Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,559 members, 7,812,814 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:45 PM

Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) (34352 Views)

Buhari Signs Amendment To Executive Order 008 On VOARS / Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure / Atiku Reacts As Buhari Signs "Not Too Young To Run" Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by ofuonyebi: 11:38pm On Oct 10, 2018
no more business as usual...many of theseso called political idiots...has stolen all the nigerian commonwealth abroad..

it is time to vomit them!...weldone buhari...the lion heart man against corruption!

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by hateme777: 11:38pm On Oct 10, 2018
The Conspiracy of IPOB pigs To Sabotage Nigeria, Matters Arising.

"We are assembling weapons and we need some more money to thoroughly equip our military to enable us unleash mayhem on Nigeria." Mazi Nnamdi KANU 1967 - ?.

Let me start with the Nzegwu Kaduna coup de tat and the killings of Brigadier Maimalari, Sir B.Ahmadu, Sir A.Balewa and other Northerners. History has shown us that Igbos have been sabotaging against Nigeria's interest, from day one, not a single Igbo officer was killed during the 1st coup. These aggressors always play the victim cards just to deceive the world.

1. Ipob's manipulated & cunningly collected $ 5000 dollars from the suspect Atiku Abubakar, as a means to buying arms and fundings for their proscribed association (ipob).( see punch news paper.)

2. When other delegates from North,Central and South West where avoiding the suspect due to his investigation by USA homeland security, and inability to set foot in USA but ipob's deliberately met him & a price was negotiated from $10000 down to $5000. (See Harlibuton case CNN.) A leader that has failed his first assignment by buying his mandate, na by force ?. How much more once he is elected, what of the $5000 × 180m = ....or $5000x1567= pdp

3.Igbos believe if the suspect wins there will be so much looting of state resources that Nigeria will go bankrupt, which will make it impossible to pay security agencies their wages, from that position Igbos pigs can strike and deal with Nigeria with a single blow, just like Boko haram did during GEJ government, when more than 19 LGA where under the terrorists group, as salaries were owed, zero motivations & out of date military gears. Budgets for arms were looted, by PDP government. ( see The nation).

4. A situation where the suspect wins under PDP come, 2019. And the looting (bleeding) continues as predicted, due to the weakness of the state, Igbos pigs will annex south south to Biafra land for their economic benefits, i e oil. (Ibid)

However Even after they cede , just like South Sudan. Biafra will indulge in civil war, because they lack central authority in their political culture, there are villages with less than 100 peoples scattered around with stubborn kings, instead of village head, which is an ember for war ( Enugu ipob will never bow to Delta ipob). During the civil war their refugees will become a liability to Nigeria and Africa as a whole.

However the civil war of 1967 caused high rate of illiteracy amongst them, apprenticeship in spare parts, plumbing materials, armed robbery,vote selling, internet fraud, adulteration of food items, ritualism, fake drugs, hard drugs mule's, prostitutions & other vices became the new schools of today.. Hence any civil war will make them loose the little level of progress they have now.
These illiterates who happen to be the majority of Igbos pigs that have refused to travel out of south east for national integration, are the foot soldiers of any fanatic, that calls. A case study Mazi Nnamdi Kanu a, wanted fugitive by the Nigerian government, has brain washed many of these illiterates, that pogrom against hausa/Fulani was done in Aba,Enugu, Onitsha and other eastern towns.( see youtube videos) or (Naij.com)

In summary PDP are whether knowingly or unknowingly agents of the devils that want to end the political entity called Nigeria. Its high time necessary actions are taken irrespective of any blackmail or fake news made by the medias supporting these unscrupulous elements against our National interest and development.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by ladman(m): 11:38pm On Oct 10, 2018
Felixv:

There is also property tax - this is common in the US and it has nothing do with whether it is a commerical properly or not.

If you own a property abroad you should pay a property tax to your country of origin

The NASS would never pass such legislation because most of their members would be affected.

I think we should take emotion away from our responses and be more civil or else this forum would only attract unserious people.

