Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists (3954 Views)

Inspector General Of Police, Chief Of Defense Staff With Service Chiefs / Nigerian Journalists Struggle For Fried Chicken At Inec Office (Photo) / Dimeji Bankole Kicked Out Of Ogun Governorship Race 24hrs To Primary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by dolu2007(m): 8:08am On Jul 14, 2010
POLICE chief Ogbonna Onovo yesterday set a deadline for the release of the four journalists and their driver, who were kidnapped last Sunday at Ukpakiri, near Aba, Abia State.

They must be released within the next 24 hours, the Inspector-General said.

Onovo was speaking in Umuahia when he visited Abia State Governor Theodore Orji. He said the kidnappers had gone a step too far by abducting journalists, who were doing their legitimate duty. Besides, he accused his men of complicity in the kidnapping menace that has affected the South-East states economically and socially.

The kidnapped journalists are the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ), Lagos Council chairman, Wahab Oba, NUJ Zone G Secretary Adolphus Okonkwo, Assistant Secretary Sylva Okereke, Shola Oyeyipo and their driver, Azeez Abdulrauf. They were on their way from a National Executive Council meeting in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.

Onovo warned that kidnappers should not see the police as weak because they are operating under a democratic dispensation, adding that such approach will soon change to a drastic method.

He said: "For daring the police and the Federal Government, the police will now face the kidnappers squarely as our new method will be too bad for them. It will affect innocent citizens, but we must do it to achieve results."

Onovo said the operation would affect others, "as you can not have an omelet without breaking an egg to have it done for one to eat it".

He said he was in the state to personally ensure the success of the operation for the release of the journalists, adding that he had earlier sent 10,000 policemen under operation Ihe (Light).

The IGP said that the visit will also enable him assess the operation, including kidnappings in Abia State, Nnewi and Awka in Anambra State and other parts of the South-East.

In his view, the operation has led to a reduction in kidnappings.

He regretted that despite the operation, there are pockets of kidnapping, adding that his visit will help to plug the loopholes.

Onovo said kidnapping has affected the state’s economy and urged the kidnappers to release all their victims and surrender themselves.

He warned that the police would spare nothing to see that the journalists are released, "and if they are not released, the police will move to the next level which will not be fair to all around the Obingwa Local Government Area of the state".

The police boss, who was accompanied by AIG Zone 9, police commissioners of Abia, Anambra, Enugu and lmo states, thanked the governor for helping the police and warned the Ngwa people to fish out the kidnappers or face the wrath of the police.

Orji regretted that kidnapping has become common, adding that everybody is not happy about the ugly incidents.

The governor described kidnapping as a high technology crime, which involves GSM, stressing that it will require such technology to fight the crime.

He said: "Abia people, the families of those kidnapped and the entire nation are worried over the development. I’m appealing to the kidnappers to release the journalists without hurting them."

The governor warned that if the kidnappers fail to surrender themselves and release their victims, "the state government and the police will spare nothing to ensure that they are apprehended in the shortest period".

Orji wondered why several kidnapping cases are happening around Obingwa Local Government Area, which is being used to hide victims after kidnapping them.

He called on all Ngwa people, especially those from Obingwa, to expose those behind the kidnappings or face the consequences when the police start their operations.

The governor noted that Operation lhe has achieved 80% success, except for the kidnapping of the Lagos-based journalists.

Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by Woke4all(m): 10:48am On Jul 14, 2010
Dem dey voke! Two things are involve either they pay the ransome in cash or with the journalists lives.
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by RICHIEBOI1(m): 10:55am On Jul 14, 2010
Mr onovo talk is cheap! we need you to match your words with action. make them no go for back go pay the ransom. grin
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by Okijajuju1(m): 10:59am On Jul 14, 2010
Wait till he starts counting to 3.

Release the journalists: 1

Heh!! I'm warning you o!!

Release the Journalists: 2!!

Shey you think I'm playing!!
This is you last chance o!! Other wise!!

Release the journalists 2 & 1/2!!

Shet you want to try me!!? Shey you are looking for my trouble?!!

