Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,805 members, 7,824,342 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) (34433 Views)

Buhari Signs Amendment To Executive Order 008 On VOARS / Buhari Signs Law Stopping VPs Who Complete President’s Tenure / Atiku Reacts As Buhari Signs "Not Too Young To Run" Bill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by anselaw(m): 5:50am On Oct 11, 2018
buhari na fraud....executive order myfoot
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by BruncleZuma: 5:52am On Oct 11, 2018
grin grin grin grin
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by ochiosa(m): 5:55am On Oct 11, 2018
When you have not be able to collect on the ones domiciled here u are talking of the ones outside. Just arrest who u want to arrest and stop disturbing us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by myrates: 5:57am On Oct 11, 2018
Of all important bills put foward to the president and rejected by him, it is this stupid executive order that will further inflict pains on off shore investments of Nigerians he could sign. Clueless and incompetent president....
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Ooduavoice: 6:18am On Oct 11, 2018
milemimi93:
Sai baba

and all the while he was in apc, he was a saint abi.

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Youngdamie(m): 6:28am On Oct 11, 2018
When u ordain an illiterate to rule a nation, how do u expect him to rule without foolishness 0
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by olajide8(m): 6:35am On Oct 11, 2018
jaxxy:

Even if u over/double tax and fight corruption if u don't have a good understanding of how the economy works u are inevitably bound to fail.

But then shouldn't this have been done earlier? It's better late then never thou
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Ihateyoumod: 6:41am On Oct 11, 2018
chronique:

Eeya, poor thing. You wish I was like you but unfortunately, God done win for my life. Focus on your frsc job hunt and pray they employ you to stand by the roadside to check for vehicles with expired tyres. But in case you do not make it, I'd be willing to employ you as a cleaner at home cos my current cleaner isn't doing the job too well. You can think about it and give it a try. I pay well though.

Like I said u can claim to be dangotes business partner........doesn't border me. Empty barrels they say make d loudest noise.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by richiepolymer(m): 6:41am On Oct 11, 2018
Oga, foreign countries do it! If you are an American citizen living in Nigeria and have assets in Nigeria, you pay taxes back to U.S on all your earnings in Nigeria.

OkaNaUbe:
How possible? Is it within Nigeria's jurisdiction to tax offshore assets

Maybe you will collect it from Daura.
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by richiepolymer(m): 6:47am On Oct 11, 2018
It is so sad to see that many Nigerian youths are just filled with hate but have empty heads. Only noodles in their skulls. You guys have access to phones and internet yet cannot as much as find out if this is obtainable in other climes. You only rush to Nairaland to rain curses on every move the President makes.
No american living outside America will dare not pay taxes back to america! Go find it out.
Many Nigerians with assets outside Nigeria, have in one way or the other stolen from Nigeria to buy assets which they maintain in foreign lands. Nigeria deserves to collect taxes from them.
So stop with the mumu comments that expose your ignorance.
Another 72 year old has been giving opportunity by you all to contest and its a clear indication that youths are kings in social media.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by GBAREN: 7:09am On Oct 11, 2018
Nbote:
Lolzzz... With each passing day dis govt jus proves how absolutely clueless dey are... How do U expect to collect taxes on properties in other countries? Are U d one providing infrastructures and facilities those properties enjoy?

