Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,015 members, 7,810,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? (254 Views)

Dear Atheists, How Are You? / Today Is World Atheist Day. NL Atheists How Did You Celebrate? / Atheists: How Do You Explain Spirit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Tobdek: 5:25pm On Mar 01
I'm a student who's an undercover atheist. I'm always getting accosted by christian fellowships left, right and center on campus. As someone who hates any type of attention, most times, I pretend to be an unserious, non-churchgoing christian but that only seems to draw these people's attention to me.

Last semester, a guy invited me to church, service was scheduled for 7am, by 6:30am, this guy came to my room to wake me up! His face was literally the first thing I saw in the morning. It was so annoying. This is just one out of the many annoying things this guy and other "evangelists" have done to drag me to their church. I don't want to be known as an atheist for obvious reasons, yet, I want to ward off people like this guy and his ilk. I'd like to hear from other atheists.

Cc Lordreed
Epositive
Martinez39s
Hahn
Musicwriter
Seun

1 Like

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Kobojunkie: 5:28pm On Mar 01
Tobdek:
I'm a student who's an undercover atheist. I'm always getting accosted by christian fellowships left, right and center on campus. As someone who hates any type of attention, most times, I pretend to be an unserious, non-churchgoing christian but that only seems to draw these people's attention to me.
Last semester, a guy invited me to church, service was scheduled for 7am, by 6:30am, this guy came to my room to wake me up! His face was literally the first thing I saw in the morning. It was so annoying. This is just one out of the many annoying things this guy and other evangelists have done to drag me to their church. I don't want to be known as an atheist for obvious reasons, yet, I want to ward off people like this guy and his ilk. I'd like to hear from other atheists.
You are not undercover, you are simply undecided. I was a student once myself and I got invites which I turned down with little to no difficulty. If you are busy giving them mixed signals, what do you expect would continue to happen? undecided
Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Tobdek: 5:31pm On Mar 01
Kobojunkie:
You are not undercover, you are simply undecided. I was a student once myself and I got invites which I turned down with little to no difficulty. If you are busy giving them mixed signals, what do you expect would continue to happen? undecided

I'm trying to avoid the negative attention that might generate. Who'd want to associate with an atheist in this hyper-religious clime? More importantly, I may lose opportunities because of it.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Kobojunkie: 5:34pm On Mar 01
Tobdek:
■ I'm trying to avoid the negative attention that might generate. Who'd want to associate with an atheist in this hyper-religious clime?
■ More importantly, I may lose opportunities because of it.
Storyland! Simply telling people you will have none of what they are offering will bring negative attention to your person? Do those same people not equally reject offers from others? Abeg, make we hear word. undecided

2. If you are looking to kiss arse then why draw a religious line to begin with? undecided
Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Tobdek: 5:35pm On Mar 01
Kobojunkie:
Storyland! Simply telling people you will have none of what they are offering will bring negative attention to your person? Do those same people not equally reject offers from others? Abeg, make we hear word. undecided
Lol. Do you live in Nigeria at all?

3 Likes

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Kobojunkie: 5:39pm On Mar 01
Tobdek:
■ Lol. Do you live in Nigeria at all?
2024 and you are still brandishing this excuse? Abeg, comot make we hear word! lipsrsealed
Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by WhiteWood: 5:43pm On Mar 01
Just tell them that you have no interest in attending other people's business church and that you are planning on building your own business church where Jesus is depicted as a black man rather than a blond hair white man with blue eyes. they will respect your decision and leave you alone.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Martinez39s(m): 5:58pm On Mar 01
Each time they come to you, tell them you are not a member of their church and you won't be attending. If they ask you what church do you attend tell them "nobody's business" or call a church that is much different from theirs. grin

1 Like

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by LordReed(m): 6:21pm On Mar 01
Tobdek:

Last semester, a guy invited me to church, service was scheduled for 7am, by 6:30am, this guy came to my room to wake me up! His face was literally the first thing I saw in the morning. It was so annoying. This is just one out of the many annoying things this guy and other "evangelists" have done to drag me to their church. I don't want to be known as an atheist for obvious reasons, yet, I want to ward off people like this guy and his ilk. I'd like to hear from other atheists.

Cc Lordreed
Epositive
Martinez39s
Hahn
Musicwriter
Seun

If there are multiple churches in the vicinity tell them you are going to the church that's not their own. And if they try to press tell them no thank you you would like to attend the other church. If you can't just tell them no thanks you'll go next time.
Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:31pm On Mar 01
tell xtians you are a muslim, and tell muslims you are a xtian.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Epositive(m): 7:18pm On Mar 01
I feel you. I have been there. I have a biblical name (a prophet name) which even worsen my case then. You can tell them you attend white garment or a Jehovah's witness at least. In my own case, I told them I was a C & S member which was true anyways so they chilled - in the long run.

Stop going and simply tell the guy not to bother anymore. I'm currently a serving corp member who even lived in NCCF (Christian Corper's lodge) for my first few days till I rented my own place. Sometimes, I attend the choir concerts with my friends and all. No big deal. They just feel I'm a nonchalant Christian.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by hahn(m): 8:51pm On Mar 01
Tobdek:

Cc Lordreed
Epositive
Martinez39s
Hahn
Musicwriter
Seun

I would advice you to play along.

