Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic (41199 Views)

Sea Turtle Caught Near Ibeno Island In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / 'Albino Turtle': Yellow Turtle In India (Photos) / Leatherback Sea Turtle Caught In Bayelsa - Foropa Kingdom Island (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by diebuhari1: 10:42am On Oct 09, 2018
No picture, no video, in this 2018?

Rubbish
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by updatechange(m): 10:42am On Oct 09, 2018
Where are the chicken activity let them come and defend their people na
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by boyjo: 10:44am On Oct 09, 2018
Eyaah, they called police and the police supported the locals.

Thank God o, I thought the locals wanted to chop the turtle grin
The Whites prolly wanted to sell it.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Smily202(m): 10:44am On Oct 09, 2018
F
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by geozone: 10:44am On Oct 09, 2018
pleasant surprise

1 Like

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by bengoodcreature: 10:44am On Oct 09, 2018
Glad that Nigerians are getting wiser now

1 Like

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by akinszz: 10:45am On Oct 09, 2018
You are mad you have no one to tell you

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by nazablossom(f): 10:46am On Oct 09, 2018
Could it be true?

When I saw the caption, I thought that the whites will be the saviour of the turtle but the reverse is the case.

1 Like

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by bewla(m): 10:49am On Oct 09, 2018
Mariangeles:
WoW!
Good people, great nation !
not hungry this time abi mtcwwwn
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Fazemood(m): 10:58am On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:
Do you know that Nairaland was more United before and there wasn't much tribal wars compared to what we are seeing today here on Nairaland .

From 2010 till 2013 I was so enjoying Nairaland and everyone was so sincere with replies and quotes there was little fracas

It became worst when Buhari emerged as president he not only caused division, tribal sentiment and crisis among Nigerians but also to nairalanders who will see red and say it is black

When are we going to have a peaceful matured and interesting Nairaland
I know what you mean, swear I do cry

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by HomeOfMe(f): 11:00am On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:
Do you know that Nairaland was more United before and there wasn't much tribal wars compared to what we are seeing today here on Nairaland .

From 2010 till 2013 I was so enjoying Nairaland and everyone was so sincere with replies and quotes there was little fracas

It became worst when Buhari emerged as president he not only caused division, tribal sentiment and crisis among Nigerians but also to nairalanders who will see red and say it is black

The 5% comments caused the division I guess..
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Born2Breed(f): 11:03am On Oct 09, 2018
nairalaila:
There was a little pandemonium between whites and locals over a turtle caught during fishing at Eko Atlantic, Lagos and it was captured in tweets by Twitter user @joeyakan. 

Taking to Twitter to share the story of the turtle, he wrote; 

A story of hope. Thread. So behind my office at Landmark Towers, there's a body of water that links to the seas. White fishermen show up a lot and cast their nets to catch some fish. They are welcome, treated with respect and assisted by the locals. The men in turn behave.

But today, something happened. When the white fishermen cast their nets, they caught a lot of fish. But they also caught something strange, a large water turtle. Catching a water turtle was a shock, but it also came with toll – the shell of the turtle tore the net. Damaged it.

And then the best thing happened. The locals rallies and stopped the men from taking the turtle away. "Na only fish you get permission to catch," one said. "This one no be fish. Drop am." The men refused, and an argument came on. They called more locals for support.

The men called the police attached to Landmark for help. The police supported the locals. Turns out water turtles are almost extinct because of poaching and the work on Eko Atlantic affecting their habitat. So these locals came together to make a law protecting them. It worked.

The numbers are decent now. Turtles are back, and they need protection. The whites, seeing that they were not going to get any support, asked them to pay for the cost of the damage to their nets. They negotiated for long, before they agreed and money was exchanged.

The turtle was returned, and it was carried to the sea in a little ceremony. People marched as it was hoisted in the air. When it touched the water, everyone clapped. The turtle went back in, saved by humans. The whites left. Case closed.

So, while Nigeria brings all of its negativity to shred your spirit, there still exists some good in small pockets of light. People who have chosen to take charge of their corner and make it better. I just saw one of such pockets in action. And I am so happy.

My heart is warm and beating loud. God bless those guys. Amen. The End.

https://lailasnews.com/between-whites-and-locals-over-a-turtle-caught-at-eko-atlantic/

No pinshure....

We nor be-leaf....goat nor fit chop us....
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by DSDLIVEREPORT: 11:04am On Oct 09, 2018
Am moved. Bless them. Let's all learn to play our own little part in a little way
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:

Big fat lies, Nairaland has always been a home of conflicting opinions.