How pathetic!! Jonathan should ban the police for two years jor!!
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by Woke4all(m): 11:05am On Jul 14, 2010
Okija_juju:

Wait till he starts counting to 3.

Release the journalists: 1

Heh!! I'm warning you o!!

Release the Journalists: 2!!

Shey you think I'm playing!!
This is you last chance o!! Other wise!!

Release the journalists 2 & 1/2!!

Shet you want to try me!!? Shey you are looking for my trouble?!!

How pathetic!! Jonathan should ban the police for two years jor!!
Otherwise we pay you.   LWKM
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by Nobody: 11:07am On Jul 14, 2010
Or else what ?
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by Woke4all(m): 11:41am On Jul 14, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Or else what ?
or else we pay the ransom
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by Kx: 11:48am On Jul 14, 2010
Woke4all:

or else we pay the ransom
they always pay
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by Nobody: 11:55am On Jul 14, 2010
hehehehehhehehehe, let him shout all he wants. It takes a lot for me to say this but its the truth, Nigeria is failing, we need to get our acts together ad stop beating around the bush. 14 million People are unemployed, what the militants showed them na small, because kidnappig is not going away, no industries, no light to run a business people don tire
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by dobodobo(m): 12:23pm On Jul 14, 2010
I am waiting and watching, I will go and shayo so I can sleep and wake up after 14 hours because 10 hours as already passed, release or no release, we will know the news tomorrow morning
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by kobikwelu(m): 12:27pm On Jul 14, 2010
na today, embarassed embarassed embarassed

abegiiiii

******sitting on couch with guguru and zobo********
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by laqui: 12:28pm On Jul 14, 2010
they always pay

u mean to pay them?
y dont use our manpower?
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by matiltomd(f): 12:53pm On Jul 14, 2010
After 24hrs,Ogbona;what will you do?? I hiss in Greek!
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by ricky01: 1:34pm On Jul 14, 2010
the family`s of the kidnaps journalist should better go and pay b4 its too late, npf cannot be rely on,
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by babaowo: 1:35pm On Jul 14, 2010
kidnappers i beg come help kidnap my goatssssssssssss
even me sef smiley
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by sirp2007: 2:06pm On Jul 14, 2010
onovo wan u laff kill me grin grin grin
my fear na make dem nu go kidnap ONOVO.
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by Parnassuss(m): 2:13pm On Jul 14, 2010
Well, i no talk sha, but maybe things will be different this time around. We must consider say this kidnapp shite is gone awry, people are now dying (directly or inadvertly) from the 'industry'. Not only people who parttake in the acts proper, but innocent non-participants who are put in the broad and all embracing umbrella of 'kidnappers' after being murdered by the police. If we encourage these acts even in jest we give these 'no-lifes' power.
Also, for every criminals paid, there are three 'watchers' who metamorph to 'doers'. For our safety we should try get them (kidnappers) run down.
If they catch these blood suckers, i humbly submit mself to pull the trigger that will send them safely to the afterlife, they deserve no mercy.
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by frankcj(m): 2:28pm On Jul 14, 2010
sun paper quoted onov the inspector general of police warning kidnappers release the jurnalist within 24hrs or he will hire israel expact, ha ha ha this real laughing mather,guess they may kidnapp the israel oyibo join them.
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by emeritus05: 2:34pm On Jul 14, 2010
shio! abi make dem kidnapp u sef join mumu I.G!
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by bigblxd(m): 2:48pm On Jul 14, 2010
I beg NUJ and the families of the kidnapped to arrange cash go bail dem own b4 its too late.
Afterall, one of dem worth more than a Billion. Wisdom is the principal thing!
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by hbabe(f): 2:58pm On Jul 14, 2010
I wonder what the IG of police will do if the kidnappers refuse to release the journalists. Should we expect war? grin
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by gReenmAn(m): 3:07pm On Jul 14, 2010
Sorry state of the east.

The degeneration of security in the East and South South has become quite alarming. Thanks to the so called Niger Delta militants who introduced this 'strange' form of criminal pastime to the country. They, and the complacent general populace who joked about the kidnap of foreigners in the early days of kidnapping share the blame. Now that our aged parents, brothers & sisters have become prime targets- the joke is now on us.

