Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,863 members, 7,813,947 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? (6823 Views)

Whats The Fate Of An Oracle Database Administrator In Nigeria / Database Administrator: Which Languages To Learn? / Becoming A Database Administrator. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by sesal: 4:07pm On Dec 27, 2005
Hi guys. i am new in tis house and would love to contribute . ave read a lots of posts here i mean great topics which i gained from.
i am trying to take a survey among the DBAs in the house.
Please DBAs i need your response.
Are you a nut-n-bolt dba or a props-n-tool dba?
Respnse needed.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by Seun(m): 6:21pm On Dec 27, 2005
I consider myself a MySQL Database Administrator, so I'd like to answer your question. Can you describe what you mean by "nut and bolt DBA" and "props and tool DBA"?
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by sesal: 4:02pm On Dec 29, 2005
thanks seun. i will explain what i mean.
The two terms are not good or bad groups but something people think about when talking to DBA

A nuts-n-bolts DBa is the type that likes to figure out every little item about how the database works.He/she is a DBA who typically hates a GUI environment and prefers the command line to execute command and accomplish task. A nuts-n-bolts DBA like to feel in control of the database and only feel comfortable at the command line.

A tools-n-props DBA is mostly the opposite of nuts-n-boltsDBA.They like the feel of a GUI.(hun!thats phpmyadmin,MySQL administrator e.t.c).the ease at which things can be accomplish without knowing much about the database.They want to get the job done with the least amount of intervention from having to figure out what everything is doing behind the scene.

Now that have explain these two terms i think you guys can now contribute. as for me most DBA i see choose to be tools-n-props DBA because of the reasons above.(including myself) that actually doesnt mean they cannot work at the command line but to get your job done quikly.with ease and also sometimes when u have more than a server to administer.most of choose to go the way GUI.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by Flint(m): 8:35am On Dec 30, 2005
Seems like u know your [stuff], Sesal. What platform do you use?
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by smartsoft(m): 3:55pm On Dec 30, 2005
I'm a SQL SERVER Database Adminstrator..
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by Seun(m): 10:07pm On Dec 30, 2005
I'm always on the MySQL command line, so I guess I'm a nuts and bolts DBA. That is, assuming the backend of a site like this is considered to be a real database.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by larryoncol(m): 6:32pm On Mar 26, 2007
well let me tell you guys something,

if your GUI fails you, then you cmd will not, (black box)

but as for me i prefer using the cmd, i don't see the gui as a means to make administration more easy i see it as making us more lazy, but there are some cases where you are recommended to use the gui, like when creating a database and executing pl/sql codes but i always love doing it the hard way, sorry guys maybe am just being stubborn.

but you must know that you gui will fail you someday, so be warned.

larry
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by segebee(m): 7:34pm On Mar 26, 2007
i am an oracle DBA and i prefer to use the cli especially when the gui is taking time
it is real time on oracle
i only use the gui when i don't know the command to use
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by uyai(f): 10:33pm On Mar 26, 2007
what in the name of GOD are u guys talking about??
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by Seun(m): 10:56pm On Mar 26, 2007
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by Everbright(f): 9:28am On Mar 27, 2007
@ Uyai help me ask them
I don't understand a thing
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by naijaguru(m): 3:26pm On Mar 27, 2007
I don't nderstand why you have to use the command line where there are GUI tools out there. Especially when using MySql databse running on a Php/Apache platform. Besides, most hosting providers wont give u a telnet access so how would u use CLI on ur DB.

I'd rather use PhpMyAdmin or run queries thru my Php Scripts. That doesnt mean, I am limited in my use of MySql in anyway.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by olawa20(m): 12:52pm On Mar 28, 2007
i'm just learning the ropes in dba, but i've found out that the cmd prompt can be fun. it gives u a feeling of being in control, but i'll just get the job done with a gui if i'm constrained for time.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by larryoncol(m): 1:27pm On Mar 30, 2007
GUI VS CMD

the fact is that you can even do more using the command prompt than using the GUI, you don't always have to type all your script when you need them,you could always make them down b4 using them and allyou need to do b4 execution is edit some things thats all. but oracle 10g still recommends us to use the em cdbconsole when creating a database but i guess am just being stubborn. but really its for you own goo to learn how touse the cmd.

larry
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by uspry1(f): 9:45pm On Apr 01, 2007
I am tool-n-prop DBA using MySQL database to access front-end PhpMyAdmin to code SQL queries creating new database connection, table and PHP script. It executes MySQL database result no problem.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by Maleeq(m): 7:37pm On Apr 22, 2007
I am a nuts-n-bolts Oracle DBA. With vast experience in PL/SQL programming, I cant help but say CLIs makes me feel in control. I solve a lot of tasks faster in command line.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by babasin(m): 8:35pm On Apr 22, 2007
@Maleeq,

I solve a lot of tasks faster in command line.

