Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,043 members, 7,814,560 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

Best Java Textbook - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Best Java Textbook (6811 Views)

Where Can I Get "C# How To Program" Textbook / The Best Java Programming Textbooks / Best Java Book For Serious Learners/ Seekers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Java Textbook by Chimanet(m): 1:52am On Jul 09, 2010
pls i need ure advice on a java textbook that can turn a novice programmer into skillful programmer that can tackle real world problems within the shortest period of time.i have used "java how to program" but i cant still think like a programmer.
Also i will like to enter into java enterprise edition so i need a very good text on that with lots of examples.
Re: Best Java Textbook by X2X(m): 6:36pm On Jul 09, 2010
I am not sure there is a "best" textbook for Java.

While learning Java, I had the opportunity to read a lot of textbooks. Today, the one I first recommend to people trying to learn the ropes is Jacquie Barker's "Beginning Java Objects: From Concepts To Code". (see http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Java-Objects-Concepts-Second/dp/1590594576).

Very good book I have to say, not just teaching the language, but showing with clear examples how to apply the language features & OOconcepts to real problem solving.

Latest edition targets J2SE 5.0 tough.

Good luck
Re: Best Java Textbook by javalord: 9:17pm On Jul 09, 2010
Like @X-2-X said there is nothing like best java book.

first you really need to desire the language. if the desire is not there, even if you read all the java books in this world you will never understand.

I will recommend that you read "thinking in java"
Re: Best Java Textbook by javalord: 9:19pm On Jul 09, 2010
Like @X-2-X said there is nothing like best java book.

first you really need to desire the language. if the desire is not there, even if you read all the java books in this world you will never understand.

I will recommend that you read "thinking in java"
Re: Best Java Textbook by Bossman(m): 11:00am On Jul 13, 2010
Like others said there is no so called "best book". Each book has its own pros and cons. Most of us have several books today as professionals, and used several books as we continue to learn every day.

I have the book already mentioned " Beginning Java Objects", I used it when I wanted to get a little more about how objects communicate with each other etc. However, when I was learning, I used Beginning Java 2 by Ivor Horton. I think it's at JDK 5 version now. After you have used these 2 books to get a grasp of the basics, you can then take a look at Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel. It's freely available for download.

Good luck!
Re: Best Java Textbook by Chimanet(m): 1:28am On Jul 14, 2010
thanks for ure replies.
i have started to read "thinking in java ",the text makes a lot of sense expecially the way its explains the concept of oop designs.the text really teaches u the bolts and nut oe java,anyway sha am in chapter 7 polymorphism.do u guys know about HeadFirst java?.i heard there concept of teaching is very nice.
Re: Best Java Textbook by Bossman(m): 2:11am On Jul 14, 2010
Heas first Java is not bad. I have the electronic version and I have only looked at a couple of chapters in it. You can download it freely as well. I actually do like the heads first series. I have a few of their books, some in print and most in electronic format. Including HF Servlets & JSP, HF Ajax, HF Design Patterns, HF PMP, etc.

Chimanet:

do u guys know about HeadFirst java?.i heard there concept of teaching is very nice.

Re: Best Java Textbook by Chimanet(m): 4:23am On Jul 14, 2010
@bossman
thanks.Only two chapters was available from their site,i really like the visual kind of teaching they used.please do you have a link where i can download it all.cause buying the book from nijja is a problem,no paypal account!
Re: Best Java Textbook by Bossman(m): 9:34am On Jul 14, 2010
You want to hit rapid library to get these books. Only sample chapters are available at the book publication sites.

http://rapidlibrary.com/index.php?q=head+first+java

Chimanet:

@bossman
thanks.Only two chapters was available from their site,i really like the visual kind of teaching they used.please do you have a link where i can download it all.cause buying the book from nijja is a problem,no paypal account!
Re: Best Java Textbook by javalord: 10:01am On Jul 14, 2010
I think i have HeadFirst java but it's very heavy(about 15mb). Send your email address.
Re: Best Java Textbook by saperpsms: 6:06pm On Jul 14, 2010
Well, when I considered being a Java Programmer, the passion was great but I had no money for the NIITs of this world not even for the road side IT schools.

