Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,777 members, 7,955,969 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:04 PM

Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria (25965 Views)

Top Five (5) Nollywood Movies You Should Watch Out For In 2020 / 5 Nollywood Historical Films You Should See On October 1 / Top 10 Movies That Will Dominate 2018 By Kingston Dome. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by Iseoluwani: 6:44am On Oct 01, 2018
Oct 1

1 Like

Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by Archbishop88: 6:49am On Oct 01, 2018
God bless Federal Republic of Nigeria. Am grateful for am black and being a Nigerian is a blessing. We are grateful for we are not like USA, Sudan, Iran, Iraq and Somalia. Nigerians will be great again and again. Happy independence my Nation my country.
Good people great Nation.

Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by MrWondah(m): 6:49am On Oct 01, 2018
EVILFOREST:

When your leaders are still vice chancellors and pro chancellors of Tribalism...??
Don’t be surprised at the speech your leaders will utter today...
U will come back to Nairaland and weep
True though. But just because my father is bad, doesn't mean I should be bad
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by victorazyvictor(m): 6:54am On Oct 01, 2018
ClintGist:
58 years ago today, Nigeria got her independence from the British.

What could be more satisfying than to lie in relaxation and watch a movie that celebrates Nigeria and the spirit of her citizens – ranging from biographical dramas to entertaining box-office blockbusters?

These movies below capture the Nigerian culture, journey of unsung heroes and the strength of Nigerians as a people.

1. “The Wedding Party“

The highest grossing Nigerian film, “The Wedding Party” represents the flamboyant Nigerian wedding culture. Except for the absence of the fundamental Nigerian Jollof rice – I mean, who holds a Nigerian wedding without Jollof rice? – the movie does its best to capture a typical Nigerian wedding.

It is a representation of all the drama that could occur pre and post a wedding party. A typical Nigerian wedding party is fun, dramatic, tedious, but definitely entertaining.

A typical Nigerian wedding has that relative who turns up for the food or souvenirs, friends who turn up for the ‘gram’ and even an envious ex who is just there to witness and gloat over the inadequacies of the ceremony.

“The Wedding Party” captures the energy, music, colourfulness, culture and fashion that makes a Nigerian wedding party fun to attend.

2. “A Soldier’s Story”

If there’s any film that attempts to celebrate and encourage heroic soldiers and their contributions to the country, it is “A Soldier’s Story.”

The movie follows a soldier on a peacekeeping mission, who is left for dead by some rebel soldiers. The movie depicts various emotions such as the heartbreak and anguish that accompanies the news of the demise of a loved one in battle.

This story is such that ensures we remember the labours of these heroes past; heroes such as the Lt. Colonel Muhammad Abu Ali and other gallant officers who died in service during the war against Boko Haram.

3. “A Place in the Stars“

Inspired by the tenure of the late Director General of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Professor Dora Akunyili, the 2014 Steve Gukas film tells the story of Dakim, a young lawyer who is in possession of vital information about the trafficking of counterfeit drugs that can save many lives if he passes it on, but make millions of dollars if he doesn’t.

Late Professor Dora Akunyili, during her tenure as the Head of NAFDAC, tirelessly fought to halt the sale and use of fake drugs, even at the expense of her life. She would go on to become the Federal Minister of Information & Communication in 2008, and spear-headed a rebranding campaign for Nigeria with the slogan: “Good People, Great Nation”.

The film acknowledges the dogged and honest spirit of several Nigerians out there who have been consistent in being good and portraying Nigeria as a great nation.

4. “Saworoide”

Nigeria is a country with several cultural practices that define us. We have the Sharo ceremony in Fulani Land; traditional baby naming ceremony in Yoruba land; the fattening room in Efik land; and Omugwo in Igbo land.

But if we are talking about one of the films that encapsulates an interesting culture of a tribe in Nigeria, it’s “Saworide,” which means talking drum or brass bell in English Language.

The Tunde Kelani film follows the setting of an old Yoruba norm in the town of Jogbo, where a person can not be crowned king without the Saworoide being played by the right person.

