Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,329 members, 7,826,306 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:30 PM

N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers (2044 Views)

In A Letter, Boko Haram Threatens To Attack Polling Centers In Gombe State / PHOTOS: CBN Governor Spends N17Billion Fraudulently On Mansions / Boko Haram Plans To Use Mechanics, Car Wash Centers To Plant Bombs In Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Kobojunkie: 6:43pm On Jul 13, 2010
snowdrops:

It is a difficult and not yet a lost case, hence i still plan to write my rep. c/o the National Assembly Abuja.

I am skeptical of what the aims will be asking "people" to search for their addresses. There are hundreds of reps. in Abuja. I did a random search and not one had contact details on the profile pages in the website. So the change should not be limited to my rep. but every single one so as to bridge the gap btw the electorate and the elected.

I understand what you mean about not having access to them and I get it. But I still feel we need to do all that is possible to get to these people. At the end of the day, they have their jobs there are our reps. . . And we need to find a way to get to them.
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 13, 2010
Jarus, God Bless you, I have tears in my eyes. Thanks, please spread the message, snowdrops, kobojunkie God Bless you
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Jarus(m): 9:35am On Jul 14, 2010
Jarus:

Aisha2, I'm with you on this. I just finished penning this article for publication in Nigerian papers.

Kidney Centre: A Better ‘Nigeria @ 50’ Gift
By ********
For start, let me state that the above is not my original idea. It was suggested by a concerned lady that opened discussion on the subject on Nairaland.com, Nigeria’s largest online discussion forum. Aisha2, as her moniker goes, is a lady with an uncommon passion for humanitarian services. I find her suggestion above not only laudable but also worthy of trumpeting to the outer world.

Nigeria is a nation of jesters. It baffles me when we brazenly celebrate mediocrity. Ghana celebrated 50 years of independence three years ago. They had something to show for it, yet they did not go on spending spree like this. Now three years after, Ghana is gradually becoming a lesson in what good governance can earn you – from politics to economy and even to mundane aspects like football, the country is getting it right.

Now, Nigeria is 50. The state of things in the country is currently in its all-time low. Our politics is in shambles and economy hovering on the valley of death. Even in less serious aspects like sports, we continue to disgrace ourselves at the global scene.

Given this shabby situation we are currently, rolling out drums to celebrate one anniversary is the last thing I expect a serious government to do. More surprising is the bogus amount set aside for the litany of unproductive events lined up for the anniversary.

Splashing 6 billion naira on independence anniversary, is wanton display of profligacy in a country where thousands of people die on daily basis due to lack of adequate healthcare facility. I read in papers almost on daily basis cases of poor parents begging for assistance in raising funds to finance the treatment of many Nigerians, especially children, suffering from renal diseases. This is why I am backing Aisha2’s suggestion. Kidney disease is now prevalent in Nigeria and due to the unaffordable cost of treatment, many people have already died of the disease.

I am made to understand that there is no single kidney centre in Nigeria. Setting up one, equipped with modern facility, I learnt, costs about 500 million Naira. Putting up four in different parts of the country will cost 2 billion naira, just one-third of the amount about to go down the drain in the farce called Nigeria at 50 anniversary. This is a better gift for Nigerians, especially the children.

Aisha2’s suggestion was prompted by the story of the death of a brilliant boy, who died earlier that day. The boy, said to be the best physics and mathematics student in his school, died after 3 years efforts to raise 10 million naira to undergo treatment abroad proved abortive. Within a couple of hours after the discussion was initiated, two other contributors narrated how they lost father and sibling respectively to kidney problem, underscoring the prevalence of the disease in our midst today.

Do we even need to remind our government of the importance of this? Having just lost our number one citizen to the disease, I am surprised the new government did not even deem it fit to look along that line. This is another wake-up call for Jonathan government.

Published on Nigerian Village square this morning.
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/kidney-centre-a-better-nigeria-50-gift.html

Will post here as other media also publish the piece
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by kaybanwo: 10:40am On Jul 14, 2010
10 billion can build kidney centres
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Jarus(m): 9:53am On Jul 19, 2010
Jarus:

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/kidney-centre-a-better-nigeria-50-gift.html

Article published in Thisday of yesterday, 18/07/2010. Online edition not posted on Thisday website yet.
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by blacksta(m): 11:00am On Jul 19, 2010
Well Done - Mr Jarus.
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Jarus(m): 8:43am On Jul 20, 2010
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Nobody: 9:14am On Jul 20, 2010
Thank you oh Jarus, you are taking the campaign to a whole new level
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by timfalomo(m): 3:33pm On Jul 20, 2010
This is a must read for Mr President. Facebook might be an avenue.
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 20, 2010
It is Already on His facebook page, Infact I rmind him everyday
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Jarus(m): 8:43pm On Jul 25, 2010
Daily Trust brings to three the number of papers that have published that article.
http://www.weekly.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3639&catid=19&Itemid=110
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by PapaBrowne(m): 9:59pm On Jul 25, 2010
@Jarus. Nice one man! I saw the article on Thisday last week and I was like whoa!! this is going far. I hope those blind leaders get to see it and act!!
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jul 25, 2010
Thank you oh Jarus, we will do our own part. God Bless you. Another Child died today
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by philip0906(m): 10:18pm On Jul 25, 2010
@all
u all never cease 2 amuse me.a country dat don't care about providing d basics for its citizens,it is now kidney transplant center they will establish?The number of people that have died as a result of lack of electricity,lack of water is much higher than those that have died of kidney failure,yet it does not move those crooks,it is now a "minority" that die of kidney failure that will move them?even if u like carry placards and campaign on d streets of abuju,in front of aso rock,nothing will happen. . .so y'all should just 4get 'em.Its just a pity it is so in Nigeria embarassed embarassed
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jul 25, 2010
Jarus na u be d man ohhh, Jarus no one can thank you enough here, keep going
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Nobody: 12:09am On Jul 26, 2010
Jarus:

