Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,465 members, 7,819,696 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa (8794 Views)

How To Apply For Commonwealth Scholarship / The 2020/2021 Commonwealth Scholarship Plan Application Is Out / Whatsapp Group For Commonwealth Scholarship Applicants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by olida: 11:28am On Oct 13, 2018
Application for Commonwealth 2019 scholarship application has commenced, I decided to write this article to guide all those who will be applying. http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/applicants/

The Commonwealth Scholarship is a very competitive fully funded scholarship open to applicants from any of the Commonwealth countries and it is handled by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (CSC) in the UK. As long as you are from a Commonwealth country and have not spent more than one year in a developed country, you are eligible to apply. The application requires much time considering the many stages involved; ranging from securing admission for either Master’s or PhD programme in any of the UK universities, applying to your nominating agency for nomination, applying for the scholarship on CSC Electronic Application System (EAS), securing nomination from your nominating agency and lastly securing confirmation of award from the CSC.

In my own case, getting the Commonwealth Scholarship award is more than a dream come true. And I have been getting numerous questions on how I got nominated for the Commonwealth Award by 5 nominating agencies (4 UK Universities and Nigeria’s Federal Scholarship Board FSB) when most applicants often struggle hard to secure even one nomination which is needed to secure the award. Eventually, I settled for Commonwealth Master’s Scholarship award to study MSc Communication for Development at the University of Reading. Meanwhile, I remember that in 2017 when I first applied for Commonwealth Scholarship, I was rejected by all the three universities through which I applied, but the story changed in 2018. My story then revolves around from being rejected in 2017 to securing 5 nominations in 2018. Hence, in this post, I will share some tips with you on how you can win the Commonwealth Scholarship award.

1. Research into the Commonwealth Scholarship

First thing is you need to understand that there are different forms of Commonwealth Scholarship awards. Currently there are more than six kinds of Commonwealth Scholarships and Fellowships. So it is your duty to carefully research into which of the scholarships you are eligible for and fits your career goals. In my own case, I targeted only the Commonwealth Master’s Scholarship (General) and Commonwealth Shared Scholarship because they were the only Commonwealth scholarships for Master’s degree programmes. Similarly, I researched into the nominating agencies and the peculiar requirements for each of them. In all, I will advise you take enough time to look through the official Commonwealth Scholarship website and other blogs for all necessary information you might need about the scholarship.

2. Feel free to get a previous Scholar to mentor you

This actually worked perfectly for me and it was the reason I had multiple nominations from UK universities and even Nigeria’s nominating agency (Federal Scholarship Board). In my preparations for 2018 round of application, I decided to speak with previous Commonwealth Scholars who directed me on how to present better applications. I even went as far as getting copies of their own application in order to proofread and draw ideas for my application. From this exercise, I discovered better ways through which I could improve on my application.

3. Carefully answer your essay questions, especially your home country benefit essay

A number of people have asked me how I was able to get nominated for Master’s degree programmes which were not directly in line with my undergraduate degree. For example, I was nominated for MA Religious Studies and Global Development by University of Leeds despite having my first degree in Mass Communication. The simple secret was I presented unique home country benefit essays which were peculiarly appropriate for each Master’s programme. You need to let your nominating agency and the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission realize what impact you aim to achieve on your home country if offered the scholarship. You should provide facts about a specific problem in your home country which you intend to solve and how you intend to do that. This is very important. You should also provide realistic measures you intend to take to solve the problem using knowledge and skills gathered from studying in the UK and even how you intend to measure your results from time to time. The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission takes this particular essay in high esteem. And this is where most applicants, especially Frist Class holders, miss it. They wrongly believe that having a First Class is the major ticket for getting the Commonwealth Scholarship. Even with a Second Class in your first degree, you can win the scholarship if you present a perfect overall application.

4. Engage in quality volunteering activities, publish academic papers and join professional bodies

During the course of filling your application on the CSC Electronic Application System (EAS), you will discover that there are different sections for all of these. Although they are not compulsory, they are the things that add value and weight to your application. After I realized why my 2017 application was not successful, I channeled efforts towards improving in these areas. I engaged in numerous voluntary activities, published a number of academic journal articles and joined relevant professional bodies in my field and career. In essence, the Commonwealth Scholarship application is what you diligently prepare round the year for. Another round of application for 2019/2020 will open by Oct/Nov 2018, so you must begin your preparations from now.

