Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,589 members, 7,958,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 03:29 AM

Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa (1584 Views)

SHOCKER: Women Protest Lack Of Men To Impregnate Them / Photos: Al Shabaab Militant Group Distributes Cattle's To The Poor In Somalia / Foreigners Are Not Lazy Like You Poor South Africans - Zuma Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Mariory(m): 7:54pm On Jul 14, 2010
Eight Indian states account for more poor people than in the 26 poorest African countries combined, a new measure of global poverty has found.

The Indian states, including Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal, have 421 million "poor" people, the study found.

This is more than the 410 million poor in the poorest African countries, it said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10609407

More people poor in India than the combined poorest in the whole of Africa? Holy Crap!
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by snowdrops(m): 8:02pm On Jul 14, 2010
at least africa still gap somebody for something negative
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Beaf: 12:05am On Jul 15, 2010
Africa wins by the tiniest of margins when population is factored in (India 1.18 billion, Africa 1 billion). We need to work a lil bit harder, so we never have the highest number of poor people per capita.
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Kobojunkie: 2:00am On Jul 15, 2010
Mariory:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10609407

More people poor in India than the combined poorest in the whole of Africa? Holy Crap!

I think you should go back and take time to read that article  . . . ROFLMAO!!! Your conclusion is not correct there!

This is more than the 410 million poor in the poorest African countries, it said.
The measure considers just the poorest African countries.
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Mariory(m): 5:04am On Jul 15, 2010
@Kobojunkie
I think you need to take some time to not only read that article again but, also to read my comment again. ROFLMAO!!!

After you've done that please come back and tell me how the following comment I made
Mariory:

Differs from yours
Kobojunkie:

Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Ibime(m): 8:00am On Jul 15, 2010
Nigeria with population of 120 million is said to be 1/4 of subsaharan Africa.

Therefore it stands to reason that there are ~ 480 million people in sub-saharan Africa. . . . of which 410 million are poor.
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Mariory(m): 2:53pm On Jul 15, 2010
Ibime:

Therefore it stands to reason that there are ~ 480 million people in sub-saharan Africa. . . . of which 410 million are poor.

Hm-mm when you think of it like that, it's pretty dreadful.
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by precap2(m): 4:40pm On Jul 15, 2010
I think that mis-reading is the first cardinal sin that bedeviled this thread.
First:
Ibime:

That report was not talking about sub-Saharan Africa, it was talking about 26 poorest countries.

Kobojunkie:

I think you should go back and take time to read that article  . . . ROFLMAO!!! Your conclusion is not correct there!

If you read well too, you'll find that it considers only 8 Indian states and not the entire India. smiley

But come to think of it: Who are these poor people especially in Nigeria that give us these terrifying figures.

Holla!
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Mariory(m): 7:25pm On Jul 15, 2010
precap2:

First:
That report was not talking about sub-Saharan Africa, it was talking about 26 poorest countries.

I think he had a point especially when you consider that most of the poorest countries in Africa are in Sub Saharan Africa. He made a logical conclusion.
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 15, 2010
Mariory:

@Kobojunkie
I think you need to take some time to not only read that article again but, also to read my comment again. ROFLMAO!!!

After you've done that please come back and tell me how the following comment I made
Differs from yours

Kobo caught making brainless comments again? grin Apparently this is a trend.
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by precap2(m): 8:00pm On Jul 15, 2010
Mariory:

I think he had a point especially when you consider that most of the poorest countries in Africa are in Sub Saharan Africa. He made a logical conclusion.

Now I think you're making an unwarranted claim. Sub Saharan Africa doesn't parade the poorest, unless we need to redefine "sub Saharan" to include the really poor parts of Africa.

Holla!
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by preselect(m): 9:01pm On Jul 15, 2010
davidylan:

Kobo caught making brainless comments again? grin Apparently this is a trend.

an expose on the great kobojunkie whose brain is programmed to make comments before knowing the facts grin
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Mariory(m): 9:20pm On Jul 15, 2010
precap2:

Now I think you're making an unwarranted claim. Sub Saharan Africa doesn't parade the poorest, unless we need to redefine "sub Saharan" to include the really poor parts of Africa.

Holla!

