Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,009 members, 7,825,147 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. (18716 Views)

2 Reasons Why Cheating On Your Spouse Is Not In The Bible. / Bishop Oyedepo Buys New Aircraft. Sells Old Ones / Examining Talk That Jehovah's Witnesses Are The Only Ones Preaching Out There (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by ukandi1(m): 8:47am On Oct 07, 2018
olsome:
The Bible condemns re-marrying when your spouse is still alive; but why do some pastors encourage it?? Are they reading newspaper or the Bible?? Some churches even join couples who have divorced and spouse is still alive..

The only supported re-marriage is when ones spouse is dead...

Add your contribution, but if you disagree, create your own Bible...

The Bible was given to us by the missionaries from the West, the Europeans.
How do they handle this? . They separate and remarry at will.
The implication of your assertion is that couple must try to kill each other so that the lucky one alive can remarry. That's wrong.

If my wife wants to remarry, she doesn't need to have me dead. She is free to remarry

5 Likes

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by Das77herbal: 8:47am On Oct 07, 2018
Op should direct this question to Pastor Chris Okotie. From him will you get the correct answer.
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by kullozone(m): 8:47am On Oct 07, 2018
When people start reading a book that contradicts itself... Don't be surprised when their brains start contradicting itselfsmiley

4 Likes

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by Twoclans(f): 8:47am On Oct 07, 2018
Regardless of how we want to interpret the bible,I can never stand with people staying in marriages that are a threat to their very existence. To what benefit is it for a man or woman to keep staying in a marriage that is already technically dead on all levels. undecided

People should be allowed to give a try at happiness again.Today is Sunday I don't want to get angry at all this over religious people. Judgement day will be very interesting .That is when we will know that some things does not really matter .

7 Likes

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 07, 2018
Ubenedictus:
civil divorce does not seperate a valid marriage according to Jesus any attempt to remarry is adultery.
Chris Oyakhilome must hear this
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by ukandi1(m): 8:49am On Oct 07, 2018
budaatum:

Oh well, he divorced her (or vice versa) they were 28 at the time with no kids. Most people would rather get on with their life and remarry than wait for their ex to die, while some might just kill the ex if they believe they shouldn't remarry till ex dies.

Wasn't Jesus just against divorce anyway?

Exactly.
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by sacramento1212: 8:50am On Oct 07, 2018
bedspread:

Bro Biblically there is nothing like proper dissolution of marriage.. Only Death permits a Man or Woman to Re-Marry.....

A Woman whose Husband is a serial beater can leave the house to save her Life... but is not Permitted to Re-marry..

If you can't forgive your spouse due to infidelity or whatever you are not Permitted to Re-marry. Except for Death sake

So are you saying one cannot divorce the spouse on the grounds of adultery?

1 Like

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by tosyne2much(m): 8:50am On Oct 07, 2018
sacramento1212:

O boy where have you been? e don tay oooo. How madam and children
Baba I just dey ooooo.. I go soon bounce back for front page cheesy
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by busco59: 8:52am On Oct 07, 2018
The couple who was a victim is allowed to remarry. Unchastity (unfaithfulness), is the only ground for possible divorce and remarriage by the couple who was wronged (victim). The unfaithful couple is not allowed to marry but the faithful couple is, based on my own understanding of Christ word on Mathew 19 vs 9.
And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery."

1 Like

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by ednut1(m): 8:52am On Oct 07, 2018
Religion and confusion
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by sacramento1212: 8:56am On Oct 07, 2018
Twoclans:
Regardless of how we want to interpret the bible,I can never stand with people staying in marriages that are a threat to their very existence. To what benefit is it for a man or woman to keep staying in a marriage that is already technically dead on all levels. undecided

People should be allowed to give a try at happiness again.Today is Sunday I don't want to get angry at all this over religious people. Judgement day will be very interesting .That is when we will know that some things does not really matter .

From my own understanding of the bible, you can't divorce your partner on the grounds of an abusive marriage but you can separate if you feel that it's a threat to your existence. Re-marrying if such happens is adultery.

That's why we must be very careful before committing to marriage. So many of the people that divorce today and marry tomorrow are just wasting their time and the pastors consenting to this are just being foolish.

1 Like

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by sacramento1212: 8:57am On Oct 07, 2018
tosyne2much:
Baba I just dey ooooo.. I go soon bounce back for front page cheesy

cheesy
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by EhisChelsea1(m): 8:59am On Oct 07, 2018
Righteousness89:

Bro Read the Bible with Understanding..

Matthew 19:6-9 is very clear...

V.9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

If you hv to put away your wife, you are not permitted to Marry another woman.

