Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:41 AM

Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! (57197 Views)

Is Relocation Abroad The New Success? / Relocation Abroad: Staying In Nigeria To Build Wealth VS Security Abroad / Family Relocation Suggestions And Directions Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Originalsly: 12:49pm On Oct 03, 2018
Babyvet:

Please shut up, yes there is. There some very neighborhoods in America

Maybe in other parts of America...but not NY as far as I know. Which neighbourhood is that?.....there are neighbourhoods that make you feel like you're in certain countries.....e.g Washington Heights where you can easily believe you're in the Dominican Republic....Spanish is the language spoken in that area...go in a store...more likely they will have to go get the English speaker to attend to you! There are little pockets of Africans ...Africans ....in various parts of the city....but no community where you may question if you are in Nigeria period. If you just come to NY and want to feel at home...if you're Russian...go to Sheephead Bay, Brooklyn. .....from China...go to China Town....if you're West Indian...go to Flatbush ...if you're Mexican..oh well...they are everywhere!...but if you're Nigerian...there's no neighbourhood where you can spit pidgin 24/7.

Hasidic 'Jew' from Israel? ......Crown Heights

1 Share

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Originalsly: 1:06pm On Oct 03, 2018
Babyvet:

Please some spreading lies and face Nigeria. Those who need not heed to my advice would be the same ones asking for help with job and shelter when they come here and get stuck.

Hmmmm......I thought it was only me some ask for help when stuck. The bad thing...these people do not share their experiences here in the forum....they go silent.

3 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by WetinConsignMe: 1:48pm On Oct 03, 2018
stagger:

"These jobs are only meant for our people".

"if you allow these people, they will take over this place from us"

"Rivers money for Rivers people".

"I only take tenants that speak my language."

"Bastard nyamiri corporal" (heard this in a military barracks)

How do these statements which I have heard over the years differ from the examples you just mentioned?

Seems we are making the same point. In Nigeria people can put those statements in action (be overt with them) while in countries like US the law prevents them from doing so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by TEYA: 6:02pm On Oct 03, 2018
majekdom2:
I will come harsh before you see what you like. If you want to be like Dangote, you have to be in Nigeria. Did Dangote emigrate? How many billionaires in Nigeria emigrated? Likes of Oviosu of paga had to relocate back to Nigeria. It’s not easy for a Nigeria to become a Dangote in the US. You can live average like your wife envisage, I mean you can live well. There is nothing wrong with emigration but what is your motivation. In assessing your motivation check your background. It is not strange that likes of Elon Musk and many successful founders are emigrants but if you check well, they emigrated at a very early age- childhood to teenage and are from saner climes. The rich Nigerians abroad have a good pedigree. I mean they went to the ivy leageues or had successful parents. If you are emigrating as a family man, you must have a very brilliant idea, some good money and a strong network to become Dangote abroad. It’s not easy starting a business as a foreigner. I have been there so my words are from experience. If your ambition is to be Dangote, you should stay back. If your ambition is to be okay with thousands of dollars, abroad is good for you.
I like your comment man! I would love to make that comment myself but having to reply the many nairalanders that will attack it is a hurdle I am not willing to cross. Ever since I came back to Naija from Europe, no one has been able to convince me that making money abroad is easier than making money in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by TEYA: 6:08pm On Oct 03, 2018
Originalsly:

Hmmmm......I thought it was only me some ask for help when stuck. The bad thing...these people do not share their experiences here in the forum....they go silent.
And I am angry with them. They will be suffering and be telling lies about how America is the only place to be. But forget, Nigerians are stubborn, even if you warn them from USA of hardship they will still accuse you of trying to discourage them from enjoying what you are enjoying.

3 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 03, 2018
TEYA:

And I am angry with them. They will be suffering and be telling lies about how America is the only place to be. But forget, Nigerians are stubborn, even if you warn them from USA of hardship they will still accuse you of trying to discourage them from enjoying what you are enjoying.
cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 7:36pm On Oct 03, 2018
stagger:

It would help if you can indicate exactly what you want to do for money once abroa
d. It will have relevance on what kind of visa you will have to go for and the pathway you will pundertake.

Quite frankly, I can't say for now what I will do but I can tell you with some assurance that I will first look for a reasonable job that will support whatever I am able to save and transfer to that country. The whole idea os to study the economy, the people and the business environment and the regulations while trying to determine exactly what value I can provide for Canadians.

I really would prefer a straight forward legal process that gets me a PR even before I leave Nigeria but I have to research what options are available.

I hope this gives you some form of ckaritybas regards my situation and circumstances.
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 7:37pm On Oct 03, 2018
franchasng:
If truly u aspire to be as rich as Dangote or somewhere close someday then don't travel out.

