Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,815 members, 7,810,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend (23063 Views)

Some Courses And Their Place Of Work In Nigeria / Al-hikmah University Welcomes Application To Some Courses at 233 -253k / School Abroad For Free-see How Others Did It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by nams77: 11:44am On Oct 09, 2018
Starting from scratch,to me, would be a complete waste of time. Get your PhD from either a Nigerian university or some other universities outside Europe or America.shikena! Afterall my much esteemed Dean then got his from one Chinese university

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by engrfcuksmtin(m): 12:11pm On Oct 09, 2018
asuustrike1:

Op is just adamant. He insist on studying abroad especially Europe or America.
Then he not ready to obtain PhD.
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Iscoalarcon: 12:21pm On Oct 09, 2018
rtdCivilservant:

let him go and change his undergraduate grade from 2.2 to 2.1. sounds funny and impossible? but this is Nigeria where everything that is thinkable is possible. I know a whole lot of people that have done this. when I mean change I mean genuinely pimping some of his grades that will shoot him to 2.1 without any trace. But come o, why u come use ur friend de lie while na u this kasala de befall.
my brother this is corruption na crycry
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by ify1234: 12:45pm On Oct 09, 2018
pimper24:
A masters degree holder friend of mine has regretted not joining the band .wagon way back in his undergrad days to buy marks in some of his courses, an act popularly known as sorting. According to him, a GPA of 2.80 still hunts him years after he graduated even when he managed to get a masters degree abroad. A PhD has actuality become an up hill task with most of the schools turning town his applications after paying huge application fees.

The crop of American schools subject him to GRE and other funny tests (of course not TOEFL/ IELTS, he makes good grades) that at times make him sit exams with people too young to be his children, then a mail regretting not offering him admissions. He needs a doctorate degree due to a career part he is craving for. For the schools in Nigeria, his course has got few professionals around and the fear of spending years for a three year program scares him stiff.

He has excellent research proposals and even wrote a proposal for someone I know that is presently in one of the top schools in the US. He has a midas touch and a professional in his area. The surprising this is that he made a distinction in his masters degree, but all the schools where he applied for phdin America and Canada and even Australia and NZ keep complaining of his undergrad. Crop of Canadian prospective supervisors he will manage to get in touch with will advise him out rightly not to continue applying and for US, a regret letter readily awaits him after a rigorous applications and fees. They actually mention the undergrad.

Also according to him, the 2.2 level grade is due mainly to some unfortunate incidents that befell him in school. A lecturer accused him of not buying his handout and swore to make him fail, which threat the lecturer effectively carried out. That was his first carryover. GST causes, two results got missing and no help in view, 2nd and 3rd carryover. Then the big bang, 400 level, he almost dropped out due to hard times and missed a whole semester, he managed to write the exam and bagged an f, 3rd carryover, and finally got sick and missed exam at 400 level 5th carryover. I personally know this guy as a very brilliant fellow ( at least for him to finish with a 2.2 despite these unfortunate incidents and without any extra year).

He is really downcast and heart broken. I have advised him to check schools in Nigeria, China, Malaysia (where he got his masters) etc if he must go abroad again for his PhD but he insisted on going to Europe or America.

I wouldn't know if anyone has a better advise.

This is not true, you don't have a PhD position yet is not because of your first degree CGPA. It is just because there are not many PhD offers these days to cater for the huge number of applicants. So these days it is very competitive, Professors get emails on daily basis from students.

I had first class from a Naija Uni and also distinction from an European Uni for my masters but I only got a PhD offer after like 43 different applications.

Many of my friends encountered the same, some got positions and some are still yet to get one.

Just know it is overly difficult these days and not necessarily what you think, is the only problem. Continue applying till something happens.

4 Likes

Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by baqina(m): 1:30pm On Oct 09, 2018
Nairaland is just a funny place. Some people without solution nor experience come out to proffer something.. Haha, someone with ssce even has ideas on PhD.... Odiegwu.

@Op, USA has over 200 universities and community colleges.It seems your friend is focusing on d top schools,he should try d middle and lower schools.

Admission in US is highly competitive.. He should keep on searching and send more applications or apply for another MSc (I will strongly suggest that).

2 Likes

Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 2:17pm On Oct 09, 2018
asuustrike1:

Didn't you read were they rejected him because of his b.sc result?

I don't speak on issues or topics I have little knowledge on.

There are 4 areas or components that are considered for Masters Admission in most top schools;
1) Academic Background
2) GRE or GMAT Score
3) Statement of Purpose
4) Interview/Fit (he's African and by default a minority so can easily check this box)

Now, if he's GRE or GMAT score is low or average, he will get rejected based on a poor academic background but if with a 2:2 he's able to get very high test scores, then he can write an LOE mentioning that he had challenges during his undergraduate studies but has since overcome it doing bla bla bla and his recent test scores buttresses this point.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 09, 2018
maiyee:
I just discovered that my 200level second semester result was miscalculated, like about 20points was not added. Please is there anything that can be done about it? I'm presently in my final year second semester.

visit the exam office there and lodqe your complaint(s).
all students' results are on system, your's included.
so, the exam officer in charqe would rectify the error. That's if it's qenuine.

