Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,287 members, 7,829,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine (2064 Views)

Passenger Arrested With N71m At Lagos Airport. / Two Arrested With N1M At Ondo Polling Booth / Boko Haram's `Accountant’ Arrested With N4.5m Cash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by r231(m): 9:22am On Jul 14, 2010
These people will never stop

Officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) have arrested a Lagos-based telecommunications manager with 70 wraps of cocaine concealed in her stomach.

•Igbokwe Ifunanya, a telecoms company manager arrested with cocaine yesterday at MMA, Ikeja, Lagos as she was about to board a British Airways flight to London.

The suspect, Ms. Igbokwe Ifunanya, was apprehended yesterday at the Murtala Muhammed Interanational Airport (MMIA), Lagos State, Southwest Nigeria, as she was about boarding a British Airways flight to London, United Kingdom.

The 29-year old computer engineering graduate from Enugu State University of Science and Technology is a manager of a telecommunications company (name withheld) with headquarters in Lagos Island.

NDLEA Chairman, Ahmadu Giade, after learning of Ifunanya’s arrest, warned that if the telecom firm is found culpable, it will be severely sanctioned in accordance with the law.

“Nobody or organisation is above the law. If investigation indicts anyone or group of persons, or even a company, the law will take its course,” Giade said.

NDLEA in a statement this morning by its Head of Public Affairs, Mr. Mitchell Ofoyeju, said that Ifunanya confessed to have swallowed cocaine in a desperate bid to save her sick mother from death. Findings by the NDLEA revealed that the suspect travelled to London on vacation in March 2010. The agency said that Ifunanya is believed to be working for a drug syndicate and using her job as a cover. She was also given 2,000 pounds with a promise of additional money upon successful delivery of the drug.

“My mother is sick and in critical condition. Her sight is failing and has been diagnosed with partial stroke. I have been solely responsible for her medical bills. When I could no longer settle the bills and the condition is getting worse, I began running around for help when I came across the people that introduced me into drugs. This is my first time. If only I knew, I would have discussed with my best friend but I was warned not to tell anyone,” Ifunanya, who hails from Enugu State stated in tears.

Meanwhile, NDLEA has arrested four other suspects with various quantities of drugs. NDLEA Airport Commander, Alhaji Hamza Umar, gave the names of other drug suspects arrested as Okolli Anthony, 45, Edehen Efosa, 32, Olebunne Ndubisi, 35 and Ndubisi Tochukwu, 30.

Hamza said apart from Ndubisi Tochukwu who wanted to export 1.500kg of cannabis to China, others ingested various quantities of substances suspected to be cocaine. Hamza warned that those caught shall be made to face the wrath of the law. He also dismissed Ifunanya’s claims as one of the numerous reasons drug suspects give for engaging in the nefarious act.

“We are investigating the case because we are interested in other members of the syndicate,” Hamza stated.

“It is wrong to commit crime notwithstanding the circumstance. Drug trafficking is criminal and unacceptable. It is sad that even those that are gainfully employed are still involved in drug trafficking,” Chairman/Chief Executive of NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade said. Okolli Anthony, 45, who works in Vienna, said that he ingested 91 wraps of cocaine in his home town Agbor in Delta State. He would have been paid 4,000 Euros. Edehen Efosa from Edo State who works in Madrid ingested 99 wraps of narcotics for 5,000 Euros. Olebunne Ndubisi Ezekiel from Imo State also swallowed 54 wraps of drugs to earn 4,000 Euros.

All suspects are still excreting the drugs and will soon be arraigned in court, Ofoyeju said.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by na2day(m): 9:31am On Jul 14, 2010
chai!
this is unbelievable!
what greed can!
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 14, 2010
na2day!:

chai!
this is unbelievable!
what greed can!
i'm not surprised,we know where she and the others hail from.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Tokotaya: 9:53am On Jul 14, 2010
Na wah o. Nothing wey greed no fit do o. Many people dey die to enter telecom make them for dey enjoy, and this one dey there dey carry drugs. O ga o.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Pennywise(m): 10:03am On Jul 14, 2010
Drug trafficking in Nigeria has entered open season/ free for all. The sentences they get when they are found guilty these days (which is rare) is even a source of motivation.

