Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,758 members, 7,820,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

One Song Of Death - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / One Song Of Death (1133 Views)

"The Denial Of Death": An Award Winning Book By Ernest Becker / LEGACIES - THE HARBINGER OF DEATH ( Book 1 Of The Supremacy Series) / A Song Of Gold And Blood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Song Of Death by Divepen1(m): 6:34am On Sep 24, 2018
I don't know where am I'm going or if it will make sense by the time I finish. If I finish writing, I'm not editing this because I'm also tired of everything. Don't worry, it's not a rant. It's a story but I don't know where to start.
But I can imagine you getting tired now. Let me tell you about Rico, the fair boy that just popped into my imagination.
One cold evening, he was trying his rattling teeth on a stone cold stale bread. One could see freshness sapped from his 14 years of age. Despite the cold of the night, he sat there and wondered how he intended to live. The life he was used to was just plucked away from some days before when his family had an accident.
That was the first time his paranoid parents would be taking him out. He tried asking for help from people but he was spurned for not having an incline of where he had spent most of his life.
As he sat on the street in the middle of the night, he ate the bread to keep himself from screaming. His torchlight was placed in front of him as his eyes darted from place to another.
His mother said he had the mind of a girl but his father it was good because only the paranoid survive. Well, they didn't.
'They are just hungry', Sulaimon his new playmate, with whom he sleeps in the uncompleted building alongside two other boys murmured.
Rico hoped it was true.
'They bit my hand', Rico grunted.
' Fashi... That's rats for you. They will eat it and blow it'.
Rico hoped it was true. There was a color in the eyes of one of them that seemed too whitish, but he had hoped motto live in the same fear his parents lived, but something was fishy.
He had noticed the absence of rats for two days after the last rain that fell. The downpour came with a strange smell that left him transfixed for some moments. That was three days before. He had lived in that building with the boys for two weeks and was aware of how infested with rats the place was. There was definitely something wrong but he should just hold his chill. After the rain, the rats stopped coming out. Their squeaks died. Instead, he had been noticing the skeletons of some dead rats on the ground. He was so sure they weren't just there. The skeletons of rats do not play on the road. And he relayed his fear to Sulaimon, who looked at him disdainfully and waved him aside.
'That's how you said Ade was been raped by Aunty Paula'.
'Because it's true'.
'Shut up. If anyone hears you and let Aunty Paula know, she will not give us money again.
He kept pondering on what could have been wrong with them but wasn't sure of who would take him seriously. That night, the wall around them was being scratched and spooked Sulaimon that he rose to kick it. The scratching stopped for a while and continued.
' I will kill this rat', Hassan, one of the other boys said.
Well, they all slept off using as the scratches as music and they were deep in their sleep when Rico noticed an unknown feeling around him. He screamed, rousing the others out of their sleep. They all dashed for the door as their plan was. The vigilante always wanted them to give him money and they always tried to do but he sometimes came around to scare them and amuse himself. Whenever he did that, he would roar with laughter and soon walk off.
' It's me', Rico shouted and switch on the hold ragged torchlight Sulaimon stole for him. Pointing it in every direction, he saw rats scampering for light in various directions.
'Rats'.
The others hissed and returned to their sleep. He was definitely sure he saw them. There was no doubt. He saw them. He did see them. The inspection he carried out on his body was enough to show him what was happening but the others weren't ready to listen to him. They all were tired from the previous day's job of carrying loads and needed a place to rest their head before preparing for the next day.
The wall became his guard. Not minding that he would have to buy another set of batteries the next day, he pointed the light at himself.
'O boy off this light', Tomiwa, the last boy murmured. He was the oldest, 17 years old.
' Rats. Rats don't act like that '.
Hassan began to kick in the darkness.
'Is your brain paining you?' Tomiwa yelled from his side. Fearfully, Rico picked his light.
'Help', Hassan yelled and began to pound his feet on the ground and slap his baggy trouser hard. Sulaimon grumbled out of his sleep, angry at them all.
'Light. My leg. Trousers', Hassan shrieked. The Vigilante from his side blew his whistles. It was a warning.
'Shut up', Tomiwa hissed.
Rico pointed the light at him. Rats scrambled away.
'My....Ah... Oko miiii' Hassan shrieked and rolled on the ground.
The vigilante came running towards them with his eyes blazing fire and his mouth chewing curses.
'You leave today', the old man shouted.
Hassan was still yelling. Something bulge in his trousers. He tore at his trousers and that brought concerns on the face of the old Vigilante. Rico was too scared to leave where he was.
The others have flooded the trousers with the rays od their torchlight. The man tore the trouser and out jumpedd two small rats. Their body disintegrated under the ray of light.
Sulaimon screamed and ran into Tomiwa, falling their torchlight. The light changed pointed towards the door.
The vigilante kicked the ground.
'What that?' The old man asked.
Rico pointed the torchlight at the man and soon rats were running out of view.
Hassan was still moaning. Suddenly, rats began to jump into the light in a frenzy. Their skins began to disintegrate.
Sulaimon and Hassan screamed.
' Outside. Outside' the old man shouted. Rico waited till they've gone out before sprinting after them. Soon, they were chased by the squeaks of rats.

