011
PointB:

True, and remember my initial post!

I saw that but his explanation of what that potentially meant, especially in this case, is sort of apt. Too many lives have been lost due to obvious incompetence on the part of our security personnel, in this.

nagoma:

Nigerians only know Azazi as NSA, and he is still there. No guts, no change, no hope.

I am not shouting 'hooray!' either. This is only an adviser that got fired and not much else since they have no power to change much of what is going on.
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by sirjec(m): 3:49pm On Sep 05, 2011
My friends, there is always a starting point. It's a pity we are not proactive in this country otherwise we can see a lot of loopholes in our security people can explore yet we will never block it. How long has people been missing, Kidnapped, etc. Yet they pass through police checkpoints with N20 and police could not solve it up till now. Today Bombs are passing and we are shouting security security. We never had security in this country. We just have thieves in police uniforms. Unless we restructure our security systems and give tasks and targets to officers, hold them responsible for failing to deliver, sorry we are just starting.
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by PointB: 3:52pm On Sep 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I saw that but his explanation of what that potentially meant, especially in this case, is sort of apt. Too many lives have been lost due to obvious incompetence on the part of our security personnel, in this.

I am not shouting 'hooray!' either. This is only an adviser that got fired and not much else since they have no power to change much of what is going on.

I wont be quick to blame the lost of lives solely on incompetence on part of the FG. The security challenge posed by Boko Haram is quiet complex, that no silver bullet can fix it. The problem need to be clearly understood before being tackled. While the loss of live is very sad, condemnable, and even abominable, no one can really claim they are preventable.

That said, firing the Adviser on Counter terrorism in my opinion is symbolic; I doubt if it will stop the menace, Fight against terrorism is a battle for hearts and minds as much as it is physical.
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by Johnpaul2k2(m): 3:58pm On Sep 05, 2011
ok nah grin grin
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by KayDee4: 3:58pm On Sep 05, 2011
OK, so what's the next step ?

Who's next to go ?

Who's in charge of the Police ? ?  angry angry angry angry
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by Kobojunkie: 4:01pm On Sep 05, 2011
PointB:

I wont be quick to blame the lost of lives solely on incompetence on part of the FG.
I will!
PointB:

The security challenge posed by Boko Haram is quiet complex, that no silver bullet can fix it. The problem need to be clearly understood before being tackled. While the loss of live is very sad, condemnable, and even abominable, no one can really claim they are preventable.
Boko Haram was practically an unknown group this time last year. However, due to the security vacuum in the country, which still prevails to this day, the group has been allowed to develop to the menace it is today, and I dare to say it is too late to expect this problem will go away anytime soon. I even expect more terrorist groups to rise if the current situation continues.

PointB:

That said, firing the Adviser on Counter terrorism in my opinion is symbolic; I doubt if it will stop the menace, Fight against terrorism is a battle for hearts and minds as much as it is physical.

When it comes to Nigeria, I think symbolic gestures counts for zilch. I prefer full meaningful action.
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by PointB: 4:18pm On Sep 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I will!Boko Haram was practically an unknown group this time last year. However, due to the security vacuum in the country, which still prevails to this day, the group has been allowed to develop to the menace it is today, and I dare to say it is too late to expect this problem will go away anytime soon. I even expect more terrorist groups to rise if the current situation continues.

When it comes to Nigeria, I think symbolic gestures counts for zilch. I prefer full meaningful action.

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree.

Now what do you propose? How will you carry on supposing you were the president? What meaningful action will you deploy?
How will you prevent another loss of live, and rid the country of Boko Haram. In what timeline?
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by Kobojunkie: 4:26pm On Sep 05, 2011
PointB:

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree.

Now what do you propose? How will you carry on supposing you were the president? What meaningful action will you deploy?
How will you prevent another loss of live, and rid the country of Boko Haram. In what timeline?

I don't sit supposing I am the president. I don't engage in such.

Plus, why should I propose meaningful action when someone, who pretended to have the answers, got the job. So why ask me? Why not ask the person whom you hired what he intends to do about SOLVING THE PROBLEM? You should have asked him that last year since this whole debacle started about this time last two years, and we had all of last year to work aggressively to stop this from escalating to the point it has gotten today. Ask him what he has really done to develop the country security-wise, since his first year in office. It is clear to any person out there that our police force remains a gang for incompetent agbero's with badges. Why hasn't any of that changed? Ask him What was done to UPROOT this menace, among others, back during his first year. What failed? What is being done now to make sure this does not go any further?

These are some of the questions we ought to direct at the right authorities, not some random individual on the web, who expressed his solid view and opinion on what we have all witnessed,over the past couple of years, in that country.
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by goggs(m): 4:28pm On Sep 05, 2011
*yawn*

When the big heads roll wake me up.

*rolls over and goes back to sleep*
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by Johndoe100(m): 4:37pm On Sep 05, 2011
People, lets give GEJ the chance and space he needs to do his job. He has started the process and he will finish it.
The governor of bornu state has equally identified the joblessnes/ hopelesnes of his people as a factor in the apeal of BH to his people. He says he has started or is about to start a program to address this.
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by Thatdave(m): 4:51pm On Sep 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Plus, why should I propose meaningful action when someone, who pretended to have the answers, got the job. So why ask me? Why not ask the person whom you hired what he intends to do about SOLVING THE PROBLEM? You should have asked him that last year since this whole debacle started about this time last two years, and we had all of last year to work aggressively to stop this from escalating to the point it has gotten today. Ask him what he has really done to develop the country security-wise, since his first year in office. It is clear to any person out there that our police force remains a gang for incompetent agbero's with badges. Why hasn't any of that changed? Ask him What was done to UPROOT this menace, among others, back during his first year. What failed? What is being done now to make sure this does not go any further?