Well done boys. And girls who care to join. But stay away from Indonesia and Singapore where ur arse is officially toast
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by bkbabe90(m): 11:44am On Jul 14, 2010
Wow!!! Well, if there aint no demand, there aint no supply. Hey, do ur thing Nigerian Sandra Beltran!
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by magana(m): 12:44pm On Jul 14, 2010
This is not about where she hails from is Dimeji Bankole Igbo? does he traffic drugs? but I assure you if you put him in the same condition with Ifunnaya he will do worse things.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by mylove4him(f): 1:07pm On Jul 14, 2010
A telecoms manager oh my God this girl must be greedy. What else does a 29 year girl wants if she has a good job all the same an average I, girl is greedy and always wants to get rich and marry rich husband. Tufiakwa I don't envy her.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by magana(m): 1:16pm On Jul 14, 2010
A telecoms manager oh my God this girl must be greedy. What else does a 29 year girl wants if she has a good job all the same an average I, girl is greedy and always wants to get rich and marry rich husband. Tufiakwa I don't envy her.[color=#000099][/color]
wetin we expect from a company wey no fit pay their staff since April? though no good excuse to  move drugs.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by mylove4him(f): 6:47pm On Jul 14, 2010
@magana that is why one needs to save for the rainy day.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by tkb417(m): 7:01pm On Jul 14, 2010
tot the monetary reward is like 100million or 50milla at least

how much is 5000 GBP?

its not even enuff to buy shayo in a 2 months

is that why ill now go to jail

madness

if they wanna pay me 2million GBP, ill consider it after consulting with sat guru maharatji grin grin grin grin
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 14, 2010
when one says people do things like this and 419 and kidnapping because of greed people will be yarning 'boys are angry' opata
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by chosen04(f): 7:39pm On Jul 14, 2010
oyb:

when one says people do things like this and 419 and kidnapping because of greed people will be yarning 'boys are angry' opata
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jul 14, 2010
oyb:

What are you talking about. He didnt do it for greed

“My mother is sick and in critical condition. Her sight is failing and has been diagnosed with partial stroke. I have been solely responsible for her medical bills. When I could no longer settle the bills and the condition is getting worse, I began running around for help when I came across the people that introduced me into drugs. This is my first time. If only I knew, I would have discussed with my best friend but I was warned not to tell anyone,” Ifunanya, who hails from Enugu State stated in tears

I feel bad for him. Wonder whose gonna be taking care of his mother's medical bills now?
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by chosen04(f): 8:18pm On Jul 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

I feel bad for him. Wonder whose gonna be taking care of his mother's medical bills now?

Its a SHE
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jul 14, 2010
chosen04:

Its a SHE
Makes it even more understandable. cry

I wonder what happened to the males in her family.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by otawa: 8:29pm On Jul 14, 2010
many missing facts.

which telecom company is this? could it be road side telecom selling re-charge card?

“My mother is sick and in critical condition. Her sight is failing and has been diagnosed with partial stroke. I have been solely responsible for her medical bills. When I could no longer settle the bills and the condition is getting worse, I began running around for help when I came across the people that introduced me into drugs.

they should investigate if this is true and actual go after those 'drug barons'

finally, if this is her first offence, there is no point to over-punish her.

6month in prison with a fine is enough. we all make mistakes.

After all, Mr Obasanjo and IBB are still roaming the street free after all they have done to us.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 14, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

fl you're teh perfect mark

what do you expect before ' i did it for the money'

a lady in my office - her  husband had a stroke this year - perhaps she too moved cocaine to treat him

29 yr old mgr,no responsibilities  telecomms company cannot afford to treat her mum - bs

she could even have gotten a bank loan - if it came to that

what kind of friends is one keeping - that one gets ibntroduced to drug pushers

story story
the lower cadre is 'na devil push me'
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by otawa: 8:48pm On Jul 14, 2010

a lady in my office - her husband had a stroke this year - perhaps she too moved cocaine to treat him

29 yr old mgr,no responsibilities telecomms company cannot afford to treat her mum - bs

story story

it easy to judge others, but have you live her life?

No matter what, the aim should be to correct and not punish.

She is more useful to us all doing what she learnt in Uni, she deserves to be corrected.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by magana(m): 8:49pm On Jul 14, 2010

many missing facts.

which telecom company is this? could it be road side telecom selling re-charged cards[i][/i][table][/table]

The company is one of the hailing CDMA fixed wireless companies. she is actually the Executive Assistant to the Chief Technical Officer. I used to know her as a gentle, meek and easy going christian girl. but now, Allah save us. see Abdulmutalab too
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 14, 2010
otawa:

it easy to judge others, but have you live her life?

No matter what, the aim should be to correct and not punish.

She is more useful to us all doing what she learnt in Uni, she deserves to be corrected.

this mentality is what makes nigeria what it is -

my mother is sick so i commit a crime?

maybe some of those kidnappers also have sick mothers
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jul 14, 2010
oyb:

a lady in my office - her  husband had a stroke this year - perhaps she too moved cocaine to treat him

29 yr old mgr,no responsibilities  telecomms company cannot afford to treat her mum - bs

story story

I'm not saying that what she did wasnt wrong.

Like Otawa said, if her excuse can be proven and if it can also be proven that this is her first time [unlikely], then your assumption that she did it out of greed is wrong.

