Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:51 AM

What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage (1943 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Is A Common Criminal – Arewa Youth Leader On Arrest Of IPOB Leader / Asari Dokubo: Sanusi Is A Common Thief, A Liar. Should Be Sent To Prison (Video) / Junaid Mohammed: Sanusi’s Lineage Can Never Become Emir Of Kano Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by SimplePlan34: 9:46pm On Oct 04, 2018
Please permit me to share an insight we were taught by renowned West African historians at the then University of Ife, Ile Ife in the 1980s, regarding the 'modern' history of the Yoruba and Igbo: that the Igbo and Yoruba were the same people until about 6000 years ago!

As astonishing as that may seem, this academic thesis was supported by linguistic evidence, although I doubt if this line of research has been continued over the last four decades.

What I am further aware of, however, is attributable to serendipity. As it happened, an amateur linguist (he was actually an American-trained pharmacist) who was our neighbour in Lagos in the 1980s regularly shared with us excitedly, findings from a self-funded study he was conducting on the Yoruba and Ibo languages. Having no academic training in linguistics and totally unaware of what university-educated historians knew, he boldly declared that he had stumbled on linguistic evidence that Yoruba and Ibo were actually from the same 'root' language. This gentleman, an Ibo, was working on a book about this at the time. I do not know if he ever got round to publishing it, as it would be a delight to read what he uncovered from his study.

At the time, his taxonomy of Yoruba and Ibo words that appeared to come from similar root words was fascinating. I clearly remember words like 'Onu' (Igbo) and 'Enu' (Yoruba) both meaning 'mouth'; 'Akuko' and 'Okuko' which both refer to 'Cock'; 'Iba' which translates to 'fever' in both languages and so many other words I cannot immediately recall. Linguists who are well-trained to practise such language games would, of course, know how to explain the exercise he was doing.

Apart from the possibility that Yorubas and Igbos may actually share a common lineage dating thousands of years, one thought that has always stayed with me is this: if this theory were to be empirically proven linguistically, what could this mean for cultural, social and political relations? What about its implications for political integration in Nigeria? What could it mean for the deconstruction of the seeming ethnicisation of politics or put differently, the politicisation of ethnicity by sections of the Nigerian political elite? Surely, a proven thesis of common genealogy between Yorubas and Ibos could have profound implications for the way they see each other. It would be good to see such research funded and published.

From yinka oduwole in Facebook
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by xbernardx(m): 9:47pm On Oct 04, 2018
All the tribal war on nairaland will stop, and we will have a more peaceful community

85% of the tribal war on nairaland is between igbos and yorubas

Please include the link to your source for credibility
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by EmekaMD(m): 9:50pm On Oct 04, 2018
undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by chiefolododo(m): 9:50pm On Oct 04, 2018
We don't hate the Igbos ,it is just that they can be stubborn at times

1 Like

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by SimplePlan34: 9:52pm On Oct 04, 2018
xbernardx:
All the tribal war on nairaland will stop, and we will have a more peaceful community

85% of the tribal war on nairaland is between igbos and yorubas

Please include the link to your source for credibility

It was from a guy commenting on Reno omokiri article about ijebu ppl
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by AlhajaChinyere: 9:53pm On Oct 04, 2018
Awon olori pelebe tun ti bere!

4 Likes

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by amaniro: 9:54pm On Oct 04, 2018
shocked

Fact!

Most of our beloved "Unrepentant tribalist" here on naira land are all fakes

just to get cheap likes,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by SimplePlan34: 9:57pm On Oct 04, 2018
AlhajaChinyere:

OMOOLUABI ni mi oo.
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by sherrylo: 10:08pm On Oct 04, 2018
Hunn
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by BabaRamota1980: 10:09pm On Oct 04, 2018
Tttwwueeh!! God forbid!
What an abomination thought.

OP watch yaself angry angry angry angry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by conductor120: 10:13pm On Oct 04, 2018
God forbid.

How can the useless writer finish looking at fine, almost halfcast Biafran angels and have the guts to compare us to the fallen demon sky descendant cum smeagol down there? Isi emebiri gi?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 04, 2018
SimplePlan34:
Please permit me to share an insight we were taught by renowned West African historians at the then University of Ife, Ile Ife in the 1980s, regarding the 'modern' history of the Yoruba and Igbo: that the Igbo and Yoruba were the same people until about 6000 years ago!

As astonishing as that may seem, this academic thesis was supported by linguistic evidence, although I doubt if this line of research has been continued over the last four decades.

What I am further aware of, however, is attributable to serendipity. As it happened, an amateur linguist (he was actually an American-trained pharmacist) who was our neighbour in Lagos in the 1980s regularly shared with us excitedly, findings from a self-funded study he was conducting on the Yoruba and Ibo languages. Having no academic training in linguistics and totally unaware of what university-educated historians knew, he boldly declared that he had stumbled on linguistic evidence that Yoruba and Ibo were actually from the same 'root' language. This gentleman, an Ibo, was working on a book about this at the time. I do not know if he ever got round to publishing it, as it would be a delight to read what he uncovered from his study.

At the time, his taxonomy of Yoruba and Ibo words that appeared to come from similar root words was fascinating. I clearly remember words like 'Onu' (Igbo) and 'Enu' (Yoruba) both meaning 'mouth'; 'Akuko' and 'Okuko' which both refer to 'Cock'; 'Iba' which translates to 'fever' in both languages and so many other words I cannot immediately recall. Linguists who are well-trained to practise such language games would, of course, know how to explain the exercise he was doing.