These are some of the questions we ought to direct at the right authorities, not some random individual on the web, who expressed his solid view and opinion on what we have all witnessed,over the past couple of years, in that country.
Lack of quality education in some interior parts of Nigeria has robbd some people of daily common sense! Look at someone critisizing his own president yet not being able to see himself as a president and profer a solution accordingly! This is Political autisim!
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by PointB: 4:59pm On Sep 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

In other words, you are clueless?
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by blacksta(m): 5:00pm On Sep 05, 2011
Thatdave:

Lack of quality education in some interior parts of Nigeria has robbd some people of daily common sense! Look at someone critisizing his own president yet not being able to see himself as a president and profer a solution accordingly! This is Political autisim!

Please tell us what the proposed solutions on NL will achieve in a country where sensitive positions are dashed out based on padi padi arrangements rather  than merit -   Why engage in fruitless agendas - Seriously i dont see the point - Let those in security positions propose solutions
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by Kobojunkie: 5:03pm On Sep 05, 2011
PointB:

In other words, you are clueless?

If you need it to mean that to you, I am good!!

I on the other-hand do not see how engaging in the same FUTILE nonsense we have so conveniently pacified ourselves with, for the past 12 years, will help anyone, even your person. 

I would however, appreciate it if you would direct your questions to the right authorities, you know, those whom you already HIRED to do the job for you, next time. Maybe before you hire them, make sure they have the ACTION PLANS NECESSARY to handle EXISTING cases effectively, so you will not need to consult CLUELESS random people online for answers.  grin
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by PointB: 5:03pm On Sep 05, 2011
Thatdave:

grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by KayDee4: 5:03pm On Sep 05, 2011
Thatdave:

Easy with the venom man, he's a she.

I think she answered the question somehow indirectly (see bolded part of her comment).

Kobojunkie:

While Mr president cannot carry guns and patrol the streets in the name of law enforcement, the least he can do is to ensure that people who run these organizations are competent people that are held accountable for failures in their department; that, he hasnt done.

The entire Police force is in dire need of a total overhaul and security personell need proper and serious training. That will be a good place to start.
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by PointB: 5:06pm On Sep 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

If you need it to mean that to you, I am good!! But I would appreciate it if you would direct your questions to the right authorities who you already HIRED to do the job for you next time.

I should direct my question to the right authorities, while you direct your frustrations to who exactly - Nairalanders?  This surely say so much for the quality of intellect you assume.
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by Kobojunkie: 5:07pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^ Yes, in a democracy, it is ABSOLUTELY wrong to direct your FRUSTRATIONS at the PEOPLE who happen to be the EMPLOYERS [/b]of those in power? Even though it says [b]Government BY PEOPLE, FOR the PEOPLE, it is intellectually silly to inform the people of your frustrations.  grin

I totally forgot that where Nigeria is involved, the rules must be turned on it's head for those like you to be happier with yourselves! grin
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by PointB: 5:36pm On Sep 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Yes, in a democracy, it is ABSOLUTELY wrong to direct your FRUSTRATIONS at the PEOPLE who happen to be the EMPLOYERS [/b]of those in power? Even though it says [b]Government BY PEOPLE, FOR the PEOPLE, it is intellectually silly to inform the people of your frustrations.  grin 

I totally forgot that where Nigeria is involved, the rules must be turned on it's head for those like you to be happier with yourselves! grin

Not silly, intellectually lazy, not to be able to able to articulate what you think government should do to solve a problem, simply because you believe democracy will solve you problem. Keep passing your cluelessness and frustrations across, perhaps one day Nairaland will solve your problem. Better still why don't you try founding Association of Clueless Nairalanders (ACN)  grin grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by Kobojunkie: 5:40pm On Sep 05, 2011
PointB:

Not silly, intellectually lazy,

Yes, Silly!!
PointB:

not to be able to able to articulate what you think government should do to solve a problem, simply because you believe democracy will solve you problem.
Oh!! I see you have finally concluded here that I am unable to articulate what I think government shoul do to solve the problem. So, we are no longer clueless then?
PointB:

Keep passing your cluelessness and frustrations across, perhaps one day Nairaland will solve your problem. Better still why don't you try founding Association of Clueless Nairalanders (ACN)  grin grin grin grin
As expected, I see you are confusing CLUELESSNESS with inability with articulate one's view.

Interesting  how this is the way these conversations go. Rather than accepting the fact which is that I simply do not see reason to engage in such FUTILE acts, even though you clearly believe EVERYONE should, you instead chose to make 2 CONFLICTING conclusions on the case in order to, I don't know, insult me? You might want to try HARDER next time . . anyways, Go on soun! grin
Re: Jonathan Fires Adviser On Counterterrorism by PointB: 5:54pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^^^

Your attempt to wrap this thread around yourself is childish, attention seeking, self serving, and downright silly (and that's putting it mildly).

This thread is not about you and your intellectual ability (or lack of it). It is about GEJ sacking his counter terrorism adviser, and whether it has an effect or not on the boko haram menace. I am not in the mood for cyclic argument, so if you dont have anything tangible to say on the topic have your fun!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ramadan: Kano Government Feeds 75,000 People Daily / Uzodima's Tailor Is At It Again(photo) / NIGERIA-UAE DEAL: Experts Predict Rise In Foreign Investments, Revenue Boost

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.