Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,626 members, 7,801,810 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

New To Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / New To Programming (694 Views)

What Happened To Programming? / New To Programming! / An Introduction To Programming Using C (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New To Programming by Omoosedabi: 5:25am On Jul 13, 2010
Am a computer science student and am sick of the DOS environment called FORTRAN which they take us in school. It really sucks. Guys i neeed to get ahead. Which better prolang can i go for. Include details please
Re: New To Programming by BigStar1(m): 10:08am On Jul 13, 2010
It depends on ur ability to learn.

In my own case, I was taught QBasic in school(FEDPOFFA). But when I went for my siwes, I was introduced to VB and that's how I started. See me today, I have upgraded myself talk of (C++, C#, Java, PHP, CSS, JavaScript, SQL, Flash Animation etc). The point is that, A journey that is difficult to complete is the one that is not yet started. Call 08060678106 for support.
Re: New To Programming by tundebabzy: 10:54am On Jul 13, 2010
since you are a computer science student, i would recommend Scheme. Scheme is a dialect of Lisp. It is used in a lot of universities to teach concepts of computer science and programming since its difficult to do so which most other modern languages. Lisp is mainly used in Artifficial Inteligence and can be used in dynamic web design, games, simulators and CAD software, image editors like GIMP and shells (like emac shell). After learning Scheme, since you have learnt the concepts of programming and programming languages, not just their syntax, it would be easier for you to learn other languages and would in general make you a better programmer.

To learn scheme, you will need this book: Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programming written by the creators of Scheme and MIT/GNU Scheme.
Optionally, you can download: How To Do Programming also by MIT press but you'll need DrRacket.
You can download the books for free on www.4shared.com
Re: New To Programming by emy26: 11:28am On Jul 13, 2010
pls how do one get started here I am just new in this room can someone help me out
Re: New To Programming by Segzy23: 12:33pm On Jul 14, 2010
Go for a programming Language that is here to stay.

Something like JAVA, C#, Vb.net, Asp.net etc, These prog. languages are here to stay. Fortran is dead - well a dying breed. I can't understand why it is still being taught, maybe because the tutors/Lecturers are too lazy to pick up new languages.

Read computer Journals online, and see what is hot in the Market these days. If you are keen to try something new, you could look at Adobe flex and so on. Say no to Fortran - way too old

(1) (Reply)

Hi / I Need A Professional''s Guilde. / The Trick To Building A Million-Dollar App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.