Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

We Never Promised Restructuring In 2015-APC Dep. National Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Never Promised Restructuring In 2015-APC Dep. National Chairman (408 Views)

Why I Opened A Can Of Worms – PDP Dep. National Chairman, Taofeek Arapaja / EFCC Claims That Over N1.3 Trillion Was Stolen Between 2011 And 2015, APC Retwee / IPOB Protests Against Restructuring In Port-Harcourt (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Never Promised Restructuring In 2015-APC Dep. National Chairman by mushystuff: 2:18pm On Oct 13, 2018
In this interview with JOHN ALECHENU, the Deputy National Chairman (North) of the All Progressives Congress, Senator Lawal Shuiabu, speaks about the just concluded governorship and National Assembly primaries, the party’s chances in 2019 and sundry other national issues.

How is the All Progressives Congress handling disputes arising from your recently concluded governorship and National Assembly primaries held across the country?

Well, it’s true we have some issues. Realising that we didn’t have much time, our National Chairman (Adams Oshiomhole) decided to put aside the issue of setting up an appeal committee for each election in each state because in our guidelines and timetable, each election is supposed to have an appeals committee. But because of the limited time we have, he decided that one committee should handle the issues nationwide. I understand that he has constituted the committee and the committee has started working. As members of the National Working Committee, we are not supposed to comment on any petition or disagreement. In fact, we are not even supposed to order for the cancellation of any election except the appeals committee reports to the NWC, which is the final appellant body.

There was confusion over the mode of primaries. What was agreed at the last meeting of the National Executive Committee of the party before the primaries were held?

The National Executive Committee of the party is the second highest decision making body of the party. Whatever decision the NEC takes is second only to the national convention.  The NEC also acts on behalf of the national convention. Whatever decision is taken by NEC, no other organ of the party can change it. Now, on the issue of direct and indirect primary, NEC had taken a decision that state executive committees should return home, meet with all stakeholders and agree on what mode of primary they prefer and put it in writing to the National Working Committee. And that should form the basis for the mode of primary to be done in each state. That explains the disparities in the modes used per state. Some used direct primaries, while others opted for indirect primaries.

There was a similar state of confusion in Lagos State. First, the panel said there was no primary, and then after some hours, it upheld the outcome of the primary. What happened in between the contrary decisions?   

I really don’t know. This is because the committee was supposed to report back to the NWC and I can’t recall any meeting of the NWC discussing the situation in Lagos during the governorship primaries. So, I don’t know who gave the order and I don’t know who countered the order, I really don’t know and can’t say.

Among other promises, the APC in 2015 made a number of promises including restructuring the country. What happened to the Nasir el-Rufai-led panel report on this issue?

Look at our manifesto; we never said we were going to restructure this country. There was nothing like that, all we did was to set up a committee to look at our 2015 campaign manifesto, pick out those promises we made, make recommendations and submit them. That committee was set up; it was headed by the Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir el-Rufai. They submitted their report, but you see, it was in the process of receiving memoranda during the zonal visitations of the committee that people kept bringing up the issue of restructuring. You don’t stop them; you can’t tell them not to say it but the purpose for setting up that committee was not to restructure this country and in the report, that committee did not include this in their recommendations. But we leave the opposition to continue to talk. What we promised, for which we set up that committee, was to give this nation ‘true federalism’. We refused to use the word restructure, how do you restructure? I am not too sure we can change the structure of Nigeria as it is. Doing so will be a herculean task. Like I said earlier, this administration is a responsive one and we will continue to do only the things that promote national unity and cohesion.  We are on the right track; President Muhammadu Buhari is laying the needed foundation to take Nigeria to the place it ought to be. A second term for Mr. President will give him the deserved opportunity to consolidate on the monumental achievements so far recorded.

Some of your party members have said that the emergence of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar as candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party has lessened the burden of your party in its quest to retain power come 2019. Do you honestly believe that?

I don’t want us to relax and take things for granted. The emergence of the PDP candidate is another way for us to equally strategise. We equally have to re-strategise in order to defeat the PDP. I don’t want to say, let’s go to sleep because, take it or leave it, the PDP is the second strongest party in this country today. They were in power for close to 16 years and they understand the game of politics; they understand the power game as well and they are more experienced. I don’t think we should see it as lessening our burden, I think we should see it as a challenge which will require us to stand up and to be on our toes to mobilise our supporters and the rest of Nigerians in order to defeat the PDP a second time.

https://punchng.com/apc-cant-claim-to-have-the-goodwill-it-had-in-2015/
Re: We Never Promised Restructuring In 2015-APC Dep. National Chairman by nnachukz(m): 2:21pm On Oct 13, 2018
Tell us what is in that manifesto that your administration has kept. Is it the banning of political office holders from going for medical treatment abroad? If that has been implemented, Buhari would have been behind bar by now.
Is it the fight against corruption? If this one is carried out fairly, Oshiomole should be inside EFCC cell answering some corruption charge questions. But here just like others in APC, EFCC just looked the other side even with a court order for his arrest and prosecution.
The only thing your party has successfully done is denying all your campaign promises.
Re: We Never Promised Restructuring In 2015-APC Dep. National Chairman by Racoon(m): 2:23pm On Oct 13, 2018

Re: We Never Promised Restructuring In 2015-APC Dep. National Chairman by mushystuff: 2:25pm On Oct 13, 2018
Really? They never promised restructuring? Is this some kinda confusion or is God gradually exposing their obvious lies? So they were just paying lip service to restructuring and the committee is a mere sham?!

Okay o!
Re: We Never Promised Restructuring In 2015-APC Dep. National Chairman by ATEAMS: 2:32pm On Oct 13, 2018
probably too late to cry the victim
Re: We Never Promised Restructuring In 2015-APC Dep. National Chairman by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 13, 2018
Even the ones una promise una never fulfil am.

Instead you give us; poor power supply,
Massive loss of jobs, crumbled economy, high dollar rate, fulanization, propaganda, disobedience to civil courts, uncredible elections.

SHAME on APC
Re: We Never Promised Restructuring In 2015-APC Dep. National Chairman by SarcasticGenius(m): 2:51pm On Oct 13, 2018
Re: We Never Promised Restructuring In 2015-APC Dep. National Chairman by nototribalist: 2:52pm On Oct 13, 2018
You didn't promise restructuring,

You didn't promise Jobs

You didn't promise N1 = $1

You didn't promise N45 per litre

You didnt promise infrastructure.

APC what exactly did you promise??

(1) (Reply)

Revealed!!! Real Reason Why Atiku Picked Peter Obi As His Running Mate / Atiku Launches #buharichallenge, Dares Buhari To Answer 14 Questions / Atiku 2019: Your Antics Will Be Counterproductive S/east Group Tells Peter Obi's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.