Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,257 members, 7,826,010 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu (1498 Views)

See Atiku's Response To Ben Bruce Outburst To Umahi's Reaction On Obi's Choice / Atiku: 180 Former Lawmakers Take Position On Peter Obi’s Choice As Running Mate / Southwest On Standby As Igbo Leaders Protest Obi’s Choice As Atiku Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 9:11pm On Oct 13, 2018
By Dennis Agbo ENUGU – LEDERS of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the South East have raised objection on the method their party’s presidential running mate, Mr. Peter Obi was chosen and announced without their consultation. The leaders who meet in Enugu, Saturday, said they only heard about Obi’s choice in the social media and felt slitted by the PDP presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar. Peter Gregory Obi The Chairman of the South East Governor Forum and governor of Ebonyi State, Chief David Umahi, who addressed newsmen after the meeting however said that Abubakar will meet with South East leaders over the choice of his running mate. Umahi revealed that Abubakar sent in message during their emergency meeting informing them that he was out of the country on a short period and pleaded with them to remain calm that he will be coming down to the zone to dialogue with leaders. “We saw news flying up and down saying that our presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar has picked a running mate from the zone. We were shocked because we were not consulted. While we were meeting, Atiku sent message that he travelled out of the country for a short period. He promised to come down and meet with South East leaders” The meeting was attended by Governors Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, Okezie Ikpeazu and Deputy Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, Senators Sam Egwu, Theodore Orji and other members of the National Assembly from the zone and other major stakeholders. National Vice Chairman of the PDP for South East, Deacon Austin Umahi, who also dressed party members at the zonal party office said “We addressed many issues on how to ensure that PDP progresses and do better than it did in past elections in south east. We congratulate our presidential candidate Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and we are conveniced that 2019 will be actualizes. “A burning issue came up, the issue of Vice President slot to South East and our leaders in the south east, the governors, the national Assembly members came together to appreciate the Party for the recognition of South East and keeping to their promise to give the vice Presidential slot to South East. “However, South East leaders met and said they are not yet aware that something like that happened. But one good thing is our discussion with our Presidential candidate. He will be travelling tonight and he has promised when he comes back he is going to discuss with the leadership of the south east, that we are waiting, that we hope is going to be very fruitful. But one thing is very very certain, PDP is assured that 2019 is our year. “Peter Obi is our son and he is from the south east. we are not rejecting anybody but we are saying we are not aware but as leaders of south east said you cannot shave a Man in his absence. The people of the south east need to know, that is our stand. There is no rejection, he is our son. However, Peter Obi’s Man and former Secretary of Anambra state, Mr. Oseloka Obaze while reacting to the decision of the meeting said “The decision has left some people here a little bit disenchanted because they believe there was no transperency. “We must understand that never in the history of this country, NPN, PDP, had a candidate ever consulted on a zonal basis. they chose their candidate and they announce it. I do not understand why our case has to be different, apparently some people want to play games.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/10/s-east-pdp-leaders-kick-against-obis-choice-as-running-mate/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by RockHard: 9:15pm On Oct 13, 2018
These Southeast PDP leaders are not playing o. Wetin Peter Obi do to offend them?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 9:16pm On Oct 13, 2018
cc lalasticlala mynd44

even obaze(peter obi candidate for Anambra guber) is not happy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 9:16pm On Oct 13, 2018
RockHard:
These Southeast PDP leaders are not playing o. Wetin Peter Obi do to offend them? globemoney, food is ready.
no consultation i think
Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by RockHard: 9:19pm On Oct 13, 2018
Enugupikin:
cc lalasticlala mynd44

It seems maybe these leaders don't trust Peter Obi with power. He should meet with them and maybe talk to them so they would feel less threatened and more receptive to his candidacy. Atiku too should have consulted them. These people don't want to rendered politically useless in case Atiku/Obi wins. Their fears should be allayed.
Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 9:24pm On Oct 13, 2018
onuebonyi you may like to read this...no one is Against Anambra person...Anambra people can be seen as well there and they are not happy

1 Like

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by onuebonyi: 9:32pm On Oct 13, 2018
Show me one Anambra person that is not happy or has kicked against the choice of Obi except some people that thought they stood a chance but were disappointed.