Thank you for pointing out why it had to come as an executive order because NASS will not pass such a law. This government has not performed well but it is malicious to pull down everything the govt does.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Felixv: 11:38pm On Oct 10, 2018
Nbote:

Why are some of U like Dis? A little research from ur end could have saved us all d embarassment.. Do U even know what property tax is ??

I pay property tax -$500 a month

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by FarahAideed: 11:40pm On Oct 10, 2018
Felixv:

I pay property tax -$500 a month

You pay property tax where ? Be clear
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Felixv: 11:42pm On Oct 10, 2018
FarahAideed:

You pay property tax where ? Be clear

In the US. Pennsylvania. West Chester on a 300k properly that is mortgaged.

Dude this is common practice

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Adiwana: 11:42pm On Oct 10, 2018
Jaideyone:
the write up says they will pay 35% of what they are meant to pay if they declare and pay voluntarily before the deadline. the tax rate itself is not up to 35%

illiterate

you are just come and start crying with no knowledge grin

Dude asked you for what exchange and you had to shift away from the topic.If you are paying One off 35% tax on your assest to the govt. what are you expecting
Medical Tourism or millions of naira for his son or good roads electricity etc??You pay tax for something in return.It was a very simple and straightforward question
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by chronique(m): 11:44pm On Oct 10, 2018
I'd keep on telling Nigerians how useless the man called buhari is, and why he isn't fit to occupy his current office or any political office at all.

buhari signed an executive order tagged VOARS(voluntary offshore assets regularization scheme) with the view to checking money laundering. Under this law, Nigerian tax payers are expected to voluntarily declare all offshore assets and incomes earned to the federal government. This normally should have been a bright idea in fighting corruption but as usual, the dull thing had to spoil it by insisting that holders of such offshore assets would be mandated to pay taxes on those assets.

Now, there are Nigerians who live and work both in Nigeria and outside Nigeria. Most of these people are business men. So when they hold assets in Nigeria, they are mandated to pay taxes to the government. This isn't a problem. Where there is a problem, is asking them to pay taxes on offshore assets that are already being heavily taxed by foreign governments of those countries thereby, leading to multiple taxation. How on earth do you want to collect taxes for assets that are not under your control and jurisdiction? What benefits would accrue to the holders of these assets "if" they pay these taxes? Would the government be providing security for these assets or providing infrastructures that would improve and enhance the value of these assets? If there are no visible benefits the holders of these assets are getting, what then is the need to tax them? This is just a blatant attempt to take advantage of the citizens while offering them nothing in return. This executive order is totally unacceptable and should not be allowed to stand without modifications. I am in support of declaring all assets but taxing them is tantamount to committing armed robbery.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Buterflyle0: 11:44pm On Oct 10, 2018
FarahAideed:

This butterfly you will just be buzzing about displaying your short sightedness .... now answer my questions

What kind of assets is the govt referring to ? Fixed asset, stocks, liquid asset or Offshore Businesses?

What category of people is this tax targeted at ?

1 : political exposed persons?
2: Nigerians the acquired assets offshore using income earned in Nigeria?

3 : Any asset at all owned by any Nigerian including those working and living abroad ?

I heard you shallow mind say it's targeted at rich so why don't you tell us what value of properties offshore will be targeted ?

Its obvious you are a doofus.

Read what I extracted for you in the OP again.

Are you such a blockhead?

He also said that according to the order, “any taxpayer who truthfully and voluntarily complies with the conditions of the scheme, pays a one-time levy of 35 percent on the total offshore assets or pays all outstanding taxes, penalties and interest after forensic audit of their offshore assets and income shall obtain immunity from prosecution for tax offenses and offences related to offshore assets, among others.

“Equally, failure of any defaulting taxpayer to take advantage of this scheme shall, at the expiration of the scheme result in investigation and enforcement procedures concerning offshore assets anywhere in the world pursuant to information now readily available through automatic exchange of information between Nigeria and foreign countries.”

He said in accordance with the new order, the federal government, through the office of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, will set up a VOARS in Switzerland for all categories of taxpayers who have defaulted in the declaration of their offshore assets, payment of taxes due and collectible subject to the fulfillment of the terms and conditions as stipulated in the order, or any other subsequent complementary regulations that follow.

