Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,542 members, 7,819,926 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:55 AM

How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? (23152 Views)

How Lucrative Is Battery Business / How Lucrative Is Transportation Business? / How Lucrative Is Tipper Business In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by 100kobo(m): 9:02pm On Oct 01, 2018
Mayor555:
OK I'm back, pay close attention to this...

Handling your transport business yourself will be very lucrative.
But your calculation no follow at all...

Put into consideration the followings:

Fuel per to-fro trip

Servicing of engine every week or two

Numbers of week, that 4 brand new tyres can carry you(good tyres can carry up-to 6months)

Brake Pads every two weeks(can be relative)

Union fee

Wears and tears each week(reserve like 20k). You might be lucky to go weeks without repairs, if you have a good bus

And:
like you said, understand the "intestines" of the business in your area before handing any bus to anyone, else you'll be shooting yourself some RPG missiles.

Let me add this, why not buy 2004-2007 Toyota sienna clean title tokunbo or relatively clean and shuttle Port Harcourt to Lagos.
Thank me later..

Now this is what I call: Balanced view!
Bar man, give him one Fanta Tonic on my bills...

3 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by TissuePaper: 9:03pm On Oct 01, 2018
agarawu23:
okay make I follow put mouth since I am also into it.

That figure u quote up there is good and easy to write on the paper but reverse is the case In reality. grin

Transportation business is very lucrative and a slow blood money when u have a good driver or u drive it yourself.

Buy a good tokunbo bus and not Nigeria use if u don't want stories from your driver. since u ply east...... I think they use hummer bus there but if u can go for Mazda bus (18 passenger) u will thank me later in future cos it's cheaper, strong and easy to maintain. wink

I don't know the daily payment in PH but here in Lagos, 18 passenger bus pay 7-8k per day so we make roughly 40k+ per week per bus. Saturday is excluded for general check up of the vehicles and maintainance.

Be ready to be tough on your drivers if not, they will buy their own bus from your bus and give u stories everyday. embarassed

what? 7-8k per day is too much, what exactly are we paying for shocked
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by Thanks2God: 9:07pm On Oct 01, 2018
Am into the business.

Its actually lucrative but not lucrative as u have predicted.

There are two mode of doing transport business.

1. Running line(picking passenger along the road)
2. Loading in a park.

Both have the advantage and disadvantages

Running line :
You need a conductor services
You make more money
Your engine dies quicker
The passengers u may carry may not be able to Carter for for the fuel.

Loading in park:
u will load wen its ur turn.
Your motor gets full before u leave.
Park charges higher amount from passenger
You may not need a conductor

Lucrstive but very risky and stressful

4 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by BestDude: 9:07pm On Oct 01, 2018
Lol everybody is just saying it is lucrative. Bros when you start, you go know how far.

That shiit is not easy. My uncle owns Libra Motors and I know how long it took him to start making profit and build his business to this stage...

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 01, 2018
AleAirHub:
Nice calculation out there cheesy cheesy cheesy. If that is how the interstate transportation is very lucrative , I for don flood the business with 6buses for a start.

CORRECTION.

From Port Harcourt to Yenagoa via bus is N500 along the road & park is N700 but many masses prefer along the road because of sharp sharp movement.

Union ticket per a Trip is N1000 whether you load from park or along the road.

Minimum fuel cost per trip is N1500.

Conductor fees per day should be around N1500/2500.

Checking point joint is 4 during daylight & 5 during night which translate to total sum of N500 to oga police pocket lipsrsealed

So total expenses per trip will be around N3000/N3500.

So from my analysis , your profit margin should be N20000/N25000 that gives you N600k/750k per month. Then reserve at list N50k/60k for monthly maintenance.

Lastly your net profit margin per month should be around N550k / 700k.

Sir later make I face my white rice with fresh fish pepper soup dinner grin

best analysis so far, use this juice push that food go down.......

6 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 01, 2018
TissuePaper:
Please nairalanders I need you guys to share your views on how lucrative you think the transportation sector is, especially the gurus in the business.

I'm thinking of buying a fairly used Toyota Hiace bus which costs about 3.5 million naira and I think it's a fair deal considering the profit I think I'll be making every day.

The bus should have 18 seats so that gives me 18,000 naira per trip, I'm thinking of plying interstate from port-Harcourt to Bayelsa which costs 1 thousand naira per person.

Therefore, if I can be able to make 4 trips in a day that gives me about 72000 naira returns everyday, giving me about 2.1 million naira per month.

Pardon me... I just did this little mathematics out of naivety as I do not really know the complexity of the transport sector, that is why i need your views, opinions and advice so that I don't hurt myself in the end.