There is no need gaining religious enemies in this society of ours.

Go to church, be regular, become and usher and gradually work your way to the top and even become a pastor.

There are many perks to being able to control a multitude of people and you will be able to build a network of people willing to do the most just for you to "pray" for them.

I know of youth pastors who were getting free fuel during fuel scarcity, free transfers from their members and free kpekus from the church ladies.

Most people crave subjugation and if you can be in that position to manipulate and exploit them then you should grab the opportunity.

You really have nothing to lose.

For more guidance, you should read the "48 laws of power" by Robert Greene.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by LordReed(m): 9:40pm On Mar 01
hahn:

I would advice you to play along.

There is no need gaining religious enemies in this society of ours.

Go to church, be regular, become and usher and gradually work your way to the top and even become a pastor.

There are many perks to being able to control a multitude of people and you will be able to build a network of people willing to do the most just for you to "pray" for them.

I know of youth pastors who were getting free fuel during fuel scarcity, free transfers from their members and free kpekus from the church ladies.

Most people crave subjugation and if you can be in that position to manipulate and exploit them then you should grab the opportunity.

You really have nothing to lose.

For more guidance, you should read the "48 laws of power" by Robert Greene.

I wish I could take your advice. I am the kind of person that people easily trust, and I have always been in leadership positions, but my conscience won't let me undertake such a massive scale of deception. May be when I am older and a little more jaded, I would try it but right now I am enjoying my life free of religious bullshit.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by kingxsamz(m): 10:10pm On Mar 01
Tobdek:

Cc Lordreed
Epositive
Martinez39s
Hahn
Musicwriter
Seun

What I used to do whenever these people approach me is, I ask them to open a certain verse and read it out. Then I point out the difference in character between their god and the Jesus they're trying to sell to me, and ask them why I should waste my time being a part of such. Other times, I just point out some really fvcked up verse they aren't even aware of, and watch their confusion unfold as they struggle to defend it. Most times they end up walking away, praying their god touches my heart, lol.
If you know there's a lot to lose, there's no need letting anyone know. Just keep it low-key. And if you're trying to play along but don't need disturbance, just tell them you're Catholic and can't attend their church programmes. It's not that hard tbh.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by kingxsamz(m): 10:13pm On Mar 01
Kobojunkie:

2. If you are looking to kiss arse then why draw a religious line to begin with? undecided

You're fighting over nothing bros.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Kobojunkie: 10:20pm On Mar 01
kingxsamz:
■ You're fighting over nothing bros.
Fight over what exactly? undecided
Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by kingxsamz(m): 10:25pm On Mar 01
Kobojunkie:
Fight over what exactly? undecided

You don't live his reality, so you don't know what it's like for him. He might also have difficulty turning down those requests for certain reasons.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by hahn(m): 11:42pm On Mar 01
LordReed:

I wish I could take your advice. I am the kind of person that people easily trust, and I have always been in leadership positions, but my conscience won't let me undertake such a massive scale of deception. May be when I am older and a little more jaded, I would try it but right now I am enjoying my life free of religious bullshit.

Same here actually but the truth is, if you can play the game then you should.

Religion is easy money and besides, there is no heaven for being an atheist 🤷‍♂️

1 Like

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Martinez39s(m): 2:11am On Mar 02
hahn:

Religion is easy money and besides, there is no heaven for being an atheist 🤷‍♂️
grin grin grin
Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Image123(m): 7:58am On Mar 02
LordReed:

Foolish sinners fooling others and themselves.
Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Image123(m): 7:59am On Mar 02
Tobdek:

Cc Lordreed
Epositive
Martinez39s
Hahn
Musicwriter
Seun

The truth makes you free, simply tell them your problems.
Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Image123(m): 8:05am On Mar 02
hahn:

Aren't you in your "heaven" already? You can sin now without restraint. You can lie, cheat, be immoral, steal and all. Go on bro, it's your "turn".
Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by LordReed(m): 8:24am On Mar 02
hahn:

Yeah especially if you don't have to support a church organisation, just do prayer ministry on YouTube ala what god cannot do does not exist. LoLz.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by hahn(m): 11:17am On Mar 05
Image123:

Aren't you in your "heaven" already? You can sin now without restraint. You can lie, cheat, be immoral, steal and all. Go on bro, it's your "turn".

Christians lie, cheat, are immoral, steal and all even though they believe in god.

The only difference is you feel you can "pray" yout sins away.

You, especially, are going to hell regardless 🫂
Re: Atheists, How Do You Turn Down Invitations To Church? by Image123(m): 12:50pm On Mar 05
hahn:

Christians lie, cheat, are immoral, steal and all even though they believe in god.

The only difference is you feel you can "pray" yout sins away.

You, especially, are going to hell regardless 🫂

"without restraint" you read, "without restraint". Motive is totally different. Christians don't sin, that's the difference. A true Christian's sin is IF, not WHEN.

(1) (Reply)

Allow Experts To Repair Or Services Your A/C, Refrigerators, Washing Machine / Spiritual Digest For The Day 29th Of May 2016 / Spiritual Digest For The Day 7th Of June 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.