Very nice. Interesting read.
Thanks mehn. We need something like this.
I'm simply hoping Nigeria will open it's own medical research institute. Pardon me if we have some already in progress, as we have nothing to show for it.
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by princekevo(m): 8:29am On Jul 26, 2010
Please Aisha 2, i just read in a new thread the amount has been increase to N17billion as approved by our PDP. You can aswell update the tittle of your thread.
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by philip0906(m): 8:33am On Jul 26, 2010
princekevo:

Please Aisha 2, i just read in a new thread the amount has been increase to N17billion as approved by our PDP. You can aswell update the tittle of your thread.
*DEATH*
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jul 26, 2010
Thanks
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by monkeyleg: 7:27pm On Jul 26, 2010
Aisha2,

You know GJ is on facebook, and I hear he responds to posts. have you tried taking your case there. You are likely to get major support from people who have signed up to his fan page. Give it a try
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by PapaBrowne(m): 8:23pm On Jul 26, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Very nice. Interesting read.
Thanks mehn. We need something like this.
I'm simply hoping Nigeria will open it's own medical research institute. Pardon me if we have some already in progress, as we have nothing to show for it.
Seconded!!
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by Nobody: 9:34am On Jul 27, 2010
I post it on his page every morning
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by IG: 12:32pm On Aug 21, 2010
Forgive me if I am repeating what somebody has already said cos I have not read through all the posts.
I just want to let us know that there is a kidney center at the University Of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital.

Weather they do transplants there or not, I do not know. And I am not in a position to know how well equipped
it is because I do not know what equipments a good kidney center is suppose to have. But I know from time to time
you hear that new equipment are being installed there.

I am telling everybody about it in the hope that it will help the cause of people like aisha2.
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by 1luvkipsus: 1:09pm On Aug 21, 2010
Only God knows wot manner of a president we ve in Jonathan.d N23b for presidential jets can revive our ailin industries.half of d N87.7b for inec can fix our infrastructure.are we rily sure we need Jonathan?but then,he's 100times beta dan ibb & atiku.
Re: N17billion Anniverssary Fund: Mr. Presidet, Please Give Us Kidney Centers by IG: 6:25am On Sep 02, 2010
A successfull kidney transplant was carried out at the University Of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital's kideney center by a group of Nigerian doctors drawn from 3 Nigerian teaching hospitals. I saw it on the local news in Maiduguri.

http://www.peoplesdaily-online.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13533:maiduguri-teaching-hospital-conducts-its-first-kidney-transplant&catid=16:national-news&Itemid=33

From Mustapha Isah Kwaru, Maiduguri with agency report

Nigeria once again made history yesterday when one of its second generation universities, the University of Maiduguri, through its Teaching Hospital (UMTH), announced the conduct of its first successful kidney transplant.
Though the university was established in 1973, its teaching hospital only took off 17 years ago.
The transplant was successfully conducted on a 31-year-old man, Suleiman Usman.
Breaking the news of the medical breakthrough to journalists in Maiduguri yesterday, the Chief Medical Director of the institution, Prof. Othman Kyari, explained that the transplant was carried out on Monday at the university’s Kidney Centre, established in 1990.
Speaking further Kyari said: “The kidney was donated by the junior brother of the patient, Abubakar Usman, aged 27. Both the donor and the recipient are in good conditions and are recuperating in our ward.”
“Although the hospital spent about N2 million on the transplant, we did not charge the patient a dime. The successful transplant is no doubt a product of a long-term planning especially in terms of preparing our doctors through local and foreign courses,” Kyari added.
He said the surgery was conducted in conjunction with the Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospital (OAUTH) and the Aminu Kano University Teaching Hospital (AKUT).
“We decided to collaborate with sister agencies instead of foreign organisations because it was easier and manageable,” he explained further.
Also speaking, the Coordinator of the UMTH Kidney Centre, Dr Williams Wundi, described the transplant as “the first truly indigenous in the North-East.”
“This is the first truly indigenous transplant because the lab analysis and the operations were also conducted in the hospital,” Wundi said.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sanusi Can Remove Bank Ceos, Says Court / Nigeria: Africa's Failed Asset - Sanusi Lamido Sanusi's Response / But What Is So Special About Mandela?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.