1 Like

Re: One Song Of Death by Divepen1(m): 6:35am On Sep 24, 2018
Making sense .. Will continue ... And edit
Re: One Song Of Death by queenitee(f): 9:24am On Sep 25, 2018
Ehn na, it's making sense, continue. *smile*

1 Like

Re: One Song Of Death by Fazemood(m): 1:48pm On Sep 25, 2018
Yeah, Alota sense dey here paaa! ma guy... We be watching 'zambie Rat' for here Charlie grin

1 Like

Re: One Song Of Death by Eponymous: 11:18am On Jan 02, 2019
Divepen1:
I don't know where am I'm going or if it will make sense by the time I finish. If I finish writing, I'm not editing this because I'm also tired of everything. Don't worry, it's not a rant. It's a story but I don't know where to start.
But I can imagine you getting tired now. Let me tell you about Rico, the fair boy that just popped into my imagination.
One cold evening, he was trying his rattling teeth on a stone cold stale bread. One could see freshness sapped from his 14 years of age. Despite the cold of the night, he sat there and wondered how he intended to live. The life he was used to was just plucked away from some days before when his family had an accident.
That was the first time his paranoid parents would be taking him out. He tried asking for help from people but he was spurned for not having an incline of where he had spent most of his life.
As he sat on the street in the middle of the night, he ate the bread to keep himself from screaming. His torchlight was placed in front of him as his eyes darted from place to another.
His mother said he had the mind of a girl but his father it was good because only the paranoid survive. Well, they didn't.
'They are just hungry', Sulaimon his new playmate, with whom he sleeps in the uncompleted building alongside two other boys murmured.
Rico hoped it was true.
'They bit my hand', Rico grunted.
' Fashi... That's rats for you. They will eat it and blow it'.
Rico hoped it was true. There was a color in the eyes of one of them that seemed too whitish, but he had hoped motto live in the same fear his parents lived, but something was fishy.
He had noticed the absence of rats for two days after the last rain that fell. The downpour came with a strange smell that left him transfixed for some moments. That was three days before. He had lived in that building with the boys for two weeks and was aware of how infested with rats the place was. There was definitely something wrong but he should just hold his chill. After the rain, the rats stopped coming out. Their squeaks died. Instead, he had been noticing the skeletons of some dead rats on the ground. He was so sure they weren't just there. The skeletons of rats do not play on the road. And he relayed his fear to Sulaimon, who looked at him disdainfully and waved him aside.
'That's how you said Ade was been raped by Aunty Paula'.
'Because it's true'.
'Shut up. If anyone hears you and let Aunty Paula know, she will not give us money again.
He kept pondering on what could have been wrong with them but wasn't sure of who would take him seriously. That night, the wall around them was being scratched and spooked Sulaimon that he rose to kick it. The scratching stopped for a while and continued.
' I will kill this rat', Hassan, one of the other boys said.
Well, they all slept off using as the scratches as music and they were deep in their sleep when Rico noticed an unknown feeling around him. He screamed, rousing the others out of their sleep. They all dashed for the door as their plan was. The vigilante always wanted them to give him money and they always tried to do but he sometimes came around to scare them and amuse himself. Whenever he did that, he would roar with laughter and soon walk off.
' It's me', Rico shouted and switch on the hold ragged torchlight Sulaimon stole for him. Pointing it in every direction, he saw rats scampering for light in various directions.
'Rats'.
The others hissed and returned to their sleep. He was definitely sure he saw them. There was no doubt. He saw them. He did see them. The inspection he carried out on his body was enough to show him what was happening but the others weren't ready to listen to him. They all were tired from the previous day's job of carrying loads and needed a place to rest their head before preparing for the next day.
The wall became his guard. Not minding that he would have to buy another set of batteries the next day, he pointed the light at himself.
'O boy off this light', Tomiwa, the last boy murmured. He was the oldest, 17 years old.
' Rats. Rats don't act like that '.
Hassan began to kick in the darkness.
'Is your brain paining you?' Tomiwa yelled from his side. Fearfully, Rico picked his light.
'Help', Hassan yelled and began to pound his feet on the ground and slap his baggy trouser hard. Sulaimon grumbled out of his sleep, angry at them all.
'Light. My leg. Trousers', Hassan shrieked. The Vigilante from his side blew his whistles. It was a warning.
'Shut up', Tomiwa hissed.
Rico pointed the light at him. Rats scrambled away.
'My....Ah... Oko miiii' Hassan shrieked and rolled on the ground.
The vigilante came running towards them with his eyes blazing fire and his mouth chewing curses.
'You leave today', the old man shouted.
Hassan was still yelling. Something bulge in his trousers. He tore at his trousers and that brought concerns on the face of the old Vigilante. Rico was too scared to leave where he was.
The others have flooded the trousers with the rays od their torchlight. The man tore the trouser and out jumpedd two small rats. Their body disintegrated under the ray of light.
Sulaimon screamed and ran into Tomiwa, falling their torchlight. The light changed pointed towards the door.
The vigilante kicked the ground.
'What that?' The old man asked.
Rico pointed the torchlight at the man and soon rats were running out of view.
Hassan was still moaning. Suddenly, rats began to jump into the light in a frenzy. Their skins began to disintegrate.
Sulaimon and Hassan screamed.
' Outside. Outside' the old man shouted. Rico waited till they've gone out before sprinting after them. Soon, they were chased by the squeaks of rats.