Drumming is a key part of the cultural heritage of the Yoruba people. They are several drums such as Gangan (Talking Drum), Bata, Saworide, Omela Ako; all used for different occasions.

The film celebrates the charm of African art, and the beauty of tradition and folklore.

Most importantly the movie speaks on Nigeria and how it has dealt with civil rule and military dictatorship.

5. “93 Days

“93 Days” celebrates the sacrifices of the late Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh and all who risked their lives to make sure the Ebola virus was contained in Nigeria.

On July 20, 2014, Liberian, Patrick Sawyer, arrived Lagos. He became severely ill upon arrival and died five days later of the Ebola disease. Almost 93 days later, on 20 October 2014, the World Health Organization (WHO) officially declared Nigeria to be Ebola free.

The method used to contain the virus brought positive recognition from around the world for the country. In WHO’s Ebola Situation Assessment report, it was commended with lessons for countries such as the United States. Nigeria had become that exemplary kid in class for a good behavior.

Ebola was controlled as a result of the quick thinking, resilience and selflessness of the late Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh and other medical personnel. Ameyo is credited for curbing a wider spread of the Ebola virus in Nigeria by placing Patrick Sawyer in quarantine despite pressures from some quarters to have him released.

Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh died on 19 August 2014, few weeks after testing positive for the Ebola virus disease.

Apart from recording a significant period in Nigeria, the movie “93 Days” depicts the strength, selflessness and sacrificial nature of Nigerians.

Which of your favourite Nollywood films celebrates Nigeria as a country? Share with us in the comment section.

https://www.clintgist.com/5-nollywood-movies-to-watch-on-independence-day-id7399687-html/

What about the rubbish movie "October 1st" by Afolayan,

1 Like

Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by Yinxies(f): 7:03am On Oct 01, 2018
Kosegbe, koseru

horleykay:
kosegbe is another epic movie from mainframe productions that should be on that list.
Am sure just a few will remember the movie
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by Rumicarter: 7:04am On Oct 01, 2018
smiley.
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by rill: 7:25am On Oct 01, 2018
Wedding party doesn't fit
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by BafanaBafana: 7:26am On Oct 01, 2018
Where can one download these and other high quality Nigeria movies please.

1 Like

Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by Teejayphillip(m): 7:27am On Oct 01, 2018
October 1st by Kunlé Afolayan

1 Like

Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by sircomputer(m): 7:52am On Oct 01, 2018
Your no 1 suppose to be the last ,because it has nothing to do with independence than jollof rice as you have briefly narrated the story. I think October 1 supposed to be mentioned.
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by SAMBARRY: 7:54am On Oct 01, 2018
Mshewwwww on 31st of septermber (nigerias pre independence) i was stuck in lagos traffic between agege to iyanapaja.i spent 5hrs (4pm to 9pm in traffic because of rain and bad roads and you expect me to celebrate independence

Go towards iyanaba that place is a terrible eye sore.anytime it rains,the water will push the dustbin into the pedestrian roads were people are passing,still yet the little space available where people should be passing,road side traders and street beggars have blocked the place.as youre trying to avoid them,you will almost run into or get knocked down by okada and he will zoom off without care like nothing happened

Is that a country you want me to celebrate.niw let me ask you a question and i want you to answer with all honesty.if you have a father who is 58 today and didnt contribute in anyway to your life,rather making things more difficult for you in achieving sucess through his unkind policies and today is his birthday (by the way he doesnt even know you exist) will you celebrate him?

Least i forget the strike is still on and they still dont give a fok,yet youre celebrating?celebrating what exactly?this is aupposed to be our mourning period but nigerians seem to be suffering from forgetfulness and stockholm syndrome

Tomorow if you travel out of the country and achieve sucess thats when theyll give a fok about you and remember youre a nigerian with stupid sentiments like "ajo odabile"..

Joor,jekin bere lowo e.peradventure youre unfortunate to have a father like nigeria (god forbid) every responsibility a father is supposed to do for a child,he didnt do it and now the child is impoverished,illiterate,angry tensed up and a reprobate,then he managed to go to another persons house.they opened the door for him,cleaned him up and gave him life and hope ,question 1,will you still love your biological father,2.if he says son,come back home,the home is not how ut used to be.we have cleaned it up and its now peaceful,secure and loving.will you be willing to go,knowing the home hes referring to is not safe and predictable as he made it seem and you know also that hes not capable of protecting you or even giving a damn?

