Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,504 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:03 PM

Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. (9067 Views)

Why Are BMW Cars Unbelievably Cheap? / 5 Ways To Identify Bullet Proof Cars On Nigerian Roads. / Nigeria At 57: These Cars Have Rocked Nigerian Roads For The Past 57 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by sacramento1212: 4:47pm On Oct 14, 2018
sooperrescue:

Very correct. I recently bought alternator for 2011 avensis for 100k. The owner has refused to pay and pick up the car. He has been blaming me for buying too high. He later called another Toyota dealer and they told him 200k for the same alternator.

Alternator isn't a wear item that warrants replacement regularly which can be understood. But OEM brake pads for Toyota are pricey and not the #3000 ones that floods the naija market. So i wonder why they crucify German brands like as if there's a comparison between the 2, if the price wouldn't be the same or the Japanese OEM parts being more expensive.

They also fail to understand that OEM will last years when compared to the chinko and sometimes when you calculate monies spent on replacing the fake parts, one would have been better off with an OEM parts.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by 9icetoo(m): 4:59pm On Oct 14, 2018
Is there any reliable octane booster within the country that one can buy? I've checked around and seen only the abro variant.
I tried it and my mpg went up a notch but I hope it won't cause more problems than the low octane fuel sold in naija.
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by yungboss(m): 7:04pm On Oct 14, 2018
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by sacramento1212: 7:10pm On Oct 14, 2018
9icetoo:
Is there any reliable octane booster within the country that one can buy? I've checked around and seen only the abro variant.
I tried it and my mpg went up a notch but I hope it won't cause more problems than the low octane fuel sold in naija.

There are so many octane boosters in the market but the question would be whether it will boost to the required octane points. So you have to check very well before buying to avoid wasting funds.

Alternatively, you can check amazon for several brand reviews as a deciding factor before you procure i.e if you don't mind ordering it online. There are better ones than abro.

It's a shame that a country like Nigeria cannot boast of a minimum of 91 RON and we call ourselves Giant of Africa.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by dru23(m): 11:54am On Oct 16, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
Oga Sope is to fuel and octane booster what Dru is to oil and AFS. grin

Both always championing their causes like it's the reason for all car troubles in Nigeria, lmao.

My overall beef is car maintenance culture in Nigeria needs to improve... I am witness to the things on ground.. Now am spending another 120k on gear box ...we call it transmission.. The transmission went bad due to using the wrong transmission fluid.. Nigerians don't care. Oil nay oil and ignore basically what the manufacture requires.. Very sad experience.. Even to use common coolant ,people ignore it ..until we learn the basic rules of maintenance ,people will continue to flush and waste money down the drain..
High end cars like range rover, BMW , benz , Bentley luxury cars etc and even my 2005 Nissan altima ser that I personally drive.. Do require premium fuel.. When I use low grade of fuel in my car I can feel it ...and most of these cars manufacturer will advice you to use high premium fuel... it is written on fuel cap.. So why ignore them ? I tire for naija people o

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by dru23(m): 12:04pm On Oct 16, 2018
sacramento1212:

There are so many octane boosters in the market but the question would be whether it will boost to the required octane points. So you have to check very well before buying to avoid wasting funds.

Alternatively, you can check amazon for several brand reviews as a deciding factor before you procure i.e if you don't mind ordering it online. There are better ones than abro.

It's a shame that a country like Nigeria cannot boast of a minimum of 91 RON and we call ourselves Giant of Africa.

You shall live long ...every time I drive certain places in Lagos. And I see how bad the road, how dirty Lagos is and how people are leaving in poverty... I say to myself " Giant of Africa"
When people say Nigeria " Giant of Africa". We are just trying to live on the potential that Nigeria has ...nobody cares about your potential, if you can't make the best out it. It is like saying someone has talent. What good is your talent if you can't use it. And also you can compare it to someone bragging, that I had millions of dollars I was the richest, but now am broke.. Nobody wants to hear that poo.. Talking about past glory

5 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by sacramento1212: 12:09pm On Oct 16, 2018
dru23:

My overall beef is car maintenance culture in Nigeria needs to improve... I am witness to the things on ground.. Now am spending another 120k on gear box ...we call it transmission.. The transmission went bad due to using the wrong transmission fluid.. Nigerians don't care. Oil nay oil and ignore basically what the manufacture requires.. Very sad experience.. Even to use common coolant ,people ignore it ..until we learn the basic rules of maintenance ,people will continue to flush and waste money down the drain..
High end cars like range rover, BMW , benz , Bentley luxury cars etc and even my 2005 Nissan altima ser that I personally drive.. Do require premium fuel.. When I use low grade of fuel in my car I can feel it ...and most of these cars manufacturer will advice you to use high premium fuel... it is written on fuel cap.. So why ignore them ? I tire for naija people o

So unfortunate that you will have to spend such an amount replacing an item that normally wouldn't have costed half of it for maintenance. Sorry about that.