The Bible says Marriage is till death do you part.. The Bible cannot contradict itself..

Death is the the only thing permitted for a man to Re-Marry..

GOD even hates Divorce see Malachi 2:16

Sorry sir but me think u should read d Bible with understanding, comparing Scriptures with scriptures. Read Paul's account of this issue. Read Jesus account of this same issue, den read d old testament account of same issue, *when those who married foreigners were made to put away their wives and den, wives given them from among d Israelites* b4 God's wrath was turn away from them.

Going by wat u teach is synonymous to putting d liberated back into bondage and wicked and unreasonable spouses ve taken advantage of their christian partner to serially abused dem emotionally knowing dat dey will "endure" and be praying fir them to change with time......it js not scriptural.... Its man's doctrine
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by Ghostmode2two(m): 9:01am On Oct 07, 2018
Righteousness89:
Re- Marrying while your spouse is alive is Adultery, No matter who conducts such Marriage.... Infact it's not a marriage.. it's an act of Immorality!

See Matt 19:6-9

If there is a legal divorce any of the spouses can marry again The Bible does not support divorce but on only one condition, which is, when any of them was caught in adultery and the other marriage partner cannot forgive the other in this regard divorce is allowed and they can get married again to another person of their choice as the previous husband must have issued a divorce certificate. if there is no issuance of divorce certificate they cannot marry again
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by bedspread: 9:01am On Oct 07, 2018
sacramento1212:

So are you saying one cannot divorce the spouse on the grounds of adultery?

If u decide to That , you are not Permitted to Re-Marry by The GOD..

1 Like

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by oruma19: 9:03am On Oct 07, 2018
1 corr 7:15.. Make una de read bible and stop repeating and spreading what ur pastor says. Read 1 corr 7:1-end. It deals with marriage issues. If a partner is not ready to stay in a marriage, u are not bound to force them, let them go..u are at liberty to move on. Read the bible if u want to grow
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by bedspread: 9:03am On Oct 07, 2018
Ghostmode2two:

If there is a legal divorce any of the spouses can marry again The Bible does not support divorce but on only one condition, which is, when any of them was caught in adultery and the other marriage partner cannot forgive the other in this regard divorce is allowed and they can get married again to another person of their choice as the previous husband must have issued a divorce certificate. if there is no issuance of divorce certificate they cannot marry again
If you have to divorce, U are not Permitted to Re-marry .

Re-marrying while your Spouse is Adultery..
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by stephmike(m): 9:06am On Oct 07, 2018
Ubenedictus:
That is wrong, a validly married person can't be remarried while their patner is still alive unless he is an unbeliever according to paul.
What of d case of promiscuous act
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by Twoclans(f): 9:06am On Oct 07, 2018
sacramento1212:

From my own understanding of the bible, you can't divorce your partner on the grounds of an abusive marriage but you can separate if you feel that it's a threat to your existence. Re-marrying if such happens is adultery.

That's why we must be very careful before committing to marriage. So many of the people that divorce today and marry tomorrow are just wasting their time and the pastors consenting to this are just being foolish.

The catholic church is one church that finds it very difficult to annul marriages ,I am a catholic and I know that the church is beginning to soft pedal based on current realities. My parish alone has had three annulments this year alone.I was just looking at the priest today when he was preaching against separation and I was asking myself shebi this guy has forgotten so soon.

1 Like

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by princetom1(m): 9:07am On Oct 07, 2018
Righteousness89:
Re- Marrying while your spouse is alive is Adultery, No matter who conducts such Marriage.... Infact it's not a marriage.. it's an act of Immorality!

See Matt 19:6-9

Did u read the last part?
If u can divorce her/him ilon the ground of adultery, then, u are no more bound by any law not to remarry again.
Point is, if u divorce ur spouse (based on adultery only), den u are free to remarry... No one will call u an adulterer after u remarry. Note that u must divorce before u are free to remarry... It's not allowed to just leave ur husband or wife and marry another person, u shoykd go through the proper channel
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by oruma19: 9:07am On Oct 07, 2018
bedspread:
If you have to divorce, U are not Permitted to Re-marry .

Re-marrying while your Spouse is Adultery..
lie...read 1 corr 7:1-end.. Digest vs 15. U are at liberty if a partner refuses to stay. Leave this bondage doctrine u people preach as if Christianity is cultism.

