Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,275 members, 7,818,934 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities (33571 Views)

ASUU Rejects Curriculum Designed By NUC / ASUU Rejects 35% Salary Increase For Professors; Wants 100% / ASUU Rejects Proposed Hiking Of University Fees to about N500,000k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by theoldpretender(m): 8:06am On Sep 30, 2018
I'm afraid but the government is right.

Here are some cold hard facts.

1.As at 2009, we need 3trillion naira to fund education in universities.

2.As at 2013,the previous government told ASUU that 3trillion was not possible.

3.Our budget for this year is 8trillion.

4.We need to either find a magic way to earn more money, or we pay high fees.

5.Nigeria spends 600000 per student per year in a govt university (2013).

6.APC has failed, but the cold reality is that either we increase fees, or we take loans or we spend half our budget on just the universities.

Sorry, but fact is fact.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by maasoap(m): 8:07am On Sep 30, 2018
inoki247:
500k ko. when my kid finish secondary school I will take him or her to Learn a skill acquisition like Tailor, Mechanic, Barber etc. and be giving him or her 500k every year for 4 years with that my kid will be having a 5star workshop instead of wasting my money on the school dat my kid will finish and can't invent ordinary toothpick or Pencil

Your idea is a good one and it's just like what most people here used to say but education is important and it's not that simple to play down. Though, I know that the negotiator was just joking at the worst.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by weyreypey: 8:07am On Sep 30, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

I'm...

Be grateful.
Nonsense is it your english that am speaking or typing?
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Wizaustin54(m): 8:07am On Sep 30, 2018
this really bulshit....
not even increment to 50k, 60k ,or even 70k...... Rubbish APC govt

what the excess of calling it public school if am paying 500k as tuition fees...that to say the poor masses has nothing to do with sending their children to school if eventually it is increased...

Oh Buhari which way??
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by theoldpretender(m): 8:08am On Sep 30, 2018
Bagu1:
I Stand with ASUU

when public institutions begin to pay such a higher tuition fees, a lot of people may not go to school there after.

now what is the role of Education Bank...?

to grant loan to student, I guess... this is rubbish, not everyone will have equal opportunity of having access to such loan, and moreover after securing the loan who will manage (the custodian of the fund) if it is the students, a lot of people will drop out of school and start business for a living afterall, who Education epp in naija...

I Stand with ASUU...

The Federal Government should stand up to their responsibility

Good, so govt should spend 3trillion out if a budget of 8trillion just to keep fees low?

Okay
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by GrammarNazi1(m): 8:08am On Sep 30, 2018
weyreypey:

Nonsense is it your english that am speaking or typing?
...English...I'm...

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by weyreypey: 8:09am On Sep 30, 2018
maasoap:

Your idea is a good one and it's just like what most people here used to say but education is important and it's not that simple to play down. Though, I know that the negotiator was just joking at the worst.

You won't know what education is if it states you in da face. First education in Nigeria is to collect PVC and hang it somewhere.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by weyreypey: 8:09am On Sep 30, 2018
GrammarNazi1:

...English...
engrish

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by inoki247: 8:10am On Sep 30, 2018
maasoap:

with O.Level my kid can contest for any sit in politics so what else do they nid... ND if is traveling out with skill dey av acquired dey can Excel.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by theoldpretender(m): 8:11am On Sep 30, 2018
Wizaustin54:
this really bulshit....
not even increment to 50k, 60k ,or even 70k...... Rubbish APC govt

what the excess of calling it public school if am paying 500k as tuition fees...that to say the poor masses has nothing to do with sending their children to school if eventually it is increased...

Oh Buhari which way??

OK, let us keep on taking loans from IMF or we spend half our budget on just university just to keep fees low.

Has nothing to do with politics. If another party takes over, the same funding problem exists
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by undigeh: 8:11am On Sep 30, 2018
Buhari, like suicide bomber, want to kill everybody around him with hardship before himself die.
All agents of death and hardship supporting and working with him.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by bigfather(m): 8:12am On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:

Since most of us spend even more than this to study abroad, why can't we do it here and lift the face this our dead educational system.

Anyway govt can review it down for 250k for arts and 350k for sciences.

Abeg what's d Percentage of those going abroad to study compared to those that go to State and Federal Universities ? Besides that is why we have private universities that charges higher.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by chidaddy1198(m): 8:13am On Sep 30, 2018
I'm yet to see any economic sense in this proposition by government. I understand government recurrent expenditures is on the high side. But I stake my knowledge that education is the least funded in our budget. To caution the fears of government I suggest they should first reduce their allowances not salary by 60% by that we will be saving over 300billion in naira
Such if added to the educational budget will make a great impact.
The poor has paid enough prices in this country. ASUU should please condemn this outrightly.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by maasoap(m): 8:13am On Sep 30, 2018
theoldpretender:

6.APC has failed, but the cold reality is that either we increase fees, or we take loans or we spend half our budget on just the universities.

Sorry, but fact is fact.

You need N3 trillion to fund education? Lol.
Your budget is N8 trillion while N5 trillion out of it usually found its way into the individual pockets at the top level.
I guess Nigeria is the only country where tuition fees are cheap. Besides, you can't raise tuition fees for public schools beyond the income of the citizens. Where are the high paying job to pay back the loan of between 4 and 6 million naira?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Ekspensive(m): 8:14am On Sep 30, 2018
Shit hole country, governed by a lifeless man
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by bigfather(m): 8:14am On Sep 30, 2018
theoldpretender:

Sorry, but fact is fact.

