Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,009 members, 7,825,149 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

Military Checkpoints on Nigeria roads: Share Your Experience. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Military Checkpoints on Nigeria roads: Share Your Experience. (543 Views)

Soldiers In South-East Force Travellers To Alight From Vehicles At Checkpoints / No Authorized Checkpoints On Kaduna-abuja, Zaria Highways – Kaduna Government / 16 Tips For Safe And Cordial Relationship At Checkpoints – Nigeria Police Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Military Checkpoints on Nigeria roads: Share Your Experience. by MVLOX(m): 8:32am On Sep 29, 2018
As strange as it may seem the situation of things in Nigeria now encourages everyone to have more than one source of income, like we have it in developed countries. As such, one of my part time jobs involves me been the Business Manager/Delivery Agent for a company based in Lagos down here in Delta state. Well I guess that is a different story for another day. In the course of carrying my duties as a delivery agent, I couldn’t help but notice the Ugly sight of passengers stranded in hot cars, looking dazed and frustrated simply because of Military checkpoints within and other side cities and towns of various states in Nigeria. I will concentrate on Delta State and of course everyone is free to share their stories from their various states, cities and towns in Nigeria.

Many persons will tell you that these checkpoints are there to protect lives and properties. On a closer observation one will come to find out that these checkpoints have been turned into business centers for both mobile traders who I must admit are really physically fit(these guys can practically chase a car with v8 engine). These traders are clearly assisted by the logs of wood kept on the road which of course is meant to serve the purpose of speed breakers or better still traffic go slow devices. And yes the soldier have their own customers (Trailer and Tanker Drivers) who they attend to religiously.

Lets now talk about some of the effects of these check points.

1.The Road: Most persons would have thought I would talk about the stress passengers pass through first but no I have chosen to talk about the road which most people wouldn't notice. Next time you are held up in traffic at a Military check point please do well to take a look at the condition of the road. You will do well to find out that its either developing folds and already having pot holes at intervals just along the area covered by the checkpoint. This folds and pot holes are caused by the constant pressure and weight that has to go over that portion of the road regularly. In other words since the drums at the check point restricts vehicles of all kinds to go over the same part of the road from day to day, week in week out, month after month, it trends to go bad in no time even if the best materials were used in building the road. And of course this is Nigeria so there is this slim possibility that the materials used in building the road are substandard. As such the road has been substandard from the get go. So how does a substandard road carry the standard weight and pressure applied on it regularly as a result of military checkpoints mounted on them? When these portions of the road are finally rehabilitated, it goes bad again in time because the cycle continues as long as the these check points remain constant.

2.The Human factor: It is a known fact that Nigerians suffer more from this check point menace. A journey that shouldn't have taken so much time lasts for almost twice the normal time due to checkpoints coupled with the bad roads. Lets also not forget that traders and drivers that ply these roads use the cover of the collection usually perpetuated at this checkpoints to price there goods and services. As such its the everyday passenger that bears most of the burden of these checkpoints.

Please add your views and opinion. What are your experiences at Military Checkpoints around Nigeria?

Please take note that article was note written to discredit the good job of the military in Nigeria, rather it focuses on areas with little or no tension. Military checkpoints are regular features in most part of the world. I would really appreciate if we can come up with suggestions that will look at ways of positioning these check points better.

(1) (Reply)

Who Wants To Courier Documents To Wes ... ..please Come In / Racist White Shows His Stupidity On A German Tram / Why Is My Friend's Spanish Visa Delaying?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.