Let your wife and kids go while u stay back here to crack the nuts and break even in a bigger way that u dream.

You can hardly become rich as immigrant in any country, very difficult and rare.

My opinion.

Wish u well in whatever decision u finally take.

Note: if u are still struggling financially as a young person and want to be sure that u don't end up poor, then u can travel out of Nigeria to guarantee u an average life or middle-class life but if u are doing averagely ok financially in Nigeria but u want to be rich, then stay in Nigeria and crack it until u discover a product or services that sell fast and wild then u will become rich with time.

Only very lucky and exceptionally talented people who venture into health related or ICT related field have a slight possibility of becoming rich abroad as immigrant.

Many thanks for your sincerity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ASPIREX: 7:53pm On Oct 03, 2018
majekdom2:
is it that you didn’t network with Nigerians in the countries you visited? If you are able to get an international job, fine. But at your age, you cannot become Dangote by going abroad and just want to go and hustle. Are you just a Bachelor degree holder? I would think you should enroll for further studies seriously.

Thanks for your candid suggestion.

In all my trips abroad I network extensively with Nigerians but I never considered relocation at that time. I am thinking about it now and thats why I came on the travel section seeking 'your' advice. And I getting a lot and trying to filter through it objectively. And please ite that I am reading all the posts and jotting notes as I take this project seriously.

I could consider an International job......a good one that would give me fulfillment.

As regards further studies that could improve my chances at the labour market I am not taking that path. I am more interested s out of the question in doing a business of my own with he attendant challenges and consequent fulfillment as reward. I will eventually take on a Masters degree (and maybe a phd) but this will be only for the acquisitionof learning in an area of interest and not for career enhancement.
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 03, 2018
ASPIREX:

In all my trips abroad I network extensively with Nigerians but I never considered relocation at that time. I am thinking about it now and thats why I came on the travel section seeking 'your' advice. And I getting a lot and trying to filter through it objectively. And please ite that I am reading all the posts and jotting notes as I take this project seriously.

I could consider an International job......a good one that would give me fulfillment.

As regards further studies that could improve my chances at the labour market I am not taking that path. I am more interested s out of the question in doing a business of my own with he attendant challenges and consequent fulfillment as reward. I will eventually take on a Masters degree (and maybe a phd) but this will be only for the acquisitionof learning in an area of interest and not for career enhancement.

there is no career enhancement without learning. Whilst academic qualification does not equal great learning in some situations, they are very important. For instance there are jobs that are exclusively for masters holders, some for PhD. If you do not have MBA or professsional certifications in some cases, one is not considered. You should know all this. If you are all about business Nigeria remains your best and only option considering your background and the resource you got. 10 million is about 32,000 dollars. This might not even be enough for you to settle down as a family man talk more starting an enterprise abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by lordally(m): 9:35pm On Oct 03, 2018
wickyyolo:

The problem is that when you call Europe what people think about is UK which is a very hostile environment.

Also most people when they go to a white man country they look for white collar jobs which are very limited to immigrants. When you can do your trade within legal limits and make your Money.

like what kind of skilled trades can an immigrant do
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Nobody: 12:09am On Oct 04, 2018
ASPIREX:

If you can raise that huge cash, go into eccomerce
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by browncool(m): 12:27am On Oct 04, 2018
Babyvet:

Working in the healthcare sector doing what?
I work in a group home assisting clients with developmental disabilities. Please note that these clients are able people and do not have physical disabilities which are two separate things
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by rinzaugustine: 6:28am On Oct 04, 2018
My friend once told me jokingly that American movies should also show where people are working in America instead of only glamour.OP if you are actually thinking you are coming here to become rich and even like dangote,then you are a comedian.You work so hard in western world to be able to pay for your living unlike what we have back home.Everything is very expensive,you start life with a demeaning menial job because your degree is not accepted and nobody will give you a dollar.If you borrow student loan to read nursing you will end up not being able to complete the interest alone in the next 20 years.Within a a few years that bubbly,gangly and excited nigerian man in you will die and you will become a carcass of your old self.Nobody wants to listen to your life misery here like in Nigeria...Don't mess up the good opportunity life gave you for the uncertainty of the western world because the grass always looks greener on the other side...which is not the reality

11 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Rooneyboy(m): 7:43am On Oct 04, 2018
EVILFOREST:

Dem Many naaaa
Just enter CHURCHES on Sunday naa
Go to St. Eugene at Imperial Highway, LA, Carlifornia.
Dem many there, even TEXAS.
Catholic Church to be precise.
I am an Anglican but wedded her in the catholic. She agreed to follow me to any church even if na shrine.
Send me a MAIL, containing
What you do..??
Where you hail from...?
Just be honest, because any LIE means “osondu” ooo and no forgiveness.
I like this, very impressive.
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Ugosample(m): 7:56am On Oct 04, 2018
rinzaugustine:
My friend once told me jokingly that American movies should also show where people are working in America instead of only glamour.OP if you are actually thinking you are coming here to become rich and even like dangote,then you are a comedian.You work so hard in western world to be able to pay for your living unlike what we have back home.Everything is very expensive,you start life with a demeaning menial job because your degree is not accepted and nobody will give you a dollar.If you borrow student loan to read nursing you will end up not being able to complete the interest alone in the next 20 years.Within a a few years that bubbly,gangly and excited nigerian man in you will die and you will become a carcass of your old self.Nobody wants to listen to your life misery here like in Nigeria...Don't mess up the good opportunity life gave you for the uncertainty of the western world because the grass always looks greener on the other side...which is not the reality

I have a question for you tho....

Do you live in a western country?

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Ugosample(m): 8:03am On Oct 04, 2018
ASPIREX:
If I am to relocate where would you advise I relocate to?

The money to relocate shoukd not be a problem provided it is within reasonable bounds. I can raise between 7 - 10 Million (and more) if given 24 months.

your best bet is Canada via express entry sir

that is if you can raise that 7-10m o

Somethings are worth more than money, and your children going to school in a western country gives them a headstart that most Nigerian kids can only dream of. some pseudo patriots here might disagree, but my brother, that is the truth

Think of the future of your kids....

Does Nigeria look Like a country that is going anywhere?

it's just my opinion any ways, but the choice is yours.

check out the express entry thread
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Ugosample(m): 8:04am On Oct 04, 2018
Laird:
I feel Your kids should go and use the study route or else your wife relocates with them

Canada has only odd jobs for immigrant adults except You go back to canadian University as an adult to spend years and big money to study health care or I.T courses to increase (not guarantee) your chances of getting a middle class job in Canada.

So you make the money here in Naija while your family takes the opportunity there ( abroad). My opinion

I don't see anything wrong in starting with odd jobs tho to build yourself and find your feet tho

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Ugosample(m): 8:25am On Oct 04, 2018
Curry30:

Honest answer. Relocate with your entire family.
Nigeria is a terrible place to raise kids with the deteriorating moral and socio-economic conditions.

Countries you should look into:

1. Sweden - low crime, good healthcare
2. Netherlands - Multi cultural society
3. Canada - all the good reasons
4. Switzerland - low crime, thriving economy, multicultural society

Pls consult your wife. Nigeria is a NO-NO!

you have a point there

"a terrible place to raise kids"
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Ugosample(m): 9:01am On Oct 04, 2018
Validated:
Do not come to Canada. Remain in Naija ... you have to salvage it

Like you are salvaging it na tongue

a country led by Buhari is what you want to salvage? ?? grin

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Ugosample(m): 9:10am On Oct 04, 2018
GboyegaD:

Oga, I have lived in Canada over 5years and can tell from 1st hand experience. Let me tell you one thing today which I am sure we all relate with. Many people abroad tell you how hard it is over here and are never willing to go back home. Have you ever wondered if it is that hard truly? If you read through my other comment on his post, you will see where I wrote that even those who graduated from school here pick survivor jobs for survival pending when they get what they want. There are many immigrants who just came and landed good jobs. You might take your time to read the thread on living in Canada as a landed immigrant for better exposure. In essence, going to school here does not translate to better opportunities in all case. As for French, if you are not migrating to Quebec, there is no need to bother.
One last thing though, many of us carry our entitlement mentality from back home here as such, when things seem not to be going our way, we start painting the society bad. Please, do not tell people they are wrong as you can only tell from your perspective.
N.B: Canada isn't there yet compared to the US in terms of equality and job prospects however, we should remember that US is much larger and more of a capitalist system thus, they have less protectionist perspectives.

exactly

The entitlements mentality

when Nigerians realise that the world owes them NOTHING for getting theur degrees/whatever they think is fuelling their ego, life becomes easier for them

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Ugosample(m): 9:16am On Oct 04, 2018
majekdom2:
Ghana is visa free to SA now but they shut their embassy to Nigerians some weeks ago. The young, middle and old all want to travel out in search of greener pastures. Phewwwww! What a nation!

skilled Labour is fleeing Nigeria in their dtoves

The unskilled are crossing the Sahara in their dtoves

That should tell you that some thing is seriously wrong somewhere in the $hithole..
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by stagger: 10:19am On Oct 04, 2018
ASPIREX:

Many countries that will provide an investor visa for you to do business will require hundreds of thousands of dollars. Besides let me even ask: what kind of visa are you even looking for to leave Nigeria? Have you looked at the various visa categories for the countries of your choice and known the documentation required?
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by ibrahimovic303: 12:33pm On Oct 04, 2018
Very hard decision to make...Migration has actually broken more homes than we think, anyways if you are willing to do low jobs for a while and lead a peaceful life with your family, I subscribe you come to join us here in Finland. You can start low and build yourself within a short time, as far as you are hardworking. I know of a Kenyan couple here who have five cleaning jobs between them and have a palace of a home back in Kenya, they are still here to grab the last Euros before settling back home....Life is what you make of it Sir.