However, if everything is as it seems then I think I would have to invest massively in the transport sector smiley

From Choba to Mbiama junction 18 police and army cash points 50naira 100naira per point average it 100naira multiply by 18 times 2.
This excludes FRSC as a newbie they will eat you like suya. You can't escape Emohua sector
Port Harcourt to Yenagoa route is very tight, forget about four trips per day.
Angry and cunning mechanics are waiting.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by BestDude: 9:13pm On Oct 01, 2018
TissuePaper:
what? 7-8k per day is too much, what exactly are we paying for shocked
I am not surprised about that because my elder bro tried it with his friend's car and the park too most of profit he made daily. I swear those park guys make cool easy money every day... As in, cool money and I am not sure the money goes to the government. They don't maintain anything or stock anything.. Just stand and collect money from drivers every day.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by VolvoS60(m): 9:13pm On Oct 01, 2018
Revealing thread. A lot of useful points.

It is interesting though, how Nigerians have accepted some 'fees' undecided as unavoidable costs of doing business. There is no reason for legitimate business men and transporters to pay so-called park dues, union dues, NARTO/NURTW levies/dues, police settlement fees etc. - and get nothing in return.

Easy come, easy go. I have seen with my own eyes, NURTW 'officials' undecided getting drunk at 11am on a weekday. And why wouldn't they? Its 'free money". These same NURTW loafers are also the errand boys of the degenerate politicians we venerate - the politicians use them to do their dirty jobs and then 'empower' them for services rendered. The Lagos NURTW is a notorious example of this.

But they do these things because we let them...

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by BestDude: 9:16pm On Oct 01, 2018
VolvoS60:

It is interesting though, how Nigerians have accepted some 'fees' undecided as unavoidable costs of doing business. There is no reason for legitimate business men and transporters to pay so-called park dues, union dues, NARTO/NURTW levies/dues, police settlement fees etc. - and get nothing in return.

Easy come, easy go. I have seen with my own eyes, NURTW 'officials' undecided getting drunk at 11am on a weekday. And why wouldn't they? Its 'free money". These same NURTW loafers are also the errand boys of the degenerate politicians we venerate - the politicians use them to to their dirty jobs and then 'empower' them for services rendered. The Lagos NURTW is a shining example of this.

gbam... U just corroborated my post above yours.

1 Like

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by TissuePaper: 9:22pm On Oct 01, 2018
BestDude:
Lol everybody is just saying it is lucrative. Bros when you start, you go know how far.

That shiit is not easy. My uncle owns Libra Motors and I know how long it took him to start making profit and build his business to this stage...
like how long did it take him?
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by TissuePaper: 9:23pm On Oct 01, 2018
Thanks2God:
Am into the business.

Its actually lucrative but not lucrative as u have predicted.

There are two mode of doing transport business.

1. Running line(picking passenger along the road)
2. Loading in a park.

Both have the advantage and disadvantages

Running line :
You need a conductor services
You make more money
Your engine dies quicker
The passengers u may carry may not be able to Carter for for the fuel.

Loading in park:
u will load wen its ur turn.
Your motor gets full before u leave.
Park charges higher amount from passenger
You may not need a conductor

Lucrstive but very risky and stressful

interesting analysis, so which one will you prefer? Park or running line? And why would you choose it specially over the other
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by omo17(m): 9:25pm On Oct 01, 2018
maasoap:

I do sympathise with you. You shall rise again. I'm into intra-city minibuses business, less prone to serious accidents but daily income is low unless you're driving one yourself. I don't drive.

Pls where are you plying, can u pls tell us more because I also prefer intra city
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by TissuePaper: 9:39pm On Oct 01, 2018
VolvoS60:

Easy come, easy go. I have seen with my own eyes, NURTW 'officials' undecided getting drunk at 11am on a weekday. And why wouldn't they? Its 'free money". These same NURTW loafers are also the errand boys of the degenerate politicians we venerate - the politicians use them to to their dirty jobs and then 'empower' them for services rendered. The Lagos NURTW is a shining example of this.

enlightening
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by lastmaster(m): 9:42pm On Oct 01, 2018
You forgot to add village people. They may try to knock the engine of your Bus.

3 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by Aderewah: 9:49pm On Oct 01, 2018
100kobo:

All I read is Discouragements...Shuo? You no get chill Ooo. I expected you to balance out your contribution by also mirroring into the positive side of the business. Would it be a hasty generalisation to conclude that you're a naysayer?

