Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,440 members, 7,830,206 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 - Travel (290) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 (871233 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (546) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by itisco(m): 8:55pm On Mar 09, 2019
Frankrobbn1:

I am glad you heed to my advice. You can start now by working hard towards graduating with a good CGPA so you can be able to secure a Master's admission for yourself when the time comes. I wish you the very best in your academics.

I will��
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Mykaelolalekan: 9:09pm On Mar 09, 2019
Please I need help. My bank statement with my landed documents are 35 pages approximately 16 MB. I have tried to compress it to 4 MB required but the quality is poor. Please can someone help
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Awuuga: 9:14pm On Mar 09, 2019
No I don’t. Tuition varies from school to school. The only certainty is the living cost for a year wihich is 10,000CAD or 11,000 CAD (if your school is in Quebec).

Identify a school that offers the program you’ll like to study and find out how much their tuition fees are. That way you have a clearer picture of the financial involvement.

itisco:

Thanks bro.
Do you have any idea the figure it's going to cost for tuition and all other fees? Just a rough estimate will be highly appreciated.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Awuuga: 9:16pm On Mar 09, 2019
Please those who plan on travelling to and through Ethiopia via Ethiopia airlines are expected to declare the funds on them at Addis Ababa Bole International airport or risk having your money seized. I heard it on the radio and I thought to share.

Source:-Federal Ministry of Information.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by DMerciful(m): 9:25pm On Mar 09, 2019
Scan to JPEG,paste on word document and save to PDF web publisher. To do this click save as PDF and check the web check box. Mine pages were up to 42 pages and it was compressed to about 3mb and it was clear
Mykaelolalekan:
Please I need help. My bank statement with my landed documents are 35 pages approximately 16 MB. I have tried to compress it to 4 MB required but the quality is poor. Please can someone help

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Awuuga: 9:25pm On Mar 09, 2019
Use ilovepdfdotcome to compress files. Word is its the best PDF compressing tool. it reduces smaller than the rest and also allows you an opportunty to choose the quality of the document you want.

Mykaelolalekan:

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Andrepete: 9:25pm On Mar 09, 2019
makano:
Did u apply through the Ontario colleges portal or the conestoga student portal?

I applied through the Ontario college portal.....
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by opeyusuf: 9:27pm On Mar 09, 2019
bayocanny:

What's the name of this school?

Memorial University Canada
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by johnsonsegxy: 9:32pm On Mar 09, 2019
Naijaforeigner:

Paper route (if you are applying in Nigeria) = Yes, Online = No

If you are applying in United Kingdom via paper or online route, you will NOT submit your passport unless requested by CIC.

Please check conditions of the country you are based.

Thanks bro!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Deelaw13(m): 9:36pm On Mar 09, 2019
Good day everyone...pls I’m new here and would like to start an application to memorial university Newfoundland Canada..I would appreciate if someone can take me through the process or if there are other persons intending on applying to the school too..thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Bracha: 9:46pm On Mar 09, 2019
Hi,

I’ve sent a reply.

Take care

Naijaforeigner:

Ok will respond to you via mail now.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Bracha: 9:49pm On Mar 09, 2019
Hi,

Naijaforeigner has replied you. That was exactly what i’d have said.

Good luck.

Timothyphillips:

@bracha... Thanks but if my visa comes out for the certificate course I have to travel to Canada by September but the masters program starts in January what would I be doing from September to January in Canada.
Response please
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Nobody: 9:59pm On Mar 09, 2019
makano:
I have not.. its not yet the appointment time.. What about You, any progress from ur side?