2 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by bettyLad(f): 1:34pm On Oct 04, 2018
ibrahimovic303:
Very hard decision to make...Migration has actually broken more homes than we think, anyways if you are willing to do low jobs for a while and lead a peaceful life with your family, I subscribe you come to join us here in Finland. You can start low and build yourself within a short time, as far as you are hardworking. I know of a Kenyan couple here who have five cleaning jobs between them and have a palace of a home back in Kenya, they are still here to grab the last Euros before settling back home....Life is what you make of it Sir.
how did you migrate with your family to finland or rather how did you get your Finland visa. please share more information on this? you mean the only jobs migrants do over there is cleaning jobs?
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Laird(m): 4:53pm On Oct 04, 2018
Funnicator:

Hello?! What of when I run my MSc Postgraduate in a relatively cheap Canadian pharmacy school.

Will I have satisfied the Canadian experience demand and have my chances of good employment in my career boosted?

Pharmacy undergraduate degree is from Nigeria.

Please ask people in the pharmacy field in the Canadian immigrant thread . I am not so knowledgeable about the pharmacy prospects
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by drakeli: 5:08pm On Oct 04, 2018
majekdom2:
I will come harsh before you see what you like. If you want to be like Dangote, you have to be in Nigeria. Did Dangote emigrate? How many billionaires in Nigeria emigrated? Likes of Oviosu of paga had to relocate back to Nigeria. It’s not easy for a Nigeria to become a Dangote in the US. You can live average like your wife envisage, I mean you can live well. There is nothing wrong with emigration but what is your motivation. In assessing your motivation check your background. It is not strange that likes of Elon Musk and many successful founders are emigrants but if you check well, they emigrated at a very early age- childhood to teenage and are from saner climes. The rich Nigerians abroad have a good pedigree. I mean they went to the ivy leageues or had successful parents. If you are emigrating as a family man, you must have a very brilliant idea, some good money and a strong network to become Dangote abroad. It’s not easy starting a business as a foreigner. I have been there so my words are from experience. If your ambition is to be Dangote, you should stay back. If your ambition is to be okay with thousands of dollars, abroad is good for you.
Lol...you guys are always quick at using Dangote as a case study with some other Nigerian millionaires that got themselves enriched and build the wealth they have today through corrupt means as the foundation.

Do you know how Dangote became Dangote today? Why don’t you go and research how the opportunity meant for every Nigerian was given to Dangote alone by the military head of states that were his aboki brothers. All of you go dey holla Dangote like every Nigerian has a support of corruption he leveraged on to build his business thanks to the past military presidents from the north.

Not every Nigerian has that kind of leverage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by rinzaugustine: 6:09pm On Oct 04, 2018
Ugosample:

I have a question for you tho....

Do you live in a western country?
North Carolina.Go on with your question please

2 Likes

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 04, 2018
drakeli:
Lol...you guys are always quick at using Dangote as a case study with some other Nigerian millionaires that got themselves enriched and build the wealth they have today through corrupt means as the foundation.

Do you know how Dangote became Dangote today? Why don’t you go and research how the opportunity meant for every Nigerian was given to Dangote alone by the military head of states that were his aboki brothers. All of you go dey holla Dangote like every Nigerian has a support of corruption he leveraged on to build his business thanks to the past military presidents from the north.

Not every Nigerian has that kind of leverage.
The OP used Dangote, I only followed what he said.
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Ugosample(m): 6:25pm On Oct 04, 2018
rinzaugustine:
North Carolina.Go on with your question please

you have answered the question already

1 Like

Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by rinzaugustine: 6:39pm On Oct 04, 2018
Ugosample:

you have answered the question already
Okay my brother.Remain blessed
Re: Family Relocation Abroad! Mature Advice /input Requested! by Ugosample(m): 6:42pm On Oct 04, 2018
rinzaugustine:
Okay my brother.Remain blessed

same to you too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Handworks To Learn In Nigeria Before You Japa / Have You Heard About The Alien Stone Found In Sierra Leone, West Africa? / Lady Travels Accross Seven States Within Seven Days With A Bike. (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.