To avoid the abuse of this process, he said, the federal government makes clear that the “scheme is open to all persons, entities, and their intermediaries holding offshore assets and are in default of their tax obligations in any way, including those who are not already under investigation by law enforcement agencies in Nigeria or any other country and have not been charged with any crimes including theft of public funds or obtaining offshore assets through corrupt practices.”

In signing the order, Mr Shehu said Mr Buhari noted that under Nigerian law, every citizen has the duty to declare his or her income and assets and pay taxes on them but regretted that this, in most instances, had not been the case.

“The sad reality is that efforts to recover these taxes from defaulters through litigation are often frustrated by the complications caused by the change in the character and nature of such assets, insufficient financial intelligence, long delays in courts, among several other reasons,” the presidential aide said.

I have highlighted the places that touched on your rather silly questions.

You do not expect this executive order to be released in full details do you? Those this affects would be given access to a copy so they can be brought up to speed per details.

You obviously own zilch in your pocket how much more abroad so shut it and let those in the know speak rather than mouthing off your ignorance everywhere

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by FarahAideed: 11:46pm On Oct 10, 2018
Felixv:

How is this the same thing ? Doesn't every Nigerian also pay land use charge on every house they own ? So are you ready to pay 35 percent tax to Buhari on your 300k property which is 105 thousand USD...

The Buhari executive order is saying you owe his govt 105 thousand USD on your 300k property ..are you ok with that and when are you paying?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by lexy2014: 11:48pm On Oct 10, 2018
milemimi93:

Indeed common sense is not common..

If someone is good today, does it means or is it an assurance that the person will be good forever?

Atiku was a good person as at when these comments about him was made..

Get sense may brother

At your question.. There's time for everything under the sun. This is the time to arrest the criminal
this is typical of APC and its supporters. d use of invectives and personal attacks to pass on their message. am sure u can make ur point without getting personal. like i told u, dont say something u cant defend cause already i should b d one telling u about sense deficiency but i dont do that. i believe in giving people d benefit of d doubt.

atiku was a good person when those statements were made u say. what made him good then and what made him bad now? d money APC said he stole, was it stolen b4 those statements were made or after d statements were made? pls check d dates again

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Nobody: 11:48pm On Oct 10, 2018
next....
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by FarahAideed: 11:48pm On Oct 10, 2018
Buterflyle0:

Its obvious you are a doofus.

Read what I extracted for you in the OP again.

Are you such a blockhead?

I have highlighted the places that touched on your rather silly questions.

You do not expect this executive order to be released in full details do you? Those this affects would be given access to a copy so they can be brought up to speed per details.

You obviously own zilch in your pocket how much more abroad so shut it and let those in the know speak rather than mouthing off your ignorance everywhere

You are clearly not a smart person

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by samsam2019: 11:49pm On Oct 10, 2018
it's an executive order. nothing major abeg
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Felixv: 11:50pm On Oct 10, 2018
ladman:

Thank you for pointing out why it had to come as an executive order because NASS will not pass such a law. This government has not performed well but it is malicious to pull down everything the govt does.

Let's be fair ,we are not industrialized, we are consumers - eventually we would pay for our recklessness - no light , no good roads ,endemic corruption and a terrible education system.

Sooner or later this mess would catch up. And it has - nobody can create jobs in a country where there is no pwer ,we can cry to the high heavens it won't work.

This country is doomed until we make sacrifices - that, we do not want to do -; good luck with atiku I guess he is the master fraudster suited for a fraudulent society
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Nbote(m): 11:52pm On Oct 10, 2018
Felixv:

Dude this is common practice

Y are U beating around d bush...? It is common to pay property tax on any and every property TO D RELEVANT AUTHORITIES OF JURISDICTION b it county, state or the Federal authorities... Do U pay tax to d US authorities for ur property here in Nigeria since U work there and bring their money back here??

