Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,109 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph (35085 Views)

Wike Is Set To Broker Obi-Kwankwaso Ticket On LP - New Telegraph / SW Leaders Put Pressure On Osinbajo To Step Down For Tinubu / Buhari VS Atiku: How States Will Vote - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by BeeBeeOoh(m): 5:33am On Oct 13, 2018
• Former president still angry as at PDP convention

• OBJ delayed foreign trip to receive Atiku

Why did former Pre s i d e n t O l u s e g u n O b a s a n j o suddenly forgive his erstwhile deputy, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar? Was there any truce called for reconciliation? Who could have been the intermediary behind the scene? Was there a deal between the duo? What was the reason for Obasanjo’s sudden change of mind? These and many more are the questions agitating the minds of many Nigerians after Obasanjo’s open endorsement of Atiku during the latter’s visit to his Abeokuta home on Thursday. O basanjo had earlier vowed never to support Atiku on the basis that he knew so much about his former deputy that would not allow him support the Turakin Adamawa for the exalted office. But on Thursday, he made U-turn to the surprise of many people.

Obasanjo still angry a week ago

However, Saturday Telegraph can reveal that as at last Sunday when Atiku was picked as the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Obasanjo was still angry and even hoped that he didn’t emerge from the primary. Sources close to the former president explained that Obasanjo would not have changed his stance if not the pressure from high-level quarters.

“But for the caliber of individuals that waded into the matter and persuaded him, baba couldn’t have supported Atiku. Those people calling and seeing him are not those he can easily ignore. “ATiku has really done his home work. He reached out to so many people that in turn reached out to baba. These people had been mounting pressure on him to change his stance and support Atiku.

“He has no choice than to agree. More so, when he knows that Atiku is the only option available to him because he couldn’t have gone back to his vomit on President Muhammadu Buhari. “He brought Umar Yar’Adua, he was disappointed, he brought Goodluck Jonathan, he was disappointed, he supported Buhari, and he was disappointed. What else could he have done? Is it not better to back the one you know his capabilities?”

Atiku mounted pressure on VIPs

Further investigations by our correspondent showed that Atiku’s reach to some prominent individuals within and outside the country and their subsequent pressure on the former president was the masterstroke that made Obasanjo to soft pedal and gave his backing to Atiku. An ally of the former president, who claimed to be in the know of happenings during the period, explained that the last oneweek had been of intense lobby and pressure on Obasanjo, from some Africans leaders who believed that the Nigerian situation needs to be salvaged. “I can confirm to you that there had been so much pressure on Baba to support Atiku.

I can confirm to you that people like Pastors Enoch Adeboye, W.F Kumuyi and Bishop David Oyedepo spoke with baba. I can also tell you that people who matter outside Nigeria had been calling him. “In fact, Baba was still angry as at Sunday during the PDP convention. But with the caliber of people mounting pressure and with the need to remedy the current situation, he had no choice”.

Though the source could not confirm those talking to Obasanjo from outside the country, he agreed that there had been visible signs of such interactions in the last few days. “I won’t tell you about those calling from outside Nigeria but we have seen traces of such in the last one week. I may not be able to confirm specific individuals to you as of now. But I won’t say you are wrong in that area”.

Some African leaders involved

However, our correspondent gathered from other sources that some of African leaders include two former Ghanaian presidents and a former Vice President of South Africa. The others sources insisted that the outsiders are those who believe in the ability of Atiku to move Nigeria out of the woods and had been asking Obasanjo to toe their path and work with them to ensure the emergence of the former number two citizen. “I won’t give you their names but I can tell you that some of those that have ruled and are still ruling some Africa countries that matter, are in support of Atiku and they have told baba that much. “They had even been invited to meet some of these leaders outside the continent.

They are supposed to meet in Asia and Europe but that would depend on how baba want to arrange his schedule”. To buttress her point, the female source hinted that Obasanjo left the country immediately after receiving Atiku, explaining that “baba would have traveled but delayed the trip to receive his former deputy. “As I am talking to you, baba is on his way to meet some of the people that had invited him over Nigeria’s future.

He left after meeting with Atiku and talking to the press. “You heard what he said during Atiku’s visit. He has endorsed the man and he will give the feedback to those talking to him when he arrives their meeting. “Though he is going for his usual business meetings, I am sure he will use that opportunity to put in a word on the matter. The Nigerian election has become a source of concern for many people around the world”, he said.

Obasanjo working to clear Atiku in US –APC

However, the All Progressives Congress seemed to be laying credence to the hints that Obasanjo may be working with some power brokers outside the continent. In a statement issued by yesterday by its Ag. National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Yekini Nabena, the party said it came across credible reports that Obasanjo was making moves to secure United States entry visa for Atiku Abubakar.