Reading is one thing understanding is anoda thing... Im now certain U ppl have mucus in ur heads for brains... If U cannot read and cannot understand, don't go about exposing how dumb U are... Here's wat d UK legislation says...
[b]
On December 11, the Government published draft legislation outlining new taxes and charges which will have to be paid by offshore companies which own property in the UK. Although a consultation document on the topic was issued in May, there have been some significant changes since then – and property owners should start to plan accordingly before the laws come into force.
The main features of the proposed legislation will affect properties which are valued at more than £2 million and which are owned by “non-natural persons”. (This is a reference to foreign companies, partnerships, funds and the like, not to persons with strange personal habits.)
Previously many foreign buyers of UK property have chosen to register their properties in the name of an offshore company in order to eradicate UK inheritance tax (IHT), which would otherwise be charged at 40 per cent on the whole value of the property, after allowances, upon the death of the owner. Offshore company ownership also facilitated the avoidance of stamp duty (SDLT), as any subsequent sale of the property could be affected by a transfer of the shares in the company, leaving the title to the property in the UK unaltered.
But all that is about to change. Offshore companies which own property worth over £2 million will now be faced with:
1. An annual charge of a minimum of £15,000 and a maximum of £140,000 depending on value. The new tax is called Annual Residential Property Tax (ARPT)

[/b]

Which part of dis document says d UK taxes it's citizens for foreign properties abeg?? D document simply says d UK will now tax OFFSHORE COMAPNIES who own PROPERTIES IN THE UK!!!! not in their countries

forget the idiot, just wake with smell mouth come they write rubbish, what kind of Order in that, so because i am a Nigerian citizen I should pay tax to Nigerian government for my Properties abroad, that is the meaning, what kind of order is that, Dont worry they will bury that order in court until this government is sent out, I believe we can now see our clueless this govt is

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Livefreeordieha(m): 7:12am On Oct 11, 2018
Daboomb:
`

You cant even write coherently!?
Just read the gibberish you wrote up there..... cant make any sense out of it.

not suprised you couldn't.. It's beyond what ur brain can interpret to your deluded mind for comprehension..How u type insanely conveniently just goes to show why in a community of 1000 people you and your likes will conduct elections there and fabricate 1m votes and 500k rejected/void....

I'm beyond ur league in all facets of life...I see u from up bro and i pity every cell and organelles that are struggling to keep u alive..Because really ur existence should be deemed as existence in futility...

Wasted spermatozoa!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by bejeria101(m): 7:26am On Oct 11, 2018
Panic mode! Display of intergrity and stupidity.
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by ebiem(m): 7:26am On Oct 11, 2018
Even UK residents pay foreign income/investment taxes. Nigerians everything isn't politics, that's why even Fayose can make senseless sense sometimes, let's be civilised for once undecided undecided undecided
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Excallibur(m): 7:27am On Oct 11, 2018
Patriotism should have started from when you were canvassing for delegates vote.
Grateful Sir. Yours sincerely.[we don't need money to vote for him infact we will pay to vote for him...grin
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by VULCAN(m): 7:58am On Oct 11, 2018
A lot of BMC's are now comparing Taxation in Nigeria with that of US, the question that now should be asked is if Nigeria is also providing it's citizens with the benefits of Taxation that the US provides to its citizens.

They call them zombies for a very good reason

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by JacksonOyibo: 7:58am On Oct 11, 2018
smiley
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by chronique(m): 8:46am On Oct 11, 2018
Ihateyoumod:

Like I said u can claim to be dangotes business partner........doesn't border me. Empty barrels they say make d loudest noise.

I don't need to be on dangote level to talk. The fact is that I own and run an existing biz that is registered and has been existing for more than 10 yrs and through it, others put food on their table. Me and you no be mate; find your level. When you have the capacity to run a biz for more than 10 yrs without folding up, you can come and talk to me.
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Rafaell(m): 8:54am On Oct 11, 2018
Nbote:
Lolzzz... With each passing day dis govt jus proves how absolutely clueless dey are... How do U expect to collect taxes on properties in other countries? Are U d one providing infrastructures and facilities those properties enjoy?