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by milemimi93(m): 11:53pm On Oct 10, 2018
lexy2014:

this is typical of APC and its supporters. d use of invectives and personal attacks to pass on their message. am sure u can make ur point without getting personal. like i told u, dont say something u cant defend cause already i should b d one telling about sense deficiency but i dont do that. i believe in giving people d benefit of d doubt.

atiku was a good person when those statements were made u say. what made him good then and what made him bad now? d money APC said he stole, was it stolen b4 those statements were made or after d statements were made? pls check d dates again

He stole before those statements were made.. But those statements were made when it wasn't cleared that he stole.

For example.. U have a friend.. He stole a car and you are not aware.. U will still see him as a good friend until the day u discovered that he is a criminal..

APC then didn't know that Atiku is a criminal.. After much investigation they discovered who he is..

He will go to jail...

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Buterflyle0: 11:56pm On Oct 10, 2018
FarahAideed:

How is this the same thing ? Doesn't every Nigerian also pay land use charge on every house they own ? So are you ready to pay 35 percent tax to Buhari on your 300k property which is 105 thousand USD...

The Buhari executive order is saying you owe his govt 105 thousand USD on your 300k property ..are you ok with that and when are you paying?

Stop pretending to be blind.

Let me post the answer to you again

35 percent on the total offshore assets or pays all outstanding taxes, penalties and interest after forensic audit of their offshore assets

That portion clearly tells you that this is for tax defaulters.

There are two options. 35% is one and the other option is to pay all outstanding taxes and penalties and interest after an audit.

This is standard practice anywhere.

The law is on the side of the government because our tax laws cover this. What has been happening has been POOR IMPLEMENTATION due to deliberate sabotage by the same elite who own these properties abroad. This is obviously the main reason he had to do this via an executive order. A right step in the right direction.

Next step would be full and proper implementation.

I forsee around 1000 to 3000 jobs created from this alone because Nigeria has too many elite tax defaulters who own properties abroad.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Timi1990(m): 11:57pm On Oct 10, 2018
Jaideyone:
mumu talk. keep making a fool of yourself.

the law is targeted at getting money from Nigerians that are rich so the money can be used to repair roads and build public hospitals and schools that the poor and average people like you and I will benefit from more but you are still complaining.

your education is a waste!!!

The little one they’ve collected internally can they give a proper account of it ?
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Buterflyle0: 11:57pm On Oct 10, 2018
FarahAideed:

You are clearly not a smart person

The doofus is actually you who has been blinded by hatred for the FG that you would even lie to yourself over something that is common practice in other nations

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Jaideyone(m): 11:57pm On Oct 10, 2018
Adiwana:

Dude asked you for what exchange and you had to shift away from the topic.If you are paying One off 35% tax on your assest to the govt. what are you expecting
Medical Tourism or millions of naira for his son or good roads electricity etc??You pay tax for something in return.It was a very simple and straightforward question
you see how you all fail exams?

first you illiterates were ranting as if the law is a bad one now you are insinuating buhari is looking for money to embezzle. you are not as clever as you are trying hard to appear.

if you have any proof buhari is embezzling taxes bring it forward and stop making unfounded allegations.

There is FIRS and the income of the agency is public knowledge. in fact FIRS has achieved record tax collection under buhari and the country has benefited greatly from him.

stop throwing unfounded allegations around like the monies will enter buhari's personal account

illiterate

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Felixv: 11:59pm On Oct 10, 2018
Nbote:

Y are U beating around d bush...? It is common to pay property tax on any and every property TO D RELEVANT AUTHORITIES OF JURISDICTION b it county, state or the Federal authorities... Do U pay tax to d US authorities for ur property here in Nigeria since U work there and bring their money back here??

I made reference to properly tax in the US . Is that the same as buhari's execitive order ? It certainly is not --lets not take this out of context.

Now , if I reside in that house - my primary residence then I don't owe buhari a cent. Hmmm

The 35% mentioned is a levy - I guess more like a fine , but I believe the EO is mainly aimed that those guys who have many houses abroad (money launderers)

Every year I had to make tax returns in the states - the US government would ask you to list any properties you own abroad and tax them. I can upload a typical tax return form if you want to see it.