Don't waste time on this, qet this done promptly.
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Amalekki: 2:26pm On Oct 09, 2018
Processor01:

There are 4 areas or components that are considered for Masters Admission in most top schools;
1) Academic Background
2) GRE or GMAT Score
3) Statement of Purpose
4) Fit (he's African and by default a minority so can easily check this box)

Now, if he's GRE or GMAT score is low or average, he will get rejected based on a poor academic background but if with a 2:2 he's able to get very high test scores, then he can write an LOE mentioning that he had challenges during his undergraduate studies but has since overcome it doing bla bla bla and his recent test scores buttresses this point.
This I know for sure!
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 09, 2018
vanndubi:
He should be regretting not studying hard enough as he is doing now.

Modified:

Why would he paint it as if people that graduated with 1st class and 2.1 sorted? He failed himself by not working hard then.

He learn to live with his 2.2 restrictions and advise younger ones to work hard and avoid his fate.

Modified 2:

I don't know the university you graduated from. But where I graduated from (FUTO), 1st class/ 2.1 are sound. You can take that to Aberdeen.

I read of his excuses. The don't hold water- A lecturer accused him of not buying his handout. He didn't tell us if he actually bought the said handout and Mr lecturer said otherwise.

Some of us had challenges too. But we re-doubled our effort to make up for the shortcomings.

There are some people when they get an A, they said "I get A" but when they get an F, they would say " they give me F". The guy should just accept his limitations, everybody cannot be PhD holders.

quy, mahn, dude or whatever!
first class or 2:1, quess you qraduated with one of them?!
you really had to reqard this dude with this epic sarcasm?!
you think you're any better?!
even if you qraduated with 1st class asterisk, you never had to be callously anathemizinq to this dude. You possess no such riqht!

you have quts, u know?!
quess thinqs went smooth for you back at school, that's what warranted your puerile audaciousness.
you seems to be devoid of experience, and this "dearth" miqht come bite you eventually.

This world, life, is so complex, you know?!

who cares about whom you are?! cares whether you're a 1st class or 2:1 holder??!
so it's been quaranteed that 2:2 holder won't qo places? it's been quaranteed they won't soar much hiqher than you!

"Fata Morgana". Keep wriqqlinq and jiqqlinq in that!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 09, 2018
jesmond3945:
if you think phd is not worth it, I can understand because you are yet to write jamb.

Lol..
Well I've written jamb shaa, I'm currently a 100 level Civil engr. Undergrad at UNN. Though I'm yet to enter a university lecture hall shaa grin
I was talking based on what I know about my own field, in the engineering and tech field, no one is looking for your ph.d...
Of what use is a civil engineer with a ph.d who can't make use of AutoCAD?? Or has no practical knowledge of structures and structural designing??
You are of no use in the field unless you go into lecturing.
But like you said a ph.d is definitely really important for a theoretical or research based field.
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by jesmond3945: 3:30pm On Oct 09, 2018
Dont be 'nigerian minded' bro if you want an international career a phd would give you an edge.
Rgade:

Well I've written jamb shaa, I'm currently a 100 level Civil engr. Undergrad at UNN. Though I'm yet to enter a university lecture hall shaa grin
I was talking based on what I know about my own field, in the engineering and tech field, no one is looking for your ph.d...
Of what use is a civil engineer with a ph.d who can't make use of AutoCAD?? Or has no practical knowledge of structures and structural designing??
You are of no use in the field unless you go into lecturing.
But like you said a ph.d is definitely really important for a theoretical or research based field.

2 Likes

Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 09, 2018
Processor01:

1) Academic Background
2) GRE or GMAT Score
3) Statement of Purpose
4) Interview/Fit (he's African and by default a minority so can easily check this box)

The bolded is not required in many schools abroad. Read his story before assuming what you don't know
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 09, 2018
asuustrike1:

The bolded is not required in many schools abroad. Read his story before assuming what you don't know

Lol...young man, I can't help you any further - zero incentive.
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 09, 2018
Processor01:

Lol...young man, I can't help you any further - zero incentive.