Reading is one thing understanding is anoda thing... Im now certain U ppl have mucus in ur heads for brains... If U cannot read and cannot understand, don't go about exposing how dumb U are... Here's wat d UK legislation says...
[b]
On December 11, the Government published draft legislation outlining new taxes and charges which will have to be paid by offshore companies which own property in the UK. Although a consultation document on the topic was issued in May, there have been some significant changes since then – and property owners should start to plan accordingly before the laws come into force.
The main features of the proposed legislation will affect properties which are valued at more than £2 million and which are owned by “non-natural persons”. (This is a reference to foreign companies, partnerships, funds and the like, not to persons with strange personal habits.)
Previously many foreign buyers of UK property have chosen to register their properties in the name of an offshore company in order to eradicate UK inheritance tax (IHT), which would otherwise be charged at 40 per cent on the whole value of the property, after allowances, upon the death of the owner. Offshore company ownership also facilitated the avoidance of stamp duty (SDLT), as any subsequent sale of the property could be affected by a transfer of the shares in the company, leaving the title to the property in the UK unaltered.
But all that is about to change. Offshore companies which own property worth over £2 million will now be faced with:
1. An annual charge of a minimum of £15,000 and a maximum of £140,000 depending on value. The new tax is called Annual Residential Property Tax (ARPT)

[/b]

Which part of dis document says d UK taxes it's citizens for foreign properties abeg?? D document simply says d UK will now tax OFFSHORE COMAPNIES who own PROPERTIES IN THE UK!!!! not in their countries
dun mind that Ozùwò called Jaideyone... he is the biggest ILLITERATE av seen on Nairaland !!
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 11, 2018
Jaideyone:
see a lot of illiterates insulting buhari when it's obvious developed countries have similar laws

a simple Google search could have saved this multitude from embarrassing themselves.

btw 99.9999% of the people crying don't even own a pin abroad o grin

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/expat-money/9760320/How-to-escape-the-offshore-property-tax-trap.html

https://international-adviser.com/surprise-dip-offshore-held-property-tax/

https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/income-tax/tax-on-property-and-rental-income/tax-on-overseas-property-acq0f5m4vw5v
atleast you didnt forget to use the bolded word. If you want to compare ,better be ready to go all the way ,not half way.
We should then look at the system ,the standard of living and the corruption level .
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by trillville(m): 9:16am On Oct 11, 2018
1StopRudeness

You see ur life..we have the same annual budget with a country 5times our size in land mass and almost a population of 400million people...

I compared Nigeria to New York not the whole United States of America.

Yet we are running a senate that's eating our money to the ground..senator deno melaye has more than 10cars worth nothing less than 90million naira each..and he flaunts it on our faces daily...that's just one of them.

How are we going to stop this? Only by protest. Nigerians are not exposed enough and lack the culture of protesting. My solution: Increase taxes on rich fellows and use funds to educate the masses. Taxes would make the rich fight each other which is a good thing. If you look at the Senate, it is getting saturated with former governors. Everyone of them wants government patronage and there's just not enough room for all of them. This is the beauty of democracy. It may take time, but eventually it will work.

China runs a temporary senate system that gathers only to make laws get paid for their sitting and dismissed to go back to their permanent jobs like every other citizen...

Great!

Ogaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Extra tax collection is not our problem. alot of people aren't even employed to begin with, who do u want to tax, the rich people this law is targeted upon...please how many are they...

Our total government revenue as at last year's was equal to 6 percent of our GDP. this is common knowledge. At about 400 billion our total revenue last year was about 24 billion USD. if you have better statistics than the bill and Melinda gates foundation, please provide it for us.

Please, do some research at the weekend, I know you bankers can be very busy. Learn about Dutch disease.
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by sokera: 9:37am On Oct 11, 2018
Livefreeordieha:
u are a dafttttt person..Very watery personality u must possess.. I doubt ur sanity...U don't knock a child and still ask the child not to cry.....Discourage them from investing abroad..??.Guy gerraout from cyberspace before ogun use ur blood learn swimming Olympics..so they should come invest in corruption,backwardness in barbaric manner ofcourse.,kidnappings,ridiculous light tarriffs that is not provided though,no good roads no government security...In a quick wrap we Nigerians provide everything even ordinary pipeborne water that is ur fundamental human right to av from infantry same is access to health care until u turn 18....Don't say diz type of nonsense again in public u will only be inviting reproach and disgusts to ursef..
I should have argue with you but it’s difficult to argue with frustrated people, and again I don’t argue with illiterates
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by sokera: 9:43am On Oct 11, 2018
Timi1990:

There are average Nigerians who have assets in Ghana , South Africa, Uk and USA ; the reason why they invest in those countries is because of their stable economy, security of assets and social infrastructure available. Tell me if any of this is available in Nigeria ?
but yet we still have foreign investors here in Nigeria, If foreigners can come to invest in Nigeria despite Lack of basic amenities why would not Nigerians not invest here ... the truth is that this policy will help the poor ...

1 Like

Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Livefreeordieha(m): 10:11am On Oct 11, 2018
sokera:
I should have argue with you but it’s difficult to argue with frustrated people, and again I don’t argue with illiterates
go get a life mediocre!
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by niyidenrele: 10:34am On Oct 11, 2018
So Atiku.that is promising restructuring, will not step on toes?... how about the billionaires that are gaining from d system will they b happy ,see anything that will help d country achieved her aim is welcome with me..
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by ladychioma: 10:46am On Oct 11, 2018
This man is exposing his ignorance the more.This implies double taxation for foreign asset investors
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by positivethought: 11:13am On Oct 11, 2018
Daboomb:

I find the below, informative, especially the Chart.

**https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_taxation**

I am trying to avoid the ban of spambot here. angry angry

This one explains their own in more details

**https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/if-you-have-any-assets-overseas-you-need-to-read-this-1.3056747**

This here is also very informative but summarised:

**http://premieroffshore.com/which-countries-tax-worldwide-income/**

This one gives practical exmples, especially for the ignorant lots here who have been crying foul. grin grin

**https://taxfoundation.org/how-countries-define-their-income-tax-borders-0/**

The good thing is that One can renounce one's nationality while retaining the foreign/acquired nationality, as a lot of Americans are doing (wait times for Renounciation is as long as one year in U.S foreign embassies!) if you feel your country is taxing you too much and you are not getting any benefit from it.

Cunning-man die, Cunning-man bury him! undecided undecided

OK let saint buhari carry on,but I hope it will not be the usual biased persecution of perceived enemies n political opponents while turning a blind eye n deaf ear to supporters n companions,Like the courts are now practically forcing the EFCC to do their jobs against oshiomole ooh,charity begins at home,let buhari start with buratai.by the way for clarity sake,does it mean if I have an investment in Ghana now I will have to pay taxes on that investment to Ghanaian authorities n also pay to Nigeria or does this order only refers to investment suspected to be from corrupt money?.
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Rafaell(m): 11:19am On Oct 11, 2018
unitysheart:

Before you rant, check if USA and other countries do the same.
Google is your friend.
my frehn, shattappp !!! U yourself that have googled, tell us what U read. Yeye !
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Mftivi: 11:27am On Oct 11, 2018
Jaideyone:
God bless you!!!

someone is seeing what is happening now.

Nigerians are too daft to appreciate a good leader

BIG FOOL!
Re: Buhari Signs Voluntary Offshore Assets Regularisation Scheme (VOARS) by Mftivi: 11:56am On Oct 11, 2018
ebiem:
Even UK residents pay foreign income/investment taxes. Nigerians everything isn't politics, that's why even Fayose can make senseless sense sometimes, let's be civilised for once undecided undecided undecided
Oga UK dont operate double taxation! no country operates double taxation! are you mad ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Proof Buhari's/APC Fuel Subsidy Is A Scam Planned Months Ago To Decieve Us / Chido Onumah: DSS Arrested Me For Wearing 'We Are All Biafrans' T-shirt (Photos) / Tinubu Did Not Sign His INEC Forms EC 13A & EC9 Forms - Gazette (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.