As for premium fuel, i believe there are many that wouldn't mind purchasing them if they are readily available because for one to spend to procure these mechanical animals, i dont think purchasing of premium fuel will be an issue to them.

It's just like the aspect of Engine oil, it will amaze you that some workshops(not the kazeem type) still make use of the wrong grade and will still argue with you when you try to correct them. I once witnessed this and the mechanic was telling me that 5w30 is wrong for the car that it's too thick and will damage the engine. If I was to listen to him, i would have accepted the 20w50 they brought.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by dru23(m): 12:26pm On Oct 16, 2018
sacramento1212:

So unfortunate that you will have to spend such an amount replacing an item that normally wouldn't have costed half of it for maintenance. Sorry about that.

As for premium fuel, i believe there are many that wouldn't mind purchasing them if they are readily available because for one to spend to procure these mechanical animals, i dont think purchasing of premium fuel will be an issue to them.

It's just like the aspect of Engine oil, it will amaze you that some workshops(not the kazeem type) still make use of the wrong grade and will still argue with you when you try to correct them. I once witnessed this and the mechanic was telling me that 5w30 is wrong for the car that it's too thick and will damage the engine. If I was to listen to him, i would have accepted the 20w50 they brought.

Again you shall live long ...am on ground to experience it o ..money spend so far over 300k plus ..All because of lack of maintenance... I was even telling one mechanic that the car needs coolant... he said oga water is ok ..I shake head .. Funny enough am not car expert.. But with common sense and advice, am able to put two and two together.. To change tire self I no fit do .....
And if I continue to talk now, they will say I want sell them my imported Mobil oil ...but overall my experience has been an eye opening, which I will talk about at a later time ...it is well sha

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by dru23(m): 12:30pm On Oct 16, 2018
sacramento1212:

Alternator isn't a wear item that warrants replacement regularly which can be understood. But OEM brake pads for Toyota are pricey and not the #3000 ones that floods the naija market. So i wonder why they crucify German brands like as if there's a comparison between the 2, if the price wouldn't be the same or the Japanese OEM parts being more expensive.

They also fail to understand that OEM will last years when compared to the chinko and sometimes when you calculate monies spent on replacing the fake parts, one would have been better off with an OEM parts.

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by brojero: 1:13pm On Oct 16, 2018
I just came to find trouble wink

Disclaimer: I own an old range Rover

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by sooperrescue(m): 8:45pm On Oct 16, 2018
I hope we will not read the trials of bro jero here again. Range Rover is the best SUV in the world. Their customer service is peopled by Indians who drive right hand Suzuki and mahindra. If you are fixing a range, please try and speak pidgin while you are repairing the car else it will start malfunctioning.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by CityNGR: 9:34pm On Oct 16, 2018
sooperrescue:
I hope we will not read the trials of bro jero here again. Range Rover is the best SUV in the world. Their customer service is peopled by Indians who drive right hand Suzuki and mahindra. If you are fixing a range, please try and speak pidgin while you are repairing the car else it will start malfunctioning.
The government should tax range rover owners so tey the ownership should not extend more than a few fifty persons.

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by sooperrescue(m): 6:25am On Oct 17, 2018
CityNGR:

The government should tax range rover owners so tey the ownership should not extend more than a few fifty persons.
You nor serious. Wetin I go come dey do. Repair Mitsubishi gallant?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Iambornbimmer: 5:21pm On Oct 20, 2018
Beemer for life!

Zoharariel:
I am not here to argue with anybody but if you've ever driven a Bmw or Benz before, wallahi - you will never want to drive any other brand again.

The momentous power-to-weight ratio, the balancing, the handling, the aesthetics, the sound of the engine - vrrooom, vrrooom, vrrooom, bringing non-stop melodious tunes to my ears - kai! grin

What I know is that, I will never use my money to buy any japanese vehicles except I'm dashing them out. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Iambornbimmer: 5:41pm On Oct 20, 2018
danadam:

plastic impeller for E92 335? well-done sir.

Loud grin
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by fabienjoe: 11:40pm On Oct 20, 2018
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by fabienjoe: 11:49pm On Oct 20, 2018