Applied for my gcms note for now...wen it's out....then I will know wat to do next
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by makano: 10:16pm On Mar 09, 2019
You should have gotten it then.. send an email to their international office.. InternationalAdmissions@conestogac.on.ca
Andrepete:

I applied through the Ontario college portal.....
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by nua07: 10:19pm On Mar 09, 2019
Mykaelolalekan:

You can as well generate Estatement (ticket) through your internet banking which is just a one page document. That way, the pages of your application will be reduced
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by makano: 10:51pm On Mar 09, 2019
Ok.. Buh hope you have applied for an appointment tho? if you have not better do now... Applied for an appointment January and got April for my upfront Medicals..
042viber12:

Applied for my gcms note for now...wen it's out....then I will know wat to do next
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Nobody: 11:49pm On Mar 09, 2019
makano:
Ok.. Buh hope you have applied for an appointment tho? if you have not better do now... Applied for an appointment January and got April for my upfront Medicals..

Pls gimme their number, lemme do dat ASAP on Monday
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by sleekysoft(m): 12:32am On Mar 10, 2019
To be honest it’s very demanding , I got here on Wednesday and I just had the longest and decent sleep today
Adjusting to the time difference, weather (-18) my nose bleeding, skin dried etc and even good.. in 3 days I had met with supervisor, gotten school ID card, open bank account, meeting with the school rep.. Trust me 24 hours not enough here.. no wonder people cook their for for a week and store up in freezer which in 9ja it’s different..
I sure will be back to contribute when I am fully settled..

NB—please those who have reached out I didn’t ignore please just send messages again and to SoP reviews I will get it done ASAP ...

I think lag people will fit into here perfectly

Naijaforeigner:

lol, I dey tell you. I posted something about having issues with my study permit on this forum in January, you wont believe about 3 people already in Canada on this forum contacted me via mail to tell me they have similar issues, asking me how did I sort it out and I am like why did you not say it here so that others coming to Canada can learn and avoid it?

If there is any information that can help people before you leave Nigeria and when you get to Canada, drop it here as you cannot tell who you would be helping with such information. Jobs, accommodation, studies, just drop it here.

Everyone is busy, Education in Canada is demanding, i hardly respond to mails because i have a lot to do but we can always drop helpful information openly once in a while and move on.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Naijaforeigner: 2:40am On Mar 10, 2019
sleekysoft:
To be honest it’s very demanding , I got here on Wednesday and I just had the longest and decent sleep today
Adjusting to the time difference, weather (-18) my nose bleeding, skin dried etc and even good.. in 3 days I had met with supervisor, gotten school ID card, open bank account, meeting with the school rep.. Trust me 24 hours not enough here.. no wonder people cook their for for a week and store up in freezer which in 9ja it’s different..
I sure will be back to contribute when I am fully settled..

NB—please those who have reached out I didn’t ignore please just send messages again and to SoP reviews I will get it done ASAP ...

I think lag people will fit into here perfectly

Welcome bruv. Yeah it is and your body needs to adjust to the time difference. I struggled with sleep for weeks. You said your nose is bleeding grin you are lucky the weather is better now. My nose was bleeding in January.

About Nairaland, I think the way I have done mine is I don't respond to PMs again except it is very important (just finished midterm exams, final exams are coming and workload is crazy at the moment) and honestly, most questions have been answered. When I am on holidays (Easter/Fall), I can help review SOP's/LOE's and do other stuff. So for the time being, I just post here, choose what I respond to, drop relevant information and leave.

The point is, when we find anything that may be helpful to people coming from Nigeria (POE experience, accomodation, jobs and so forth), lets drop the info here so they can learn and make the best choices.

A mistake was made on my study permit at the POE that cost me almost 4 months without work, I shared my experience. That is a big deal because I had to pay rent (first and last month and subsequent months), eat, buy mattress and spring box and other stuff. I have spent nothing less than 1.5M naira. Imagine if I did not have that much money on me? This abroad life wey be say na all man for himself? who go give person food? na indomie plus tea I chop for Christmas day grin We can't complain, we chose this life.
Stories of others will help people coming to be better prepared, make informed choices and avoid mistakes.

I wish everyone that has gotten student visas on this forum can mention their colleges or universities and share experiences as international students, reason why they think Nigerians should or should not attend such colleges or universities and opportunities for jobs in that city or province.