Enugupikin:
onuebonyi you may like to read this...no one is Against Anambra person...Anambra people can be seen as well there and they are not happy

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 9:41pm On Oct 13, 2018
onuebonyi:
Show me one Anambra person that is not happy or has kicked against the choice of Obi except some people that thought they stood a chance but were disappointed.

i believed you read this inlcuding what obaze had to say

1 Like

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by rusher14: 9:42pm On Oct 13, 2018
Obi's selection put a damper on Atiku's electoral chances.

Since his selection, even on Nairaland, we've began to see less likes and shares.

Not to talk of when his poster is used in Guzau.
grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by gdonj1(m): 9:46pm On Oct 13, 2018
Show me a country that is tribalistically ruled and I will show you a failed state.. You can not build a nation if it's not united. pmb failed woefully by his lopsided administration, lopsided so-called fight against corruption and favoritsm.. I will say my mind and nobody can beat me. We voted Buhari into power to stop incessant killings and graft issues in the then administration, but pmb deviated from those visions. He started by bringing divisions in an already divided country instead of uniting the people. He has spent the whole 4 years fighting his political opponents instead of improving the lives of the masses that wanted him to take over. Investing on security and protecting lives would have fetched him a dire needed second term. pmb claims to recover looted money yet the country's debt has hit record high. my question is where are those trillions of dollars said to have been recovered since the country's debt is as high as the heaven? . And the worst is buhari surrounded himself with people he's better than who lack the modern ideas to run government offices.
Atiku will get nigeria united .. this is the first step towards building a nation. He will make things start running . He will bring balance in the government through an evenhanded appointments.
Inshallah Atiku will bring nigeria together. For this country to be anything good, WE MUST BE UNITED. I have said my view, if you are offended come and beat me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by emeijeh(m): 9:48pm On Oct 13, 2018
Our eastern brothers are never at peace with each other.

They are always at each other's throat.

Just flashback to when they were given senate presidency slot.

I shake my head for the igbo tribe.
When will they learn?!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by rusher14: 9:51pm On Oct 13, 2018
gdonj1:
Show me a country that is tribalistically ruled and I will show you a failed state.. You can not build a nation if it's not united. pmb failed woefully by his lopsided administration, lopsided so-called fight against corruption and favoritsm.. I will say my mind and nobody can beat me. We voted Buhari into power to stop incessant killings and graft issues in the then administration, but pmb deviated from those visions. He started by bringing divisions in an already divided country instead of uniting the people. He has spent the whole 4 years fighting his political opponents instead of improving the lives of the masses that wanted him to take over. Investing on security and protecting lives would have fetched him a dire needed second term. pmb claims to recover looted money yet the country's debt has hit record high. my question is where are those trillions of dollars said to have been recovered since the country's debt is as high as the heaven? . And the worst is buhari surrounded himself with people he's better than who lack the modern ideas to run government offices.
Atiku will get nigeria united .. this is the first step towards building a nation. He will make things start running . He will bring balance in the government through an evenhanded appointments.
Inshallah Atiku will bring nigeria together. For this country to be anything good, WE MUST BE UNITED. I have said my view, if you are offended come and beat me

Gerrout.

You've been a supporter of PDP all along so stop acting as if you ever supported Buhari.

As usual, you would vote a known criminal against one who you cannot even prove as anything to do with any crime.

Hypocrite.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by BeautifulMind2: 9:52pm On Oct 13, 2018
Enugupikin:
cc lalasticlala mynd44

Obaze wasn't against peter, he was trying to caution them

Read his full speech

Remarks By Mr Oseloka H. Obaze, PDP Candidate in the 2017 Anambra State Gubernatorial Elections

At the Emergency Meeting of PDP South-East Zone, held at 3p.m. On 13/10/18,

At the Enugu Zonal Office, 16 Iyienu Street, Independence Layout, Enugu.

Mr. Vice-Chairman, we have been summoned here to deliberate on a very important issue. Although, my understanding is that we are gathered to articulate the way forward for Ndiigbo, I suspect that as always, they are some of us here, who will display their skills of pulling their relatives and friends down. What I’m about to say comes from the heart and from my personal experience. In 2017, I ran and lost a governorship election, not because I was a bad or unqualified PDP candidate, but because some within my PDP family in Anambra and beyond worked against me. Today, our state and our party are paying the price, even as I have forgiven those who worked against my candidacy.