Nigeria is the proverbial useless and irresponsible father.the other house where the child was clothed and given a room to sleep are foreign countries where givernment provided a source of livelihood for them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by semiudauda: 8:03am On Oct 01, 2018
SAWOROIDE what a movie!!
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by DONADAMS(m): 8:04am On Oct 01, 2018
nice.. buh please anybody with a link I can download 76 by izu ojukwu? thanks
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by N0favors: 8:04am On Oct 01, 2018
I tire for OP o
Vince77:
What of October 1st?
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by Comrsaheed: 8:35am On Oct 01, 2018
Happy Independent day to Naija.

1 Like

Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by Jexyme(f): 8:38am On Oct 01, 2018
Happy New Month to you all!
May God continue to bless and prosper you.
We can't celebrate independence because there's nothing to celebrate.
"E GO BETTER!" Poor man prayer since October 1, 1960.
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by CarGuideNG: 8:44am On Oct 01, 2018
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by moscobabs(m): 8:52am On Oct 01, 2018
Vince77:
What of October 1st?

You dey mind the op?

Stubborn grasshopper nko?
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by blingxx(m): 9:02am On Oct 01, 2018
Akshow:
Saworoide is my favourite Yoruba film of all time. It satarizes Nigeria perfectly. Kudos to Kelani

But October 1 should be there too

I swear.. it's just one of those Nigerian movies worth watching
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 01, 2018
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by edkai: 4:20pm On Oct 01, 2018
Happy new month everyone.
Without much ado, i'll go straight to the point. The aim of this post is to inform you about how you can earn residual income for yourself and family (spouse and children). It merely involves buying personal care products such as toothpaste, body cream, body and mouth sprays, soap, body wash etc. Notice that these are products for your everyday use. After buying these products, you can then tell others about them. By doing this, you'll be receiving payments every Friday of every week. Its very flexible. There's nothing to lose in my opinion. I know after reading this you guys will have several questions, but I'm not so good at typing long stories. If you need more info on this, you can contact me by call or watsapp on 08164058477.
Have a blessed day.
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by Originalsly: 5:41pm On Oct 01, 2018
SAMBARRY:
Mshewwwww on 31st of septermber (nigerias pre independence) i was stuck in lagos traffic between agege to iyanapaja.i spent 5hrs (4pm to 9pm in traffic because of rain and bad roads and you expect me to celebrate independence

Go towards iyanaba that place is a terrible eye sore.anytime it rains,the water will push the dustbin into the pedestrian roads were people are passing,still yet the little space available where people should be passing,road side traders and street beggars have blocked the place.as youre trying to avoid them,you will almost run into or get knocked down by okada and he will zoom off without care like nothing happened

Is that a country you want me to celebrate.niw let me ask you a question and i want you to answer with all honesty.if you have a father who is 58 today and didnt contribute in anyway to your life,rather making things more difficult for you in achieving sucess through his unkind policies and today is his birthday (by the way he doesnt even know you exist) will you celebrate him?

Least i forget the strike is still on and they still dont give a fok,yet youre celebrating?celebrating what exactly?this is aupposed to be our mourning period but nigerians seem to be suffering from forgetfulness and stockholm syndrome

Tomorow if you travel out of the country and achieve sucess thats when theyll give a fok about you and remember youre a nigerian with stupid sentiments like "ajo odabile"..

Joor,jekin bere lowo e.peradventure youre unfortunate to have a father like nigeria (god forbid) every responsibility a father is supposed to do for a child,he didnt do it and now the child is impoverished,illiterate,angry tensed up and a reprobate,then he managed to go to another persons house.they opened the door for him,cleaned him up and gave him life and hope ,question 1,will you still love your biological father,2.if he says son,come back home,the home is not how ut used to be.we have cleaned it up and its now peaceful,secure and loving.will you be willing to go,knowing the home hes referring to is not safe and predictable as he made it seem and you know also that hes not capable of protecting you or even giving a damn?

