Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,132 members, 7,829,035 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting (32497 Views)

How To Start Pig Farming In Nigeria – All The Secrets You Need To Know / Yoga With Nigerian Dwarf Goats In USA (Photos) / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by eebraa(m): 12:09pm On Sep 26, 2018
Nice one...I'm lucky to have 6 of them in my farm at Kaduna
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by ericuzor(m): 12:12pm On Sep 26, 2018
eebraa:
Nice one...I'm lucky to have 6 of them in my farm at Kaduna
can you update pix so we can confirm its same thing with the goat the OP is talking about
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by dedons: 12:16pm On Sep 26, 2018
Flexherbal:
I would like to add that to my farm.
Oga are you into piggery?
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by smokers: 12:18pm On Sep 26, 2018
i remember my former school funaab got some kalahari goats back each goat was around 150k then when dollar still be N150 wink now wey dollar don double you can calculate how much it would cost grin
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by benedictuyi(m): 12:24pm On Sep 26, 2018
Op how prolific are they?
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by billyG(m): 12:26pm On Sep 26, 2018
Make Audu ogbe import those sweet goats distribute to willing youths male & female to boost d economy na!Let Dem walkbd talk.
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by EhiGid(m): 12:30pm On Sep 26, 2018
quote author=Willie2015 post=71540800]

-That,s what the Min of Agriculture is expected to do.
- Import some Kalahari goats and cross breed with our local goats
- And/or get semen for artificial insemination.
-Distribute to farmers nationwide at subsidized price
- We should have all these exotic hybrids of animals(goats & cows) in Nigeria by now

Na only MOU we dey see, no concrete results on ground[/quote]

I feel your pain bro.
You must be from Edo
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 26, 2018
Willie2015:

- We should have all these exotic hybrids of animals(goats & cows) in Nigeria by now

Na only MOU we dey see, no concrete results on ground
so we still have lots of sensible people here on nairaland, best comment so far, I love your way of reasoning grin grin grin
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 26, 2018
ped007:
Me read this loooooooooong thing cus of a goat...
God forbid!
Lazy Nigerian youth

2 Likes

Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by noblealuu: 1:12pm On Sep 26, 2018
joyhoney:
pls I wan to go into agriculture, pls how can I start , any advice

Are you in Lagos?
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by dasean1(m): 1:22pm On Sep 26, 2018
ped007:
Me read this loooooooooong thing cus of a goat... God forbid!
lol... i dey tell you, bro
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by olumide81(m): 1:28pm On Sep 26, 2018
Interested
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by Flyingngel(m): 1:30pm On Sep 26, 2018
naijafarmers post:

Enjoy reading!

Good post, i have passion for this agricultural business but it is fund and land that have limited me. Hw can one contact you for future business
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by ped007(m): 1:42pm On Sep 26, 2018
GOAT oya summarize for me na
YoungFr:

Lazy Nigerian youth
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by OlujobaSamuel: 2:15pm On Sep 26, 2018
smokers:
i remember my former school funaab got some kalahari goats back each goat was around 150k then when dollar still be N150 wink now wey dollar don double you can calculate how much it would cost grin
15k or 150k??
if true, then i dont see the economic viability in nigeria.
the op should kindly help with some known sellers or farmers in nigeria and give an idea of the price.
nice one though
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by kcreativeme: 2:42pm On Sep 26, 2018
OlujobaSamuel:

15k or 150k??
the op should kindly help with some known sellers or farmers in nigeria and give an idea of the price.
nice one though
It was imported from S. Africa around 2014 or 15 (can't remember the exact year) by the Versity in dollars. The cost could be that high.
They adapted fast also.
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by kcreativeme: 2:52pm On Sep 26, 2018
olusegunadex:
Meat with class. Didn't know that these red goats got real worth like this o. Glad to know now.

It is different from the Red sokoto breed (whose hide is highly value around the world for the Morocco leather gotten from it).
We fail to appreciate what we have in this country.
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by abbeyfel: 2:58pm On Sep 26, 2018
Alake!
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by abbeyfel: 2:59pm On Sep 26, 2018
kcreativeme:

It is different from the Red sokoto breed (whose hide is highly value around the world for the Morocco leather gotten from it).
We fail to appreciate what we have in this country.
It's the same joor!
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by kcreativeme: 3:00pm On Sep 26, 2018
Opinionated:
What about Sahara white goat?