Thats true but if you have 37TB of data to maintain, what type of tasks you solve faster?

are you scripts not already on cron?
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by larryoncol(m): 1:45pm On Apr 23, 2007
@babsin

yeah there are situation where you will have to use your em in other to make this easier and faster, but it's still mandetory that you mater the CLI

larry
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by SLEEKCHIC2(f): 12:20pm On Apr 24, 2007
I'll call myself a nuts and bolt dba.

I love the cli but the gui can be fun grin grin grin . Its the easy way out and sometimes i can't help but take it wink. Cli's can be boring but they make me feel in control. I enjoy using them to remember my command syntax. What i can easily do with oem, i'll keep trying in the black box till i get it . It remains in my memory longer that way. But when it comes to listener config and tns naming, i go for the GUI( net config assistant). Its more exciting.

Talking of GUI's, i started using toad recently and boy, i don't think i want to see the black box in a while.

My mood determines what i use and i'll go for anyone that excites me at that time but i feel the cli is more flexible. Maybe its cos i learnt with it.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by larryoncol(m): 12:32pm On Apr 24, 2007
yeah i go for the gui, when configuring the listener and network features becasue the listener.ora,tnsname.ora and sqlnet.ora file could be very delicate, even a single unwanted period (.) or an unwanted parathesis could casue havoke, but as time goes on it better you learn how to edit the network files using a notepad, that even more interesting.

but i still find the CLI more interesting than the GUI.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by VaseemDBA: 1:29pm On Jun 23, 2007
If interviewer ask, Are you a nuts-n-bolts DBA or a tools-n-props DBA ?

{I would explain myself as a combination of the two.} I, having been in the business for over 6 years, have grown up in a command line era where the GUIs never seemed to work. There was high complexity in systems and not much good documentation on how things worked. Thus, I had to learn everything about most aspects of the database environment I was working in and thus became a nuts-n-bolts DBA. I was a true command line and vi bigot. Times have changed and the GUIs are very reliable, understand the environment they are installed on, and can generally get the job done quicker for individuals new to database administration. I too am slowly slipping over to the dark side of GUI administration. {If you find yourself as a tools-n-props DBA, try to convey that you are aware of some tasks that require you to be a nuts-n-bolts DBA.}
Hope this may help.
Thanks all and take care.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by Cactus(m): 7:43pm On Jun 23, 2007
this is all crap, a dba is a dba it just depends on the platform they work on, oracle, microsoft etc. all these crap about nuts and bolt etc its all big time BS.

As long as you get the task done. who cares how you achieve it. Well, in IT it is a common thing to give acronyms or different categories to things just to make it looks special or something crazy.

It doesnt matter, it is irrelevant. a true dba should also be able to navigate by writing codes or scripts in addition to using GUI tools

The truth is if all db systems only function using a command line interface, ah ah many people will be out of jobs. It just depends on personal preference as to how you want to go about doing things

It is so annoying just to see people trying to add efezi. No efezi can be added to a dba's job description.

A DBA IS A DBA ONLY PLATFORMS OF OPERATION DIFFER
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by Fdeveloper(m): 6:11pm On Jun 26, 2007
I'm not a DBA however if we assume that the prime objective of the DBA is to ensure the database is running at optimum performance at all times, then surely the critical factor is the speed with which you execute tasks and/or foresee problems and solve them to that extent whether you use a GUI to achieve that or not is purely academic.  Your employer will be happy if the database has high availability and doesn't really care whether or not you know all the system commands from memory as in the unlikely event that you don't know a command and the GUI you are using cannot help, there are a vast umber of resources on the internet where you can look it up.

Imagine for example that you have a large database and you want to monitor it's performance (i.e. Number of connections, CPU usage, Cache hits etc.), surely this type of data is easier to view as a series of graphs and/or bar charts in a GUI rather than rows and columns of figures in the CLI. I would argue that using a GUI in this instance will make you more efficient and less likely to make errors and in no way constitutes a softer option as it’s still your responsibility to set performance parameters correctly.