Knowledge can only be retained when shared. Getting the visa is the first step, settling down when you arrive is hard work.

Welcome once again bro and may this Land favour us all.

11 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by JustMellow: 9:12am On Mar 10, 2019
sillysassysally:
Hi everyone,

Please I have a quick question to ask regarding proof of financial capacity;

My sponsor has the bulk of her money across different liquid investments (ranging from a Eurobond mutual fund (domiciled in USD) to investments in stocks. There is barely any money in her bank account apart from money used to run basic day-to-day expenses. Is she expected to liquidate her investments ahead of my application for a study permit?

P.S. Mutual funds take at most T+2 days to liquidate while stocks can be liquidated as soon as one is able to sell the shares they have.

Since the close amount is insufficient, I will assume also that the inflow and outflow won't be huge as due to the significance of the account been meant for only daily basic needs.

Its advisable your sponsor liquidate one of the investment to build the account for a sufficient balance enough to cover your first semester/year tuition fees plus living expenses as well your sponsor's family/personal needs.

All been said, the other investment certificate/document can be use to complement the bank statement for more financial credibility of proof of funds likewise also showing relevant documents that strongly shows "source(s) of funds"
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by JustMellow: 9:33am On Mar 10, 2019
nija4us:
Hello, Please if a Nigerian student has a USA visa and decides to travel to USA to apply via paper route from USA because of the shorter processing time, will it be accepted as legal?

I guess you on a visiting visa which is totally a red flag except you have other legal status of either a work, resident, or study permit; then you can go ahead. Irrespective of the processing time, its more sagely to apply in Nigeria than applying in the US with a visiting visa
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Timothyphillips: 9:56am On Mar 10, 2019
Naijaforeigner:

I think you should have gotten your masters offer by August or September for winter admission. All you will do is just notify CIC via your account that you have changed school .

If your masters admission does not come out by September and you are 100% sure you will get the offer before the year runs out, you can defer the college admission till January (as a back up plan while you wait for the masters, also it will allow you to get your money back from the college).

This is March, there is still plenty of time, get your visa for college first.

P.S You can travel to Canada anytime before your visa expires. When you get to POE, you will get a study permit for the length of your program.

Thanks alot it's actually a Certificate Course and a Masters Degree both in University of Regina... Are you saying I just notify CIC of change of Program or no need to.
Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Timothyphillips: 10:17am On Mar 10, 2019
Naijaforeigner:

Welcome bruv. Yeah it is and your body needs to adjust to the time difference. I struggled with sleep for weeks. You said your nose is bleeding grin you are lucky the weather is better now. My nose was bleeding in January.

About Nairaland, I think the way I have done mine is I don't respond to PMs again except it is very important (just finished midterm exams, final exams are coming and workload is crazy at the moment) and honestly, most questions have been answered. When I am on holidays (Easter/Fall), I can help review SOP's/LOE's and do other stuff. So for the time being, I just post here, choose what I respond to, drop relevant information and leave.

The point is, when we find anything that may be helpful to people coming from Nigeria (POE experience, accomodation, jobs and so forth), lets drop the info here so they can learn and make the best choices.

A mistake was made on my study permit at the POE that cost me almost 4 months without work, I shared my experience. That is a big deal because I had to pay rent (first and last month and subsequent months), eat, buy mattress and spring box and other stuff. I have spent nothing less than 1.5M naira. Imagine if I did not have that much money on me? This abroad life wey be say na all man for himself? who go give person food? na indomie plus tea I chop for Christmas day grin We can't complain, we chose this life.
Stories of others will help people coming to be better prepared, make informed choices and avoid mistakes.

I wish everyone that has gotten student visas on this forum can mention their colleges or universities and share experiences as international students, reason why they think Nigerians should or should not attend such colleges or universities and opportunities for jobs in that city or province.

