Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,915 members, 7,817,685 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? (627 Views)

How Much Do Doctors Earn In Nigeria? / Chinese Doctors Have Started Working In Isolation Centres –Lai Mohammed / 100 Italian Doctors Have Died Of Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 28, 2018
I know most of you will have the same question in mind.

My lecturer Prof Ibrahim Shaibu, from the department of business administration UNIBEN who currently takes us Research Methodology said that Doctors do not have bad handwriting, that they just choose to write that way so they can prevent people from self medicating in future which might be harmful to their health

He went further to say that those doctors were students before and must have had classmates with good handwriting and how sensible is it to say that only the one's with bad handwriting passed and became doctors while the ones with good handwriting failed that's why doctors have bad handwriting. Except they are insinuating that the criteria for admitting medical students is based on their bad handwriting.

The class became rowdy in a way because most students in the class disagreed while some others were indifferent, but as for me what he said made a whole lot of sense but I still felt like making a research.

The main problem I'm having now is getting access to any doctor so I can ask why doctor's have bad handwriting. That's why I brought this up here so I can learn and others here can learn too

my question is

Is it because doctors want to discourage the patients from self medication that's why they write in a way that only pharmacists can understand

or is it because they have a lot of patients to attend to so they have to be fast which in turn makes their handwriting bad

or is it because they all have bad handwriting

please any doctor in the house?
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Ishilove: 8:17pm On Sep 28, 2018
The answer is self evident. I think it is even taught as a course- Bad Handwriting 101, or some _shit like that.
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 28, 2018
Ishilove:
The answer is self evident. I think it is even taught as a course- Bad Handwriting 101 or some _shit like that.
lol bad handwriting 101.. but don't you think if they had such handwriting they would've failed a lot of exams as such preventing them from being doctors. have u even seen any doctor with good handwriting lol
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Ishilove: 8:32pm On Sep 28, 2018
Edoloaded:
lol bad handwriting 101.. but don't you think if they had such handwriting they would've failed a lot of exams as such preventing them from being doctors. have u even seen any doctor with good handwriting lol
They only use that handwriting when writing down prescriptions. Haven't you ever wondered why it is only trained pharmacists understand doctors grifonnage?
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by donstan18: 8:47pm On Sep 28, 2018
cheesy
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 28, 2018
Ishilove:

They only use that handwriting when writing down prescriptions. Haven't you ever wondered why it is only trained pharmacists understand doctors grifonnage?
hmmm u have a point there.
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by geunik(m): 8:50pm On Sep 28, 2018
Writing prescription for many patients pit pressure on MD. The end result is bad writing only understood by pharmacist.
Now for those who think the writing is to discourage self medication, this explanation is flawed as world health organisation encourage patients to know the drugs they are given in order to participate actively in their own health care.
The main reason is that many patients go to outside community pharmacy shop to get the cost of drugs they are prescribe if they know it. Some start to argue with the hospital on the cost of their drugs. To prevent this, the medication is hidden from the patient until he gets to the pharmacist
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by opera1(m): 8:50pm On Sep 28, 2018
most of them don't know d correct spellings for some drugs. dat's d main reason.
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by thorpido(m): 8:51pm On Sep 28, 2018
Well what I can say for many doctors is that over time in medical school,you will discover you have a lot to write and you need to be fast too to catch up with lectures.
That inevitably takes a toll on your handwriting.Trying to 'code' prescriptions may be another reason but not like the first reason.
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Ishilove: 9:14pm On Sep 28, 2018
thorpido:
Well what I can say for many doctors is that over time in medical school,you will discover you have a lot to write and you need to be fast too to catch up with lectures.
That inevitably takes a toll on your handwriting.Trying to 'code' prescriptions may be another reason but not like the first reason.
Adonbelivit

Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Ishilove: 9:15pm On Sep 28, 2018
geunik:
Writing prescription for many patients pit pressure on MD. The end result is bad writing only understood by pharmacist.
Now for those who think the writing is to discourage self medication, this explanation is flawed as world health organisation encourage patients to know the drugs they are given in order to participate actively in their own health care.
The main reason is that many patients go to outside community pharmacy shop to get the cost of drugs they are prescribe if they know it. Some start to argue with the hospital on the cost of their drugs. To prevent this, the medication is hidden from the patient until he gets to the pharmacist
Interesting...
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by thorpido(m): 9:17pm On Sep 28, 2018
Ishilove:

Adonbelivit
Serious.
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Ishilove: 9:22pm On Sep 28, 2018
thorpido:
Serious.
Non-medical students like us also had loads of stuff to write down during lectures too, but ours never devolved to griffonage
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Sep 28, 2018
opera1:
most of them don't know d correct spellings for some drugs. dat's d main reason.
lol is this supposed to be a joke
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by thorpido(m): 9:42pm On Sep 28, 2018
Ishilove:

Non-medical students like us also had loads of stuff to write down during lectures too, but ours never devolved to griffonage
Interestingly,I had the best handwriting in my class in JSS.Over time,I know it just gradually turned into scribbles so much so that the banks question my signatures now.
Re: Why do Doctors Have Bad Handwriting? by hyfr(m): 10:20pm On Sep 28, 2018
My friend said, that’s what they’re thought to prevent people from self medicating .Which explains why it’s the pharmacists that understands their writing.

(1) (Reply)

Don’t Use Urine, Breast Milk To Treat ‘apollo,’ Doctors Warn / Activated Charcoal Powder Is Good For Your Health / Cure For Mouth Odour And Other Oral Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.