Nigeria is the proverbial useless and irresponsible father.the other house where the child was clothed and given a room to sleep are foreign countries where givernment provided a source of livelihood for them.

I'll jump in and try to answer your questions.

And so my fellow Americans....ask not what your country can do for you...but what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy in his inaugural address to US citizens.

Have you ever once asked yourself that question? If Buhari/Jonathan had made the very statement....we would've been reading another chapter of lamentations from you. The bad roads you've made a talking point.... for yearssss...that road has been in deplorable condition.... even so under the British...weRe they also useless and irresponsible? Have you moved a muscle during all these yearsss to get the authorities to repair the roads? When things are done for the common good in those foreign countries...almost all the time it is because of grassroots actions... actions taken by ordinary citizens. You have a civic duty as a Nigerian .... and it is not to tear down the country.There are wayyyy too many like you who spare no effort...who miss no opportunity to drag the country into the gutter.
Then to liken your country to an irresponsible father....it just highlights the biggest problem that can face any nation...the mentality of its citizen. No country can progress if its citizens sit and wait like babies to be spoonfed....sitting like babies at home but working like bees abroad...and still wondering why the country is not progressing.
58 years.....can we do better?...yes we can....but who is going to help us if we don't want to help ourselves?...God?...like sooo many sit and cry out?..God help those who help themselves.
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by SAMBARRY: 6:10pm On Oct 01, 2018
Originalsly:

I'll jump in and try to answer your questions.

And so my fellow Americans....ask not what your country can do for you...but what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy in his inaugural address to US citizens.

Have you ever once asked yourself that question? If %Buhari/Jonathan had made the very statement....we would've been reading another chapter of lamentations from you. The bad roads you've made a talking point.... for yearssss...that road has been in deplorable condition.... even so under the British...weRe they also useless and irresponsible? Have you moved a muscle during all these yearsss to get the authorities to repair the roads? When things are done for the common good in those foreign countries...almost all the time it is because of grassroots actions... actions taken by ordinary citizens. You have a civic duty as a Nigerian .... and it is not to tear down the country.There are wayyyy too many like you who spare no effort...who miss no opportunity to drag the country into the gutter.
Then to liken your country to an irresponsible father....it just highlights the biggest problem that can face any nation...the mentality of its citizen. No country can progress if its citizens sit and wait like babies to be spoonfed....sitting like babies at home but working like bees abroad...and still wondering why the country is not progressing.
58 years.....can we do better?...yes we can....but who is going to help us if we don't want to help ourselves?...God?...like sooo many sit and cry out?..God help those who help themselves.

shey engboro buruku nigboro enu.see talk for mouth.no one is bashing nigeria but at the same time let us be humble enough to accept the truth.back to your statement which by the way isNOT APPLICABLE TO NIGERIA SAYING THINK OF WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNRRY NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU.kolorara.e no go at all.isnt it a father who takes care of his child,sends him to good schools,ensures he has a good job and lives a good life that can take care of his father?

A child that is just left to fate and allowed to survive alone without any support whatsoever be it in education and so on that can be empowered to think logically about what he can do for his country.morever kenedy is justified to make such statement becausethe people are empowered but no nigerian leader is justified to say that

Take a stroll to oshodi bridge and see live hunger and poverty.i cried on the inside when i passed there last week.a mother was walking along the bridge with her little son of lets say 4 to 5 years old and the little boy was eating cheese balls while the mother was dragging his hands moving and i saw some crumbs of cheese balls fall from the boys hand (i was walking from behind them so i was noticing) and then i observed that as soon as the boy and his mother passed,a little street girl of 6 years picked the crumbs of cheese balls on the floor to eat.i was so pained and disturbed because she looked so dirty,hubgry,weak and vulnerable.i just gave her 100 naira to buy something to eat.if you see how happy she was.i was baffled.now imagine a ritualist,kidnapper or rapist spotting that child and handing her 500 naira to follow him

You know the rest of the story?

