Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,699 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Need Advice On An Offer - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Need Advice On An Offer (463 Views)

Would You Sign An Offer Letter With An Acceptance Deadline Of 24 Hours? / Verbal Offer Is Not Enough, It Is Not An Offer Letter. / My Boss Indirectly Refused To Give Me An Offer Letter. What Should I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Need Advice On An Offer by wallay77(m): 6:59pm On Sep 25, 2018
nairalanders please i need candid advice on what decision to take pertaining something,first and foremost i am a graduate of one nigerian university, i studied computer science to be precise and graduated with 2.2,currently am serving in kwara state and by Gods grace will be through with service by next month...fast forward to what really prompted me creating this thread. There is this boss of mine who i worked for last year immediately after i finished my project in school,immediately after my project defense i decided to work a bit before the compulsory NYSC comes, so luckily my closest friend in school connected me to one of his uncles friend who has a shop on the island,at first the said person was reluctant to allow me work with me him because he opined he was in need of a SSCE graduate not a university graduate but after much plea he decided to give me chance.. at first i was pissed off with the way the wife behaves towards me but later she changed and wasnt giving me problem anymore. so after working for almost 6month i left for service,the husband and wife were pleased with the way i worked with them because they felt i was very loyal and trustworthy and this made them give me a huge pay off and i also recommended a friend to them who didn't even last because the wife doesnt like him.. so something happened recently the husband called me and asked what plans i have after service which i told him that i just wanted work a bit and gather the little i can then use it to travel out of the country to USA precisely.. so he came up with a deal that i work for him for 4yrs with monthly pay of 40k and after the 4yrs if am not caught doing any side business that he is going send me out of the country to go and stay with one of his family in the UK.... so here comes where the problem lies... first for a Bsc holder who has enough bills and younger ones looking up to me for financial assistance 40k is gonna be too small, but there is no job anywhere in Nigeria... secondly i feel the time is just too much.my uncles and aunts pls help a brother... Am just 26yrs of age..pls no insult
Re: Need Advice On An Offer by Wunmibonjay: 7:32pm On Sep 25, 2018
Pls dear sis don't bother taking that offer, it's not meant for you, he has actually done his own part by employing you before your NYSC so there is no point you going back again. Ask yourself what if he bridge the agreement? then you are at the lose end.if truly God lay it in his heart to help you he wouldn't put you under any conditions. Beware pls!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On An Offer by missyojo(f): 7:37pm On Sep 25, 2018
As an aunty, lol. I will advice that you tell him that you have plans for something else but you will work for him for the main time pending when your plans falls in place. Then in between those period of you working with him, you start looking out for another job with a better offer. I won't advice you work with him for that four years his proposing because human beings are unpredictable, he might come up with another story when the four years elapsed.
I hope have been able to be of help to a brother.
Cheers!!!

2 Likes

Re: Need Advice On An Offer by missidy: 8:01pm On Sep 25, 2018
Don't even try it. You better be wise, this is Nigeria. Someone wants to tie you down for 4 years and you want to accept just because he promised to send you abroad. You will be so disappointed, you won't even know how to recover from it. Not every open door is a blessing, learn to think ahead of others.

1 Like

Re: Need Advice On An Offer by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 25, 2018

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Need Advice On An Offer by Hollamie007: 8:57pm On Sep 25, 2018
Clarathomp:
As another aunty grin, I think you can do better than what this gentleman is offering more so that you have younger ones you want to take care of, a good degree and a good result. Not that our degrees matter much these days.

May I ask why your younger ones are already looking up to you when you haven't even found your own feet? Where are your parents in all of this? Forgive my bias but they (your parents) should be your top priority as they are the ones who took care of you from childhood to adulthood and paid your bills (school fees, feeding, shelter etc) not your siblings. However if helping your siblings will benefit your parents and ease the burden on them, then you have my blessings. BUT STILL parents over siblings any day and if they are really good parents then I say.....parents over siblings all the time. Parents age and grow weaker fast, siblings are young and virile so.....you get my drift abi?

What is your motivating factor? Going to USA, working for 40k just to gain experience? There's nothing wrong with taking a job, any kind of job for the pay so that bills can be paid. But this man's proposal is not one I'm excited about. 4 years is a long time and what's the guarantee that he will hold up his own end of the bargain at the end of 4 years?

If he can afford to sponsor your trip overseas, he can as well afford to pay you well now and enable you make your own plans, in your own time and in your own way. I think his proposal is akin to slavery. Food for thought; my ex boyfriend's boss gave him a car on his first job, but that car quickly turned into a sort of bondage. It didn't matter what time of day or night it was, if his boss wanted him to do something (e.g like pick him up from the airport late at night) my ex didn't have a choice but to do it. After all, no be oga give am car. grin

Don't get yourself into a situation where, if the boss says jump (as in, asks ridiculous or inappropriate things of you) you ask how high should I jump, all because of a promise to send you overseas. Only God keeps his promises, we humans can be fickle about promises. We honour promises when it suits us or it feels convenient for us to do so.

In this Buahri's economy someone is suggesting you not do any side business? What exactly did he mean by side business? Was it side hustle for extra income? Or side business as in, you shouldn't be caught cheating him in his business?

This aunty is the kind that will sit you down for hours giving concrete advise grin grin

Well done Ma

(1) (Reply)

Junior Accountants At Septagus Consulting Nigeria Limited / Vacancies For The Following Positions Please Read / Tizeti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.