If d govt can't fund education then what do we stand to benefit as citizens then ?
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 8:15am On Sep 30, 2018
[quote author=IbrahimDamola post=71650420][/quote]

useless ibomb piggyeastterners

Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by otunde527: 8:15am On Sep 30, 2018
Then they can all leave the the country
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by maasoap(m): 8:16am On Sep 30, 2018
theoldpretender:

OK, let us keep on taking loans from IMF or we spend half our budget on just university just to keep fees low.

Has nothing to do with politics. If another party takes over, the same funding problem exists

Lol. What has been the percentage of the annual budget being spent on education?
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by theoldpretender(m): 8:17am On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:
I think ASUU is wrong

Am with govt in this.

Yes, that is the fact.

Here is the problem. In 2013, when we had a good economy, GEJ told ASUU that 3trillion in extra money for university was not possible.

Once I heard that, fee increase was a matter of time.

Has nothing to do with who is in power and everything to do with the fact that university is an expensive undertaking.

One university VC said his overhead costs per annum were 600million.Govt gives him 100million. Where will he get the balance?

Honestly Nigerians should be realistic.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by AlphaStyles(m): 8:19am On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:

60k is ur monthly salary I guess?

For a year is 720k
So family no go feed abi? person no go buy cloth abi? transportation and nepa bill unkor? so we go dy hungry for 1year bkus of sch fees abi?
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by maasoap(m): 8:19am On Sep 30, 2018
Shugavee:
and some buharians will still support this.. buhari is the worst,, tufia

And you somehow convinced yourself that Buhari will endorse it? You need to chill
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by theoldpretender(m): 8:19am On Sep 30, 2018
maasoap:

Lol. What has been the percentage of the annual budget being spent on education?

We spent 800million this year on education.... Primary to university.

The 2009 ASUU fg agreement says we should spend 3trillion yearly for just university in Nigeria to keep fees low.

Our budget is 8trillion thus year.

You see the issue?
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 8:21am On Sep 30, 2018
theoldpretender:

Yes, that is the fact.

Here is the problem. In 2013, when we had a good economy, GEJ told ASUU that 3trillion in extra money for university was not possible.

Once I heard that, fee increase was a matter of time.

Has nothing to do with who is in power and everything to do with the fact that university is an expensive undertaking.

One university VC said his overhead costs per annum were 600million.Govt gives him 100million. Where will he get the balance?

Honestly Nigerians should be realistic.

God bless u for this....but the said Nigerians complain a lot that is because they want everything on a platter of gold.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by maasoap(m): 8:21am On Sep 30, 2018
weyreypey:

You won't know what education is if it states you in da face. First education in Nigeria is to collect PVC and hang it somewhere.

You didn't make sense. Just try to comment like a normal human being, at least, just pretend that you are normal
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Splashme: 8:21am On Sep 30, 2018
IsaAbubakar:
Buhari is the economic and social bokoharam
aside being a bloody criminal terrorist that kills Middle belt for fun

Thunder scatter Buhari's supporters masha Allah amin
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 30, 2018
AlphaStyles:
So family no go feed abi? person no go buy cloth abi? transportation and nepa bill unkor? so we go dy hungry for 1year bkus of sch fees abi?

Family planning will be of great help.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by fashrola(m): 8:23am On Sep 30, 2018
Juliusmalema:
I think ASUU is wrong

Am with govt in this.

Na your type suppose pay N2 million for education
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by weyreypey: 8:23am On Sep 30, 2018
maasoap:

You didn't make sense. Just try to comment like a normal human being, at least, just pretend that you are normal
Is there a normal person in Nigeria?
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by theoldpretender(m): 8:24am On Sep 30, 2018
bigfather:

If d govt can't fund education then what do we stand to benefit as citizens then ?

1.Is university degree a mark of education?

2. Nigeria is a poor country. And corruption of the elite makes it worse.

3.Countries with free education like Denmark fund it by taxes that chop 50% of your annual income. USA funds it by hefty student loans that have to be paid back.

4.Can we afford 3trillion on just university?

5.At the end of the day, we will end up taking loans, just to keep education free.

Let us be realistic. Either oil goes above 140uad per barrel, or we pay high fees or high taxes.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by theoldpretender(m): 8:28am On Sep 30, 2018
maasoap:

You need N3 trillion to fund education? Lol.
Your budget is N8 trillion while N5 trillion out of it usually found its way into the individual pockets at the top level.
I guess Nigeria is the only country where tuition fees are cheap. Besides, you can't raise tuition fees for public schools beyond the income of the citizens. Where are the high paying job to pay back the loan of between 4 and 6 million naira?

In my opinion, govt should allow universities to raise fees, and redirect heavy funding to technical schools.

On another note, I hate making the argument for high fees. But it is the sad truth. University is more expensive to fund than average secondary schools.

Really loans are not too horrible an idea. Many Americans have large amount of their salaries deducted for student loans. And it eats into their incomes.
Re: ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities by maasoap(m): 8:29am On Sep 30, 2018
theoldpretender:

We spent 800million this year on education.... Primary to university.

The 2009 ASUU fg agreement says we should spend 3trillion yearly for just university in Nigeria to keep fees low.

Our budget is 8trillion thus year.

You see the issue?

With all this corruption flying around? May be, we should all pretend that we don't know what is going on with the VCs and other stakeholders concerning funds. If they like, they should increase it to N1 million naira, it still won't make difference and its impacts will not be felt. It will just be a matter of years before they are back with the noise again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Almajiri, Adamu Tilde Graduates From Hungary University (pics) / OAU Suspends Professor Richard Akindele Indefinitely Over Sex For Mark / Jambites, What's Your New JAMB Score After Receiving The 40 Mark From Jamb?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.