Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,111 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:09 AM

Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? (565 Views)

Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 25, 2018
Hello,
I am Muslim and have read extensively about the arguments of some of the atheists. So this is not an argument thread neither am I looking for some general information about atheism.
Personally, I have no any encounter with spirit but I have some family relatives that had it at some point in their life, my cousin and my nephew. But those are not even the ones that interest me, because the case of my nephew seems like epilepsy to me. There are two cases that got me bewildered.
First one was that of our neighbor. A young boy of 14 and very energetic. This boy just falls down one day when coming back from school and since then he lost his ability to get up and walk by himself. What is surprising is that is not like he needed strong support to get up and walk. If you hold his hand or even his shirt, he would walk normally like a healthy human being but once you let him he would fall. Even if a boy of 3 years holds his shirt, he would walk like a healthy man. He was taken to the hospital and they say nothing is wrong with him. He has been like that for over 5 years. And One day I just got back from school and saw him walking alone. I asked his brother and he told me there was this Mallam that gave him some medications.
Then the second one which happened just like 6 months back. I went to my friends and as we were watching a movie we heard a loud shout of his house members calling him. He quickly ran out of the room and I could hear some noise like two people are fighting. When he comes back I asked him what happened, he told me it was possessed and was running out of the room so he stopped her and take her back home. He even used my phone to call the mallam that is taking care of her. He told me that her issue was that once someone touches her head, she would lose her senses and start running outside like a mad woman. A few days back, I asked him about his sister and he told me she's fine now. They took her to one alfa, he did some spiritual things to her and gives them an assurance that she would be fine. It has been five months and nothing has happened again. She even fought with one of her friends, the friend touches her head thinking that she's still possessed but nothing has happened.
So atheist how do you guys explain such scenarios? Note that: Doctors have been tried in both cases with no successs.
Re: Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? by LordReed(m): 5:56pm On Sep 25, 2018
papiforreal:
Hello,
I am Muslim and have read extensively about the arguments of some of the atheists. So this is not an argument thread neither am I looking for some general information about atheism.
Personally, I have no any encounter with spirit but I have some family relatives that had it at some point in their life, my cousin and my nephew. But those are not even the ones that interest me, because the case of my nephew seems like epilepsy to me. There are two cases that got me bewildered.
First one was that of our neighbor. A young boy of 14 and very energetic. This boy just falls down one day when coming back from school and since then he lost his ability to get up and walk by himself. What is surprising is that is not like he needed strong support to get up and walk. If you hold his hand or even his shirt, he would walk normally like a healthy human being but once you let him he would fall. Even if a boy of 3 years holds his shirt, he would walk like a healthy man. He was taken to the hospital and they say nothing is wrong with him. He has been like that for over 5 years. And One day I just got back from school and saw him walking alone. I asked his brother and he told me there was this Mallam that gave him some medications.
Then the second one which happened just like 6 months back. I went to my friends and as we were watching a movie we heard a loud shout of his house members calling him. He quickly ran out of the room and I could hear some noise like two people are fighting. When he comes back I asked him what happened, he told me it was possessed and was running out of the room so he stopped her and take her back home. He even used my phone to call the mallam that is taking care of her. He told me that her issue was that once someone touches her head, she would lose her senses and start running outside like a mad woman. A few days back, I asked him about his sister and he told me she's fine now. They took her to one alfa, he did some spiritual things to her and gives them an assurance that she would be fine. It has been five months and nothing has happened again. She even fought with one of her friends, the friend touches her head thinking that she's still possessed but nothing has happened.
So atheist how do you guys explain such scenarios? Note that: Doctors have been tried in both cases with no successs.

What type of doctors examined these people?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? by Seun(m): 6:06pm On Sep 25, 2018
In the first case, I don’t believe that the family didn’t consult any Alfa for 5 years. They must have been consulting Alfas all along and when the problem finally went away by itself, they assumed that the last Alfa who ‘treated’ him was responsible for the improvement.

In the second case, I don’t think we have enough information to figure out what was wrong with the woman, so it’s difficult to say if she has been cured, not to mention figuring out what actually cured her. I suspect that the reality is quite similar to the first case.

Even if, for the sake of argument, we assume that these stories are 100% true, the logical conclusion we can draw from them them is that some Alfas have medical skills. We cannot conclude that these skills are spiritual. Many modern medicines were originally discovered by scientists in herbs used by traditional healers.

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Sep 25, 2018
LordReed:

What type of doctors examined these people?
I have no idea. didnt follow them to the hospital. But am sure you know whoever they meet first would refer them to the appropriate department. There are people that have been seeing doctors for 3-4 years.
Re: Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Sep 25, 2018
Seun:
In the first case, I don’t believe that the family didn’t consult any Alfa for 5 years. They must have been consulting Alfas all along and when the problem finally went away by itself, they assumed that the last Alfa who ‘treated’ him was responsible for the improvement.

In the second case, I don’t think we have enough information to figure out what was wrong with the woman, so it’s difficult to say if she has been cured, not to mention figuring out what actually cured her. I suspect that the reality is quite similar to the first case.

Even if, for the sake of argument, we assume that these stories are 100% true, the logical conclusion we can draw from them them is that some Alfas have medical skills. We cannot conclude that these skills are spiritual. Many modern medicines were originally discovered by scientists in herbs used by traditional healers.
What is wrong with them is of course what is mysterious to me since the doctors could not explain it. Of course, they have been consulting alfas. But you know there would be a time when you may give up and then suddenly you hear about someone and his own work within one week or instantly. It defies sense not agree that he is the one that cured her.
As for the second one, the alfa even gives them assurance that he will refund them if she does it again so it is hard not believe it is him. It has been over months now and I still ask him occasionally.
Well, many things are still mysterious. Science doesnt have all the answers.
Re: Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? by LordReed(m): 6:56pm On Sep 25, 2018
papiforreal:

I have no idea. didnt follow them to the hospital. But am sure you know whoever they meet first would refer them to the appropriate department. There are people that have been seeing doctors for 3-4 years.

So how do we know a proper diagnosis was made? What were they seeing the doctors for, medicine?

1 Like

Re: Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 25, 2018
LordReed:

So how do we know a proper diagnosis was made? What were they seeing the doctors for, medicine?

Perhaps... You know better than the doctors. They should have contact you for the diagnosis. You know better than all the consultants at the teaching hosoitay
Re: Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? by LordReed(m): 8:49pm On Sep 25, 2018
papiforreal:

Perhaps... You know better than the doctors. They should have contact you for the diagnosis. You know better than all the consultants at the teaching hosoitay

Why have you suddenly become irrational? I asked a valid question and you become agitated? Did you not ask for us to attempt an explanation? I guess you are not ready for the hard questions.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? by daremiarchs(m): 10:36pm On Sep 25, 2018
grin
LordReed:

Why have you suddenly become irrational? I asked a valid question and you become agitated? Did you not ask for us to attempt an explanation? I guess you are not ready for the hard questions.
Re: Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? by Niflheim(m): 1:43pm On Sep 27, 2018
Mental illness is simply evidence of "mental illness", it is not evidence of spirits!!!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See What This 'man Of God' Said About Tithing.. / Lot's Wife Pillar, Mount Sodom, And Zohar Fortress / I Was Paid 10k To Carry This Placard In Support Of Pastor Fatoyinbo - Protester

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.