My good friend did the best for me. He let me pay him for his greatest Java Book. This book took me all the way from becoming a certified programmer SCJP to becoming a J2EE developer with production applications to show for it without any assistance from anyone.

Use your last money to buy - Java How To Program by Deitel & Deitel (5th Edition was the best I read last at that level) if you have any money to spend at all.

If you can have the commitment to follow this book, you will suprise many including yourself in few months time.

Cheers!
Re: Best Java Textbook by denzel2009: 6:23pm On Jul 14, 2010
^^^ I have heard good stories about that book, just downloaded the 7th edition,hope it's equally good!
Re: Best Java Textbook by Chimanet(m): 12:01am On Jul 15, 2010
@javalord
my email address is [email]alaebo123@yahoo.com[/email] please i will be very grateful if u can send it to me
am having problem downloading from the link
Re: Best Java Textbook by shokergb: 4:51pm On Jul 15, 2010
u don't need a particular text book for java,u can just go online and look at a couple of tutorials,moreover uve already used java how 2 program,my advise just develop confidence that's all.programming ain't a big deal.especially j2ee.
Re: Best Java Textbook by naijaswag1: 7:18pm On Jul 20, 2010
Chimanet:

@javalord
my email address is [email]alaebo123@yahoo.com[/email] please i will be very grateful if u can send it to me
am having problem downloading from the link

Thanks javalord i got the materials you sent me.
Re: Best Java Textbook by olaOLUWAbalogun(m): 9:21pm On Jul 28, 2010
thank God someone has mentioned it. I must tell you Deitel books are very good for beginners. that is what i'm using. you can get the 7th edition of Java how to program by Deitel. i'm sure u'll love it. i got my last week for 3k. best of luck
Re: Best Java Textbook by Nobody: 10:25pm On Aug 01, 2010
Re: Best Java Textbook by saperpsms: 1:43pm On Aug 06, 2010
@olaOLUWAbalogun

You got JAVA HOW TO PROGRAM by Deitel & Deitel for 3k??

Am sure it must be the Black and White version. I bought the Original full colour page 5th Edition for 5k many years ago.

Without those highlighted colored sections it will be very difficult to know what to focus on in the concepts they analyze which actually makes the difference at the end.

If yours is not coloured return it for the colored and see how easy Java can be.

I equally read some of the good books some guys are recommending - Head First, good book but focuses more on SCJP Certification which will make one a good programmer afterwards you have to move up to studying for developer.

- Thinking In Java, this book is for the techies and not for the one just coming in, They handled too many concepts at same time which may leave you completely lost before the end of each chapter.

Start with Deitel then consolidate with this other two. Deitel started with as little as What is a computer to defining programing and different programing languages from Fortran, Cobol, Sql, plsql, VB, c# etc comparing their strenghts and weaknesses.
Re: Best Java Textbook by naijalodge(m): 1:37am On Aug 08, 2010
@JAVALOrd this is my email henry_0309@yahoo.com plz i need the ebooks on java for beginners.
Re: Best Java Textbook by marcus1234: 9:21am On Aug 08, 2010
Re: Best Java Textbook by TofWiz: 9:43am On Aug 09, 2010
Java in '2' semesters.

This book turned me from a novice to understanding the principles of java smiley $0.02
Re: Best Java Textbook by Nmeri17: 12:45pm On Jul 31, 2016
Bump.
Re: Best Java Textbook by indupriya1: 6:01am On Nov 25, 2017
Hai very nice to read your post lots of useful information and also check links complete java.Very useful before going to written test or Interview

Core Java Technical Interview Questions
http://java2python.com/core-java-technical-interview-questions/

Core Java Tutorials

http://java2python.com/core-java-tutorials/

Core Java Interview Questions

http://java2python.com/core-java-interview-questions/

Online Practice Tests

http://java2python.com/online-practice-tests/

Core Java Technical Test ( MCQ Questions) | Core Java Written Test

http://java2python.com/core-java-technical-test-mcq-questions-core-java-written-test/

Core Java Online Test (MCQ’S) | Objective Type

http://java2python.com/core-java-online-test-mcqs-objective-type/

(1) (Reply)

What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? / Top 12 Highest Paying Computer Programming Languages You Should Learn / Information Technology Companies In Port-harcourt, Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.