You have to list all properties and foreign buisnesses and you will be taxed.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Adiwana: 12:04am On Oct 11, 2018
Jaideyone:
you see how you all fail exams?

first you illiterates were ranting as if the law is a bad one now you are insinuating buhari is looking for money to embezzle. you are not as clever as you are trying hard to appear.

if you have any proof buhari is embezzling taxes bring it forward and stop making unfounded allegations.

There is FIRS and the income of the agency is public knowledge. in fact FIRS has achieved record tax collection under buhari and the country has benefited greatly from him.

stop throwing unfounded allegations around like the monies will enter buhari's personal account

illiterate

And where does the money go? My pocket,Our education system,infrastructures,Economy,Power??The taxes they collect in Nigeria alone goes where??And you think with new policy,Enough money is now available to turn Nigeria to heaven.You are such a clown
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by milemimi93(m): 12:04am On Oct 11, 2018
lexy2014:

Don't quote me again concerning this criminal. Quote me on something good..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by slightlyMad(f): 12:05am On Oct 11, 2018
And what will happen if i dont?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Ihateyoumod: 12:08am On Oct 11, 2018
Is this within d law? If yes! Then what is our problem now. Will it be of benifits to Nigerians living here....yes!!!!.....the same nigerians, the same common man this policy will affect is d same one fighting it n crying over it. What is wrong with u people sef.

Do not let this paid agents tht have infiltrated this platform because of their masters peanut fool u. Think for urselfs o

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by lexy2014: 12:09am On Oct 11, 2018
milemimi93:

He stole before those statements were made.. But those statements were made when it wasn't cleared that he stole.

For example.. U have a friend.. He stole a car and you are not aware.. U will still see him as a good friend until the day u discovered that he is a criminal..

APC then didn't know that Atiku is a criminal.. After much investigation they discovered who he is..

He will go to jail...

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I no fit laugh.....

So all d while atiku was spending money on APC, they couldnt ask Atiku where he got d money from. they were just eating his stolen money? So b4 now APC didnt no Atiku stole money? so when did they now no? who conducted d "much investigation" that made APC discover who Atiku is? wheres d report of d investigation?
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by lexy2014: 12:10am On Oct 11, 2018
milemimi93:

this is something good.... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Badgers14: 12:10am On Oct 11, 2018
Racoon:
What utter cluelessness! Violating the sovereignity of a country by coming to collect tax therein? Are Nigerians residing off-shore not paying taxes already to their host countries

Will this misplace policy applies to foreign multi-conglomerate companies doing business in Nigeria with branches/headquarters oversea e.g.MTN, Shopright, UAC etc?

See how the president is disgracing Nigeria still by exporting his cluelessness internationally This will definitively lead to diplomatic row with any country concerned.Any wonder he have F9 in economics and maths? cry

Sir/Madam.

You might be misunderstanding the law.

Although I supported the election of Buhari and I am disappointed with the way he ran the affairs of the country.

The executive order was not violating any country's sovereignty. Countries can legally require their citizens to pay offshore taxes.

U.S citizens for example are required to declare and pay taxes for all foreign assets. Actually U.S citizens are required to pay taxes even if they don't live in the U.S.

The only thing though is that the best route would have been for Congress to pass a law and not an executive order.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by lexy2014: 12:14am On Oct 11, 2018
milemimi93:
as u usual, u have made bogus claims which u couldnt defend. now u are taking to ur heels
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by babeosisi: 12:15am On Oct 11, 2018
These people are eediots
What reasonable things have they done with the taxes collected in Nigeria.
This is just another Avenue to steal
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Blue3k(m): 12:15am On Oct 11, 2018
Lol this going to slow down repatriation of offshore money. Seriously who wants get taxed once then pay another 35%. The US tax system sucks in that regard and lots of companies just let the cash sit outside.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Kemi Olunloyo Wears #RevolutionNow Beret (Photos) / Buhari Suspends Modibbo Kawu On ICPC's Recommendation / Soldiers Working With Boko Haram Expose Civilian Collaborators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.