Stop pretending as if everything is alright with the country as if you cant see it.stop living in denial.lets expose the nonsense government is doing

Go to rural areas no infrastructures,in some rural areas that i dont want to mention pupils sit on broken chairs,put their books on dilapidated tables,no fan,no doors,kids go to school with torn uniforms and guess what happened to the money meant for these schools?yeah. Your guess is as good as mine.stop the hypocrisy.a child doesnt owe it to the father to take care of him when he abandoned her.

Lest i forget,today is independence day,no light o and no genuine effort to do anything about it

Just pass our street nd see depressed looking young men and women who just finished nysc and are hawking shoes on the streets.graduates ooo
Re: Independence Day: 5 Nollywood Movies That Celebrate Nigeria by Originalsly: 10:49pm On Oct 01, 2018
SAMBARRY:
shey engboro buruku nigboro enu.see talk for mouth.no one is bashing nigeria but at the same time let us be humble enough to accept the truth.back to your statement which by the way isNOT APPLICABLE TO NIGERIA SAYING THINK OF WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR COUNRRY NOT WHAT YOUR COUNTRY CAN DO FOR YOU.kolorara.e no go at all.isnt it a father who takes care of his child,sends him to good schools,ensures he has a good job and lives a good life that can take care of his father?

A child that is just left to fate and allowed to survive alone without any support whatsoever be it in education and so on that can be empowered to think logically about what he can do for his country.morever kenedy is justified to make such statement becausethe people are empowered but no nigerian leader is justified to say that

Take a stroll to oshodi bridge and see live hunger and poverty.i cried on the inside when i passed there last week.a mother was walking along the bridge with her little son of lets say 4 to 5 years old and the little boy was eating cheese balls while the mother was dragging his hands moving and i saw some crumbs of cheese balls fall from the boys hand (i was walking from behind them so i was noticing) and then i observed that as soon as the boy and his mother passed,a little street girl of 6 years picked the crumbs of cheese balls on the floor to eat.i was so pained and disturbed because she looked so dirty,hubgry,weak and vulnerable.i just gave her 100 naira to buy something to eat.if you see how happy she was.i was baffled.now imagine a ritualist,kidnapper or rapist spotting that child and handing her 500 naira to follow him

You know the rest of the story?

Stop pretending as if everything is alright with the country as if you cant see it.stop living in denial.lets expose the nonsense government is doing

Go to rural areas no infrastructures,in some rural areas that i dont want to mention pupils sit on broken chairs,put their books on dilapidated tables,no fan,no doors,kids go to school with torn uniforms and guess what happened to the money meant for these schools?yeah. Your guess is as good as mine.stop the hypocrisy.a child doesnt owe it to the father to take care of him when he abandoned her.

Lest i forget,today is independence day,no light o and no genuine effort to do anything about it

Just pass our street nd see depressed looking young men and women who just finished nysc and are hawking shoes on the streets.graduates ooo

......think what you can do for your country is applicable to citizens of any country. No doubt it is the responsibility of the government to ensure the citizens are provided with the basic infrastructure and necessary services that will allow them the opportunity thrive as productive citizens. It is our responsibility to hold our leaders accountable..... to ensure they do what they were elected to do.... this is what we can do for our country.....do we? Noooo......instead of the government empowering the people....we the people are allowing the government to empower itself...then we point fingers at our leaders when we should be looking in the mirror and pointing fingers at ourselves. NYSC graduates.... who should be future backbone of the country.....what have they done to bring about change in basic living conditions at the various camps? Nothing. They lived in squalor. ... did nothing. ...while their counterparts in other countries are in the forefront for change. ..always been. They graduate...no jobs...no opportunities...what have they done?...nothing.... but lament and try to go abroad to enjoy what others have struggled to achieve. The government will get away with what its citizens allow it to...and we as citizens are allowing it to get away with whatever they want to do. As long as we don't hold our leader responsible...nothing will change.

(1) (2) (Reply)

BBNaija: Venita Reveals How She Was Physically Abused By Her Father / Inside Teju Baby-face TV Show / BBNaija: Hermes Nominates Phyna, Amaka, 3 Other Housemates For Possible Eviction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.