Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,598 members, 7,827,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Enough Of Table Based Layouts: Time To Migrate To Css-div Layouts - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Enough Of Table Based Layouts: Time To Migrate To Css-div Layouts (1163 Views)

Over 72,000 Tumblr Posts Migrate To Wordpress After Yahoo Acquisition. / How To Do Vertical Alignment With Div-based Layouts / Need Tutorials(e-books) On How To Build Website Layouts(temp) Using Photoshop. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enough Of Table Based Layouts: Time To Migrate To Css-div Layouts by virtualn(m): 1:43pm On Jul 07, 2010
I which to encourage all web designers who are still using tables for their layouts to summon up courage and move to css-div. It could be a little clumsy at first but if you keep at it you will get there. There are unending advantages to it, and it actually gives your site that professional look.

If anybody needs help regarding ebooks/video training to get you started let me know.
Re: Enough Of Table Based Layouts: Time To Migrate To Css-div Layouts by quadrillio(m): 4:32pm On Jul 07, 2010
thanks for the advice, I hope they will listen

-SAFE
Re: Enough Of Table Based Layouts: Time To Migrate To Css-div Layouts by alleno: 5:10pm On Jul 07, 2010
Thanks for "WHICHing" to encourage us! LOL.
Yeah, its a good thing but like you said, DIVs can look clumsy and difficult at first.

Thanks mate!
Re: Enough Of Table Based Layouts: Time To Migrate To Css-div Layouts by virtualn(m): 5:20pm On Jul 07, 2010
@alleno, if you dont start now when do you want to start. Do you use jquery at all? If you are familiar with Jquery you will understand what great advantage css-divs can bring to your designs.
Re: Enough Of Table Based Layouts: Time To Migrate To Css-div Layouts by cdeveloper(m): 12:02pm On Jul 08, 2010
To migrate from a regular table based layout to css-table layout using div has not always been that easy because you have to unlearn everything you have learned about css or should i say look at css from a different angle to get your head around it. That's why a book i read about css-table layout was titled "Everything You Know About CSS is Wrong" what a title, and it caught my attention. This also shows you how to port your designs to all the major browsers with just minor modification of you stylesheet. It is a great read and you can find the book either on sitpoint or google. The good news is that with css-table based layout you can get your design working almost the same on all browsers, however, you will along the line learn the hacks needed to get things working on IE 6 ,7. IE 8 plays along well with other gecko engine browsers when it comes to designing with the css-based table layout.
I hear that IE 9 is in beta and would include the features missing on its predecessors especially that rounded corners with pure css without involving images etc
Re: Enough Of Table Based Layouts: Time To Migrate To Css-div Layouts by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 09, 2010
If all the browsers now support rounding off corners with css, that will be great. I remember that when ajax first came out then, it was not all browsers that supported it, i had to wait until it had complete support before i started using it. The rounded table stuff will be the same. If all the browsers upgrade to support it, that will be just great.
Back then too, the marquee effect was not crossplatform, but these days almost all the browsers support it. Even chrome, mozilla, netscape et al.
When tabbed browsers first came out then too via Crazy Browser and others followed, eventually, it became a standard.
Re: Enough Of Table Based Layouts: Time To Migrate To Css-div Layouts by Jencejyde(m): 10:30pm On Jul 10, 2010
virtualn:

I which to encourage all web designers who are still using tables for their layouts to summon up courage and move to css-div. It could be a little clumsy at first but if you keep at it you will get there. There are unending advantages to it, and it actually gives your site that professional look.

If anybody needs help regarding ebooks/video training to get you started let me know.

Thanks bro! But emm maybe you could give us a demo script exhibiting the use of css-divs. That would be nice for the ENCOURAGEMENT Part. You know you have to give people some sort of benefit to make them change from traditional TABLES to Div tags.

(1) (Reply)

Opening Cpanel With Mtn/glo Connections / Amazon Associates Affiliate Marketing Using Pinterest / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.