To give another example, surely it's easier to write/read Oracle PL/SQL in a GUI with colour coded syntax highlighting not to mention the ease of debugging where you can insert breaks, view the value of variables etc.  I would imagine that in most cases, stored procedures, triggers, views etc. can be developed much quicker and are less error prone using a GUI then the CLI because for example you don't have to remember the exact spelling of every table and column as you can just pick what you need from a list.

Having said that, there may well be circumstances where it's quicker and easier to use the CLI and there is of course no harm in knowing how to use it effectively however this does not in my view automatically give you more control over the database than a DBA who is more reliant on GUIs.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by larryoncol(m): 11:29am On Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, definately. administering a database is the major role of a dba, GUI or CLI who cares. but there are ksituations where by you have to use your CLI, e.g you want to implement a complex resource plan, or a special of backup. we all know that the GUI is not the guy for this, but for daily managment and administration it's advisable to use your GUI it makes management more precise, faster and easy.

the fact is that even as a DBA you get to learn alot of this as you administer a database. oracle is wide.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by larryoncol(m): 11:43am On Jun 27, 2007
By the way for those of you who are intersted in running oracle on other operating systems i have some unix OS that you can install. ubuntu, fedora core

these are the links for ubuntu downloads it's going to take time depending on the speed of your connection, for 100mbps it can take about 2 to 3 hours and make sure you use a download manger incase the link flaps.

Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. It is developed by a large community and we invite you to participate too!

The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Philosophy: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.

These freedoms make Ubuntu fundamentally different from traditional proprietary software: not only are the tools you need available free of charge, you have the right to modify your software until it works the way you want it to.

The team behind Ubuntu makes the following public commitment to its users:

Ubuntu will always be free of charge, and there is no extra fee for the "enterprise edition", we make our very best work available to everyone on the same Free terms.

Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from hundreds of companies around the world. Ubuntu is released regularly and predictably; a new release is made every six months. Each release is supported with free security updates and fixes for at least 18 months.

Ubuntu will include the very best in translations and accessibility infrastructure that the Free Software community has to offer, to make Ubuntu usable by as many people as possible. We collaborate as widely as possible on bug fixing and code sharing.

Ubuntu is entirely committed to the principles of free software development; we encourage people to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.

Ubuntu is suitable for both desktop and server use. The current Ubuntu release supports PC (Intel x86), 64-bit PC (AMD64) and PowerPC (Apple iBook and Powerbook, G4 and G5) architectures.

Ubuntu includes more than 16,000 pieces of software, but the core desktop installation fits on a single CD. Ubuntu covers every standard desktop application from word processing and spreadsheet applications to internet access applications, web server software, email software, programming languages and tools and of course several games.

info:
http://www.ubuntu.com/

640MB

------------Install CD---------------

PC (Intel x86) install CD
http://releases.ubuntu.com/5.10/ubuntu-5.10-install-i386.iso

Mac (PowerPC) install CD
http://releases.ubuntu.com/5.10/ubuntu-5.1, all-powerpc.iso

64-bit PC (AMD64) install CD
http://releases.ubuntu.com/5.10/ubuntu-5.1, stall-amd64.iso

-----------Live CD-------------------

PC (Intel x86) live CD
http://releases.ubuntu.com/5.10/ubuntu-5.10-live-i386.iso

Mac (PowerPC) live CD
http://releases.ubuntu.com/5.10/ubuntu-5.10-live-powerpc.iso

64-bit PC (AMD64) live CD
http://releases.ubuntu.com/5.10/ubuntu-5.10-live-amd64.iso
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by larryoncol(m): 11:46am On Jun 27, 2007
this is the link to download fedora core 6,you also have to get a FTp client in other to download.

ftp://ftp.is.co.za/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/iso/FC-6-i386-DVD.iso
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by larryoncol(m): 11:49am On Jun 27, 2007
am sure you guys wondering what office 2007 is like, for those of you who ain't seen it here, well thats gona be a thing of the past because you can download it from this link. and this is the blue edition

There's quite a big chance that you've never heard of this 'Blue Edition', because - as the NFO says - it is only available to equipment manufacturers and not to the general public. This is the copy from the original disk, which is (as said before) only accessible to technicians of Microsoft. This version of Microsoft Office 2007 will never appear for sale, since this is the only version where there is no need for a serial. This version also doesn't need an activation. The installer is very simple, undetailed and handy. The interface of application is completely changed, it is modernized and practically reminds in no way to the previous versions.In a few minutes the software will be installed on your computer, without any questions or other things that slow down the installation.