As for the bank loan, maybe the bank denied her the loan undecided

otawa:

many missing facts.

which telecom company is this? could it be road side telecom selling re-charge card?

they should investigate if this is true and actual go after those 'drug barons'

finally, if this is her first offence, there is no point to over-punish her.

6month in prison with a fine is enough. we all make mistakes.

After all, Mr Obasanjo and IBB are still roaming the street free after all they have done to us.

Exactly!
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 14, 2010
oyb:

this mentality is what makes nigeria what it is -

my mother is sick so i commit a crime?

maybe some of those kidnappers also have sick mothers
Talk is cheap. I'm sure that if u were in her situation, you'd have done worse. grin

We tend to talk easily when we're watching from afar.

As for your manager's husband, ask her if she has other relatives/FM helping and supporting her financially. You [b]cant [/b]know the whole story.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jul 14, 2010
there is NO excuse for using crime to solve your problems - if the story is even true

you tell me what your mother would think of you if she recovered from an illness to find that you robbed a bank or sold drugs to traet her

would she say o no problem , it was for a good cause -

your causing misery to others to forestall your own misery was the right thing to do?

would it even occur to you in the first place?

THERE IS NO EXCUSe

according to the article she was in uk earlier this yera - probably doing the same thing

if she hadn't been caught, rest assured she'd be doing it again - nothinkg like the lure of easy money
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by otawa: 9:42pm On Jul 14, 2010
there is NO excuse for using crime to solve your problems - if the story is even true

Did you read anywhere we mentioned excuse?

the aim is to correct and not punish, punish does not solve any problem.

Nigeria has been killing armed robbers since donkey years, did it reduced?

there is a distinction between someone misled(first-time offender) and serial offender.

we all make mistakes in life.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by oderemo(m): 9:45pm On Jul 14, 2010
Talk is cheap. I'm sure that if u were in her situation, you'd have done worse.

We tend to talk easily when we're watching from afar.

As for your manager's husband, ask her if she has other relatives/FM helping and supporting her financially. You cant know the whole story.

is that an excuse
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Nobody: 10:20pm On Jul 14, 2010
otawa:

there is a distinction between someone misled(first-time offender) and serial offender.

there are mistakes and there are mistakes

the woman is not a child. she was fully aware of what she was doing

i swear nigerians always haVe something to say - it is our leaders it Is condition

YOU COMMIT A FELONIOUS CRIME AND GET CAUGHT A LEAST HAVE THE BACKBONE TO FACE THE MUSIC
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by hatch: 12:27am On Jul 15, 2010
#topic
That girl should quit playing this sick sympathetic card by bringing her so called sick mom into the picture.It seems most of the people defending this lady are just either gullible our probably outright clueless as well.So I will break it down for you to reconsider your stand.When a drug courier ingests drugs of that quantity in his or her body,first and foremost he or she is a rutheless rogue that has signed a path with the devil because the slightest burst of the drugs inside the persons body means death.That aside,the fact that she has recorded previous trips proves that she is just the proverbial fly that choose to die with the dead body.

#singing
Don't cry for me Argentina,Maradona tried his best but Germany was just a better side.
Nonsense,why not my mother is still a virgin !
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by activities: 1:16am On Jul 15, 2010
This is an innocent girl that was brainwashed by the Lagos Big boys.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by Nobody: 1:58am On Jul 15, 2010
ode remo:

is that an excuse

otawa:

Thanks sweetie for that explanation.

oyb:

there are mistakes and there are mistakes

the woman is not a child. she was fully aware of what she was doing

i swear nigerians always haVe something to say - it is our leaders it Is condition

YOU COMMIT A FELONIOUS CRIME AND GET CAUGHT A LEAST HAVE THE BACKBONE TO FACE THE MUSIC

She didnt do it because she WANTED to commit such crime, some people do it for the money to upgrade their lifestyle. Greed should be punishable to the full extent.

However, I see the chick as a victim, she resorted to this because she thought it was her last option to help save her mother who is ill.

Of course she should be punish, but the judge should try to pity her by decreasing her punishment.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by jensinmi(m): 4:13am On Jul 15, 2010
Lord have mercy.

Young Lady decided to ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM cocaine into the UK.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

PS: First person to get it gets thumbs up.
Re: Telecoms Manager Arrested With Cocaine by naijatoday: 4:55am On Jul 15, 2010
jensinmi:

Lord have mercy.

Young Lady decided to ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM cocaine into the UK.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

PS: First person to get it gets thumbs up.

Zoom Mobile, Owned by a serving senator (cannot remember his name)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Gej And Okonjo-iweala Cia Agents? / Dokubo-asari Warns North Against 2015 Presidency! / Worst President President Nigeria Has Had

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.