1 Like

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by busco59: 9:08am On Oct 07, 2018
kullozone:
When people start reading a book that contradicts itself... Don't be surprised when their brains start contradicting itselfsmiley
The bible is not a contradictory book just like science, which states that atom can neither be created nor destroyed, but I was also forced to believe that during fission and fussion atoms are created and destroyed, which I go follow.
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by JOHNMASON(m): 9:08am On Oct 07, 2018
Righteousness89:

Bro Read the Bible with Understanding..

Matthew 19:6-9 is very clear...

V.9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

If you hv to put away your wife, you are not permitted to Marry another woman.

The Bible says Marriage is till death do you part.. The Bible cannot contradict itself..

Death is the the only thing permitted for a man to Re-Marry..

GOD even hates Divorce see Malachi 2:16

If I may ask are u married to start with??, there ate things one should not just say for saying sake, do u know what is called Annulment??

2 Likes

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by princetom1(m): 9:08am On Oct 07, 2018
olsome:
The Bible condemns re-marrying when your spouse is still alive; but why do some pastors encourage it?? Are they reading newspaper or the Bible?? Some churches even join couples who have divorced and spouse is still alive..

Read Matthew 19:3 - 9. Maybe u will understand what the Bible teaches on this.
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by Righteousness89(m): 9:12am On Oct 07, 2018
princetom1:

Did u read the last part?
If u can divorce her/him ilon the ground of adultery, then, u are no more bound by any law not to remarry again.
Point is, if u divorce ur spouse (based on adultery only), den u are free to remarry... No one will call u an adulterer after u remarry. Note that u must divorce before u are free to remarry... It's not allowed to just leave ur husband or wife and marry another person, u shoykd go through the proper channel
No bro... are u reading the same bible am Reading?
if you have a Red lettered Bible you will notice that those words were by JESUS HIMSELF..

Matthew 19:9
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by Chineke1stSon: 9:13am On Oct 07, 2018
Even with all the Bible quotations in this thread they are still confused..Christ explicitly said that the ONLY justifiable case for divorce is adultery..which means that if your partner commits adultery, he or she has broken the sacred bond of marriage...and in such case, the partner who was wronged is perfectly right to seek divorce..it is there in black and white...but if you divorce except it be for adultery and then go ahead to remarry then it is a sin..but if you divorce on the grounds of adultery and remarry it is not a sin....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by Righteousness89(m): 9:15am On Oct 07, 2018
JOHNMASON:

If I may ask are u married to start with??, there ate things one should not just say for saying sake, do u know what is called Annulment??
I am Happily Married Sir!
But most of all I Fear GOD ! To Make Heaven at Last is my Greatest Desire..
by HIS Grace I know what is Right And What is Wrong according to the Bible..

Whatever I say is not for saying sake.. Except u are Accusing the Bible.. The Bible is our Guide.. not human Reasoning
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by nigerfine: 9:16am On Oct 07, 2018
moderator......bad heading
WHAT IS 'RE MARRIAGE
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by Pataricatering(f): 9:20am On Oct 07, 2018
Humanity will always win over religion ! Same bible that says you shouldn’t remarry will still say no fornication ! So you marry a terror and proceed to have an unhappy marriage- you divorce then you have to remain celibate without sex nor a companion? It’s all these rubbish irrational dogma that will eventually kill religion ! You can’t subvert the will of humans - it’s just not possible!
olsome:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by Righteousness89(m): 9:21am On Oct 07, 2018
Chineke1stSon:
Even with all the Bible quotations in this thread they are still confused..Christ explicitly said that the ONLY justifiable case for divorce is adultery..which means that if your partner commits adultery, he or she has broken the sacred bond of marriage...and in such case, the partner who was wronged is perfectly right to seek divorce..it is there in black and white...but if you divorce except it be for adultery and then go ahead to remarry then it is a sin..but if you divorce on the grounds of adultery and remarry it is not a sin....

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

What Exactly don't u understand here!
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by onatisi(m): 9:21am On Oct 07, 2018
olsome:

this is a very controverisal question and topic which many bible scholars and pastors have no concise answer to and it seems everyone is just doing what they feel is right and they will avoid answering this question or just ignore the question
Re: Re-marriage When Ones Spouse Is Still Alive.. by vineyardfarms: 9:23am On Oct 07, 2018
Ubenedictus:
civil divorce does not seperate a valid marriage according to Jesus any attempt to remarry is adultery.
WHAT ABOUT ADULTERY? AND UNFAITHFULLNESS AND ABUSE?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

TB Joshua's 55th Birthday: 20 Things To Know About The Prophet / Bola Ajibola: 'After Fasting For 7 Days, All My 35 Students Scored A1 In Maths' / Pastor Paul Adefarasin Composes Note For Wife, Ifeanyi, From Amazing Grace Song

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.