On today’s agenda, I will resort to a historical narrative. On 6th October 2014, a PDP delegation led by the Deputy Senate President, Sen. Ike Ekwerumadu and Chief Olisa Metuh, the then Publicity Secretary, who represented the National Chairman of the PDP, Mr. Adamu Muazu visited Peter Obi at his residence at 22 Niger Drive, Onitsha to ask him to join our great party, PDP.

In the words of Chief Metuh, the visit was as a “result of the resolution by the entire South-East to pay him a visit and persuade him to join the PDP for more meaningful contribution to national affairs.” In his response, Mr Peter Obi, told the PDP party bigwigs that, “I am humbled by the visit.” Furthermore, he said, “I thank you for your continued belief and commitment to the welfare of our people and the progress of our country. I have in the past worked closely with all of you and you know my belief about our zone working together. I assure you that we will continue to work even closer as a team in the interest of our people. Regarding your visit of today let me assure you that I heard your kind and passionate requests and that your journey would not be in vain but in the best interest of our people. ”Thereafter Peter Obi joined PDP.
What Changed? Is Peter Obi not one of us? In our language, “even a mad man has relatives”; whom you may only identify when the mad man is being beaten in public and they come to his defense. Similarly, in American politics, there is an instructive saying; “he is a son-of-a-gun, but he is our own son-of-a-gun.” I have not been in partisan politics long, but I am a political scientist by training. And I do research and write, so let me share with you some basic historical realities. We are talking of Zonal consultation on the vice presidential ticket. When did it start? Or is this meant to be a first?
In 1979, Shehu Shagari did not consult south-east NPN before choosing Alex Ekwueme as his running mate. Indeed, Ekwueme who was then resident in London had been introduced to Shehu Shagari by the late Sir Joe Nwankwu. In 1999, Olusegun Obasanjo did not consult the Northeast PDP leaders before he selected Atiku Abubakar. Indeed, Atiku having won the gubernatorial election in his state was driving to Adamawa on the fateful day when he got a call to return to Abuja to meet Obasanjo and become his running mate. In 2007, Umaru YarAdua did not consult the south-south PDP leadership before picking Goodluck Jonathan. Rather,after Peter Odili was blocked as presidential candidate, it was James Ibori that YarAdua wanted as his running mate. It was the trio of Ahmadu Ali, Olusegun Obasanjo and Tony Anenih who decided, without any consultations with the region on Jonathan in order to block some PDP governors who were scheming to nominate another person after the rejection of Peter Odili as presidential candidate.

In these three instances, I mentioned, the respective regionsembraced rather than repudiate or reject their sons. Will the turn of southeast be different? Quo Vadis Ndiigbo? Are we to understand that after we have waited for thirty-five years to get a VP slot on a PDP ticket that is a winning combination, we are about to waste it on account of our not being consultedzonally? Would we rather the VP slot go elsewhere and wait another 35 years? How do we explain our malign attitude and that outsiders have accepted one of our sons, but we are the ones that seek to tag him “an outcast” and therefore unacceptable to the nation? What is it we seek at the bottom of the pot but fish?

R*(24

Mr. Vice-Chairman, the Biafran war ended 48 years ago and the Igbo nation is yet to recover fully. Now a historical opportunity beckons; an opportunity to actualize the mainstreaming of the Igbo Nation, and we are bickering as to which of our sons will lead the charge. Our disposition, I dare say is myopic and defeatist.

I have heard corridor talks about passing a resolution to repudiate the selection of Peter Obi as Atiku’s running mate. I hope that those who champion such causes will also have the courage to sign their name to the resolution, so that in the fullness of time our posterity will appreciate our folly. Mr. Vice-Chairman, the two distinct vagaries of history is that “only victors write history” and that “historians claim to be able to recover the past.” So let me end on a historical note. If we lose the present opportunity to produce the VP due to the whims of a few among us, Ndiigbo will never recover the past. And history will be unkind to us all, myself included. Discretion and circumspection is the word! Let those who have tongues count their teeth correctly. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by onuebonyi: 9:53pm On Oct 13, 2018
Enugupikin:

i believed you read this inlcuding what obaze had to say

Read what Obaze said. What do make out of it? Do you need an explanation of what he said?

. “We must understand that never in the history of this country, NPN, PDP, had a candidate ever consulted on a zonal basis. they chose their candidate and they announce it. I do not understand why our case has to be different, apparently some people want to play games.”

1 Like

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Nobody: 9:55pm On Oct 13, 2018
Chaiil umahi on a failed mission

Greedy man.