1 Like

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by DedeNkem: 11:04am On Oct 09, 2018
Oh my! I love this story so much! Whites always think they could do anything they want in Africa and get away with it. You can't try this in their country, but here they feel they're entitled due to how nice we treat them.

Nigerians should end their inferiority complex and stop treating whites too nice! They won't treat you the same way in their country!

The locals shouldn't have paid them a cent! In fact, they should have forced them to pay for the fish they already caught and kick them out of the area!

Whites are heartless when it comes to dealing with Africans in their country! So it is only fair to give them their own medicine!

1 Like

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 09, 2018
E be like say we don dey get sense for this country o. Kudos to those boys!!! "Na only fish you get permission to catch; this one no be fish. Drop am." lol.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by bluecircle470: 11:07am On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:

It shows we’re living in the last days
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by JuanDeDios: 11:07am On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:

The state of Nairaland is just sad. If things continue like this, the site might become a threat to national security because it's a veritable breeding ground for tribal hatred. The worst thing is that the minders of the forum are doing nothing about it - they seem to be happy with the clicks they're getting from the fights.

It wasn't Buhari that started or made things worse, though. Buhari's small-minded ethnocentrism may have fanned anti-Fulani sentiments but that is not even what you see playing out here. The blame for NL's degeneration must go to the NL kids who, during and after the 2015 elections, decided it was a crime to vote against their preferred candidate.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by JuanDeDios: 11:08am On Oct 09, 2018
bluecircle470:

It shows we’re living in the last days
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by JohnQueen(m): 11:12am On Oct 09, 2018
So true

maxiuc:

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by seandurse(m): 11:14am On Oct 09, 2018
I hope it was not the same turtle I saw a guy sitting on at the back of a moving bike yesterday at igbo-efon. something told me he was going to sell it to the king sha. the turtle was helpless tho.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by maasoap(m): 11:15am On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:

You were making sense because you were telling the truth until you brought in your politics of bitterness. Nairaland had been like this before Buhari came on board. And it can't get any worse.

2 Likes

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by icogb: 11:19am On Oct 09, 2018
What if it's all about their beliefs?
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by funshint(m): 11:26am On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:

Are you sure you're saying the truth!

1 Like

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by BanevsJoker(m): 11:28am On Oct 09, 2018
maxiuc:

BMC ruined Nairaland.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by planetx: 11:33am On Oct 09, 2018
DedeNkem:
Oh my! I love this story so much! Whites always think they could do anything they want in Africa and get away with it. You can't try this in their country, but here they feel they're entitled due to how nice we treat them.

Nigerians should end their inferiority complex and stop treating whites too nice! They won't treat you the same way in their country!

The locals shouldn't have paid them a cent! In fact, they should have forced them to pay for the fish they already caught and kick them out of the area!

Whites are heartless when it comes to dealing with Africans in their country! So it is only fair to give them their medicine!
They have brainwashed Africans beyond the point of no return, 400 years of slavery and colonialism will take another 400 years to reverse.

1 Like

Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by gr8child(m): 11:34am On Oct 09, 2018
Turtle that the locals would have eaten if nobody was there.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by BanevsJoker(m): 11:39am On Oct 09, 2018
renewa29:

Big fat lies, Nairaland has always been a home of conflicting opinions.
Conflicting opinions yes, but the tribal and political bigotry was never this bad.
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 09, 2018
BanevsJoker:

Conflicting opinions yes, but the tribal and political bigotry was never this bad.

Tribal insults have always been part of Nairaland, that's why the management made the rules. You know Name checkers association did not just start in 2016, just do a search on Nairaland to see when it started.

https://www.nairaland.com/1069327/biafra-war-igbo-leaders-deceived#16310133
Re: Between Whites And Locals Over A Turtle Caught At Eko Atlantic by BanevsJoker(m): 11:55am On Oct 09, 2018
renewa29:

Tribal insults have always been part of Nairaland, that's why the management made the rules. You know Name checkers association did not just start in 2015, just do a search on Nairaland to see when it started.
NCAN is a lesser evil compared to what Nairaland has become. All thanks to Sarrki and his cohorts.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Shows Off The Antelope He Killed After Hunting Expedition In Owerri / Man From Gombe & His Locally Made Vehicle Cause A Scene / Man Constructs Bicycle With Wood: Innovative Or Simply Genius? (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.