The party said: “It is learnt that that the former President who during and after leaving office insisted on Atiku’s unsuitability to govern Nigeria based on his knowledge of the latter’s extensive corrupt practices while he served as Vice President, is lobbying the US authorities to withdraw the ban reportedly placed on Atiku from entering the United States following a 2005 $500,000 bribery scandal that involved Atiku, his fourth wife, Jennifer and former United States Congressman, William Jefferson. “Recall that the former president while in office had deployed enormous resources of the country on a global dragnet coordinated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in getting Atiku prosecuted for corrupt enrichment and money laundering.

“A report by the United States Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, chaired by Senator Carl Levin reported that Atiku used offshore companies to siphon millions of dollars to his fourth wife in the United States, Jennifer while still the vice president of Nigeria between 2000 and 2008.

“The report further stated that then President Bush had on the strength of his report, barred Atiku and other corrupt politically exposed persons from being issued visa to the United States, a reason for which he has been unable to travel to the United States till date. “Obasanjo’s intervention in Atiku’s ban from the United States of America is evidence of Obasanjo’s legendary hypocrisy and self-serving interest in national affairs”, the party wrote.

Buhari has scored own goal –APCO

In a swift reaction, the Atiku Presidential Campaign Organisation (APCO) said it read with bemusement the panicky reaction of the Buhari Campaign Organisation to the endorsement of Atiku by Obasanjo. In a statement issued yesterday, the organisation said: “We note the insult the Buhari Campaign Organisation has heaped on former President Obasanjo, and we can only say that it was expected. The Buhari camp is very predictable.

“In trying to paint former President Olusegun Obasanjo as a flip-flopper, the Buhari Campaign Organisation shot itself in the foot. “Their statement says President Buhari was never reported to have groveled and ‘begged’ anyone for forgiveness, just to be endorsed as a Presidential candidate”. How true is this? Let the facts speak for themselves. “In an interview that the then Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) gave to Premium Times on December 24, 2012, Mr. Buhari accused both former President Olusegun Obasanjo and ex military President, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, of betrayal.

His exact words were: ‘I felt betrayed by Mr. Babangida’ and ‘I haven’t forgiven Obasanjo’. “Now, fast forward to November 13, 2013 and the same Muhammadu Buhari, visited General Babangida, who he had called a traitor, in his home in Minna and praised him to high heavens when seeking his support for his Presidential bid.

“A month later, on December 22, 2013, Mr. Buhari also visited former President Obasanjo, who he had previously savaged, and together with his party leaders, begged Obasanjo to ‘be APC’s navigator’ to victory. “From the above facts, Nigerians can see for themselves who the hypocrite is between Chief Olusegun Obasanjo and Atiku Abubakar on the one side and President Buhari.

“Moreover, we note that the Buhari Campaign Organisation, in the statement, took it upon itself to also insult the men of God who were present at that event. We are not surprised. “After all, Festus Keyamo, who signed the statement, was indicted by a young girl who provided video and documentary evidence alleging that he participated in framing up a renowned man of God on false charges. It would seem that attacking men of God is now a full-time occupation of the Buhari Campaign Organisation. “Finally, we note the disingenuous smear of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex by the Buhari Campaign Organisation. In their statement, they alleged that the library is in clear violation of the Code of Conduct for Public Officers. “Nigerians know of the notoriety of the Buhari government in using the Code of Conduct Tribunal to blackmail political opponents.

They tried and failed with Senate President Bukola Saraki and they are now trying and failing with Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu. “Funny enough, when President Muhammadu Buhari visited the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library Complex, he had words of praise for it. Today, that praise has turned to threats.

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2018/10/atiku-how-kumuyi-oyedepo-african-leaders-put-pressure-on-obj/

8 Likes

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by HungerBAD: 5:34am On Oct 13, 2018
The things I read online sometimes.

There are a lot of stories inside this one story,but let us start with the reconciliation between Obasanjo and Atiku.

I have been called a political novice here a couple of times,and since i am always open to learning, I want somebody here to educate me on how the reconciliation of Obasanjo and Atiku is beneficial to Atiku's aspiration on wanting to be the President?

Can Obasanjo deliver Ogun State,nay the West to Atiku?truth is, Obasanjo should be grateful Atiku reconciled with him, or else,he would have been a political nobody after this election cycle.

To those peddling the Obasanjo is trying to lobby the US to lift the Visa ban( if really he has) on Atiku, I have this to tell you.

There is a reason the US is not a member of OPEC,Commonwealth of Nations, never contribute Soldiers to UN peace keeping missions and a host of other things. They do not like being told what to do.

If the US has a case against Atiku, Obasanjo does not have the power to influence the US to do anything. Who is he? Let me use a little point to buttress what I am saying.