Knowledge can only be retained when shared. Getting the visa is the first step, settling down when you arrive is hard work.

Welcome once again bro and may this Land favour us all.

@Naijaforeigner @bracha and every other person out there... I just want to say Thank you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by itisco(m): 10:22am On Mar 10, 2019
Awuuga:
No I don’t. Tuition varies from school to school. The only certainty is the living cost for a year wihich is 10,000CAD or 11,000 CAD (if your school is in Quebec).

Identify a school that offers the program you’ll like to study and find out how much their tuition fees are. That way you have a clearer picture of the financial involvement.

I get that. Thank you

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by nija4us: 10:26am On Mar 10, 2019
Thanks a lot.

JustMellow:

I guess you on a visiting visa which is totally a red flag except you have other legal status of either a work, resident, or study permit; then you can go ahead. Irrespective of the processing time, its more sagely to apply in Nigeria than applying in the US with a visiting visa
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by nija4us: 10:27am On Mar 10, 2019
Thanks a lot.
Frankrobbn1:

If you don't have a legal status in the US (Valid work permit, permanent resident, citizenship or study visa). You're expected to return back to your home country and apply for your Canadian study permit. Failure to do so, your application will be accessed based on your Immigration status in country of residence and your ties to US instead of your home country, which will be considered weak.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by sillysassysally(f): 12:10pm On Mar 10, 2019
Thanks for your reply...

So the way it works is that when my sponsor earns money, she usually just transfers the portion she wants to save to her mutual fund account (since that yields better interest as opposed to just keeping it in her bank account). So in terms of inflow and outflow, that is high. However the closing balance isnt much at all.

For more context, my tuition has already been covered 100%, the only money we are showing now is just for living expenses (my program is just for one year).

JustMellow:

Since the close amount is insufficient, I will assume also that the inflow and outflow won't be huge as due to the significance of the account been meant for only daily basic needs.

Its advisable your sponsor liquidate one of the investment to build the account for a sufficient balance enough to cover your first semester/year tuition fees plus living expenses as well your sponsor's family/personal needs.

All been said, the other investment certificate/document can be use to complement the bank statement for more financial credibility of proof of funds likewise also showing relevant documents that strongly shows "source(s) of funds"
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by hilaryxoxo(f): 12:32pm On Mar 10, 2019
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by gatsbym4(m): 12:55pm On Mar 10, 2019
Frankrobbn1:

Yes you can. Although not to be used as primary proof of financial support.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Naijaforeigner: 1:29pm On Mar 10, 2019
Timothyphillips:

Thanks alot it's actually a Certificate Course and a Masters Degree both in University of Regina... Are you saying I just notify CIC of change of Program or no need to.
Thanks

Graduate certificate course right?

Bracha already told you to apply for visa with the admission you have with the college instead of waiting for masters winter admission of which you dont know when you will get it. I support that Idea.

OR

Call UoR and ask when they will start sending offers for winter 2020 masters admission. This will guide you whether to wait or just apply for visa with your current offer letter from college.

If you end up applying with your college offer letter, when you get your visa (by then your masters offer should have been out), you can change schools but you need to inform CIC via your account. Changing school even after you get your visa is allowed. If CIC gives you visa based on School A but you change your mind and go to school B, you just need to inform CIC via your account.

I would suggest that if you dont have the masters offer letter by end of this month, you go ahead and apply or visa with your college LOA because you need to give CIC at enough time to process your visa .
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Derring: 2:07pm On Mar 10, 2019
Gurus in the house, which flight can I fly from Abuja to ontario Canada and price range
Urgent response pls
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Niyibamo(m): 3:11pm On Mar 10, 2019
Deelaw13:
Good day everyone...pls I’m new here and would like to start an application to memorial university Newfoundland Canada..I would appreciate if someone can take me through the process or if there are other persons intending on applying to the school too..thanks

I applied and I've been offered admission. How may I be of help?

(1) (2) (3) ... (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) ... (546)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 / Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.