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by fabienjoe: 12:03am On Oct 21, 2018
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by autoposh(m): 2:18pm On Oct 21, 2018
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by sonety2k(m): 5:15pm On Oct 21, 2018
cool
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by DAVE5(m): 1:29am On Oct 22, 2018
king406:
I had a 2011 E92 335i, bought directly from a US car dealer (not auction). It had about 55k miles on it, car was nice and quick. It bothered me with its heating issues which i was well aware of that bmw’s from 1998-2012 usually had. First incident happened on my way to kaduna where the car overheated, i took it to my mechanic and we didnt find anything wrong. Car was ok for about a month before the same experience occured again on the same road. At this time i was starting to get fed up because i consider myself a car enthusiast and i must confess i drive fast on that abj-kd road. after overtaking so many people who think their cars are fast, my car now breaks down and i watch the same people pass me by from the side of the road, i felt embarrassed. I decided to replace the entire cooling system, nothing happened for the next 2 months and note that i had another car, a 2006 c230 sport so the bmw wasnt a daily driver. My brother borrowed the car before calling me that the car has broke down with smoke coming out of the bonnet, it overheated again and he didnt notice fast enough until the head gasket blew. At this point i have had enough, i didnt trust the car again but still i decided to fix it and i read somewhere online that i should buy a headgasket that is thicker than the stock gasket. I really wasnt looking forward to experimenting anything without guarantee and so i sold the car together with my c230 and bought myself a 2011 E350 sport which i have been using for 1year 2months now without any incident. It is my daily driver and also what i use to travel. I must say that car may look all flashy and all but it is actually a tank grin. That is my story.

Good analysis

I drive an 07 Lexus is250 currently, it's everything I think I need in a car, driving it since December last year, I intend buying a benz as a second car next year, let's say june/July, c300 2 b precise, my love 4 dat ride is unexplainable,I like d size, small but wicked I guess just like d is250, budget is not more than 3.5mil, kinda liking d e350 a lil as well, given ur experience wit d e350, wat wld u advice me, av u driven d c300 before, hows d feel

2 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Nobody: 6:22am On Nov 17, 2018
dru23:

Again you shall live long ...am on ground to experience it o ..money spend so far over 300k plus ..All because of lack of maintenance... I was even telling one mechanic that the car needs coolant... he said oga water is ok ..I shake head .. Funny enough am not car expert.. But with common sense and advice, am able to put two and two together.. To change tire self I no fit do .....
And if I continue to talk now, they will say I want sell them my imported Mobil oil ...but overall my experience has been an eye opening, which I will talk about at a later time ...it is well sha

You have no business behind a steering wheel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by Drunice23: 12:06pm On Nov 17, 2018
greyham:

You have no business behind a steering wheel.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by ceepeeo(m): 11:41am On Nov 12, 2019
I am back in the market for a new car ,and I have a bmw and Lexus in my mind as sedans, and X5 and mdx for suvs! Checking On line I was astonished to see bmw foreign used in very affordable prices lower than expected eg bm 525i n 328i lower than 3m and the Lexus es350
So I came to Nairaland to hear what the gurus have to say but now I am at cross road what to buy ( bmw or Lexus ) after going thru this thread from A to Z.
Pls can a guru tell me straight up for good maintenance cost which car to buy btw sedan bmw and Lexus ES

Also I saw on line X 5 lower , I am surprised as I have always thought that the bmws are very expensive
Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:13pm On Nov 12, 2019
ceepeeo:
I am back in the market for a new car ,and I have a bmw and Lexus in my mind as sedans, and X5 and mdx for suvs! Checking On line I was astonished to see bmw foreign used in very affordable prices lower than expected eg bm 525i n 328i lower than 3m and the Lexus es350
So I came to Nairaland to hear what the gurus have to say but now I am at cross road what to buy ( bmw or Lexus ) after going thru this thread from A to Z.
Pls can a guru tell me straight up for good maintenance cost which car to buy btw sedan bmw and Lexus ES

Also I saw on line X 5 lower , I am surprised as I have always thought that the bmws are very expensive

Better buy the Lexus if you know what's good for you. BMW's are money pits, ignore what any completely useless anecdotal evidence one supposed BMW owner will come to provide, claiming otherwise.

Buy the Lexus and rest.

If you're actually considering BMW, the Lexus GS is what you should be looking at, not the ES.

5 Likes

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by KillahPriest: 4:23am On Sep 12, 2023
I've been researching on the E46 recently, watching YouTube videos especially and I found out that there are certain parts you must change immediately after purchase for you to have peace of mind for the next few years. Most Nigerians who buy cars are not interested in anything that will make them drop engine just to change parts no matter how hard you explain. I take it that it's the same scenario with other used ones. BMW's have a bad reputation concerning "reliability" worldwide but there are people still perfectly happy with their cars. So if you want to get one, make sure you do your research to know exactly what you're getting into. BMW na craze car but I still love her

1 Like

Re: Why Are BMW Cars Going Extinct On Nigerian Roads. by chukel(m): 6:00am On Sep 12, 2023
CityNGR:

Water pump plastic impeller....
spot on. The impeller housing is plastic and cracks overtime leaking coolant. Happened to my 535i. It was diagnosed promptly as we saw the leak. Told myself never to do one with plastic impeller housing. Ordered one from doorman with aluminium impeller housing. It's been bliss since then.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

David Oyedepo Car Collection: Why He Has So Many Luxury Cars? / Cost Of Clearing At Lagos Port / Engine Conversion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.