For those that have dealt with the US as regards filing for Visas for family members before. If the US suspects your application, or if you share a common name with some people of interest (happens to mostly Muslim people)they will put it into what is called an ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING(AP) and tell you they want to look into it.

AP can take anywhere from a DAY to many YEARS.

When a case is AP. Even the President of the United States by law, does not have the power to influence, bend or force the State Department to rush or take a favorable or unfavorable decision concerning that application.

If the President of the United States can't influence decisions in his own country, who is Obasanjo to influence a US internal matter?

96 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:34am On Oct 13, 2018
Sai Baba we know.

Sai Baba we want

Yes Daddy......

We are with you sir

37 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 5:38am On Oct 13, 2018
At this junction, anything to send him back to his cows is fine by me

73 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by Nobody: 5:40am On Oct 13, 2018
They are still angry with themselves?

All those previous pics for the cameras?
Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by Abdul315(m): 5:40am On Oct 13, 2018
fela Don talk am obj go use old politician way spoil Nigeria bfr still use dem scatter naija

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by IamD18: 5:42am On Oct 13, 2018
If only pastors will remain pastors only.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by Racoon(m): 5:44am On Oct 13, 2018
In trying to paint former President Olusegun Obasanjo as a flip-flopper, the Buhari Campaign Organisation shot itself in the foot. “Their statement says President Buhari was never reported to have groveled and ‘begged’ anyone for forgiveness, just to be endorsed as a Presidential candidate”. How true is this? Let the facts speak for themselves.

“In an interview that the then Major General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) gave to Premium Times on December 24, 2012, Mr. Buhari accused both former President Olusegun Obasanjo and ex military President, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, of betrayal.

His exact words were: ‘I felt betrayed by Mr. Babangida’ and ‘I haven’t forgiven Obasanjo’. “Now, fast forward to November 13, 2013 and the same Muhammadu Buhari, visited General Babangida, who he had called a traitor, in his home in Minna and praised him to high heavens when seeking his support for his Presidential bid.

“A month later, on December 22, 2013, Mr. Buhari also visited former President Obasanjo, who he had previously savaged, and together with his party leaders, begged Obasanjo to ‘be APC’s navigator’ to victory.

“From the above facts, Nigerians can see for themselves who the hypocrite is between Chief Olusegun Obasanjo and Atiku Abubakar on the one side and President Buhari.

I keep saying it.Buhari is a hypocritical & vindictive humanity.Such a person have no place in a 21st century civilization.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by SarkinYarki: 5:47am On Oct 13, 2018
Even foreign leaders are worried about the state and welfare of Nigerians under the dullard ....Kai We have been through hell under Buhari

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by domaintraderng: 5:49am On Oct 13, 2018
Any party that wants to influence Atiku's image should check my signature. Creating a single website with all positive or all negative stories about Atiku can be very useful.
Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by escodotman: 5:50am On Oct 13, 2018
Looks like the whole world, even the international community, is united against Buhari. Buhari's zombies keep saying rubbish about what Obasanjo had said about Atiku in the past, but they fail to remember what Tinubu and even el-rufai also said about Buhari in the past. I advice the tribalist to start preparing his hand over note. The worst president ever.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by JasonScoolari: 5:52am On Oct 13, 2018
I only know of Bishop Oyedepo, Kukah and the Shiekh Gumi, I don't know of Adeboye or Kumuyi. grin

13 Likes

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by Firefire(m): 5:59am On Oct 13, 2018
Buhary is a confirmed terrorist who will never be allowed to continue beyond 2019.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by Corrinthians(m): 6:00am On Oct 13, 2018
Whatever machinations they put up, I know for sure Atiku isn't gonna become president of this country anytime soon.

My only regret is for those people with a terrible herd mentality who seem to have learnt nothing from their experience with Jonathan. So eerie is the resemblance between their political attitude today and what it was three years ago, with the accompaniment of that inescapable fate, which they are likely to blame on others again!

Just sitting around a corner watching them make complete nonsense of commonsense while patting eachother's back for a job "well-done".

In due time, their folly shall serve them their deserved fortunes in good measure.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by Ayt27(m): 6:02am On Oct 13, 2018
Good morning Nairalanders...

You guys made this week awesome for me, I loved all the individual opinions, political predictions and flat out stoopid analysis.
Thank you

Still on still , I am Atikulated are you?

Have a good weekend

14 Likes

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by BIAFRONIGERIAN(m): 6:07am On Oct 13, 2018
CAN have unanimously adopted Atiku due to Buhari's segregation tendencies.
All GO's are on Atiku's side that's why they intervened for him

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by Racoon(m): 6:17am On Oct 13, 2018
".....The last one week had been of intense lobby and pressure on Obasanjo, from some Africans leaders who believed that the Nigerian situation needs to be salvaged. “

1 Like

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by Onlinealaba(m): 6:30am On Oct 13, 2018
Which of the kumuyi, you mean pastor kumuyi that was seen with Buhari some days ago..some news ehn

check my siggy, get your electronics at flat rate at payment on delivery option, BUY4ME services available

5 Likes

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by 40kobo77: 6:35am On Oct 13, 2018
HungerBAD:

There are a lot of stories inside this one story,but let us start with the reconciliation between Obasanjo and Atiku.