The IG must realise these guys are impervious to empty threats, he must match his words with action if he ever hopes to curb this malaise.
This thing is no longer a joke.
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by bigblxd(m): 3:44pm On Jul 14, 2010
or wetin im go do? his rather goin to ginger does guys.we want to see action, no be only talk.
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by isimili: 5:31pm On Jul 14, 2010
The truth and the absolute truth is that the Police and our Politicians lack the will to do anything about the menace of kidnapping. The police know all the kidnappers and their sponsors. they share the booty and would not dare take any decisive action against them. Again if they dare, they will tell all. therefore unless Onovo is willing to call a spade a spade and sack everyone involved in the operation stop kidnappers and find the journalists and bear the consequences then he might as well forget the whole madness and let them rule the streets of Nigeria.

That said we all need to ask ourselves why these boys are kidnapping people and not afraid of anything? Over to our politicians. i do not and will never justify such an appalling traumatic acts of wickedness of man against another innocent man but for Christ's sake what other alternatives have our politicians provided these boys? They have reluctantly granted Niger delta unemployed youths amnesty and paying them money to calm them down but what are they doing for the rest of the unemployed youths. Our govt must get alive.
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by dayolove: 5:45pm On Jul 14, 2010
Lets not 4get that the whole idea of kidnapping started from the militants of the Niger Delta states paid and promoted by the Governors of the Niger Delta states to enable them win elections. Odili, Lucky Igbinedion and Ibori were instrumental to this. see them walking free except ibori for now and the problem they created is starring us directly in the face.

the PPMC petroleum depot in Osisioma Ngwa has not been functioning where some of these youths who took to crime fed from by engaging in menial jobs and sometime bunkering hence they are idle and available for any criminally minded user.

kidnapping as it were is not limited to aba or ngwa land as a kano based businessman was kidnapped in kano on sunday while the kidnappers are asking for ransom in hard currency.

it is becoming a national disgrace and i bet nairalanders that this trend will continue if lip service is paid by our security outfits, especially the police who only mount roadblocks in the entire southeast to collect N50 and N100 every 1/2 kilometer distance.

by telling the whole world  your strategies towards arresting the kidnappers like bringing in isrealis etc is an admission that we cant police ourselves. the ultimatum too wasnt necessary as you do your intelligence work without noise and celebrate success with noise later.

i only pity the families of the journalist. it has come to fore now because they are mostly non-eastheners that were kidnapped. day in day out people are being kidnapped in the villages under the watchful eyes of the police and other security agencies sent to curb the dastardly act. something is definitely wrong somewhere.

may God help us in this country. let the kidnapping get to the house of reps, senate, governors and politicians just like they have started with rogues like sani lulu. it is only then, something serious will be done about this.
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by tellwisdom: 5:46pm On Jul 14, 2010
if only he wan dey renew him 24hrs, idiot He tink sey na him children he dey talk to grin grin
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by tellwisdom: 5:49pm On Jul 14, 2010
dayolove
c story and english!! Omo get busy abeg
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by GOZILLA(m): 5:50pm On Jul 14, 2010
Dumb order.If they are not released what will  he do?
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by ReachRich(m): 5:53pm On Jul 14, 2010
Cant d police raid all d Ngwa villages esp Aballa,a town known 4 producing locally made guns?
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by Fhemmmy: 5:58pm On Jul 14, 2010
when will the 24 hours elapse?
Wanna know if we now have Rambo as Police Chief.
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by Aderupoko2: 7:05pm On Jul 14, 2010
If 1000yrs=1day,then 24hrs=1000yrs.
What Onovo means is that 24hrs is forever
Re: Police Chief Gives Kidnappers 24hrs To Free Journalists by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 14, 2010
Onovo is sick and incompetent if he thinks issuing threats would change the status quo.he is just an attention seeking old man

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Nurses Go On Strike, Public Health System Paralysed / Civil Society March In Memory Of Fuel Protest Martyrs In Lagos / Nigeria Tops African Countries With Students In US Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.