I see you are being mildly savage. cheesy
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 09, 2018
Clarathomp:

I see you are being mildly savage. cheesy

My bad grin
Nairaland youngins know how to push one's button.
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 09, 2018

1 Like

Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by rtdCivilservant: 6:34pm On Oct 10, 2018
showafrica:

Simple answer... Just enter exams and record do your thing... Nigeria is basterdized
exactly
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by rtdCivilservant: 6:36pm On Oct 10, 2018
asuustrike1:

Always think of the future before making hasty decision. He may get an appointment someday and it would be used against him
it can NEVER be used against him cos no record of the old grade would be left.
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by rtdCivilservant: 6:37pm On Oct 10, 2018
Rosay15:
... U are right BT u shd nt have say dis online Cus so many people visit dis site. Am just saying thou.
thanks

1 Like

Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by DateMynd44(m): 6:38pm On Oct 10, 2018
hakeem4:
its not a must you have a Phd, he should probably go to the field and practice

i just remembered one of my friend, his uncle asked him for his CGPA after promised to look for job for him. Then he told his uncle he was on a 4.12, immediately his uncle said you must be a very brilliant student, not know his CGPA was 4.12/7
University of Ibadan?
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by OvaSabi1(f): 7:59pm On Oct 10, 2018
BayMc:

quy, mahn, dude or whatever!
first class or 2:1, quess you qraduated with one of them?!
you really had to reqard this dude with this epic sarcasm?!
you think you're any better?!
even if you qraduated with 1st class asterisk, you never had to be callously anathemizinq to this dude. You possess no such riqht!

you have quts, u know?!
quess thinqs went smooth for you back at school, that's what warranted your puerile audaciousness.
you seems to be devoid of experience, and this "dearth" miqht come bite you eventually.

This world, life, is so complex, you know?!

who cares about whom you are?! cares whether you're a 1st class or 2:1 holder??!
so it's been quaranteed that 2:2 holder won't qo places? it's been quaranteed they won't soar much hiqher than you!

"Fata Morgana". Keep wriqqlinq and jiqqlinq in that!

Hope you don't write Q instead of G in your work/school reports? What manner of typing is this? Is it swag? Does the G button on your phone not work?

1 Like

Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by AgentGoat: 8:20pm On Oct 10, 2018
engrfcuksmtin:
@ the bolded he should stop chasing the wind. Based on my personal experience, I obtained B.Agric (Soil and Env. sci) from University of Ado Ekiti now EKSU with a very weak 2:2. I had no choice than to go back to same school for MSc in Soil Survey and Classification and I came out with distinction. All efforts to apply for PhD in Digital Soil Mapping abroad failed as a result of my poor B.Agric grade. I wasted 3 years chasing the wind and later went back to EKSU for PhD in Soil Survey and Classification which I completed in a record time of 2years eight months. I have published 7 papers in high impact journals from my PhD thesis and about to go for post-doc abroad soon.
The OP said he must school abroad that's his major problem.

Can PhD program be that fast in naija uni like that?
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 11, 2018
rtdCivilservant:

it can NEVER be used against him cos no record of the old grade would be left.
Peradventure there is need for audit of scores, many things might spring forth. I learnt that a popular professional body now mark and scan scripts online. Things are changing. A circular might be issued to scan booklets already marked
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by rtdCivilservant: 8:31pm On Oct 11, 2018
asuustrike1:

Peradventure there is need for audit of scores, many things might spring forth. I learnt that a popular professional body now mark and scan scripts online. Things are changing. A circular might be issued to scan booklets already marked
booklets wey dem don sell for iya akara tey tey.
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 21, 2018
OvaSabi1:

Hope you don't write Q instead of G in your work/school reports? What manner of typing is this? Is it swag? Does the G button on your phone not work?

i "quoted" u?!
of course not.
quite brow'raised about your eniqmatic meddlinq thouqh.

School work is another realm entirely.
here is a different realm too.
and typinqs done on systems for works or reports ain't like this.
why would you wanna know thouqh?!
the "interchanqe" is only restricted here.

you've qot prob with my typinq manner?!
now why?!
it's odd?!
and if that's what makes me stand'out, so be it!
not as if i owe you some explaininqs thouqh.
Re: I Should Have Sorted Some Courses Like Others Did Cries My Friend by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 21, 2018
vanndubi:
He should be regretting not studying hard enough as he is doing now.

Modified:

Why would he paint it as if people that graduated with 1st class and 2.1 sorted? He failed himself by not working hard then.

He learn to live with his 2.2 restrictions and advise younger ones to work hard and avoid his fate.

Modified 2:

I don't know the university you graduated from. But where I graduated from (FUTO), 1st class/ 2.1 are sound. You can take that to Aberdeen.

I read of his excuses. The don't hold water- A lecturer accused him of not buying his handout. He didn't tell us if he actually bought the said handout and Mr lecturer said otherwise.

Some of us had challenges too. But we re-doubled our effort to make up for the shortcomings.

There are some people when they get an A, they said "I get A" but when they get an F, they would say " they give me F". The guy should just accept his limitations, everybody cannot be PhD holders.

Modified 3:

You said I'm devoid of experience (I take that with a smile while shaking my head). I don see thing o! from school day and even in life.

And I've learnt that when one experiences setback, one does not need to stand one place and lament. Simply pick up the whatever that remaining and forge ahead. It's difficult to get all one desires. You win some, you lose some.

of course.
a "bon-mot" you've qot there.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kano Revokes Licences Of All Private Schools Over Hanifa Abubakar Kidnap, Murder / My Matriculation Number Was Used For Another Student After Graduating / Urgent Help Needed. I'm Been Victimised By A Randy Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.