I have been called a political novice here a couple of times,and since i am always open to learning, I want somebody here to educate me on how the reconciliation of Obasanjo and Atiku is beneficial to Atiku's aspiration on wanting to be the President?

Can Obasanjo deliver Ogun State,nay the West to Atiku?truth is, Obasanjo should be grateful Atiku reconciled with him, or else,he would have been a political nobody after this election cycle.

To those peddling the Obasanjo is trying to lobby the US to lift the Visa ban( if really he has) on Atiku, I have this to tell you.

There is a reason the US is not a member of OPEC,Commonwealth of Nations, never contribute Soldiers to UN peace keeping missions and a host of other things. They do not like being told what to do.

If the US has a case against Atiku, Obasanjo does not have the power to influence the US to do anything. Who is he? Let me use a little point to buttress what I am saying.

For those that have dealt with the US as regards filing for Visas for family members before. If the US suspects your application, or if you share a common name with some people of interest (happens to mostly Muslim people)they will put it into what is called an ADMINISTRATIVE PROCESSING(AP) and tell you they want to look into it.

When a case is AP. Even the President of the United States by law, does not have the power to influence, bend or force the State Department to rush or take a favorable or unfavorable decision concerning that application.

If the President of the United States can't influence decisions in his own country, who is Obasanjo to influence a US internal matter?

I do not know about the rest things you wrote about. But I know about the AP thing.

The consulate I think suspected marriage to my wife,and they gave her an envelope saying our application is on AP.

Took many weeks for them to call her back and approve her application to join me.

Omoh see fasting. Even my Congress man that I approached for help, told me they have no power when a case is AP.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by capatainrambo: 6:42am On Oct 13, 2018
these re the real progressive Yorubas

not all these tribalsistic fools on nairAland.

omoluaibis will never support a failure

Yoruba ronu igbo amaka sai hausa
Esan bha doh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:46am On Oct 13, 2018
HungerBAD:

You are one of the learned and intelligent people we have around here.
#RESPECT

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by escodotman: 6:54am On Oct 13, 2018
Corrinthians:
Whatever machinations they put up, I know for sure Atiku isn't gonna become president of this country anytime soon.

My only regret is for those people with a terrible herd mentality who seem to have learnt nothing from their experience with Jonathan. So eerie is the resemblance between their political attitude today and what it was three years ago, with the accompaniment of that inescapable fate, which they are likely to blame on others again!

Just sitting around a corner watching them make complete nonsense of commonsense which patting eachother's back for a job "well-done".

In due time, their folly shall serve them their deserved fortunes in good measure.
Whether you like or not, it is obvious the defeat that is coming for your god who is presently occupying Aso villa! Going by performance, Buhari can not be compared to Jonathan. Jonathan's only ''sin'' was the boko haram events which the APC took full advantage of and politicise greatly! Buhari has been a monumental failure!

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by Peacemaker5128: 6:55am On Oct 13, 2018
Buhari till 2023

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by HungerBAD: 6:57am On Oct 13, 2018
post=72037361:

You are one of the learned and intelligent people we have around here.
#RESPECT

I feel honoured this is coming from you.

Thank you so much. Your words meant a lot thanks.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:58am On Oct 13, 2018
HungerBAD:

I feel honoured this is coming from you.

Thank you so much. Your words meant a lot thanks.
You are always welcome bro.
Have a blessed weekend ahead.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by HungerBAD: 6:58am On Oct 13, 2018
40kobo77:

I do not know about the rest things you wrote about. But I know about the AP thing.

The consulate I think suspected marriage to my wife,and they gave her an envelope saying our application is on AP.

Took many weeks for them to call her back and approve her application to join me.

Omoh see fasting. Even my Congress man that I approached for help, told me they have no power when a case is AP.

Congratulations.

Was this long ago?

9 Likes

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:59am On Oct 13, 2018
Peacemaker5128:
Buhari till 2023
Naso.com

1 Like

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by HungerBAD: 7:02am On Oct 13, 2018
post=72037632:

You are always welcome bro.
Have a blessed weekend ahead.

Thanks and you too.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku: How Kumuyi, Oyedepo, African Leaders Put Pressure On Obj - New Telegraph by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:10am On Oct 13, 2018
Hugs

Few good men......

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy Launches New Warship / FG-Siemens Power Deal: Transformers Arrive Nigeria / Jonathan Tweets About His Reception Of Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.