Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,107 members, 7,814,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

I Just Got Scamed By My Landlord. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Just Got Scamed By My Landlord. (525 Views)

My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Got Scamed By My Landlord. by casted81: 11:46pm On Oct 08, 2018
Resolved
Re: I Just Got Scamed By My Landlord. by phrancys001(m): 11:49pm On Oct 08, 2018
Deduct expenses from next rent

1 Like

Re: I Just Got Scamed By My Landlord. by casted81: 11:54pm On Oct 08, 2018
phrancys001:
Deduct expenses from next rent
Re: I Just Got Scamed By My Landlord. by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 08, 2018
Why didn’t you inspect the house thoroughly at first?

Rule of thumb is you go first alone and then with someone the second time.

Check and recheck the fittings to ensure nothing is amiss, and then sign agreement not more than 3 days after paying rent.

I think you were lax with it or am I the only one feeling this way?
Re: I Just Got Scamed By My Landlord. by casted81: 12:00am On Oct 09, 2018
mrAMG:
Why didn’t you inspect the house thoroughly at first?

Rule of thumb is you go first alone and then with someone the second time.

Check and recheck the fittings to ensure nothing is amiss, and then sign agreement not more than 3 days after paying rent.

I think you were lax with it or am I the only one feeling this way?
Re: I Just Got Scamed By My Landlord. by bassdow: 3:58am On Oct 09, 2018
casted81:

I recently rented an apartment around Ikeja its a room and and palour self con at #x hundred thousand naira agent fee and damages inclusive, september last month.
Receipt was issued, kandlord said after moving in agreement forms will b signed. Also said I shld give dem a week to renovate d place.b4 I move in I said no p.

went back to inspect job done. discovered 'Renovation' done was tilling d floor of both rooms and d roof is leaking. Called their attention to d leaking roof dey said dey would fix it.

Went back a week after nothing was done. Asked y it hasn't been fixed, dey said dey don't have money to fix. After all d money i paid hw could dey say such??,I was furious. After much pleadings, I called a carpenter to fix d leaking roof. Extra 5k gone.

That same day while d carpenter was working I discovered one of d water pipe is leaking. Dey promised to call a plumber to fix it. My dear NL people I went to d house today it hasn't been fixed.

This useless landlord/agent opened his osoephagus to tell me dat he doesn't have money I shld goan fix it myself.

I want to see a lawyer tomorrow.

My dear nl people hw do I.make ds landlord/agents pay?? Advice needed.

Pls pardon my typos and grammar, I'm typing with annoyance.

Cc: lawyer

Depending on your personality, you might not need a lawyer.

Come to a written agreement with them that those expenses would be taken off your next rent fee if handled by you.
Make sure it's a written and signed agreement Ooooo. Like earlier said, you might not need a lawyer depending on your personality.

But if they refuse, kindly insist on a full refund (I have had to ask for 300% interest at one time though I got just barely 20% interest).

The problem I see with most people is being taken advantage off because they are trying to Respect the Elder.
Probably if they were within your age range, you would know what to do.

And don't let anyone there try to talk to you about any Shit.

You don't even need police in this except they prove stubborn and you are soft.

NB: if they ever try being difficult because you asked for a written agreement with regards to deducting the costs from next rent, Abeg just request for Refund sharp sharp.
Don't even change your mind if they later agree.

Because they own the building, and as soon as you have issues with them, one way or the other things would crop up. It's even worse if they live within the premise.

Also next time and as a Lesson, whenever what you're about going for isn't 100% okay, never pay and if you must pay (like if renting an apartment), never pay more than 50% as part-payment.
Tell them you pay the rest when they complete the work. At least they said they don't have money, the part payment would do.

Don't even listen to anyone trying to advice you (you might think the agent that brought you have your interest BUT don't forget he/She also wants to close the deal and move on).

And make sure they are aware they can't request for more without finishing repairs. And if they don't do things how you like it, you request for a refund of your part payment.

But if it was to be Me, I would just have an agreement with them, cost it to my taste (so.they don't use inferior materials) and let them know.

If they are Okay, then all is Okay

Bye for now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Just Got Scamed By My Landlord. by casted81: 8:22am On Oct 09, 2018
Resolved.

All expenses was deducted from my next rent.

Thanks everyone.

bassdow:

Depending on your personality, you might not need a lawyer.

Come to a written agreement with them that those expenses would be taken off your next rent fee if handled by you.
Make sure it's a written and signed agreement Ooooo. Like earlier said, you might not need a lawyer depending on your personality.

But if they refuse, kindly insist on a full refund (I have had to ask for 300% interest at one time though I got just barely 20% interest).

The problem I see with most people is being taken advantage off because they are trying to Respect the Elder.
Probably if they were within your age range, you would know what to do.

And don't let anyone there try to talk to you about any Shit.

You don't even need police in this except they prove stubborn and you are soft.

NB: if they ever try being difficult because you asked for a written agreement with regards to deducting the costs from next rent, Abeg just request for Refund sharp sharp.
Don't even change your mind if they later agree.

Because they own the building, and as soon as you have issues with them, one way or the other things would crop up. It's even worse if they live within the premise.

Also next time and as a Lesson, whenever what you're about going for isn't 100% okay, never pay and if you must pay (like if renting an apartment), never pay more than 50% as part-payment.
Tell them you pay the rest when they complete the work. At least they said they don't have money, the part payment would do.

Don't even listen to anyone trying to advice you (you might think the agent that brought you have your interest BUT don't forget he/She also wants to close the deal and move on).

And make sure they are aware they can't request for more without finishing repairs. And if they don't do things how you like it, you request for a refund of your part payment.

But if it was to be Me, I would just have an agreement with them, cost it to my taste (so.they don't use inferior materials) and let them know.

If they are Okay, then all is Okay

Bye for now

(1) (Reply)

Millennium Igbogbo Plot Allocation Distressed Sale ₦1.5m / Shop Available For Sale In Mandilas Plaza,trade Fair / Low Cost Accommodation Needed In Ibadan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.