Do you mean White sahel/ Sahelian goat?
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by tunde2222: 5:38pm On Sep 26, 2018
naijafarmers:
The Kalahari Red goats are amongst the most craved goat breeds in Africa. Bred for meat purposes, they are distinctive and genetically special goat breeds originating from South Africa, like other high quality breeds such as the Savana and Boer.

The name emanated from their red coat and the Kalahari desert, which spans the border of Botswana, South Africa and Namibia.

This goat breed is getting more recognition, and many populations of the Kalahari red goats are being adopted in Nigeria and in many nations, including Australia, Brazil and the United States, due to its unique qualities, including the tenderness of its meat, the camouflage, the hardiness and more.

Here are some of the top reasons why the Kalahari Red goats are being reared, and are considered as important in Nigeria – their characteristics;

Appearances
They have long, floppy ears, loose skin in their neck area and moderately-sized, sloping horns above their ears. Their skin is fully pigmented, which allow them to forage and increase weight gains through the heat of the day. The does have full and properly attached udders and teats (Roysfarm). Their earthy colour makes them less visible to predators (Embryoplus)

Kalahari Goat Meat Nutritious Values
The meat is so nutritious with a nice texture. It contains a higher percentage of iron than its rivals.

The percentage of protein it possesses matches that of the beef, while also containing the least percentage of fat and saturated fat, when compared to other animals reared for meat purposes.

Raising Kalahari Red goats
Raising these goats can be less stressful. These goats are truly African in nature, due to their survival instincts and readiness to adapt to any condition and habitats. They display wide-grazing capabilities, and can feed on various types of plants, grass and grains, when compared to sheep. They are good protectors of their offsprings, and they are resistant to various internal and external inflicting parasites.

Kalahari Red Goat Farming in Nigeria
These breeds are readily available by varieties of goat suppliers in Nigeria. If you are one, let us know in the comments section. Interested in goat farming? Click here to read on how to start goat farming in Nigeria.

Why you should consider rearing them
The goat meats are usually in high demand in specific areas of the country, and they grow relatively fast. This goat breed is very suitable for commercial goat farming business.

More Economic Values
Skin from the Kalahari Red provides the best leather material for the tannery industries. This, if properly harnessed for international trade, has a great potential as a foreign exchange earner and can put Nigeria in an enviable position in the global leather industry.

Source: https://naijafarmers.com/2018/09/22/kalahari-red-goats-farming-nigeria/
very good and informative writeup. But why have you decided not to answer questions related to price and how we can get it.
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by Eynosaintval(m): 5:59pm On Sep 26, 2018
naijafarmers:
The Kalahari Red goats are amongst the most craved goat breeds in Africa. Bred for meat purposes, they are distinctive and genetically special goat breeds originating from South Africa, like other high quality breeds such as the Savana and Boer.

The name emanated from their red coat and the Kalahari desert, which spans the border of Botswana, South Africa and Namibia.

This goat breed is getting more recognition, and many populations of the Kalahari red goats are being adopted in Nigeria and in many nations, including Australia, Brazil and the United States, due to its unique qualities, including the tenderness of its meat, the camouflage, the hardiness and more.

Here are some of the top reasons why the Kalahari Red goats are being reared, and are considered as important in Nigeria – their characteristics;

Appearances
They have long, floppy ears, loose skin in their neck area and moderately-sized, sloping horns above their ears. Their skin is fully pigmented, which allow them to forage and increase weight gains through the heat of the day. The does have full and properly attached udders and teats (Roysfarm). Their earthy colour makes them less visible to predators (Embryoplus)

Kalahari Goat Meat Nutritious Values
The meat is so nutritious with a nice texture. It contains a higher percentage of iron than its rivals.

The percentage of protein it possesses matches that of the beef, while also containing the least percentage of fat and saturated fat, when compared to other animals reared for meat purposes.

Raising Kalahari Red goats
Raising these goats can be less stressful. These goats are truly African in nature, due to their survival instincts and readiness to adapt to any condition and habitats. They display wide-grazing capabilities, and can feed on various types of plants, grass and grains, when compared to sheep. They are good protectors of their offsprings, and they are resistant to various internal and external inflicting parasites.