1 Like

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 10:00pm On Oct 13, 2018
[quote author=onuebonyi post=72062796]

U

1 Like

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 10:01pm On Oct 13, 2018
Osagyefo98:
Chaiil umahi on a failed mission

Greedy man.
i believe u also saw chidoka, ekweremadu and other governors there
Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Nobody: 10:03pm On Oct 13, 2018
Enugupikin:

i believe u also saw chidoka, ekweremadu and other governors there

Umahi has been known for conveying meeting for selfish interest

He started with ipob proscription and succeeded

But with Peter obi issue Umahi ambition is a dead case...he has failed I mean failed.

Ebonyi state of just below 400k voting strength polling strength

Foolish abakiliki ass licker.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by onuebonyi: 10:04pm On Oct 13, 2018
[s]
Enugupikin:

the complete statement is written below

However, Peter Obi’s Man and former Secretary of Anambra state, Mr. Oseloka Obaze while reacting to the decision of the meeting said “The decision has left some people here a little bit disenchanted because they believe there was no transperency. “We must understand that never in the history of this country, NPN, PDP, had a candidate ever consulted on a zonal basis. they chose their candidate and they announce it. I do not understand why our case has to be different, apparently some people want to play games.”

he is empathic to the governors...everyone there is empathic to the governors including chidoka behind umahi in the picture

[/s]

Please explain this comment from Obaze. What does the below comment mean to you Paul?

“We must understand that never in the history of this country, NPN, PDP, had a candidate ever consulted on a zonal basis. they chose their candidate and they announce it. I do not understand why our case has to be different, apparently some people want to play games.”

2 Likes

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 10:05pm On Oct 13, 2018
Osagyefo98:

Umahi has been known for.
i am out ...the talk is entering abuse....
Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 13, 2018
Enugupikin:

i am out ...the talk is entering abuse....

I care about abakiliki beggars

Who they epp.

1 Like

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by EternalTruths: 10:09pm On Oct 13, 2018
It is too late.
Atiku made this choice since last year.
Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by EternalTruths: 10:12pm On Oct 13, 2018
Enugupikin:
no consultation i think
Atiku do not need to consult them.
Our votes will tell Atiku if we accept his choice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 10:15pm On Oct 13, 2018
EternalTruths:

Atiku do not need to consult them.

Our votes will tell Atiku if we accept his choice.
it is only a foool that does not know that the elites control votes and not the masses

3 Likes

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by EternalTruths: 10:16pm On Oct 13, 2018
Osagyefo98:

Umahi has been known for conveying meeting for selfish interest

He started with ipob proscription and succeeded

But with Peter obi issue Umahi ambition is a dead case...he has failed I mean failed.

Ebonyi state of just below 400k voting strength polling strength

Foolish abakiliki ass licker.

Who is this one trying to stoke division amongst the Igbos.?
Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by EternalTruths: 10:17pm On Oct 13, 2018
Enugupikin:

it is only a foool that does not know that the elites control votes and not the masses

Not so in Igbo land.

Igbos are republican and therefore, elites don't decide our fate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 10:18pm On Oct 13, 2018
EternalTruths:

Who is this one trying to stoke division amongst the Igbos.?
U

1 Like

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 10:19pm On Oct 13, 2018
EternalTruths:

Not so in Igbo land.

Igbos are republican and therefore, elites don't decide our fate.
stop deceiving yourself..elections have always been rigged in SE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by EternalTruths: 10:19pm On Oct 13, 2018
Enugupikin:
he says Ebonyi vote is 400k same way Anambra votes are 300k and kano has 5million votes cheesy cheesy

He is not an Igbo.

I know him very well.
Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by EternalTruths: 10:20pm On Oct 13, 2018
Enugupikin:
stop deceiving yourself..elections have always been rigged in SE

Rochas would have lost in 2011 to Ohakim if election rigging always work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: S-east PDP Leaders Kick Against Obi’s Choice As Running Mate meet in Enugu by Enugupikin: 10:20pm On Oct 13, 2018
EternalTruths:

He is not an Igbo.

I know him very well.
good...no wonder...

i just remembered the guy..one juliusmalema from Edo state.,.his first handle was banned..and he opened new one

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Escapes Assassination, Describes Election Shift As PDP Delay Victory / Trending On Twitter: "Ha! (coughed), Run O!" Fela Kuti Advised A Man In A Video / Alleged Robbery In Dubai By Nigerians, Condemnable – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.