Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:57 AM

Engine Oil Shortage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Oil Shortage (1914 Views)

Urgent Inquiry: Toyota Camry (spider) And Oil Shortage / Solution To Oil Shortage And Smoking Engines / Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Oil Shortage by Mikanoflex(m): 11:08pm On Oct 03, 2018
Good Evening Nairalanders, my Toyota corolla 2008, shorts engine oil after 2months of servicing it, no external leakage seen and no smoking. Please advice me on what to do and i will be most greatful. Thanks
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by dannywest: 2:13am On Oct 04, 2018
Mikanoflex:
Good Evening Nairalanders, my Toyota corolla 2008, shorts engine oil after 2months of servicing it, no external leakage seen and no smoking. Please advice me on what to do and i will be most greatful. Thanks

Check if the oil is milky under the cap or your coolant is oily if yes there's a leak with cooling system, second start the car, open the oil filler cap and put your palm over, if there is pumping (somewhat) then your piston rings have weakened allowing the car burn oil.
My reason last time it happened and I changed engine though they say you can rebuild.
Look under the vehicles too for leaks especially when hot.
The demeanors might know other causes.
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by mayor2013: 7:10am On Oct 04, 2018
Smoke test 101 would reveal if your car smokes grin
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by homeboy205: 8:06am On Oct 04, 2018
Your car is smoking you just don't know... But people tailgating you knows so it's hard Roy you to know... There is another way you can know, Bring the car up to operating temperature, have someone rev the car above 3000 rpm while in Park and while you are staying at the back.. I bet you will see the smoke... If not it's head gasket... Don't buy another engine because of worn out piston ring it can be rebuilt
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by thebigkendo(m): 5:12pm On Oct 04, 2018
Mikanoflex:

Simply top up you engine oil when ever its low.

Just let sleeping dog lie before your case go become "yanga dey sell trouble come wake am"

How low did the oil get?
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by Mikanoflex(m): 7:04pm On Oct 04, 2018
Thanks guys, I decided to be topping the engine oil for now, untin I scan the engine before I can go for repairs. Many thanks
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by Alvin007: 8:23pm On Oct 04, 2018
I’m surprised no one asked this...; ‘What kinda engine oil do you service the car with?
Op...Kindly, answer this�
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by dru23(m): 9:02pm On Oct 04, 2018
Mikanoflex:
Thanks guys, I decided to be topping the engine oil for now, untin I scan the engine before I can go for repairs. Many thanks

I had similar issues with one of car.. The car had been using 5naira kobo engine oil.. I switch to Mobil extended performance 5w30 ,after about two weeks, the oil was shorten between max and empty of the dip stick ...the oil was than topped for the first time.. After two weeks later after topping ,the oil short was very small... Google is ur friend... so Google states that I should check the pcv valves .if the pcv valves is wet ,vacuum the oil out and replace it with a new one.. So I got a new pcv valves, pistons and rings ...I will update you guys with pictures very soon..
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by dru23(m): 9:06pm On Oct 04, 2018
homeboy205:
Your car is smoking you just don't know... But people tailgating you knows so it's hard Roy you to know... There is another way you can know, Bring the car up to operating temperature, have someone rev the car above 3000 rpm while in Park and while you are staying at the back.. I bet you will see the smoke... If not it's head gasket... Don't buy another engine because of worn out piston ring it can be rebuilt

Thank you my brother.. I have the same issues o.. I bought brand new pistons, seals, pcv valves, and pistion rings ..better to replace that first.. But before anything make dey check the pcv valves... I was told that it should be replace at least every 20k miles or so. Between 20k to 50k miles there about... and my car is over 145k miles....
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by dru23(m): 9:32pm On Oct 04, 2018
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by homeboy205: 7:36am On Oct 05, 2018
Sticking pcv valves doesn't take much of your oil like worn out piston rings.. no alarm broda just find a good mech to rebuild for you

dru23:

Thank you my brother.. I have the same issues o.. I bought brand new pistons, seals, pcv valves, and pistion rings ..better to replace that first.. But before anything make dey check the pcv valves... I was told that it should be replace at least every 20k miles or so. Between 20k to 50k miles there about... and my car is over 145k miles....
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by dru23(m): 11:18am On Oct 05, 2018
homeboy205:
Sticking pcv valves doesn't take much of your oil like worn out piston rings.. no alarm broda just find a good mech to rebuild for you

Well I go check am first before I start to replace the pistons seals etc ..like I said before the runs fine, but am not going to wait till the engine knocks before I do something...
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by dru23(m): 11:24am On Oct 05, 2018
homeboy205:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/197&ved=2ahUKEwiQzdeyiu_dAhXSnOAKHcT3Bu8QFjAhegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2jisW2FyjWvUjLlZ5hP50N
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by Mikanoflex(m): 2:21pm On Oct 05, 2018
Alvin007:
I’m surprised no one asked this...; ‘What kinda engine oil do you service the car with?
Op...Kindly, answer this�
. I use quarts 7000 15w50 synthetic oil total
Re: Engine Oil Shortage by Alvin007: 2:40pm On Oct 05, 2018
Mikanoflex:
. I use quarts 7000 15w50 synthetic oil total
Have you ever tried using the recommended engine oil for your car? If ‘yes’, what was the result?

(1) (Reply)

Where Stolen Vehicles End Up / How Often Do You Look In Your Rear View Mirror? / Good Honda Mechanic In Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.