Experience it and you'll sound like me. It might generate fast returnshipping but it's stress. It's not easy. That's why few such drivers are rich.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by VolvoS60(m): 9:50pm On Oct 01, 2018
TissuePaper:
enlightening

^^^

P.S. With the right lubricants, you will only have to perform routine oil changes on your vehicle once the correct mileage has been reached, or once the appropriate time interval (usually in months) has passed. Definitely not every two weeks or every month? like a couple of posters suggested earlier in the thread.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by TissuePaper: 9:56pm On Oct 01, 2018
VolvoS60:

^^^

P.S. With the right lubricants, you will only have to perform routine oil changes on your vehicle once the correct mileage has been reached, or once the appropriate time interval (usually in months) has passed. Definitely not every two weeks or every month? like a couple of posters suggested earlier in the thread.
noted..thanks a million... I'll be keeping In touch with you, seems you're experienced in this biz
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by despi64(m): 10:06pm On Oct 01, 2018
Tissue:
do you think it is going to be feasible?.. How many trips per day do you think I can make on maximum?
I can't say. Best bet would be to ask drivers or park managers how many trips a bus makes in a day. Work with the least number of trips for your calculations
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by samisj4real(m): 10:07pm On Oct 01, 2018
Augustine8825:
I am currently prepared to enter into Transportation, you can partner with me let's do it together since i am very experienced in the business. I have a registered company under CAC to run a transportation business. transportation business is very lucrative whether you are to drive for yours or someone is to drive for you, or you need is to acquire the skills to manage the business. [color=#000099][/color]
Can we talk on WhatsApp?
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by TissuePaper: 10:10pm On Oct 01, 2018
despi64:

I can't say. Best bet would be to ask drivers or park managers how many trips a bus makes in a day. Work with the least number of trips for your calculations
okay, I'll see to that smiley
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by despi64(m): 10:16pm On Oct 01, 2018
TissuePaper:
okay, I'll see to that smiley
Drivers who ply the route you want your bus to ply
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by DEBJOCH1(m): 10:24pm On Oct 01, 2018
EVEN IF YOU WILL BE COVERING FROM YOUR DOORSTEP TO THE NEXT DOOR, THAT YOUR CALCULATION IS NOT IT. YES TRANSPORT BUSINESS IS LUCRATIVE, YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN TO INCLUDE POLICE, ROAD SAFETY ETC IN YOUR CALCULATION. HERE IN THE WEST, YOU MUST BE A PRAYER WARRIOR OR BELONG TO THE OTHER SIDE FOR YOU TO SUCCEED IN TRANSPORT BUSINESS.
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by virago(f): 11:06pm On Oct 01, 2018
It's not as easy as you put it

You'll pay for ticket twice daily ( once in the morning and once in the evening ) , you'll pay for loading for every trip , booking for every trip , security once everyday ( that's where police money also comes in ). Asides these monies you'll also repair your bus regularly , you'll change brake pads once or twice a month , change tires almost every month , factor in government agencies like road safety , VIO , LASTMA or its equivalent in Port Harcourt. You'll still settle police as well

3 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by BestDude: 11:10pm On Oct 01, 2018
TissuePaper:
like how long did it take him?
it took him years though. He started around 98 after he came back from Holland and bought about 10 buses...
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by Thunday1005(m): 11:14pm On Oct 01, 2018
Pls is anyone into tertiary institutions transport(campus shuttle) ...

What are the advantages and disadvantages of campus shuttle

3 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by Kaymaxi2222(m): 12:12am On Oct 02, 2018
agarawu23:
okay make I follow put mouth since I am also into it.

That figure u quote up there is good and easy to write on the paper but reverse is the case In reality. grin

Transportation business is very lucrative and a slow blood money when u have a good driver or u drive it yourself.

Buy a good tokunbo bus and not Nigeria use if u don't want stories from your driver. since u ply east...... I think they use hummer bus there but if u can go for Mazda bus (18 passenger) u will thank me later in future cos it's cheaper, strong and easy to maintain. wink

I don't know the daily payment in PH but here in Lagos, 18 passenger bus pay 7-8k per day so we make roughly 40k+ per week per bus. Saturday is excluded for general check up of the vehicles and maintainance.