5. Make your entire application coherent

By ensuring that your application is coherent, I mean let there be logical interconnection with various segments of your EAS application. Your entire application should be targeted at proving that you have the capacity of influencing positive social change using skills and knowledge acquired in the UK upon return to your home country. Each segment of the application should be in tandem with your overall goal. Even if you are applying for a field different from what you studied in your first degree, you can join professional bodies in the new field or take some short courses to prove knowledge in the new field.

In sum, the Commonwealth Scholarship is a life-changing opportunity for you to change your life and as well as your home country. It will influence your career positively. Winning the award totally depends on you. Please note that winning the award is a job on its own and you have to give it your best.

Application for 2019 has now commenced. You can start now!

Damilola Olisa is a 2018 awardee of the Commonwealth Scholarship studying MSc Communication for Development at The University of Reading.

https://medium.com/damilolaolisa2012/tips-on-winning-the-commonwealth-scholarship-award-damilola-olisa-52a3b31f8603

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by essy4060: 12:50pm On Oct 13, 2018
I am confused. Do I need to forward my documents to the email stated or do I need to contact the board? Please , guide me.
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by segzysexy(m): 12:56pm On Oct 13, 2018
Thanks for dashing out this piece of information
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by candygirl4real: 4:12pm On Oct 13, 2018
Thanks for the information.
Is the scholarship open to all courses. I intend to go for phd in educational administration.
Apart from the criteria listed above, can u outline any other info. I need to know. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by olida: 10:07pm On Oct 13, 2018
essy4060:
I am confused. Do I need to forward my documents to the email stated or do I need to contact the board? Please , guide me.

You don't need to forward your documents to any email address. Apply for the scholarship on the Commonwealth website and then wait for Nigeria's Federal Scholarship Board to announce interview later this year.
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by essy4060: 4:16pm On Oct 14, 2018
Thanks.
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by ASwizzle: 9:37pm On Nov 20, 2018
Please tell us more about your interview experience. What you think you did right and wrong before and during the interview.
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by Easymicky: 5:59pm On Dec 08, 2018
olida:

You don't need to forward your documents to any email address. Apply for the scholarship on the Commonwealth website and then wait for Nigeria's Federal Scholarship Board to announce interview later this year.
Can you please help with a previous winning essay?
Okolomichael@gmail.com
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by Marshalynk: 5:47pm On Dec 09, 2018
Please can I get your contact? I want to contact you personally.. Thanks.
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by Tella26: 7:32am On Dec 24, 2018
Please guys, When is the interview slated to be? I heard starting from Jan 7th. This is not going to make sense because I was thinking Around March. Because most schools applications are still online and most of them have yet to be given offer and FSB requires u must have been given offer letter before you come for interview.
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by Ezilytina(f): 8:04pm On Dec 26, 2018
Tella26:
Please guys, When is the interview slated to be? I heard starting from Jan 7th. This is not going to make sense because I was thinking Around March. Because most schools applications are still online and most of them have yet to be given offer and FSB requires u must have been given offer letter before you come for interview.

I am having same issue
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by joeking2222: 3:39am On Dec 27, 2018
I just need a serious mentor on this abroad scholarship stuff.......please, i need someone to seriously help me out.
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by OgonnaJane: 11:48am On Dec 29, 2018
Good morning friends. Pls, how can I check if my references for Commonwealth scholarship 2019 has been submitted? Anyone has an idea?
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by playfulvivo: 3:28pm On Dec 29, 2018
Tella26:
The sure way to fasten your offer letter is
1. Go to the university website
2. Browse through the departmental staff and get a suitable supervisor (Their profile and research area) is often indicated
3. Contact him/her directly (thou some might request you send certain doc to ascertain your academic standing)
4. Once agreed to supervise you, he/she fastens the process.
Good luck to us all
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by playfulvivo: 3:31pm On Dec 29, 2018
OgonnaJane:
Good morning friends. Pls, how can I check if my references for Commonwealth scholarship 2019 has been submitted? Anyone has an idea?
A mail is often sent to you. I think it is the mail you print to present at the interview