Apart from the possibility that Yorubas and Igbos may actually share a common lineage dating thousands of years, one thought that has always stayed with me is this: if this theory were to be empirically proven linguistically, what could this mean for cultural, social and political relations? What about its implications for political integration in Nigeria? What could it mean for the deconstruction of the seeming ethnicisation of politics or put differently, the politicisation of ethnicity by sections of the Nigerian political elite? Surely, a proven thesis of common genealogy between Yorubas and Ibos could have profound implications for the way they see each other. It would be good to see such research funded and published.

0monnak0da will not be happy with this grin

CC onyeoga madridguy buhariguy omenka shalomc iceberg3 yarimo odvanguard pointzerom t9ksy imperialyoruba odvanguard yorubaassasin alariiwo lzaa ngeneukwenu captaing00d roger3d IbrahimDamola jumpandpas greenback amarabae tossie101 goodnessme1 Bagehot

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by SimplePlan34: 10:19pm On Oct 04, 2018
Look ppl am not interested in ur political bashing just pure historical inquest.
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Nobody: 10:22pm On Oct 04, 2018
SimplePlan34:

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by ifex370(m): 10:53pm On Oct 04, 2018
Of course we share the same lineage you retards...

What else were you thinking? Dullards

1 Like

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Nobody: 10:55pm On Oct 04, 2018
AlhajaChinyere:
Afonja Jew spotted

6 Likes

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by WawaIPODJew: 10:57pm On Oct 04, 2018
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Obdk: 11:08pm On Oct 04, 2018
God forbid me ve anything to do with conehead afonja jews

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Presidiotbuhari: 12:12am On Oct 05, 2018
This is more or less like abormination for one to assume/ infere that the Great Igbo tribe shere common ancestory with Yorubas.
Even a mere glance at both tribe is sufficient enough to reveal the chasm that exist between both tribe. It is even more sensible to say that Yorubas share common ancestory with hausa fulanis than Igbos, given that they bear thesame tribal marks like fulanis, share cultural affinity with them. Are majority (78%) muslim like them, are poligamous like them, practice a monachical system of governance like them . Meanwhile Igbos are totally oposite of all these fact i listed about Yoruba hausa fulani ancestral connection.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by baby124: 1:15am On Oct 05, 2018
They do have a common ancestry. Though Igbo people mixed with Cameroonian tribes at some point.
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by KanwuliaExtra: 1:39am On Oct 05, 2018
They share many already.
The most obvious is the heritage of TRIBALISM.
You find the most venomous, ethnic bigots in the EASTERN and WESTERN parts of Nigeria.
FACT! kiss

2 Likes

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by 1Sharon(f): 2:04am On Oct 05, 2018
KanwuliaExtra:
They share many already.
The most obvious is the heritage of TRIBALISM.
You find the most venomous, ethnic bigots in the EASTERN and WESTERN parts of Nigeria.
FACT! kiss

Edo nko?

1 Like

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by KanwuliaExtra: 2:06am On Oct 05, 2018
1Sharon:

Edo nko?

Not the topic in ? cool
Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by BrownRoofRep: 2:10am On Oct 05, 2018
What sort of insult is this? Sharing common ancestry with Afonja ewedu eating hypocritical fallen demons?

I reject this abeg.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by ykalhaji(m): 2:15am On Oct 05, 2018
off course we share the same lineage. We are both located in the same Geographic area and have the same DNA nomenclature.

1 Like

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Peacemaker5128: 2:30am On Oct 05, 2018
Aggressive idiotic
Flatron
Baby factory
Drug pusher
Ritualistic
Kidnapping

Armed robbery

Ibo amakaculistic

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Nobody: 4:06am On Oct 05, 2018
SimplePlan34:
[s]Please permit me to share an insight we were taught by renowned West African historians at the then University of Ife, Ile Ife in the 1980s, regarding the 'modern' history of the Yoruba and Igbo: that the Igbo and Yoruba were the same people until about 6000 years ago!

From yinka oduwole in Facebook[/s]
Igbos share blood with Yoruba? You want to cause another civil war? Igbos will never ever share blood with yorubas. I know that's what you people want, but it never ever ever ever happen! And pls don't boil Igbo beautiful blood by ever saying this again. Jesus!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Nobody: 4:08am On Oct 05, 2018
Reading positive comments above by Yorubas show they so much want to be Igbo or be related to Igbo. That's why they will die to marry Igbo women to get that blood mixed with themselves, they watch and follow more Igbo/Biafran news more than Biafrans themselves. Sorry afonaas Igbos will not accept you people. Afonjas, stay on your afonjas, how difficult this? Igbos have said repeatedly they don't like you people because of your treachery and wickedness. Awolowo starved 3.5 million Igbos to death out of envy, For God in Heaven!

4 Likes

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by devindevin2000: 4:16am On Oct 05, 2018
Difference is clear like light and darkness!

3 Likes

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by hyfr(m): 5:06am On Oct 05, 2018
Igbo people get bad mouth.
But we are 1 Nigeria. SS SE NE NW SW etc

1 Like

Re: What If Yoruba And Igbo Share A Common Lineage by Nobody: 5:12am On Oct 05, 2018
Igbos, what is wrong with Yoruba you don't want them? Pls accept them

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking: Gov. Rochas Okorocha Decamps From APC To AA / Buhari Did Not Vote APC / BENUE NEWS; Man Treks To Makurdi To Congratulate Ortom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.