Be ready to be tough on your drivers if not, they will buy their own bus from your bus and give u stories everyday. embarassed

please enlighten me bro I dey lag too and I wone go into transportation biz I just lost my job but I have a Mitsubishi space wagon which I wone you for the biz please advise me
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by Eyoh01(m): 12:25am On Oct 02, 2018
look at tew

counting profit is your calculator faulty or my eyes

18 passengers to bayelsa gives you 18000 and before u know 2million kini won't u buy fuel, when you load in most park the committee collect money take their percentage and give you your Share even when they don't their commission is fix then you settle abegro, vio, road safety, mopol, army, navy, Marine etc,

my brother its not everyday you load 18 passengers 4x somedays u may go and balance one corner de play ludo and hope unto God even when they are passengers u load in turns therefore at times u just queue

that part of a trustworthy driver keep looking sir when u see one pls let us know

2 Likes

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by stantonelvis(m): 2:50am On Oct 02, 2018
[bad business.. you ll encounter so much challenges from nurtw, abgero, police etc.. I had to sell by sienna buses wen d challenges hit out of handuote author=TissuePaper post=71679397]Please nairalanders I need you guys to share your views on how lucrative you think the transportation sector is, especially the gurus in the business.

I'm thinking of buying a fairly used Toyota Hiace bus which costs about 3.5 million naira and I think it's a fair deal considering the profit I think I'll be making every day.

The bus should have 18 seats so that gives me 18,000 naira per trip, I'm thinking of plying interstate from port-Harcourt to Bayelsa which costs 1 thousand naira per person.

Therefore, if I can be able to make 4 trips in a day that gives me about 72000 naira returns everyday, giving me about 2.1 million naira per month.

Pardon me... I just did this little mathematics out of naivety as I do not really know the complexity of the transport sector, that is why i need your views, opinions and advice so that I don't hurt myself in the end.

However, if everything is as it seems then I think I would have to invest massively in the transport sector smiley

[/quote]
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by adrelanine: 3:53am On Oct 02, 2018
3.5m..
1. Relocate to lag with one of your brothers and get your self a room self contained or even 2 bed room flat for just 400k (it could be cheaper)
2. Get a Toyota corolla (2005) model for as low as 1.6 /1.7M , fix it up for uberand drive your thing. You can earn up to 60k in a week or even more .. that's 240 k in a month.. no stress,no union, no wahala.
3. Then get a muruwa as low as 500/600k, fix it up for your Bro in your vicinity ..you can make a lot on a daily basis.
4. 08100609100 is my number. Thanks me later
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by Ten06(m): 5:07am On Oct 02, 2018
TissuePaper:
Also what exactly am I paying the touts and agberos for...i thought my business is only with the park workers?
The guys that manage the park will not come out of their office to announce for passengers to know that your bus is loading to PH, it is the touts who will continue to announce, persuade, and arrange the luggages. After the bus must have been fully loaded, luggages arranged, it is the touts that will collect the fare from the passengers and remove the park commission which the percentage is already known by all before handling the remainder to you. Before now it was 25% but I don't know the current percentage. After then the touts will demand settlement from you for all their effort they put in loading your bus. If you don't give them they will just grumble and leave you but when next you come to load they will leave you to do everything to load your bus. Mark you, you won't be able to load the bus yourself because Passengers consist of the good the bad and the ugly. Passengers are mostly afraid of the touts but they won't be afraid of you nor respect you so you may likely be beaten by one. After then when you get to the park gate before you will be allowed to pass they will give you the tickets and you will pay before leaving.
Then on your way you will encounter police and road safety and if by chance your vehicle is found to be lacking something like fire extinguisher etc or your fire extinguisher has expired without you knowing you will have to settle and the settlement is not less than 1k. And on getting to PH, let say a passenger is dropping at rumuokoro you will have to drop him inside the park and pay for discharging ticket and if you drop him outside the park and obio-akpo task force get you there your own is finished, they will take you to their secretariat after robbing you of what is in your pocket there and will make you to pay not less than 25k before your bus will be released. Bro, I'm not discouraging you but transportation business is not like the way you think.
I also dreamt of becoming a millionaire within a short time before I went into transportation but I thank God that I was able to come out alive

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by anigbajumo(m): 6:42am On Oct 02, 2018
sykeng:

better sell off that truck

Lol,u dunno anything.... U can't knw my work better than me.You think truck owners are making millions of naira per month??you won't understand till u ar info it...
Re: How Lucrative Is The Transportation Sector?? by computerglobal(m): 6:48am On Oct 02, 2018
Luciferlove:
Oga tissue paper I hail oh!!!

So the bus won't break down...agbero will not collect there cut....police will not take there own...After work,you'll now tell your conductor "thank you oh...come on time tomorrow" and above all you will be running your bus on solar... Oga do the math again
cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Elon Musk Snaps Up $3bn Twitter Stake, Becomes Twitter's Largest Shareholder / Why Young People Should Invest In Shares / Minimum Opening Balance For Savings Account Zenith Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.