1 Like

Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by Pr0cter: 8:38pm On Dec 29, 2018
Tella26:

Please how sure are you that the scheduled date for interview is on the 7th of January. Did you get a mail inviting you for the interview because I'm an applicant and yet to get a mail
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by mvem(m): 3:20pm On Dec 30, 2018
playfulvivo:

A mail is often sent to you. I think it is the mail you print to present at the interview
...normally an acknowledgement is sent when a referee responds... One of my referees responded and told me he received his acknowledgement mail but I did not receive any... I just received just one from a referree that responded earlier
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by brotimi(m): 7:55pm On Dec 31, 2018
Pr0cter:

Please how sure are you that the scheduled date for interview is on the 7th of January. Did you get a mail inviting you for the interview because I'm an applicant and yet to get a mail
You can find d advert on Federal Ministry of Education site, with different dates for sux geo political zones, 2 per day
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by brotimi(m): 8:13pm On Jan 02, 2019
why is the room cold like this, has d interview date changed?
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by 7thCANON: 9:28pm On Jan 03, 2019
Hello guys,

The interview notice states that prospective candidates come with "Original academic transcripts". Most Nigerian universities do not issue transcript to students. How do we go about this?
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by brotimi(m): 12:53am On Jan 04, 2019
7thCANON:
Hello guys,

The interview notice states that prospective candidates come with "Original academic transcripts". Most Nigerian universities do not issue transcript to students. How do we go about this?
Schools have started releasing transcript now to students
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by brotimi(m): 8:56pm On Jan 04, 2019
Have we lost in interest in attending the interview, as I have Promotion oral interview on Monday still in dilemma whether to attend or not
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by Zoaoa: 12:48pm On Jan 05, 2019
Who else doesn't have an offer letter from University yet but is still going for the interview anyways?
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by brotimi(m): 1:12pm On Jan 05, 2019
Zoaoa:
Who else doesn't have an offer letter from University yet but is still going for the interview anyways?
I don't think it worth a journey being embark upon if all requirements are not in one's possession except, he is Abuja resident
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by Zoaoa: 7:44am On Jan 08, 2019
brotimi:

I don't think it worth a journey being embark upon if all requirements are not in one's possession except, he is Abuja resident

So, I went eventually and I was interviewed. They understood that most schools are just resuming from break, hence delay in application processing.

1 Like

Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by EjekwuOdani: 11:28am On Jan 08, 2019
Zoaoa:

So, I went eventually and I was interviewed. They understood that most schools are just resuming from break, hence delay in application processing.

That's great Zoaoa! How'd it go? Please can you share what the atmosphere was like, what you'd have done better with hindsight, and general advice you'd give to applicants yet to be interviewed? Thanks a lot.
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by Zoaoa: 12:36pm On Jan 08, 2019
[quote author=EjekwuOdani post=74560900]

That's great Zoaoa! How'd it go? Please can you share what the atmosphere was like, what you'd have done better with hindsight, and general advice you'd give to applicants yet to be interviewed? Thanks a lot. [/quote

https://www.nairaland.com/4946232/preparing-
This is a very comprehensive essay on the interview process. I will just add that you take along all your certificate up to WASC and any volunteering certificate you have.
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by EjekwuOdani: 3:10pm On Jan 08, 2019
[quote author=Zoaoa post=74562849][/quote]

I've read this before. Thank you for your response.
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by brotimi(m): 7:48pm On Jan 24, 2019
We don't know what is happening here again
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by brotimi(m): 2:16pm On Jan 26, 2019
Anyone with information on the interview nominations, deadline date to submit to had passed yet no communication from FSB.
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by ayo55(m): 1:00am On Jan 31, 2019
Hi, thanks for this indepth post. Please I will like to ask, is it all the CSC that passes through FSB?
Re: Tips for Commonwealth Scholarship Award  —  Damilola Olisa by Akposy(m): 9:17pm On Feb 03, 2019
Olida. please I need guidance. I am applying for Commonwealth Shared Scholarship UK

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian AGIP Oil Company Ltd Scholarship Awards Scheme. / COVID-19: UNILAG Reopens Hostels After Six Weeks, To Start Exams / Admission To Study In Malaysian Universities!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.