Do you even know what Sub-Saharan Africa means? It is not an unwarranted claim. Sub-Saharan Africa is poorer than North Africa (countries North of the Sahara). Sub-Saharan Africa also consist of many more African countries. Therefore it is a logical claim that the majority of the 26 poorest countries in Africa are located in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 15, 2010
stop comparing Africa with India is an insult to AFRICA . AFRICA is a Continent whereby India is a country pls . Merci
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Mariory(m): 11:32pm On Jul 15, 2010
elodie:

stop comparing Africa with India is an insult to AFRICA . AFRICA is a Continent whereby India is a country pls . Merci

What has that got to do with anything? Of course Africa is a continent and India is a country. No where in this thread has it been said otherwise.
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Basseti: 11:36pm On Jul 15, 2010
Mariory:

What has that got to do with anything? Of course Africa is a continent and India is a country. No where in this thread has it been said otherwise.

Everything, depending on the purpose of the "study"

Its like comparing oranges to apples.

Instead of looking at ABSOLUTE NUMBERS try looking at some ratios. That might tell a different story.
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by precap2(m): 10:12am On Jul 16, 2010
Mariory:

Do you even know what Sub-Saharan Africa means? It is not an unwarranted claim. Sub-Saharan Africa is poorer than North Africa (countries North of the Sahara). Sub-Saharan Africa also consist of many more African countries. Therefore it is a logical claim that the majority of the 26 poorest countries in Africa are located in Sub-Saharan Africa.

There was a little error with that report, it did not state % of poor nations selected.
You would have seen the true picture of North Africa. I need to visit a particular IMF report and when I get to it I'll post it here. I believe you won't imagine the number of poor people in Egypt.

Holla
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Mariory(m): 7:21pm On Jul 16, 2010
Basseti:

Everything, depending on the purpose of the "study"

Its like comparing oranges to apples.

Instead of looking at ABSOLUTE NUMBERS try looking at some ratios. That might tell a different story.

Very true. Although I do believe the folks that performed this study were more interested in the fact that the level of poverty in India is overlooked. I believe that was the main reason for the comparison.

precap2:

There was a little error with that report, it did not state % of poor nations selected.
You would have seen the true picture of North Africa. I need to visit a particular IMF report and when I get to it I'll post it here. I believe you won't imagine the number of poor people in Egypt.

Holla

Of course there is poverty in North Africa there is  no doubt about that. Having said that though this study covered 26 African (poorest) countries. So when you consider countries like DRC, Somalia, Ethiopia, Eriteria, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Uganda, etc plus the poor countries of West Africa are located in Sub-Saharan Africa, you can see how one could have come to that conclusion.
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by precap2(m): 9:07pm On Jul 16, 2010
Mariory:

Of course there is poverty in North Africa there is  no doubt about that. Having said that though this study covered 26 African (poorest) countries. So when you consider countries like DRC, Somalia, Ethiopia, Eriteria, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Uganda, etc plus the poor countries of West Africa are located in Sub-Saharan Africa, you can see how one could have come to that conclusion.

Brilliant, but there was no % to tell us which country contributed how many poor. It's possible that 1 country contributed over 20% of the entire number. Like I mentioned earlier Egypt. Egypt has behind it's glittering facade more % of poor people than many nations labeled sub saharan Africa. But I'll try to get you the report I'm referring to. After all we're all learning at the same time.

Holla!
Re: Shocker: 'More Poor' In India Than Africa by Mariory(m): 9:35pm On Jul 16, 2010
precap2:

Brilliant, but there was no % to tell us which country contributed how many poor. It's possible that 1 country contributed over 20% of the entire number. Like I mentioned earlier Egypt. Egypt has behind it's glittering facade more % of poor people than many nations labeled sub saharan Africa. But I'll try to get you the report I'm referring to. After all we're all learning at the same time.

Holla!

Ok but let's establish one fact then. Egypt is the most populous country in North Africa. Nigeria is the most populous in Africa (and Sub-Saharan Africa). So which of these two countries has the higher number of poor people according to official statistics?

(1) (Reply)

The Man Who Sued God / What Happens If No U.S Presidential Candidate Gets 270 Electoral Votes? / Satan 2: Russia Unveils Deadly Nuclear Missile That Can Wipe Out An Area The Siz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.