Divepen, what happened to this story?
Re: One Song Of Death by Divepen1(m): 11:21am On Jan 02, 2019
Eponymous:

Divepen, what happened to this story?
I've not developed it. I don't know if I'm ready to go through with it
Re: One Song Of Death by oloyedprince1(m): 12:51pm On Jan 02, 2019
I love dis story pls continue
Re: One Song Of Death by Ann2012(f): 1:05pm On Jan 02, 2019
Pls continue

Well done OP
Re: One Song Of Death by Eponymous: 1:11pm On Jan 02, 2019
Divepen1:
I've not developed it. I don't know if I'm ready to go through with it

OK, more inspiration to you.
Re: One Song Of Death by Divepen1(m): 1:12pm On Jan 02, 2019
Ann2012:
Pls continue

Well done OP
Hmm.. Something else popped up.. I wish there were lot of time.
Re: One Song Of Death by Ann2012(f): 1:29pm On Jan 02, 2019
Divepen1:

cry
Re: One Song Of Death by queenitee(f): 5:35pm On Jan 03, 2019
Divepen1:
Do you need help in anyway?
Re: One Song Of Death by Divepen1(m): 7:20pm On Jan 03, 2019
queenitee:

Do you need help in anyway?
grin

Except your hotel will finance the hard book publishing of Crawling In The Mud..

What I meant, and I just discovered that my statement was ambiguous, was that an idea just popped into my head as regards the story but I don't have the time now. Man must chop. I'm freelancing lowo. I'll get back to it.
Re: One Song Of Death by queenitee(f): 7:46pm On Jan 06, 2019
Divepen1:
grin

Except your hotel will finance the hard book publishing of Crawling In The Mud..

What I meant, and I just discovered that my statement was ambiguous, was that an idea just popped into my head as regards the story but I don't have the time now. Man must chop. I'm freelancing lowo. I'll get back to it.
Issokay, as long as it takes, always here

(1) (Reply)

Organic Gardening / Is The Need For Books Becoming Extinct? / [deleted]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.