Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,195 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:25 AM

Whatsapp's Co-founder Brian Acton Regrets Selling Whatsapp To Facebook - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Whatsapp's Co-founder Brian Acton Regrets Selling Whatsapp To Facebook (344 Views)

Bill Gates Sr Is Dead. Microsoft Co-Founder, Bill Gates' Father Dies / Alibaba Co-founder Jack Ma Announces Plans To Retire At 54 / Why Whatsapp Co-founder Brian Acton Is Leaving The Company He Created (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Whatsapp's Co-founder Brian Acton Regrets Selling Whatsapp To Facebook by Nprecious: 9:07am On Sep 27, 2018
Facebook acquired messaging platform WhatsApp in 2014 for $16 billion. At the time the company’s co-founders Brian Acton and Jan Koum vowed that the merger would not compromise their vision for the company.

In 2016, they implemented end-to-end encryption into the app, and it quickly became a point of contention. Facebook wanted to be able to use the platform for targeted advertising and monetization of corporate analytics tools. Acton ended up walking away from $850 million in stock options over then matter, and Koum followed suit less than a year later.

In a recent interview with Forbes, Acton alluded that he feels some remorse for selling the company to the social media titan Facebook.

“At the end of the day, I sold my company,” he said. “I sold my users’ privacy to a larger benefit. I made a choice and a compromise. I live with that every day.”

According to Acton, Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg were the primary instigators in his departure. They pushed for the monetization efforts, and when Acton pushed back, the two just redoubled their efforts. Acton could tell that they were not going to back down, so he quit.

READ MORE
https://dropletsweb.com/whatsapps-co-founder-brian-acton-regrets-selling-whatsapp-to-facebook/

Re: Whatsapp's Co-founder Brian Acton Regrets Selling Whatsapp To Facebook by StarOnEarth(m): 9:41am On Sep 27, 2018
I dont get sef
Mark was suppose to pay them 16billion for the app and not monetize it or what?
Re: Whatsapp's Co-founder Brian Acton Regrets Selling Whatsapp To Facebook by Immaculatesnow(m): 9:44am On Sep 27, 2018
At least he was paid 850million dollars which sold last him a lifetime.

I want a verified Nigerian AdSense account to buy

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Tutor On Mini Importation / How To Become A Virtualpaypalterminal Vendor. / Wrist Watches With Affordable Prices Rolex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.