Office Enterprise 2007 is the most complete Microsoft toolset provided for people who must collaborate with others and work with information efficiently, regardless of location or network status. Office Enterprise 2007 builds on the strengths of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007, adding Microsoft Office Groove 2007 and Microsoft Office OneNote 2007, enabling people to collaborate and create, manage, and use information more efficiently.

This collection includes:

* Access 2007
* Excel 2007
* Groove 2007
* InfoPath 2007
* OneNote 2007
* Outlook 2007
* PowerPoint 2007
* Publisher 2007
* Word 2007

All programs can be installed on Windows XP and Vista.

Release Name: Microsoft.Office.2007.Enterprise.Blue.Edition-DiGiTAL
Size: 563MB

[hide_me]
http://rapidshare.com/files/36887336/MS_OF, tilan.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/36900288/MS_OF, tilan.part2.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/37110582/MS_OF, tilan.part3.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/37125305/MS_OF, tilan.part4.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/37148280/MS_OF, tilan.part5.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/37264717/MS_OF, tilan.part6.rar
[/hide_me]
RAR Password = pastilan
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by Cactus(m): 4:26pm On Jun 27, 2007
larryoncol:

am sure you guys wondering what office 2007 is like, for those of you who ain't seen it here, well thats gona be a thing of the past because you can download it from this link. and this is the blue edition

There's quite a big chance that you've never heard of this 'Blue Edition', because - as the NFO says - it is only available to equipment manufacturers and not to the general public. This is the copy from the original disk, which is (as said before) only accessible to technicians of Microsoft. This version of Microsoft Office 2007 will never appear for sale, since this is the only version where there is no need for a serial. This version also doesn't need an activation. The installer is very simple, undetailed and handy. The interface of application is completely changed, it is modernized and practically reminds in no way to the previous versions.In a few minutes the software will be installed on your computer, without any questions or other things that slow down the installation.

Office Enterprise 2007 is the most complete Microsoft toolset provided for people who must collaborate with others and work with information efficiently, regardless of location or network status. Office Enterprise 2007 builds on the strengths of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007, adding Microsoft Office Groove 2007 and Microsoft Office OneNote 2007, enabling people to collaborate and create, manage, and use information more efficiently.

This collection includes:

* Access 2007
* Excel 2007
* Groove 2007
* InfoPath 2007
* OneNote 2007
* Outlook 2007
* PowerPoint 2007
* Publisher 2007
* Word 2007

All programs can be installed on Windows XP and Vista.

Release Name: Microsoft.Office.2007.Enterprise.Blue.Edition-DiGiTAL
Size: 563MB

[hide_me]
http://rapidshare.com/files/36887336/MS_OF, tilan.part1.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/36900288/MS_OF, tilan.part2.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/37110582/MS_OF, tilan.part3.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/37125305/MS_OF, tilan.part4.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/37148280/MS_OF, tilan.part5.rar
http://rapidshare.com/files/37264717/MS_OF, tilan.part6.rar
[/hide_me]
RAR Password = pastilan

@ larryoncol why would you copy someone else blogpost and post it as yours this is not cool men. Give credit to whom credit is due.

I am not sure if this is the original post but a copy of this same post made by larryoncol can be seen here with deleted paragraphs

http://cahock./2007/05/23/microsoft-office-2007-enterprise-blue-edition/

I spit on people who plagiarize. WHAT A SHAME
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by larryoncol(m): 11:17am On Jun 28, 2007
@catus

mine or their or yours doesn't really matter, it's information and it'smeant to be passed on ok, beside i got it from a friend who uploaded them so pls if you don't need it then i think there are others who might.so stop stressing ok and live you life lol.
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by Cactus(m): 2:43am On Jun 30, 2007
not yours, never yours, never will be yours nor your friend's it is their. this is all about netiquette. go figure
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by larryoncol(m): 11:58am On Jun 30, 2007
what ever man mine, theirs, yours, hers, his, HANG YOURSELF IF IT DISTURBDS YOU SO MUCH,
Re: What Kind Of DBA (Database Administrator) Are You? by Cactus(m): 5:15pm On Jun 30, 2007
how would you feel if someone uses your work without your permission or including any information that you are the person that did it be it name email or web address.

Well give me some of your work and let me distribute it as mine with my name, email

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 12 Highest Paying Computer Programming Languages You Should Learn / Information Technology Companies In Port-harcourt, Rivers State / Programming Tutorials (100% Free)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.