Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,993 members, 7,859,558 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 02:45 PM

Emotional Intelligence 2 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Emotional Intelligence 2 (374 Views)

Is Fluency In English Not Really A Measure Of Intelligence? / AAUA Student Writes Emotional Letter As He Drop Out Over High Fee / What Is Intelligence Quotient (IQ) And How Is It Measured? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emotional Intelligence 2 by pressplay411(m): 7:34am On Oct 04, 2018
Emotions

Emotions simply defined, means feelings.
The emotions we start our day with could determine if we'll have a good day or a horrible day. You hear statements like "I woke up on the right side or wrong side of the bed."
The air of emotions we regularly carry around also determines our perceptions and how we interact with others.

Some basic emotions are Happiness, Sadness, Fear, Courage, Frustration, Enthusiasm, Disgust, Anxiety, Anger, Surprise, Hatred, Love, Jealousy, etc

Emotions are universal. Meaning all humans no matter the race, culture, or gender experience the same emotions. We however express and respond differently to our emotions. While anger could trigger violence in some, it could trigger tears in others. While jealousy could make one simply end a relationship, another person could become "acrimonious". (Beware of Melinda.lol)
In both scenarios, it is the same emotions but different expression- Anger in the former and Jealousy in the latter.

All Emotions are good, as they all serve their various purposes but they can be abused. Even fear and anger are good.
Fear helps us know when our reaction should be Fight or Flight.
Anger is a cue that some thing is wrong.
The best cure for Anger is to ask the person, "Tell me what's wrong."
And the best cure for fear is faith, reassurance.
Our emotions play a major role in our lives, it shapes us and creates our outlook on life.

The ultimate question then becomes, who controls who?
Do you control your emotion or does your emotion control you?

This brings us to Emotional Intelligence. Understanding our emotions.
There are four stages in understanding our emotions, viz

1. Self Awareness
This is the process of understanding your own emotions. Ability to tune in to information that relates to you. This determines your perception of life and situations.

2.. Self Management
This is the process of Self Control and Self Motivation. Ability to shake off bad moods and create good mood.
Ability to carry out necessary tasks even if you don't like them. Ability to bounce back from setbacks. Pysching yourself up!

3. Social Awareness
This is the process of being conscious and understanding the emotions of others. How your mood and actions affect others, like wise how other people's mood and actions affect you.

4. Interpersonal Expertise
This is the state of conscious competence. You have a good control of your emotions and the emotions of others. Ability to relate with others, work out conflicts,  give and take criticisms, take consensus and communicate well. Everyone loves to be around people like this, they make the best uncles and bosses.lol They are Confident, Tenacious, Optimistic and Enthusiastic.

You start to wonder, if understanding our emotions is so important how come we were never taught?
Unfortunately our education system focuses on Intelligence Quotient, building our academic intelligence but pays little or no attention to our Emotional Quotient, building our emotional intelligence.

However, it is just as practical as making a deliberate effort to build ourselves emotionally.

How To Build Your Emotional Intelligence
1.Learn to Listen to how you talk to yourself
2. Use your thoughts as instructional self-statements.
3. Be aware of your intentions
4. Observe your actions.
5. Learn to Relax - on cue
6. Generate Humour
7. Become a good problem solver
8. Practise the power of positive criticism
9. Listen to the message of emotions
10. Make tasks underwhelming.

One who masters his emotions, masters his world.

1 Like

Re: Emotional Intelligence 2 by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 04, 2018
Great thread

Easier said than done sha
Re: Emotional Intelligence 2 by pressplay411(m): 8:24am On Oct 04, 2018
HaileSelassie:
Great thread

Easier said than done sha

Lol it always starts with a first step and an intentional focus and determination to reach the destination.
But I always advise to start spiritually. Get things right with God first, the rest becomes easier.
Re: Emotional Intelligence 2 by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 04, 2018
pressplay411:

Lol it always starts with a first step and an intentional focus and determination to reach the destination.
But I always advise to start spiritually. Get things right with God first, the rest becomes easier.

True!
I know that my emotional intelligence needs a revamp! I could relate with everything you wrote. Sometimes I feel I've been too far from God, overridden his mercies, like he's given me countless opportunities to make things right, so I just leave myself to chance and fate.

Is it possible to be close to God and still have to deal with unfortunate social habits? Is God aware I'm only human? I have an idea of the kinda life that pleases God, but it seem so impossible to live that lifestyle! Like I'm too far off or something.. Life's hard!
Re: Emotional Intelligence 2 by pressplay411(m): 8:46am On Oct 04, 2018
HaileSelassie:

True!
I know that my emotional intelligence needs a revamp! I could relate with everything you wrote. Sometimes I feel I've been too far from God, overridden his mercies, like he's given me countless opportunities to make things right, so I just leave myself to chance and fate.

Is it possible to be close to God and still have to deal with unfortunate social habits? Is God aware I'm only human? I have an idea of the kinda life that pleases God, but it seem so impossible to live that lifestyle! Like I'm too far off or something.. Life's hard!

Truth is we put too much pressure on ourselves.
God is a patient God. He understands our weaknesses.
Christianity is a journey, Eternal life is the destination.
God doesn't mandate or expect us to perfect in a day or week or year. Even the pastor is not yet perfect.
It's just the heart that matters. In the sincerity of your heart, you have to choose to be living right.
Being a Christian empowers you with righteousness.
Even when you fall to sin, you receive the strength not to fall again.
God is a patient God, if He has been so patient while we were living and loving sin, how much more patient now that we are loving and pursuing righteousness.

When I gave my life to Christ and became born-again I was still drinking and sexually immoral among other things.
But the more I grew in understanding and love for Christ, I decided I wanted to stop the habits and one by one He gave me strength to overcome them.
His Grace covers all sins.
Unfortunately some still choose to use the Grace to continue destroying themselves in sin when it was given to Empower us over sin.

You just choose to start. To rededicate yoirself to Christ. To follow and learn of Christ afresh. You'll fall in love with Him all over again.
God bless you sir.

(1) (Reply)

Shell Undergraduate Scholarship, How To Apply For 1 Million / Apply Now: University Of Sydney International Scholarships (usydis) / A Rejoinder Re- Bishop Nwokolo And Rest Of Us By Nnatuanya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.