Kalahari Red Goat Farming in Nigeria
These breeds are readily available by varieties of goat suppliers in Nigeria. If you are one, let us know in the comments section. Interested in goat farming? Click here to read on how to start goat farming in Nigeria.

Why you should consider rearing them
The goat meats are usually in high demand in specific areas of the country, and they grow relatively fast. This goat breed is very suitable for commercial goat farming business.

More Economic Values
Skin from the Kalahari Red provides the best leather material for the tannery industries. This, if properly harnessed for international trade, has a great potential as a foreign exchange earner and can put Nigeria in an enviable position in the global leather industry.

Source: https://naijafarmers.com/2018/09/22/kalahari-red-goats-farming-nigeria/

I am interested in the farming please
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by ameh99: 6:16pm On Sep 26, 2018
[quote author=blackpanda post=71540492]so where does one get the goat kids from[/quote

they are the most common breeds in the far north and they are also reffered to as Sokoto breed...

1 Like

Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by kcreativeme: 7:08pm On Sep 26, 2018
abbeyfel:
It's the same joor!
Explain!
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by kcreativeme: 7:21pm On Sep 26, 2018
[quote author=ameh99 post=71551153][/quote]
So sorry to tell you that you're wrong.
Have you forgetten the saying "don't judge a book by its cover". I believe you made your conclusion based on the image.
Read about the origin of both breeds so that you will understand better.
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by vanmusco(m): 7:54pm On Sep 26, 2018
Willie2015:

Na only MOU we dey see, no concrete results on ground
we have cross breeds already. I crossed Kalahari red with our west African dwarf as my project in Funaab. Other Nigerian Universities like ABU crossed with red sokoto

1 Like

Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by Willie2015: 8:07pm On Sep 26, 2018
vanmusco:
we have cross breeds already. I crossed Kalahari red with our west African dwarf as my project in Funaab. Other Nigerian Universities like ABU crossed with red sokoto

I am aware.
Funnab cases are simply for research purposes. It also also include few ones in research institutes like NAPRI.
We need the Ministry of Agriculture to take it to another level with appropriate partnership
Let it be available to every goat farmer in Nigeria including folks in our village
This is the way to revolutionize that sector
As it is now, the general public don't have access to few available ones in research institutes.
If you need one for your farm, you have to import which is expensive.

1 Like

Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by Flexherbal(m): 11:20pm On Sep 28, 2018
dedons:
Oga are you into piggery?

No for now
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by vanmusco(m): 7:56am On Sep 29, 2018
Opinionated:
What about Sahara white goat?
its called Boer goat, they are the same
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by Opinionated: 8:05am On Sep 29, 2018
vanmusco:
its called Boer goat, they are the same

Okay thanks.
Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by greenmonk: 6:27pm On Oct 01, 2018
Willie2015:

I am aware.
Funnab cases are simply for research purposes. It also also include few ones in research institutes like NAPRI.
We need the Ministry of Agriculture to take it to another level with appropriate partnership
Let it be available to every goat farmer in Nigeria including folks in our village
This is the way to revolutionize that sector
As it is now, the general public don't have access to few available ones in research institutes.
If you need one for your farm, you have to import which is expensive.
The issue is that our universities are very lazy. They prefer extortion from students than going into productive research. What stops a university with available students labour from breeding the goat for minimal commercial purpose which can deepen the availability in the country.

1 Like

Re: Kalahari Red Goats Farming In Nigeria - All You Should Know Before Starting by chriswu(m): 11:43pm On Oct 16, 2018
it was 150k because they were imported by the government and bred here. for a good boergoat or kalahari, you should budget 500 to 900k to import one. The issue is not the importation but are average Nigerians willing to cough out that much money for the kids?
also, there are a couple farms/ ranch i.e pilgrimage ranch and pretzel farms in Nigeria that have them.
OlujobaSamuel:

15k or 150k??
nice one though

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Secures Order For Pigeon Pea From India / Help! Pls What Is This Plant Growing In My Nursery? / Fulani Herdsmen Destroy Farms Worth Millions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.